Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So true

Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.

Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the
last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of
oil, filter,
kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for
$50.00.
2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive
home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in
process. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms.
Throw kitty litter
on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil ilter
and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil
everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in
trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil
change
tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.
18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag
pan full
of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back
yard
instead of taking it back to Kragen to recycle.
9) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to
gasket surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard,
along
with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily
dirt
into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of

ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower
gas.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw
kitty
litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with
oily rag
used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening
drain
plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin cussing fit.
34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required t o stop blood
flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled
during steps 23 - 43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Call loving wife, make bail.
50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
mpound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total - - $4,165.00

But you know the job was done right!

anon

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.
>
> Oil Change instructions for Women:
>
> 1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the
> last oil change.
> 2) Drink a cup of coffee.
> 3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
> vehicle.
>
> Money spent:
> Oil Change $20.00
> Coffee $1.00
> Total $21.00
>
> Oil Change instructions for Men:
>

> Money spent:
>
> Parts $50.00
> DUI $2500.00
> impound fee $75.00
> Bail $1500.00
> Beer $40.00
> Total - - $4,165.00
>

> But you know the job was done right!
>

> Sheldon

(snip)

I got this several weeks ago in an e-mail. And you know, I think they
hit the nail on the head.

:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LOLOL! I'm sending that to all of my friends!

