Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tim Horton's in Afganistan?

I heard about a TH opening in Afghanistan on the CBC -- Kandahar (sp?) I
think they said. It sounded credible until they played a hilarious
"Recruitment" tape that spoofed the whole thing.

The original newscast sounded realistic though, so I am wondering. They
said it was a way to bring a little "home" to the Canadian Army Base where
they plan to put it. What with Halliburton contracting to provide food
service for the Americans in Iraq, Tim Horton's doing it isn't all that
strange.

Anybody heard?
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message

> "Lefty" > wrote in message
>>I heard about a TH opening in Afghanistan on the CBC -- Kandahar (sp?) I
>> think they said. It sounded credible until they played a hilarious
>> "Recruitment" tape that spoofed the whole thing.
>>
>> The original newscast sounded realistic though, so I am wondering. They
>> said it was a way to bring a little "home" to the Canadian Army Base
>> where
>> they plan to put it. What with Halliburton contracting to provide food
>> service for the Americans in Iraq, Tim Horton's doing it isn't all that
>> strange.
>>
>> Anybody heard?
>> --
>> Lefty
>>

> Yes, I think I saw that somewhere too.
>
> Halliburton was connected to VP Cheney, right? I read a book dealing with
> all the shady, crooked deals they had made!

Yes, there may have been a little something in the news about the
connection. Not sure, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" > wrote in message
>I heard about a TH opening in Afghanistan on the CBC -- Kandahar (sp?) I
> think they said. It sounded credible until they played a hilarious
> "Recruitment" tape that spoofed the whole thing.
>
> The original newscast sounded realistic though, so I am wondering. They
> said it was a way to bring a little "home" to the Canadian Army Base where
> they plan to put it. What with Halliburton contracting to provide food
> service for the Americans in Iraq, Tim Horton's doing it isn't all that
> strange.
>
> Anybody heard?
> --
> Lefty

Yes, I think I saw that somewhere too.

Halliburton was connected to VP Cheney, right? I read a book dealing with
all the shady, crooked deals they had made!

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> I heard about a TH opening in Afghanistan on the CBC -- Kandahar (sp?) I
> think they said. It sounded credible until they played a hilarious
> "Recruitment" tape that spoofed the whole thing.
>
> The original newscast sounded realistic though, so I am wondering. They
> said it was a way to bring a little "home" to the Canadian Army Base where
> they plan to put it. What with Halliburton contracting to provide food
> service for the Americans in Iraq, Tim Horton's doing it isn't all that
> strange.

I think that we are inheriting the mess and all the marketing gimmicks that go
with it. Granted, the untendered contracts on the repair to oil facilities in
Iraq before the war even started were infinitely more lucrative. Now the US us
pulling out of Afghanistan and we are increasing our presence there. I don't
know how we got sucked into that. We were under the impression a few years
ago that we were helping to rid the country of a regime that prosecuted people
for religious crimes, like not being Muslim. Now we are helping to protect a
government that was prosecuting a man for converting from Islam to
Christianity. Buts to that. The US helped make the mess in Afghanistan by
funding Islamic fundamentalists to fight the Russians. Then they left all
those private armies to fend for themselves. I bet they are wishing they had
left the Russians to deal with the fundies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Lefty wrote:
>
>> I heard about a TH opening in Afghanistan on the CBC -- Kandahar (sp?) I
>> think they said. It sounded credible until they played a hilarious
>> "Recruitment" tape that spoofed the whole thing.
>>
>> The original newscast sounded realistic though, so I am wondering. They
>> said it was a way to bring a little "home" to the Canadian Army Base
>> where
>> they plan to put it. What with Halliburton contracting to provide food
>> service for the Americans in Iraq, Tim Horton's doing it isn't all that
>> strange.

> I think that we are inheriting the mess and all the marketing gimmicks
> that go
> with it. Granted, the untendered contracts on the repair to oil facilities
> in
> Iraq before the war even started were infinitely more lucrative. Now the
> US us
> pulling out of Afghanistan and we are increasing our presence there. I
> don't
> know how we got sucked into that. We were under the impression a few
> years
> ago that we were helping to rid the country of a regime that prosecuted
> people
> for religious crimes, like not being Muslim. Now we are helping to protect
> government that was prosecuting a man for converting from Islam to
> Christianity. Buts to that. The US helped make the mess in Afghanistan
> by
> funding Islamic fundamentalists to fight the Russians. Then they left all
> those private armies to fend for themselves. I bet they are wishing they
> had
> left the Russians to deal with the fundies.

You can rest assured that nobody in the White House has any understanding of
what they've done. Every honest book I've ever read about Vietnam says we
either failed to understand the underlying culture, or ignored what little
we did know, because it was convenient. We've done the same in the Middle
East and I'm 100% sure we'll repeat it somewhere else in the future.
Meanwhile, we have the ways & means to effect change in more subtle ways,
but because they tend to be covert, they're not as exciting to politicians
as they are to the spies who conduct these operations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> > for religious crimes, like not being Muslim. Now we are helping to protect
> > government that was prosecuting a man for converting from Islam to
> > Christianity. Buts to that. The US helped make the mess in Afghanistan
> > by
> > funding Islamic fundamentalists to fight the Russians. Then they left all
> > those private armies to fend for themselves. I bet they are wishing they
> > had
> > left the Russians to deal with the fundies.
> >

> You can rest assured that nobody in the White House has any understanding of
> what they've done.

