Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long is meat good out of refrigeration?

I accidentally left out a steak all night. I got home about 11pm and
put away my groceries. Somehow I missed this bag. It's a nice ribeye
steak, and it has been out of refrigeration for 16 hours. Is it still
okay to cook and eat? I put into the fridge while i think about it. I
hate to throw it away. It was pretty spendy, and I haven't had one
since January. But I don't want to get sick either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I accidentally left out a steak all night. I got home about 11pm and
> put away my groceries. Somehow I missed this bag. It's a nice ribeye
> steak, and it has been out of refrigeration for 16 hours. Is it still
> okay to cook and eat? I put into the fridge while i think about it. I
> hate to throw it away. It was pretty spendy, and I haven't had one
> since January. But I don't want to get sick either.

If you haven't eaten it yet, I would suggest marinating it in some
whiskey with a bit of Dijon mustard in it. The alcohol will kill the
bacteria.

I know that steaks are expensive and you hate to waste the money. I had
one good dose of food poisoning about 35 years ago. It hit me about 5
hours after the meal that I got it from. I made it home in time to run
down to the washroom and start puking. I puked and wretched for 5 hours.
If you have never wretched until it felt like your guts where turning
inside out you have no inkling of what a horrible experience it can be.

The whiskey idea is just a suggestion. The next paragraph describes the
risk factor. It's up to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> " wrote:
>

>>I accidentally left out a steak all night. I got home about 11pm and
>>put away my groceries. Somehow I missed this bag. It's a nice ribeye
>>steak, and it has been out of refrigeration for 16 hours. Is it still
>>okay to cook and eat? I put into the fridge while i think about it. I
>>hate to throw it away. It was pretty spendy, and I haven't had one
>>since January. But I don't want to get sick either.

16 hours at room temperature is too long. Unless you're
starving and it's your last scrap of food, you should
throw it out. I feel your pain, though.

> If you haven't eaten it yet, I would suggest marinating it in some
> whiskey with a bit of Dijon mustard in it. The alcohol will kill the
> bacteria.

Bad advice, Dave. Alcohol won't make spoiled meat safe again.
It's not just the bacteria themselves that cause illness,
but the toxins they generate and leave behind. Alcohol
won't destroy those.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> " wrote:
>>

>>> I accidentally left out a steak all night. I got home about 11pm and
>>> put away my groceries. Somehow I missed this bag. It's a nice ribeye
>>> steak, and it has been out of refrigeration for 16 hours. Is it still
>>> okay to cook and eat? I put into the fridge while i think about it. I
>>> hate to throw it away. It was pretty spendy, and I haven't had one
>>> since January. But I don't want to get sick either.

> 16 hours at room temperature is too long. Unless you're
> starving and it's your last scrap of food, you should
> throw it out. I feel your pain, though.
>
>> If you haven't eaten it yet, I would suggest marinating it in some
>> whiskey with a bit of Dijon mustard in it. The alcohol will kill the
>> bacteria.
>>

> Bad advice, Dave. Alcohol won't make spoiled meat safe again.
> It's not just the bacteria themselves that cause illness,
> but the toxins they generate and leave behind. Alcohol
> won't destroy those.

No, but high heat will. I would pan-fry the steak and see if it smelled
OK. I might rinse it first. I wouldn't grill it because that would
mess up the smell test.

I would not do this with ground meat, although I have cooked ground meat
that didn't smell exactly "fresh". I didn't make patties, I broke it up
and cooked it loose just to make sure I killed all the beasties.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

>>> If you haven't eaten it yet, I would suggest marinating it in some
>>> whiskey with a bit of Dijon mustard in it. The alcohol will kill the
>>> bacteria.
>>>

>> Bad advice, Dave. Alcohol won't make spoiled meat safe again.
>> It's not just the bacteria themselves that cause illness,
>> but the toxins they generate and leave behind. Alcohol
>> won't destroy those.
>>

> No, but high heat will. I would pan-fry the steak and see if it smelled
> OK. I might rinse it first. I wouldn't grill it because that would
> mess up the smell test.

