Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default making pudding(Jello band) with soy milk

Has anyone ever done this?

Would it set up?

I have in the pantry "better than milk" soy powdered milk that I keep on
hand for reconstituting when needed, or would purchased soy milk be best?

DH is allergic to milk & all derivatives & I want to make a dessert for
Easter (that calls for jello pudding) that he can enjoy with everyone else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise~* wrote:
> Has anyone ever done this?
>
> Would it set up?
>
> I have in the pantry "better than milk" soy powdered milk that I keep
> on hand for reconstituting when needed, or would purchased soy milk
> be best?
>
> DH is allergic to milk & all derivatives & I want to make a dessert
> for Easter (that calls for jello pudding) that he can enjoy with
> everyone else.

Give it a try before Easter. Jell-O pudding is what? 50 cents a box? Soy
milk probably costs a lot more than that but I'd test it out ahead of time
just to see what happens.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Better read the box. When I have looked the mix (cook and instant) all
contain dry milk powder. If your husband is allergic it would likely
bug him.

I make pudding with soy milk all the time as we have milk allergy people
in the family. I use the recipe for vanilla in the Betty Crocker cook
book and just sub soy milk for the regular milk and it works great.
Here's my chocolate pudding recipe; it's from Cooking Light magazine and
originally called for soy milk.

Chocolate Pudding

1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C cornstarch
3 T unsweetened cocoa
1/8 t salt
2 C soy milk
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 t vanilla extract

Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt in a saucepan and stir
until combined. Slowly stir in the soy milk and heat the mixture over
medium heat. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in
chopped chocolate and vanilla until the chocolate is melted. Pour into
dishes (or a pie crust for pie) and cover the surface with plastic wrap
and chill.

marcella

> Denise~* wrote:
> > Has anyone ever done this?
> >
> > Would it set up?
> >
> > I have in the pantry "better than milk" soy powdered milk that I keep
> > on hand for reconstituting when needed, or would purchased soy milk
> > be best?
> >
> > DH is allergic to milk & all derivatives & I want to make a dessert
> > for Easter (that calls for jello pudding) that he can enjoy with
> > everyone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>DH is allergic to milk & all derivatives

Read your label on the Jello brand. I assume it has milk in it. Soy
milk can be successfully used in place of reg milk in some recipes. I
would buy the ready made in the quart. I make quiches with soy milk,
no problem. It should "set up" just fine. The eggs do that part
anyway. It will not taste as "creamy" and it *will* taste "different."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:
> Better read the box. When I have looked the mix (cook and instant) all
> contain dry milk powder. If your husband is allergic it would likely
> bug him.

Yeah, I just realized that today when I looked at the ingredients
(sheepish grin) I didn't think of that at all, but glad I thought of it
while I was standing in front of the Jello section.

> I make pudding with soy milk all the time as we have milk allergy people
> in the family. I use the recipe for vanilla in the Betty Crocker cook
> book and just sub soy milk for the regular milk and it works great.
> Here's my chocolate pudding recipe; it's from Cooking Light magazine and
> originally called for soy milk.
>
> Chocolate Pudding
>
> 1/2 C packed brown sugar
> 1/4 C cornstarch
> 3 T unsweetened cocoa
> 1/8 t salt
> 2 C soy milk
> 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
> 1 t vanilla extract
>
> Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt in a saucepan and stir
> until combined. Slowly stir in the soy milk and heat the mixture over
> medium heat. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in
> chopped chocolate and vanilla until the chocolate is melted. Pour into
> dishes (or a pie crust for pie) and cover the surface with plastic wrap
> and chill.
>
> marcella

Ohh, my gosh, thanks for the recipe! My husband doesn't normally get to
eat pudding. This one is especially nice because it has no soy, so I
could make this more often for him. He is also has a gout problem.
Soy occasionally is fine, but he discovered it made his gout come back
when he had it every day with cereal. I know, he's pretty messed up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:

> 2 C soy milk

OK, I totally did not see this. Ahh, well. Maybe the next time I make
a dessert for a group, such as a cream pie. I could also fold in some
cool whip with it to make it "lighter" like a dream pie?

Like I said, soy occasionally is fine, just not every day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Budd Tugley wrote:

>>DH is allergic to milk & all derivatives

> Read your label on the Jello brand. I assume it has milk in it. Soy

Gaw, I know, I realized that today. I really wish there was a Co. that
specialized in making easy-prep stuff like box pudding totally dairy
free. Even one of our favorite spice packets has it. We just recently
discovered one brand makes it dairy free (Durkee) & another (McCormick)
puts a milk derivative in i. The store I always shop at stopped
carrying the Durkee brand. Grrr!

> milk can be successfully used in place of reg milk in some recipes. I
> would buy the ready made in the quart. I make quiches with soy milk,
> no problem. It should "set up" just fine. The eggs do that part
> anyway. It will not taste as "creamy" and it *will* taste "different."

Ohh, I have replaced soy & the "better than milk" in baked stuff
(biscuits, etc...) & I know, it is OK, but just not the same. I just
wasn't sure about "pudding" since milk can really be important in some
stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Denise~* > wrote:

> Ohh, my gosh, thanks for the recipe! My husband doesn't normally get to
> eat pudding. This one is especially nice because it has no soy, so I
> could make this more often for him. He is also has a gout problem.
> Soy occasionally is fine, but he discovered it made his gout come back
> when he had it every day with cereal. I know, he's pretty messed up.

It does have 2 C soy milk in it. However, I have also used rice milk
and that works just fine as well. I haven't tried the almond milk
though, as the non milk drinker is also allergic to tree nuts, so I
can't say how that one works. Maybe rice milk would work better for
your husband than the soy?

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:11:06 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

>Budd Tugley wrote:
>
>>>DH is allergic to milk & all derivatives

>> Read your label on the Jello brand. I assume it has milk in it. Soy

>Gaw, I know, I realized that today. I really wish there was a Co. that
>specialized in making easy-prep stuff like box pudding totally dairy
>free. Even one of our favorite spice packets has it. We just recently
>discovered one brand makes it dairy free (Durkee) & another (McCormick)
>puts a milk derivative in i. The store I always shop at stopped
>carrying the Durkee brand. Grrr!

Try this stuff (and the whole Pangea store):

http://www.veganstore.com/index-stor...temsperpage=12

Also, you can use rice or nut milk instead of soy milk. Here's how I
make it, and it works well in all soymilk uses:

1 cup of cooked rice (white or brown) or raw nuts (almonds, cashews --
others will probably work, but those are the ones I use)
4 cups of water

Blend in a blender or food processor. Strain. If desired, add a
little vanilla and sugar, but I don't bother. Refrigerate and use
within 3 days.

Serene