sf
`````````````````````
On 5 Apr 2006 19:33:00 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.
>
> Oil Change instructions for Women:
>
> 1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the
> last oil change.
> 2) Drink a cup of coffee.
> 3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
> vehicle.
>
> Money spent:
> Oil Change $20.00
> Coffee $1.00
> Total $21.00
>
> Oil Change instructions for Men:
>
> 1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of
> oil, filter,

<snip long story>

> Money spent:
>
> Parts $50.00
> DUI $2500.00
> mpound fee $75.00
> Bail $1500.00
> Beer $40.00
> Total - - $4,165.00
>

> But you know the job was done right!
>

> anon
>
> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oh so true

Sheldon wrote:
> Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.

> Oil Change instructions for Men:

( Excellent yet expensive rendition deleted for brevity)
> Sheldon

But you may ask WHY men choose to do it this way?

Because they NEVER ask for directions OR consult a map and wouldn't be
able to find the nearest Jiffy Lube if their life depended on it....
unless of course a female was in the passenger seat!!!

hehehehehe

LadyJane <standing well back from the monitor to avoid being bombarded
by missiles!!!>
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.

> > Oil Change instructions for Men:
> >

> ( Excellent yet expensive rendition deleted for brevity)
> > Sheldon

> But you may ask WHY men choose to do it this way?
>
> Because they NEVER ask for directions OR consult a map and wouldn't be
> able to find the nearest Jiffy Lube if their life depended on it....
> unless of course a female was in the passenger seat!!!

Dang, a man can't even find a pair of socks, his wallet, or even a COFFEE
cup for gosh sakes! (And the coffee cups have been in the same cabinet for
about 2.5 years.....) I've found it's just easier for me to collect my
husband's wallet, cell phone, keys, lunch, coffee-to-go, and set them on the
table near the door so he's got everything he needs for work in one spot.
It prevents all the "honey, where's my......"

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> "LadyJane" > wrote

>> Sheldon wrote:
>> > Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.

>> > Oil Change instructions for Men:
>> >

>> ( Excellent yet expensive rendition deleted for brevity)
>> > Sheldon

>> But you may ask WHY men choose to do it this way?
>>
>> Because they NEVER ask for directions OR consult a map and wouldn't be
>> able to find the nearest Jiffy Lube if their life depended on it....
>> unless of course a female was in the passenger seat!!!

> Dang, a man can't even find a pair of socks, his wallet, or even a COFFEE
> cup for gosh sakes! (And the coffee cups have been in the same cabinet
> for
> about 2.5 years.....) I've found it's just easier for me to collect my
> husband's wallet, cell phone, keys, lunch, coffee-to-go, and set them on
> the
> table near the door so he's got everything he needs for work in one spot.
> It prevents all the "honey, where's my......"

Y'all are hanging around with the wrong men.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.

> Oil Change instructions for Men:

So true. I experienced a similar scenario years ago in changing spark
plug wires. Presented the situation to a habitual auto-tinkering friend
who hemmed and hawed, then finally asked me "what else are you going to
do with your time?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sheldon wrote:

>> Oil Change instructions for Men:

> So true. I experienced a similar scenario years ago in changing spark
> plug wires. Presented the situation to a habitual auto-tinkering friend
> who hemmed and hawed, then finally asked me "what else are you going to
> do with your time?"

My ex fil was an engineer and the whole family mindset was
do it yourself. Not knocking it, my ex could fix stuff and that was
great, but damn it took a lot of time. And you know something
would go wrong necessitating trips to the store for a whatchamacallit.
Before you knew it, Saturday was over.

Now, I drive over to this place, not a chain, they change the oil,
check the tire pressure, fill the windshield washer fluid, etc. etc. etc.,
windshield wipers. Then, they a great carwash, you're in and out of
there was a clean car inside and out. Under $30.

Only way to go.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> Oil Change instructions for Men:

> > So true. I experienced a similar scenario years ago in changing spark
> > plug wires. Presented the situation to a habitual auto-tinkering friend
> > who hemmed and hawed, then finally asked me "what else are you going to
> > do with your time?"

> My ex fil was an engineer and the whole family mindset was
> do it yourself. Not knocking it, my ex could fix stuff and that was
> great, but damn it took a lot of time. And you know something
> would go wrong necessitating trips to the store for a whatchamacallit.
> Before you knew it, Saturday was over.
>
> Now, I drive over to this place, not a chain, they change the oil,
> check the tire pressure, fill the windshield washer fluid, etc. etc. etc.,
> windshield wipers. Then, they a great carwash, you're in and out of
> there was a clean car inside and out. Under $30.
>
> Only way to go.
>
> nancy

We recently purchased a used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and my husband doesn't
have a clue as to how to work on it and doesn't have the proper tools -
which is kind of nice. 30 minutes in a local place and we had the oil
changed, oil filter changed and pretty much everything else you get done at
your place. They advertised the service at $19.99, but when they opened the
hood and saw the engine, they charged us about $32, I think. They said
they'd only seen 1 other engine this complicated before. What's with
