Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean dip recipe?

Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)

All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.

I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
might not be pretty...

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
> might not be pretty...
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Jeez, it's not pretty anyway!
¿Why not just thin out some refritos and stir in some pureed jalapeños?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> lard. Emaciate with a stick blender. Add more fresh or pickled
> jalapeno.
>
> -sw

?Emaciate? ?Que?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:31:42 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Rehydrate dried beans. Simmer beans. Drain beans reserving some
>liquid. Add chopped onions, garlic, salt, pepper. Simmer. Add
>lard. Emaciate

*giggle*

>with a stick blender.

My stick blender makes refried beans too liquified. I prefer them
mashed.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:53:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
>> makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)
>>
>> All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.
>>
>> I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
>> might not be pretty...

> Get a can of *good* refried beans, like Ortega or Taco Bell, mix
> in fresh or pickled chopped jalapenos and salt.
>
> I make my own refried beans, but since I don't follow a strict
> recipe, they turn out differently every time. It would go
> something like:
>
> Rehydrate dried beans. Simmer beans. Drain beans reserving some
> liquid. Add chopped onions, garlic, salt, pepper. Simmer. Add
> lard. Emaciate with a stick blender. Add more fresh or pickled
> jalapeno.
>
> -sw

Oh no. Taco Bell are the worst refried beans around. They taste nasty.
Old El Paso would be better.
Actually, I make my own refried beans because they all have a bit of an
aftertaste.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
> makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)
>
> All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.
>
> I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
> might not be pretty...
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Jalapeno Bean Dip

16oz can Pinto Beans - drained, mashed
5 jalapeno peppers or (one 4-ounce can)- diced
2 Tbs Onion - chopped
1 clove Garlic - minced
1 or 2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
salt to taste

Blend ingredients well and serve

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
> makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)
>
> All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.
>
> I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
> might not be pretty...
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

>From the Fritos website:

http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/c...rodID_3183.htm

Fritos Hot Bean Dip with Jalapeno Peppers

Ingredients:

Water
Pinto Beans
Red and Green Jalapeno peppers
Vinegar
vegetable oil
salt
Spices
Onion powder
sugar
Garlic powder
natural and artificial flavors

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Get a can of Ranch Style Beans- jalapeno if you wish and put in the food
processor- I guarantee it will taste like the Fritos stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Decimate? ?Que? Did you mean macerate?

Pulperize? ?Que? This is too funny. Do it some more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:01:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >
> >> lard. Emaciate with a stick blender. Add more fresh or pickled
> >> jalapeno.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > ?Emaciate? ?Que?

> Just seeing if you folks were paying attention <cough>.
> How about: Decimate. I keep part of it chunky rather than
> pulperizing all of it.
>
> -sw

If you'da just said smash them you'da been ahead of the game, Dud. I
mean, Dude!! "-)
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:53:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
> >> makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)
> >>
> >> All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.
> >>
> >> I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
> >> might not be pretty...

> > Get a can of *good* refried beans, like Ortega or Taco Bell, mix
> > in fresh or pickled chopped jalapenos and salt.
> >
> > I make my own refried beans, but since I don't follow a strict
> > recipe, they turn out differently every time. It would go
> > something like:
> >
> > Rehydrate dried beans. Simmer beans. Drain beans reserving some
> > liquid. Add chopped onions, garlic, salt, pepper. Simmer. Add
> > lard. Emaciate with a stick blender. Add more fresh or pickled
> > jalapeno.

Add lard to a pan and plop in the beans. That way they fry slightly as
the lard is absorbed. Lard is easily acquired. Just use bacon grease
to fry potatoes in a few times. The smoky, bacony flavor gets absorbed
by the potatoes (which makes the potatoes yummier), and you're left
with lard. Leave out the pickled jalapenos. Ideally, simmer whole
chiles in the beans for a few hours.

> > -sw

> Oh no. Taco Bell are the worst refried beans around. They taste nasty.

I'll second that. They are the worst refried beans I've ever tasted

> Old El Paso would be better.
> Actually, I make my own refried beans because they all have a bit of an
> aftertaste.

I eat too much canned ones. I don't know how to justify my laziness.
I guess it's that I do like some of the canned ones. My favorites were
the Shop'n Save store brand fat free (Supervalu), but the quit making
those, and now have this brand named Carlita that's nowhere near as
good.

> Janet

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:53:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
> > >

> > Oh no. Taco Bell are the worst refried beans around. They taste nasty.

> I'll second that. They are the worst refried beans I've ever tasted
>
> > Old El Paso would be better.
> > Actually, I make my own refried beans because they all have a bit of an
> > aftertaste.