High heat will kill the bacteria but as previously mentioned will do
nothing about the toxins that are produced by the bacteria.

> I would not do this with ground meat, although I have cooked ground meat
> that didn't smell exactly "fresh". I didn't make patties, I broke it up
> and cooked it loose just to make sure I killed all the beasties.
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

>>> Bad advice, Dave. Alcohol won't make spoiled meat safe again.
>>> It's not just the bacteria themselves that cause illness,
>>> but the toxins they generate and leave behind. Alcohol
>>> won't destroy those.
>>>

>> No, but high heat will. I would pan-fry the steak and see if it
>> smelled OK. I might rinse it first. I wouldn't grill it because that
>> would mess up the smell test.

> High heat will kill the bacteria but as previously mentioned will do
> nothing about the toxins that are produced by the bacteria.

If the toxins are on the surface of the meat and haven't penetrated too
far, they will be denatured by high-heat cooking if they are proteins.
If they are polysacharides, the cooking might not be long enough to
destroy all of it. (Depending on the spoilage bacteria, the toxins
could be either protein- or polysacharide-based. When I said the above,
I thought they were all proteins)

I would still trust my nose on this one. That's why God gave me a nose.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I accidentally left out a steak all night. I got home about 11pm and
> put away my groceries. Somehow I missed this bag. It's a nice ribeye
> steak, and it has been out of refrigeration for 16 hours. Is it still
> okay to cook and eat? I put into the fridge while i think about it. I
> hate to throw it away. It was pretty spendy, and I haven't had one
> since January. But I don't want to get sick either.

This can be expressed as an equation. Let's say
A = % risk that this piece of meat is dangerously poisonous
B = $ cost of this piece of meat
C = $ value of your life

if C < A x B, don't eat it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> >
> > This can be expressed as an equation. Let's say
> > A = % risk that this piece of meat is dangerously poisonous
> > B = $ cost of this piece of meat
> > C = $ value of your life
> >
> > if C < A x B, don't eat it!

> Doncha mean C >= AB? (I'll bet you were just testing us)
>
> The trick is figuring out the value of A.

I think you misunderstand. I meant that you're not
worthy enough to eat this piece of meat. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> >
> > Mark Thorson wrote:
> > >
> > > This can be expressed as an equation. Let's say
> > > A = % risk that this piece of meat is dangerously poisonous
> > > B = $ cost of this piece of meat
> > > C = $ value of your life
> > >
> > > if C < A x B, don't eat it!

> > Doncha mean C >= AB? (I'll bet you were just testing us)
> >
> > The trick is figuring out the value of A.

> I think you misunderstand. I meant that you're not
> worthy enough to eat this piece of meat. :-)

D = % smell change from fresh ones
E = % colour change from fresh ones

A = D x E
C < A x B = D x E x B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:

> D = % smell change from fresh ones
> E = % colour change from fresh ones
>
> A = D x E
> C < A x B = D x E x B

If the meat is treated with carbon monoxide (like bus fumes, for
instance) it will stay looking pretty and red for *weeks*. HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> If the meat is treated with carbon monoxide (like bus fumes, for
> instance) it will stay looking pretty and red for *weeks*. HTH :-)

Given that the alternative is nitrate and
nitrite preservatives that form carcinogenic
N-nitroso compounds as they pass through
the human intestines, I'd say that carbon
monoxide treated meat (properly handled)
is much more healthful. Bring it on, I say!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lofty wrote:

> Hunters hang deer undressed in a barn for many days before even
> dressing it. Same thing with small game.

If deer ain't properly field dressed immediately after killed it's only
good for turkey buzzards and imbecile turkeys the likes of you... you
dumb Lofty mother****er... retarded spawn of his 25¢ whoring donkey
****er momma.

>From the same uneducated douchebags who are all ascared of a pot of

soup what's been aboil to sterility for hours but has no reservations
about an old chunk of flesh that was field dressed in the dirt by some
filthy scuzzy WOP who not two minutes previously wiped his stinkin
bunghole with a fistful of old leaves... and it doesn't matter he
licked his own shit off his guido meathooks... R U NUTZ.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Lofty wrote:
>
>>Hunters hang deer undressed in a barn for many days before even
>>dressing it. Same thing with small game.