Pathfinders?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> My ex fil was an engineer and the whole family mindset was
>> do it yourself. Not knocking it, my ex could fix stuff and that was
>> great, but damn it took a lot of time. And you know something
>> would go wrong necessitating trips to the store for a whatchamacallit.
>> Before you knew it, Saturday was over.

> We recently purchased a used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and my husband doesn't
> have a clue as to how to work on it and doesn't have the proper tools -
> which is kind of nice. 30 minutes in a local place and we had the oil
> changed, oil filter changed and pretty much everything else you get done
> at
> your place. They advertised the service at $19.99, but when they opened
> the
> hood and saw the engine, they charged us about $32, I think. They said
> they'd only seen 1 other engine this complicated before. What's with
> Pathfinders?

That's another thing, today's cars ... you really don't want to screw
around with them much. I used to be able to do smallish stuff with
cars, I could even do brake pads and such, I wouldn't touch that for
nuthin anymore. You just know some computerized thing will know
you're not authorized to do that. No.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> My ex fil was an engineer and the whole family mindset was
> >> do it yourself. Not knocking it, my ex could fix stuff and that was
> >> great, but damn it took a lot of time. And you know something
> >> would go wrong necessitating trips to the store for a whatchamacallit.
> >> Before you knew it, Saturday was over.

> > We recently purchased a used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and my husband

doesn't
> > have a clue as to how to work on it and doesn't have the proper tools -
> > which is kind of nice. 30 minutes in a local place and we had the oil
> > changed, oil filter changed and pretty much everything else you get done
> > at
> > your place. They advertised the service at $19.99, but when they opened
> > the
> > hood and saw the engine, they charged us about $32, I think. They said
> > they'd only seen 1 other engine this complicated before. What's with
> > Pathfinders?

> That's another thing, today's cars ... you really don't want to screw
> around with them much. I used to be able to do smallish stuff with
> cars, I could even do brake pads and such, I wouldn't touch that for
> nuthin anymore. You just know some computerized thing will know
> you're not authorized to do that. No.
>
> nancy

Yeah, I hear ya. We now have this censor light on that *only* the
dealership can turn off and fix - for $150. Sheesh!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> 3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
> vehicle.

......and hope the $8.00/hr "mechanic" that's working on your $35K car
doesn't screw it up so that you drive 20 mils and break down. Then since you
know nothing about cars, you can't prove they did it and it cost you $2800
for a new engine (assembly required).

> Money spent:
> Oil Change $20.00
> Coffee $1.00
> Total $21.00

But then they say you need a new fan belt, air filter, door hinge grease,
shock absorbers, struts, antifreeze, add tail-light fluid, bumper tinting,
brake pad flossing,......(the kids can get a commission on extras they
sell.)

Money spent: $950 -- Oh, did you want oil too? And a filter? We only use the
very minimum quality we can find so we save you even more money.

> Money spent:
>
> Parts $50.00
> DUI $2500.00
> mpound fee $75.00
> Bail $1500.00
> Beer $40.00
> Total - - $4,165.00
>

> But you know the job was done right!
>
>You do? I had a brake job done by one of those teenaged "mechanics" once.

He lost the correct washer (with a tab to prevent it spinning) so he put in
a regular round washer. A few hundred miles and another city later I had to
replace the whole brake assembly, tire, bearings.

> Sheldon

I have a car, pickup, motorcycle, snowmobile, 3-wheel ATV, two boats with
outboard motors --nobody touches them but me (except when necessary and I
tell them what I want done).

It takes me 15 minutes to do an oil/filter change and I only use the best.
While I am there I check everything underneath and maintain it so it stays
healthy. $0.00 labor, no unecessary replacements.

I can't figure how somebody can be meticulous about one thing (cooking) but
settle for an $8.00/hour high-school kid maintaining something so important
as a car. It would be like getting a McD's cashier to fix you a Cotelettes
de Cailles d' Aumale.

I don't buy it that today's cars are too complicated -- not with the
internet around. I feel bad for you.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> My ex fil was an engineer and the whole family mindset was
> do it yourself. Not knocking it, my ex could fix stuff and that was
> great, but damn it took a lot of time. And you know something
> would go wrong necessitating trips to the store for a whatchamacallit.
> Before you knew it, Saturday was over.

My father was an engineer and had been an aircraft mechanic in the air force
before switching to aircrew. His father had been a jack of all trades.
Almost every weekend and most evenings around the house were spent tinkering.
He rebuilt gas motors, rewired electric motors, did his own masonry work,
woodworking. He would never pay anyone to do anything that he could do
himself. It wasn't just the money he saved. He liked doing it. That's what he
did. It was his life. When I was a kid, the only thing he every paint a
tradesman to do was plastering a ceiling.

When I was a teenager he was transferred to a new plant and we moved into a
new house. We arrived the day after the floors had been varnished. A room
downstairs had been finished as a den. It became a bedroom. We had a day to