> I eat too much canned ones. I don't know how to justify my laziness.
> I guess it's that I do like some of the canned ones. My favorites were
> the Shop'n Save store brand fat free (Supervalu), but the quit making
> those, and now have this brand named Carlita that's nowhere near as
> good.
>
> > Janet

I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my own.
What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

Personally, I think black beans have a much better flavor.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty already posted a very good recipe, but I'll add a slightly
different take.

I can of refried beans or mashed beans of choice
I like Rosarita, but the local stores stopped carrying it.
3/4 cup (more or less to taste) of chopped jalepenos
1 or 2 spring onions, chopped
juice from half a lime
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 half cup of grated cheese
1 quarter cup of fresh cilantro, chopped

heat beans in microwave until soft enough to stir
stir in everything else except cilantro
heat until bubbly
stir in cilantro

serve with tortilla chips

Adding garlic helps, and the recipe is simplified by adding salsa
instead of chopped onions and peppers.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > > >

> > > Oh no. Taco Bell are the worst refried beans around. They taste nasty.

> > I'll second that. They are the worst refried beans I've ever tasted
> >
> > > Old El Paso would be better.
> > > Actually, I make my own refried beans because they all have a bit of an
> > > aftertaste.

> > I eat too much canned ones. I don't know how to justify my laziness.
> > I guess it's that I do like some of the canned ones. My favorites were
> > the Shop'n Save store brand fat free (Supervalu), but the quit making
> > those, and now have this brand named Carlita that's nowhere near as
> > good.
> >
> > > Janet

> I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my own.
> What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

Yes, but add salt to taste then water them down a bit more again, and
fry them in lard or extra light olive oil. Make a bunch and
refrigerate the leftovers. Each time you get them out, redilute and
cook down the whole bunch again. The idea is that each time you
"refry" them, they get better.

> Personally, I think black beans have a much better flavor.

You can do the same with black beans, but they are a bitch to squash by
hand, so for them I always use a blender. You can also mix the two. I
go for 4 or 5 times as many pintos as black beans, but that's just me.
I also like to cook them down slowly for several hours with whole
chiles, usually jalapeños.

The already mentioned Taco Bell canned beans mixes pintos with pink
beans, giving them their off flavor (I dislike pink beans).

> kili

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in message
oups.com...

kilikini wrote:
> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > > >

> I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my

own.
> What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

Yes, but add salt to taste then water them down a bit more again, and
fry them in lard or extra light olive oil. Make a bunch and
refrigerate the leftovers. Each time you get them out, redilute and
cook down the whole bunch again. The idea is that each time you
"refry" them, they get better.

> Personally, I think black beans have a much better flavor.

You can do the same with black beans, but they are a bitch to squash by
hand, so for them I always use a blender. You can also mix the two. I
go for 4 or 5 times as many pintos as black beans, but that's just me.
I also like to cook them down slowly for several hours with whole
chiles, usually jalapeños.

The already mentioned Taco Bell canned beans mixes pintos with pink
beans, giving them their off flavor (I dislike pink beans).

--Bryan

I've never had refried black beans before. I didn't know such a thing
existed, but I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for your help.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:

> kilikini wrote:
>
>>"Food Snob" > wrote in message
groups.com...

> [...]
.. .

>>>I'll second that. They are the worst refried beans I've ever tasted

>>>I eat too much canned ones. I don't know how to justify my laziness.
>>>I guess it's that I do like some of the canned ones. My favorites were
>>>the Shop'n Save store brand fat free (Supervalu), but the quit making
>>>those, and now have this brand named Carlita that's nowhere near as
>>>good.

>>I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my own.
>>What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

> Yes, but add salt to taste then water them down a bit more again,

Water? no chicken or beef stock?

and
> fry them in lard or extra light olive oil. Make a bunch and
> refrigerate the leftovers. Each time you get them out, redilute and
> cook down the whole bunch again. The idea is that each time you
> "refry" them, they get better.
>
>>Personally, I think black beans have a much better flavor.

> You can do the same with black beans, but they are a bitch to squash by
> hand, so for them I always use a blender. You can also mix the two. I
> go for 4 or 5 times as many pintos as black beans, but that's just me.
> I also like to cook them down slowly for several hours with whole
> chiles, usually jalapeños.
>
> The already mentioned Taco Bell canned beans mixes pintos with pink
> beans, giving them their off flavor (I dislike pink beans).