> If deer ain't properly field dressed immediately after killed it's only
> good for turkey buzzards and imbecile turkeys the likes of you...

Not only a restaurant expert, but Cookie is also a mighty hunter - but
no ammunition there, either. Never heard of hanging meats - birds and
furred game - to reach that state called "high" when the flavors
intensify by enzymatic action. String them up and let the natural
processes unfold.

"Todays Dutch crown, the decorative device that many homeowners suspend
from their kitchen ceilings to exhibit fancy cookware, was originally
designed to hang and age game. Attached to a rope and pulley system from
high ceilings in cool, dark flesh larders, the Dutch crown would allow
game to age in accordance with the culinary desires of the household
and, most importantly, the seasons temperatures. The game, depending
upon species, would hang either a few days if the air was warm or far
longer in winter."
<http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2005/nov/ed_3/>

Blowhole.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jim jim is offline

Mankind would not have survived the last 6000 years if he couldnt hold
down a piece of bad meat. Before refrigeration, pork was eaten raunchy.
Thats why they invented mustard. You could let it soak in a brine of
Mortons TenderQuick for a day or two.
gl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Leave it wrapped. Do you have your receipt... bring it back to the
> stupidmarket and tell them you made a mistake and meant to buy ham
> steak.
>
> Sheldon

That sounds like a real class act but not unexpected from you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Leave it wrapped. Do you have your receipt... bring it back to the
>>>stupidmarket and tell them you made a mistake and meant to buy ham
>>>steak.

>>What a splendid ethical stance. How wonderfully honest. A lesson to
>>everyone about how to live the good life. Screw up and hand the
>>responsibility to someone else. Exemplary.
>>
>>Pastorio

> What Pastorio said.
>
> Plus the rule is not to defrost at room temperature. I'd toss it and
> chalk it up to "OOPS!!"

OTOH, some science messing with that old rule. Shocked me.

"THAWING AT AMBIENT TEMPERATURE ON THE COUNTER"
<http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html>

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Food Snob wrote:
> > Bob (this one) wrote:
> >
> >>Sheldon wrote:

> > I go by the smell. If it still smells nice, go for, but cook it more
> > thoroughly. I know that's a horrible thing to do to a ribeye, but in
> > this case it's be prudent. Bad meat smells bad.

> Agreed about the smell. No mistaking that. But given the amount of time
> in the example, and that spoilage and pathogens are both surface
> phenomena at this stage, cooking it more done wouldn't really be
> necessary as long as the surface were cooked/seared. It would do a very
> deep live bacteria reduction.

See, I wouldn't be that sure that when the bacteria actually were able
to multiply quickly that they wouldn't somehow migrate further into the
muscle tissue. I don't really *know*, but my instinct would be to
overcook it.

> Grill it hot and fast as usual and enjoy.

That's certainly the way beef is best enjoyed. I might add, grilling
over hickory or pecan wood wouldn't hurt.

> Pastorio

--Bryan

> >>What a splendid ethical stance. How wonderfully honest. A lesson to
> >>everyone about how to live the good life. Screw up and hand the
> >>responsibility to someone else. Exemplary.

> > An example of the kind of person I'd never trust.
> >
> >>Pastorio

> > --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

George wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>

> > Leave it wrapped. Do you have your receipt... bring it back to the
> > stupidmarket and tell them you made a mistake and meant to buy ham
> > steak.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> That sounds like a real class act but not unexpected from you.

As usual, it's not unexpected that some people don't recognize -- or
don't want to recognize -- a joke when it's obvious. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:
> What a splendid ethical stance. How wonderfully honest. A lesson to
> everyone about how to live the good life. Screw up and hand the
> responsibility to someone else. Exemplary.