settle in. Then he started to make it a home. He had carpet laid. He painted
the living room, dining room, halls, hallway and stairs to basement. He
papered the kitchen and two bathrooms. He panelled the hallway and rec room.
Tiled the entire basement except the den that had been completed already, put
up drywall in the rest of the basement to make a work shop and laundry room.
By Christmas he had finished everything.

My father in law was the complete opposite. He didn't even know how to change
light bulbs. Seriously. When I first stared dating my wife we were there for a
visit and he was about to call an electrician to change a light bulb in a
ceiling fixture. I offered to fo it for him. Not complicated job.... loosed 3
screws, remove the globe, remove the burned out bulb, replace it with a fresh
bulb, put the globe back and tighten the screws. He insisted on paying me. He
really would have called an electrician.

> Now, I drive over to this place, not a chain, they change the oil,
> check the tire pressure, fill the windshield washer fluid, etc. etc. etc.,
> windshield wipers. Then, they a great carwash, you're in and out of
> there was a clean car inside and out. Under $30.

The price in those places around here have crept up. Plus they give you the
hard sell now. Recently I was told that everything was good to go but the car
was "due for gas treatment". ??? I asked him what he meant, just to hear his
explanation. Then I asked the price..... $34.95. My answer was no way I am
paying $34.95 for a pint of isopropyl alcohol. The woman sitting next to me
said "Good for you. They got me on that one."

On my last oil change (last week) they told me it was all set but I needed
windshield wiper blades, which they could replace to $15.99. No thanks. I
stopped at Canadian Tire on the way home and got new wipers for $9.99. They
took one minute each to replace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote:
> > > wrote:

> > > So true. I experienced a similar scenario years ago in changing spark
> > > plug wires. Presented the situation to a habitual auto-tinkering friend
> > > who hemmed and hawed, then finally asked me "what else are you going to
> > > do with your time?"

> > My ex fil was an engineer and the whole family mindset was
> > do it yourself. Not knocking it, my ex could fix stuff and that was
> > great, but damn it took a lot of time. And you know something
> > would go wrong necessitating trips to the store for a whatchamacallit.
> > Before you knew it, Saturday was over.
> >
> > Now, I drive over to this place, not a chain, they change the oil,
> > check the tire pressure, fill the windshield washer fluid, etc. etc. etc.,
> > windshield wipers. Then, they a great carwash, you're in and out of
> > there was a clean car inside and out. Under $30.
> >
> > Only way to go.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> We recently purchased a used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and my husband doesn't
> have a clue as to how to work on it and doesn't have the proper tools -
> which is kind of nice. 30 minutes in a local place and we had the oil
> changed, oil filter changed and pretty much everything else you get done at
> your place. They advertised the service at $19.99, but when they opened the
> hood and saw the engine, they charged us about $32, I think. They said
> they'd only seen 1 other engine this complicated before. What's with
> Pathfinders?

I can't imagine changing oil has a whit to do with the complicatedness
of the engine... oil drains from underneath and oil fills are always
readily accessible from the top... sometimes the oil filter is in a
tight spot but only if trying to get at it from above, from underneath
they are all easy to change. The only reason to charge more would be
if your particular model requires a greater quantiy of oil than is
usually advertised, ie. typically 5 quarts. I always pay about $10
extra for oil changes because my Landcruiser takes 8 quarts. I don't
think that under any circumstances it makes sense to change automobile
oil oneself. But I do change oil myself on my tractors, the drain is
right out in the open and high up, nothng to crawl/reach under...
filling is at a big spout at the top. But I would still have the
tractor's oil changed at the shop but more than a mile is a bit much to
drive a tractor over paved roads (too much risk of a punctured tire, my
tractor tires cost nearly $800 each), would take too long to make the 8
mile round trip from where I live (tractors travel no more than about 5
mph), and would cost me nearly as much in diesel fuel as the oil
change. Plus I'd need to wait a few days for the tractor place to get
to it so I'd need a ride home and I'd be without my machines for too
long.... if they pick up and deliver it's by flat bed, a $40 fee. I
lube the tractors myself, but my car is always done at a service
station, runs me under $30 these days and it's an in and out while I
wait, maybe 30 minutes.... hardly pays to get my hands dirty and I hate
having to slither under a jacked up car, plus even with heavy jack
stands it's always dangerous. Yes, Jiffy Lube and ilk is the only way
to go.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
> > 3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
> > vehicle.

> .....and hope the $8.00/hr "mechanic" that's working on your $35K car
> doesn't screw it up so that you drive 20 mils and break down. Then since you
> know nothing about cars, you can't prove they did it and it cost you $2800
> for a new engine (assembly required).
>

> > Money spent:
> > Oil Change $20.00
> > Coffee $1.00
> > Total $21.00

> But then they say you need a new fan belt, air filter, door hinge grease,
> shock absorbers, struts, antifreeze, add tail-light fluid, bumper tinting,