I cannot rest assured that that don't have any understanding of what they have
done because they continue to ac without any understanding of what they were
doing. The US had a lot of sympathy internationally after the attacks of 9/11
and Bush has squandered all that good will. Most of his friends and allies
warned him not to invade Iraq. We didn't believe the "intelligence" about WMDs
in Iraq, which has since been acknowledged by the White House to have been
faulty, and we knew that it would open up a hornets nest, which it has.

> Every honest book I've ever read about Vietnam says we
> either failed to understand the underlying culture, or ignored what little
> we did know, because it was convenient.

Big time involvement in that one was based on false information too. The Gulf of
Tonkin incident where US ships were supposedly torpedoed by North Vietnamese
boats never happened.

> We've done the same in the Middle East and I'm 100% sure we'll repeat it
> somewhere else in the future. Meanwhile, we have the ways & means to effect
> change in more subtle ways,
> but because they tend to be covert, they're not as exciting to politicians as
> they are to the spies who conduct these operations.

You should learn to fight the good fight with your allies. We had good reason
to go to war in 1914 when Germany invaded France, but the US would not come to
our aid until they had to deal with the reality of German attacks on their own
interests. You didn't come to stand by us in 1939 when Germany violated the
terms of the Versailles Treaty and attempts at appeasement and invaded Poland.

What a coincidence here..... I have NPR on and they just quoted Bush as claiming
he had proof of WMDs in Iraq from a newscast in 2003.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, they are opening a Tim Hortons in Kandahar. Here is the website
where you will find confirmation of the announcement.

http://www.timhortons.com/en/news/news_releases.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> Every honest book I've ever read about Vietnam says we
>> either failed to understand the underlying culture, or ignored what
>> little
>> we did know, because it was convenient.

> Big time involvement in that one was based on false information too. The
> Gulf of
> Tonkin incident where US ships were supposedly torpedoed by North
> Vietnamese
> boats never happened.

It's even worse than you think. The suits who dreamt up the domino theory
vanished conveniently into academia in the late 1960s. Meanwhile, though,
there were still politicians who thought the North Vietnamese would overrun
Australia. And, there were people who believed this nonsense, like my dad.
That changed when I turned 18 and entered the draft lottery. Then, he
changed his tune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

huh.
at least they will get coffee before they die fighting an oil war.

The whole thing makes me sick.

"Gabby" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes, they are opening a Tim Hortons in Kandahar. Here is the website
> where you will find confirmation of the announcement.
>
> http://www.timhortons.com/en/news/news_releases.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> It's even worse than you think. The suits who dreamt up the domino theory
> vanished conveniently into academia in the late 1960s. Meanwhile, though,
> there were still politicians who thought the North Vietnamese would overrun
> Australia. And, there were people who believed this nonsense, like my dad.
> That changed when I turned 18 and entered the draft lottery. Then, he
> changed his tune.

And all the Vietnamese wanted was to have their country back. Instead, the
Allies gave it back to the French. The people turned to the Vietminh for help
and they got support from the communists. They could have save 60,000 lives, a
lot of injuries and a billions of dollars if they has accepted it as a
nationalist fight instead of a communist issue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Yes, they are opening a Tim Hortons in Kandahar.

Try the opium-filled eclairs. They're to die for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Knit Chic wrote:

> huh.
> at least they will get coffee before they die fighting an oil war.
>
> The whole thing makes me sick.

Oil war? There's no oil in Afghanistan!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Knit Chic wrote:
>
> > huh.
> > at least they will get coffee before they die fighting an oil war.
> >
> > The whole thing makes me sick.

> Oil war? There's no oil in Afghanistan!

Actually, there is oil in Afghanistan, and natural gas. I think the
bigger oil related issue is the hope for an oil pipeline across the
country to transport Caspian oil, but that can't be done until the
country is stabilized. I recall comments about talks with the Taliban to
build a pipeline breaking off just before the 9/11 talks, but I question
the credibility.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith a écrit :

> Actually, there is oil in Afghanistan, and natural gas. I think the
> bigger oil related issue is the hope for an oil pipeline across the
> country to transport Caspian oil, but that can't be done until the
> country is stabilized. I recall comments about talks with the Taliban to
> build a pipeline breaking off just before the 9/11 talks, but I question
> the credibility.

It was UNOCAL which announced that the pipeline from Turkmenistan to
the Indian Ocean could not be built as long as the Taliban were in
power. This of course explains the US administration's shift from
al-Qaeda to the removal of the Taliban and it also explains why there
are people in Afghanistan who rightfully resist this imperialist
invasion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, let's consult the map, shall we?

http://www.map-zone.net/img/continen...e-east/map.gif

Now, what do Iraq and Afghanistan have in common? Why does the current
administration continue to look the other way regarding Pakistan?

What do these 3 countries have in common? Gee, what could it be?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ace Berserker a écrit :

> Now, what do Iraq and Afghanistan have in common? Why does the current
> administration continue to look the other way regarding Pakistan?

You means besides the fact that there's only Tim Horton's for the three
countries? They're all part of USCENTCOM (aka McWorld) :-)

http://www.dod.gov/specials/unifiedc...onsibility.jpg

Perhaps this image should be renamed Area of Irresponsibility :-)