Using the same technique with great northern or white beans is nice to
have on hand, great for making soup or adding to sauce. Freeze the
pureed beans without any additions and add what you need as necessary,
garlic, butter, shallots, sage, oregano, blue cheese, white wine etc.
---
JL

>>kili

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:27:50 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my own.
>What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

You cook the beans until they're soft, then you mash them and cook
them again. Some people use lard at this stage. I either do them
without any fat, or with oil/butter.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:41:18 -0700, Serene wrote:
>
> > You cook the beans until they're soft, then you mash them and cook
> > them again. Some people use lard at this stage. I either do them
> > without any fat, or with oil/butter.

> I use butter before I use lard. I'm always running low on
> butter, though, so I always have some lard available.
>
> I think I'm gonna make some beans now... I'm having tacos
> tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.
>
> -sw

We always have butter and lard on hand as well. Which does anyone think is
best? Has anyone besides Steve used just butter?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-14, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.

Soak, quick-soak,.... humbug! Wash some beans, put 'em in water, and
boil the damn things. Soaking beans is a hoax. It gives you beans
that turn to mush before the skin is soft. Boil 'em right from the
get go and the skins will practically disintergrate before the beans
are done. This is specially noticeable with thick skin beans like
lima and kidney.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-04-14, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> > tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.

> Soak, quick-soak,.... humbug! Wash some beans, put 'em in water, and
> boil the damn things. Soaking beans is a hoax. It gives you beans
> that turn to mush before the skin is soft. Boil 'em right from the
> get go and the skins will practically disintergrate before the beans
> are done. This is specially noticeable with thick skin beans like
> lima and kidney.
>
> nb

To de-gas the beans, I boil for 5-minutes, turn off heat, soak 1-hour,
rinse, add more water and then boil until done. This technique works,
believe me! ;-)

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
> makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)
>
> All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.
>
> I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
> might not be pretty...
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

This is not what you asked for, but it is easy, and it is good, and
messy too .
One can Chili- with beans
brick of Velveeta cheese... Yes Velveeta-- a small one
a couple of jalapenos, finely chopped.

Put Chili in a oven dish add chopped Jalapenos, and grate or chop the
Velveeta into the biwl, stir this mees up and backe at 300 for about
half an hour. Fills the craving niche.
Serve with Fritos..

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Food Snob wrote:
>
> > kilikini wrote:
> >
> >>"Food Snob" > wrote in message
> groups.com...

> .. .

> >>I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my own.
> >>What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

> > Yes, but add salt to taste then water them down a bit more again,

> Water? no chicken or beef stock?

You could. That's just not the way it's usually done. My sister was
never w/o beans in the fridge to refry.

> and
> > fry them in lard or extra light olive oil. Make a bunch and
> > refrigerate the leftovers. Each time you get them out, redilute and
> > cook down the whole bunch again. The idea is that each time you
> > "refry" them, they get better.
> >
> >>Personally, I think black beans have a much better flavor.

> > You can do the same with black beans, but they are a bitch to squash by
> > hand, so for them I always use a blender. You can also mix the two. I
> > go for 4 or 5 times as many pintos as black beans, but that's just me.
> > I also like to cook them down slowly for several hours with whole
> > chiles, usually jalapeños.
> >
> > The already mentioned Taco Bell canned beans mixes pintos with pink
> > beans, giving them their off flavor (I dislike pink beans).

> Using the same technique with great northern or white beans is nice to
> have on hand, great for making soup or adding to sauce. Freeze the
> pureed beans without any additions and add what you need as necessary,
> garlic, butter, shallots, sage, oregano, blue cheese, white wine etc.

I absolutely HATE great northern beans, to the point that they provoke
rage.

> ---
> JL
> >
> >>kili

> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"rosie" > wrote:

> This is not what you asked for, but it is easy, and it is good, and
> messy too .
> One can Chili- with beans
> brick of Velveeta cheese... Yes Velveeta-- a small one
> a couple of jalapenos, finely chopped.
>
> Put Chili in a oven dish add chopped Jalapenos, and grate or chop the
> Velveeta into the biwl, stir this mees up and backe at 300 for about
> half an hour. Fills the craving niche.
> Serve with Fritos..
>
> Rosie

Or use the Velveeta with the peppers in it and nuke at medium-high power
for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Most of the recipes I've seen
use the Hormel Chili without Beans.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Apr 2006 20:03:08 -0700, Food Snob wrote:

> I absolutely HATE great northern beans, to the point that they provoke
> rage.

You don't have anything better to get all worked up about?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Bean burrito recipe Ken[_9_] General Cooking 12 10-09-2008 09:03 PM
REQ: Fritos Bean Dip Recipe Recipes 1 25-01-2006 04:56 AM
Need baked bean recipe. Julie Bove Diabetic 22 28-07-2005 11:14 PM
Green bean recipe? Vegan 1 29-08-2004 06:50 PM
Need a bean recipe.... JNJ Vegan 3 11-11-2003 09:36 AM