> brake pad flossing,......(the kids can get a commission on extras they
> sell.)
>
> Money spent: $950 -- Oh, did you want oil too? And a filter? We only use the
> very minimum quality we can find so we save you even more money.
> >

> > Money spent:
> >
> > Parts $50.00
> > DUI $2500.00
> > mpound fee $75.00
> > Bail $1500.00
> > Beer $40.00
> > Total - - $4,165.00
> >

> > But you know the job was done right!
> >
> >You do? I had a brake job done by one of those teenaged "mechanics" once.

> He lost the correct washer (with a tab to prevent it spinning) so he put in
> a regular round washer. A few hundred miles and another city later I had to
> replace the whole brake assembly, tire, bearings.
>
> I have a car, pickup, motorcycle, snowmobile, 3-wheel ATV, two boats with
> outboard motors --nobody touches them but me (except when necessary and I
> tell them what I want done).
>
> It takes me 15 minutes to do an oil/filter change and I only use the best.
> While I am there I check everything underneath and maintain it so it stays
> healthy. $0.00 labor, no unecessary replacements.
>
> I can't figure how somebody can be meticulous about one thing (cooking) but
> settle for an $8.00/hour high-school kid maintaining something so important
> as a car. It would be like getting a McD's cashier to fix you a Cotelettes
> de Cailles d' Aumale.
>
> I don't buy it that today's cars are too complicated -- not with the
> internet around. I feel bad for you.
> --
> Lefty

You just enjoy working on motors, I can understand that. But in over
50 years of owning automobiles I never had any of what you describe
occur. These days there isn't very much one can do on a car oneself
anyway, not without a lot of fancy tools and the proper computer, can't
even change brakes without resetting the brake sensor by computer
(yeah, just leave the wires hang). And even though the law provides
for the warranty remaining in force when maintenance is done other than
at a certified dealership when you can provide proof, odds are a few
oil receipts from Walmart just won't do it.... you'll have a big fight
on your hands and probably lose. And regardless who changes the oil,
even yourself, you still need to check fluid levels periodically.
Whenever I have an oil change I check the level before driving off,
that's really all anyone needs to do, that's a must... and I check
fluid levels often, with every fill up. But I don't enjoy playing
grease monkey. And I really don't believe you can do a complete
oil/filter change properly in 15 minutes (you're full of shit), I bet
it takes you more than an hour start to finish... you dump the spent
oil in your yard, right. My experience is people who do their own auto
maintenence live like pigs, crappy old auto parts and greasy filth
everywhere, useless old vehicals strewn about and/or up on blocks...
trailer trash.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> it takes you more than an hour start to finish... you dump the spent
> oil in your yard, right.

You know, I'd forgotten about that, getting rid of the old
oil. Yuck, who needs that hassle. And, despite all its little
ticks, I don't drive a new car because my 15 year old,
160,000 mile car runs like a top. Knock wood, I'll get
another year or so out of it, and I've only ever had the oil
changed by the lube place.

Speaking to what Dave said about the hard sell, I know just
what he means. I used to go to this other place, every damned
time, you need a new air filter. Whatever. Took to just dropping
off the car, going shopping, coming back to get it so they had no
opportunity to jerk me around.

When this car wash started doing lubes, I happily started taking my
car there. One day the guy running the shop was from the old place.
Got the car done, I was paying, I said, weren't you over at the other
shop? Yes, I couldn't take it any more, the owners were greedy,
they made us sell extras to the customers all the time.

One time the new place said, we noticed you need (I hope I didn't
make a face like what I was thinking) ... windshield wipers. Oh!
I did. Please replace them, thanks. They've never bugged me other
than that one time. And, I've had bad luck at changing wipers, I am
not good at it.

nancy (I really think it is going to be pizza tonight, I have
no inspiration to cook today)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> nancy (I really think it is going to be pizza tonight, I have
> no inspiration to cook today)

I've got news for you, Nancy; pizza IS cooking. Unless you're ordering out.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote

>> nancy (I really think it is going to be pizza tonight, I have
>> no inspiration to cook today)

> I've got news for you, Nancy; pizza IS cooking. Unless you're ordering
> out.

Yup, I've had a hankering for a pizza from the local place,
with sausage and peppers. Ordering out.

Unless something strikes me to make for dinner.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> [...]

> oil receipts from Walmart just won't do it.... you'll have a big fight
> on your hands and probably lose. And regardless who changes the oil,
> even yourself, you still need to check fluid levels periodically.
> Whenever I have an oil change I check the level before driving off,
> that's really all anyone needs to do, that's a must... and I check
> fluid levels often, with every fill up. But I don't enjoy playing
> grease monkey. And I really don't believe you can do a complete
> oil/filter change properly in 15 minutes (you're full of shit), I bet
> it takes you more than an hour start to finish... you dump the spent
> oil in your yard, right. My experience is people who do their own auto
> maintenence live like pigs, crappy old auto parts and greasy filth
> everywhere, useless old vehicals strewn about and/or up on blocks...