If it's good enough for the people in charge of the country these
days.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:4a4ri3Frdd0kU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> OTOH, some science messing with that old rule. Shocked me.
>
> "THAWING AT AMBIENT TEMPERATURE ON THE COUNTER"
> <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html>
>
> Pastorio

Well, OK, but I just noticed that the meat wasn't frozen to begin with.
That probably makes it worth at least scoring, marinating then broiling
to well doneness?

Or does the hydrogen peroxide solution foam (is that infection or
bacteria) to a small piece be a tell tail sign?

Gonna try that on a little ground burger from the fridge and left out
overnight and see if it suds up in either case!

Just remember Mom ued to pour it in our ears after swimming at the pools
to prevent swimmers ear. Just hearing it foam was gross.

Or nevermind?!?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

my sister lia got sick when she ate some hot dogs that sat out too
long. doby show

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:4a4ri3Frdd0kU1@uni-
> berlin.de:
>
>> OTOH, some science messing with that old rule. Shocked me.
>>
>> "THAWING AT AMBIENT TEMPERATURE ON THE COUNTER"
>> <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html>
>>
>> Pastorio

> Well, OK, but I just noticed that the meat wasn't frozen to begin with.
> That probably makes it worth at least scoring, marinating then broiling
> to well doneness?
>
> Or does the hydrogen peroxide solution foam (is that infection or
> bacteria) to a small piece be a tell tail sign?

Hydrogen peroxide bubbling in this case doesn't mean anything. It's
reacting with the meat.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > Or does the hydrogen peroxide solution foam (is that infection or
> > bacteria) to a small piece be a tell tail sign?
> >

> Hydrogen peroxide bubbling in this case doesn't mean anything. It's
> reacting with the meat.

Hydrogen peroxide will bubble whenever it's not in
a tightly closed container - it's water with an extra
oxygen atom jammed in (H2O2, and I wish I could do
subscripts here), and that combination isn't stable. Peroxide
gives up that extra oxygen and reverts to plain ol' water
whenever it's given half a chance.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Lofty wrote:

> Hunters hang deer undressed in a barn for many days before even
> dressing it. Same thing with small game.

If deer ain't properly field dressed immediately after killed it's only
good for turkey buzzards and imbecile turkeys the likes of you... you
dumb Lofty mother****er... retarded spawn of his 25¢ whoring donkey
****er momma.

>From the same uneducated douchebags who are all ascared of a pot of

soup what's been aboil to sterility for hours but has no reservations
about an old chunk of flesh that was field dressed in the dirt by some
filthy scuzzy WOP who not two minutes previously wiped his stinkin
bunghole with a fistful of old leaves... and it doesn't matter he
licked his own shit off his guido meathooks... R U NUTZ.

Sheldon

I called the library where you go to practice your vocabulary on their
computer. They said they would revoke your priveleges for profanity and that
they were planning to do it anyway because you come there every morning to
sleep after you get up from your home under the highway overpass--told me
you stink, haven't bathed in weeks. They said the hair in your ears and nose
is several inches long. You pick the remains of the schoolkids' lunches out
of the trash and that is your only source of food.

They also said that if you show up panhandling outside on the steps again
they plan to call the police again. The police have been working on how they
can get you re-committed to the state mental health facility.

My advice to you -- take a bath in the river now that it is Spring and get
the stink and lice off. Try using that toothbrush you scrounged from the
dumpster.

If I hear from you again it will mean you took my advice and the library let
you back in the computer room for the day. See what cleaning up your act can
do? You are welcome for the advice, scumbag.

Your friend,

--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> Very true. Hunters hang deer undressed in a barn for many days before even
> dressing it. Same thing with small game.

