Old 14-04-2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scrambled eggs with mayo?

I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a thing, and
I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen more then a
couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall anyone ever
putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

"Always do sober what you said you`d do drunk. That will teach you to
keep your mouth shut" - Ernest Hemingway

Old 14-04-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Lovely EvilOne wrote:
I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. [snip] Does anyone here do this?

Not me. Toast, mayo, lettuce, tomato and egg makes a good sandwich
occasionally. That's as close as mayo gets to scramled eggs here.
(Actually, I make this sandwich with a fried egg sometimes, too)
-aem

Old 14-04-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne wrote:

I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a thing, and
I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen more then a
couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall anyone ever
putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

I can't say that it sounds disgusting. I just don't see the point in adding it
to the eggs. I can understand using some as a condiment if someone has
overcooked scrambled eggs. I like mine nice and wet.

Old 14-04-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in
:

Lovely EvilOne wrote:

I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a
food blog in which the writer described and photographed making the
best scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a
thing, and I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen
more then a couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall
anyone ever putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

I can't say that it sounds disgusting. I just don't see the point in
adding it to the eggs. I can understand using some as a condiment if
someone has overcooked scrambled eggs. I like mine nice and wet.

Sounds like a quickie hot deviled eggs scramble now that I think about it.

Andy
Old 14-04-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
scrambled eggs ever - with mayo

Mayo is JUST FAT. Most of us use butter...mayo adds a different
flavor dimension.

Mayo is made with egg yolks and oil with an emulsifier and a bit of
seasoning. It is high in fat, but not just fat.

Old 15-04-2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:11:17 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

Ward Abbott wrote:

I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
scrambled eggs ever - with mayo

Mayo is JUST FAT. Most of us use butter...mayo adds a different
flavor dimension.

Mayo is made with egg yolks and oil with an emulsifier and a bit of
seasoning. It is high in fat, but not just fat.

You must have a different "bottle" of Hellmann's Mayo.

MY Hellmann's (the ONLY brand of mayo I use, along with most of the
free world) list ingredients as: soybean OIL, water, whole eggs and
egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, etc, etc.

I am positive YOU know that the FIRST ingredient in any packaged
product it the most prevalent...and reducing in quantity as listed.

I repeat....MAYO is JUST FAT.....my people call it soybean OIL.

Did you notice that WATER precedes whole eggs and egg yolks? Check
your facts first.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Old 15-04-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:40:04 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:

I have never added mayo to scrambled eggs but it sounds interesting...
kinda'. I use mayo on egg sandwiches and I'll make an occasional egg and
english muffin thing using mayo, lettuce, tomato (when in season) and
bacon.

Have you ever coated your bacon slices in flour and then fried? Nice
touch

Old 15-04-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:04:46 GMT, Ward Abbott
wrote:

Have you ever coated your bacon slices in flour and then fried? Nice
touch

Oh, now that's just plain evil! We're having bacon cheeseburgers
later. Hmmmmmm

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Old 15-04-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

Mayo is JUST FAT. Most of us use butter...mayo adds a different
flavor dimension.

Mayo is made with egg yolks and oil with an emulsifier and a bit of
seasoning. It is high in fat, but not just fat.

You must have a different "bottle" of Hellmann's Mayo.

MY Hellmann's (the ONLY brand of mayo I use, along with most of the
free world) list ingredients as: soybean OIL, water, whole eggs and
egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, etc, etc.

Yes, my JAR of Hellmans indicated that the primary ingredient is OIL. It has
all those other high fat ingredients. is not JUST fat.

I am positive YOU know that the FIRST ingredient in any packaged
product it the most prevalent...and reducing in quantity as listed.

I KNOW that the FIRST ingredient is the MOST PREVALENT, I also KNOW that the
MOST PREVALENT ingredient is not THE ONLY ingredient.

I repeat....MAYO is JUST FAT.....my people call it soybean OIL.

And looking at the ingredients that YOU posted I will thank you for proving my
point that it is not all fat.

Did you notice that WATER precedes whole eggs and egg yolks? Check
your facts first.

Yes, I saw that. The last time I checked WATER was not ALL FAT.
I can check that fact for you if you insist, but I am counting on you realizing
how stupid that sounds before I bother.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

FWIW, I seldom use mayo. If I am counting on doing something with mayo, I make
it, and the recipe I use has egg yolks and olive oil with some bustard, salt
and pepper.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

LOL You talk about recipes and then cite the label on your mayo jar.

Old 15-04-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

Have you ever coated your bacon slices in flour and then fried? Nice
touch

Is that a rhetorical question, or should I say "no" ?

Old 15-04-2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-15, gary wrote:

spoonful of mayo in with the eggs as he was scrambling them. Makes them
nice and creamy.

Assuming you've put oil in the skillet prior to adding eggs, adding
mayo is essentially adding uncooked oil and eggs to cooked oil and
eggs. It doesn't make them creamy, it makes them more oily.

nb