You have no "experience" because you see the world through your ass.

If you have had "mechanics " working on your cars over fifty years, you have
been ripped off plenty but you're too stupid to realize it. If you
categorize people out of your limited world-view you are doubly stupid.

I can change oil and filter in 15 minutes (not including taking the used oil
to the recycler) because I am smart. I am smart at everything I pursue
unlike the "one trick pony" you seem to be (if, in fact, you actually do
cook at all). I don't "love" fixing motors --it's an opportunity to learn,
something you need to realize from your narrow point of view.

And, you won't see any grease on any of the men and women in our 'vette
club, who are all professional people. While you sit around in your
Leiderhosen blinded by your prejudice and hating the world, there are
wholesome people doing wholesome things out here.

Trailer trash, indeed. Anyone who ignorantly labels people the way you do
cannot in reality be the cook they try to appear to be. Whatever admiration
I could have had for your cooking ability has passed because I could never
accept the opinions or abilities of such a closed-minded asshole as having
any credulity. You are all talk, and that talk is about shit, Mr. Anal.

You're a bitter old crotch-scratcher taking your inadequacies out on
anonymous targets because you don't have balls enough to address them in the
real world. Yes, it is true, people do despise you.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
> > it takes you more than an hour start to finish... you dump the spent
> > oil in your yard, right.

> You know, I'd forgotten about that, getting rid of the old
> oil. Yuck, who needs that hassle. And, despite all its little
> ticks, I don't drive a new car because my 15 year old,
> 160,000 mile car runs like a top. Knock wood, I'll get
> another year or so out of it, and I've only ever had the oil
> changed by the lube place.
>
> Speaking to what Dave said about the hard sell, I know just
> what he means. I used to go to this other place, every damned
> time, you need a new air filter. Whatever. Took to just dropping
> off the car, going shopping, coming back to get it so they had no
> opportunity to jerk me around.
>
> When this car wash started doing lubes, I happily started taking my
> car there. One day the guy running the shop was from the old place.
> Got the car done, I was paying, I said, weren't you over at the other
> shop? Yes, I couldn't take it any more, the owners were greedy,
> they made us sell extras to the customers all the time.
>
> One time the new place said, we noticed you need (I hope I didn't
> make a face like what I was thinking) ... windshield wipers. Oh!
> I did. Please replace them, thanks. They've never bugged me other
> than that one time. And, I've had bad luck at changing wipers, I am
> not good at it.
>
> nancy (I really think it is going to be pizza tonight, I have
> no inspiration to cook today)

No matter what one shops for they always try to sell you more... just
smile and say you'll think about it... every time I ever bought an ice
cream cone as a kid they always tried to sell me sprinkles, 2¢! Nope,
2¢ bought a big soft pretzel.

Sheldon Shops

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Dang, a man can't even find a pair of socks, his wallet, or even a COFFEE
> cup for gosh sakes! (And the coffee cups have been in the same cabinet for
> about 2.5 years.....)

I can't find my coffee cup, the one I've been using all morning, because
my wife put it in the dishwasher.

I lost my glasses yesterday. Sometimes my wife steals them, but she
wasn't home, so I couldn't ask her. I wandered all over the house
looking for them. I finally found them. They were on my face!

:-)

My son got a good laugh over that one.

> I've found it's just easier for me to collect my
> husband's wallet, cell phone, keys,

I'm in charge of keeping track of my wife's wallet, cell phone and keys.
"I can't find my keys". "They're on the table right there where you
left them". "I can't find my wallet". "Did you bring it home from the
store?" "No." "Well, it's probably still there".

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> "LadyJane" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>>Ohhhhhh, my! How do they know these things? So true.

>>>Oil Change instructions for Men:
>>>

>> ( Excellent yet expensive rendition deleted for brevity)
>>
>>>Sheldon

>>But you may ask WHY men choose to do it this way?
>>
>>Because they NEVER ask for directions OR consult a map and wouldn't be
>>able to find the nearest Jiffy Lube if their life depended on it....
>>unless of course a female was in the passenger seat!!!
>>

> Dang, a man can't even find a pair of socks, his wallet, or even a COFFEE
> cup for gosh sakes! (And the coffee cups have been in the same cabinet for
> about 2.5 years.....) I've found it's just easier for me to collect my
> husband's wallet, cell phone, keys, lunch, coffee-to-go, and set them on the
> table near the door so he's got everything he needs for work in one spot.
> It prevents all the "honey, where's my......"
>
> kili

He's got you well trained i see
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> I can't imagine changing oil has a whit to do with the complicatedness
> of the engine... oil drains from underneath and oil fills are always
> readily accessible from the top... sometimes the oil filter is in a
> tight spot but only if trying to get at it from above, from underneath
> they are all easy to change.

Someone told me recently about some type of minivan that has to have a front tire
removed to get at the oil filter. That would be a PITA.

> The only reason to charge more would be
> if your particular model requires a greater quantiy of oil than is