Only if they want really funky tasting meat. Perhaps you are confusing the
term "dressed" with "butchered". Game should be dressed as soon as possible
after killing, though some state and provincial regulations limit the amount
of field dressing you can so, since they enforce limits etc. and want to be
able to identify the game.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Lefty wrote:

> Very true. Hunters hang deer undressed in a barn for many days before even
> dressing it. Same thing with small game.
> --

You must use the term "dressed" different from the hunters I know. We
field dress deer as soon as possible, meaning to remove all the organs
and innards. Only after all that stuff is removed will we hang the
deer. If you don't, you'll have some truly fouled meat. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Lefty wrote:
> >
> > Very true. Hunters hang deer undressed in a barn for many days before even
> > dressing it. Same thing with small game.
> > --

> You must use the term "dressed" different from the hunters I know. We
> field dress deer as soon as possible, meaning to remove all the organs
> and innards. Only after all that stuff is removed will we hang the
> deer. If you don't, you'll have some truly fouled meat. -aem

Dincha hear, in Italy they hang undressed/unevicerated game, the WOP
method... they don't notice because it stinks just like their momma.

Sheldon Gutz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I go by the smell. If it still smells nice, go for, but cook it more
>>>thoroughly. I know that's a horrible thing to do to a ribeye, but in
>>>this case it's be prudent. Bad meat smells bad.

>>Agreed about the smell. No mistaking that. But given the amount of time
>>in the example, and that spoilage and pathogens are both surface
>>phenomena at this stage, cooking it more done wouldn't really be
>>necessary as long as the surface were cooked/seared. It would do a very
>>deep live bacteria reduction.

> See, I wouldn't be that sure that when the bacteria actually were able
> to multiply quickly that they wouldn't somehow migrate further into the
> muscle tissue. I don't really *know*, but my instinct would be to
> overcook it.

I understand the caution - better more cautious than not enough. Tissues
have to break down before there's any significant incursion. 16 hours at
normal room temp will certainly have bacterial growth, but there
wouldn't likely be enough tissue destruction to be too concerned.

>>Grill it hot and fast as usual and enjoy.

> That's certainly the way beef is best enjoyed. I might add, grilling
> over hickory or pecan wood wouldn't hurt.

Did a pork shoulder today very slowly over some sugar maple and small
black walnut pieces with a few last-season walnuts (husks and all)
thrown in. Adds a sharp note, aromatic. Pulled the shoulder and it came
apart very nicely. Dressed it with a little homemade BBQish sauce - just
enough to keep it moist - onions, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, cider
vinegar, salt, white pepper and just enough ketchup to add a little
body. Couldn't duplicate it for a million. Very damn good.

Pastorio

>>>An example of the kind of person I'd never trust.

>>>--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:4a4ri3Frdd0kU1@uni-
> berlin.de:
>

>>OTOH, some science messing with that old rule. Shocked me.
>>
>>"THAWING AT AMBIENT TEMPERATURE ON THE COUNTER"
>><http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html>
>>
>>Pastorio

> Well, OK, but I just noticed that the meat wasn't frozen to begin with.
> That probably makes it worth at least scoring, marinating then broiling
> to well doneness?

Why score it? If bacterial contamination is a surface phenomenon - and
it is - scoring it lets them get inside deeper. Marinades would need to
be very acid or extremely alcoholic to have serious impact on the
critters. Cooking well-done just deprives you of a good dining experience.

> Or does the hydrogen peroxide solution foam (is that infection or
> bacteria) to a small piece be a tell tail sign?

The foam says there's something there triggering the release of oxygen.
I nominate bacteria. Infection *is* a whole crowd of bacteria, no?

> Gonna try that on a little ground burger from the fridge and left out
> overnight and see if it suds up in either case!

It will foam very happily and thoroughly. Not many better culture media
than a bit of ground beef. And any residual blood cells would cause
foaming...

> Just remember Mom ued to pour it in our ears after swimming at the pools
> to prevent swimmers ear. Just hearing it foam was gross.

Once had a dental abscess and was told to rinse my mouth with peroxide.
Now there's a thrill if you haven't done it. Tastes surprisingly bad
considering it's just water with an extra oxygen atom. It foams up like
something most peculiar is happening between your cheek and gums. Took
nearly a half bottle of Scotch to get the taste gone and the memory
dulled. Each time. Would I kid you?

> Or nevermind?!?

Just don't get all confused-like and put the burger in your ear. I'm
sure you can see why.

No, seriously...

Pastorio