> usually advertised, ie. typically 5 quarts. I always pay about $10
> extra for oil changes because my Landcruiser takes 8 quarts.

When I had a Ford Ranger with a diesel engine I paid extra too. It was bad enough
that it took 8 litres of oil, but the filter was $32, and that was back in 1985.
The fuel filter was $110.

> But I do change oil myself on my tractors, the drain is
> right out in the open and high up, nothng to crawl/reach under...
> filling is at a big spout at the top. But I would still have the
> tractor's oil changed at the shop but more than a mile is a bit much to
> drive a tractor over paved roads (too much risk of a punctured tire, my
> tractor tires cost nearly $800 each),

More risk of a tire puncture on a paved road than in a farm field????

> would take too long to make the 8
> mile round trip from where I live (tractors travel no more than about 5
> mph), and would cost me nearly as much in diesel fuel as the oil
> change.

My 16 HP lawn tractor will do better than 5 mph. Did they not show you how to use
the gears on that tractor. A decent tractor will easily do better than 20 mph.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> [...]
> 34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
> 35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
> 36) Beer.
> 37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required t o stop blood
> flow.
> 38) Beer.
> 39) Beer.
> 40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
> 41) Beer.
> 42) Lower car from jack stands.
> 43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
> 44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled
> during steps 23 - 43.
> 45) Beer.
> 46) Test drive car.
> 47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
> 48) Car gets impounded.
> 49) Call loving wife, make bail.
> 50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
Canada. Thanks....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > But you know the job was done right!
> >
> > anon
> >
> > Sheldon

> Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> Canada. Thanks....Sharon

Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in denial
that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 05:55:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?

>> > But you know the job was done right!
>> >
>> > anon
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
>> Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in denial
> that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

Are you trying to be mean, or does it come naturally?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote

>>> ( Excellent yet expensive rendition deleted for brevity)
>>>
>>> But you may ask WHY men choose to do it this way?
>>>
>>> Because they NEVER ask for directions OR consult a map and wouldn't
>>> be able to find the nearest Jiffy Lube if their life depended on
>>> it.... unless of course a female was in the passenger seat!!!

>> Dang, a man can't even find a pair of socks, his wallet, or even a
>> COFFEE cup for gosh sakes! (And the coffee cups have been in the
>> same cabinet for
>> about 2.5 years.....) I've found it's just easier for me to collect
>> my husband's wallet, cell phone, keys, lunch, coffee-to-go, and set
>> them on the
>> table near the door so he's got everything he needs for work in one
>> spot. It prevents all the "honey, where's my......"

> Y'all are hanging around with the wrong men.
>
> nancy

No joke! I can't ever recall having to deal with "where is my...?"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> > Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> > Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in denial
> that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?
> --
> Lefty

Nice Lefty, really nice.
Gee...let me think.... who looks more moronic after insulting and
denigrating a son to his mother? (Need clarification? YOU dufus!)

Am assuming you've read and totally disregarded the advice in the book
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" haven't you Lefty?

Not nice - should we put your nastiness down to:
a) a senior moment?
b) being off our meds?
c) PMT?
d) or are you just a nasty human being?

If a, b or c, do something about your attitude.
If d) keep your opinions and thoughts to yourself. No one is remotely
interested.

Hope you son enjoyed the original joke Sharon - take no notice of the
f***knuckle!

love and hugs to everyone - excluding the obnoxious one

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:55:07 +0000, Lefty wrote:

>> > But you know the job was done right!
>> >
>> > anon
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
>> Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> A manager of a jiffy lube in
> Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

Does not sound needy at all. A young man with a respectable job..what is
wrong with that?

My dad sold his vette when mom's teeth got to rattling more that that
plastic POS.

The ultimate joke du jour.. geezers in Corvettes...BWAhahahahahahahhaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> > > But you know the job was done right!
> > >
> > > anon
> > >
> > > Sheldon

> > Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> > Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in denial
> that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

Huh???
> --
> Lefty
>
> Life is for learning
> The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:

> Lefty wrote:
>
> > > Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> > > Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> > Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in denial
> > that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> > Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?
> > --
> > Lefty

> Nice Lefty, really nice.
> Gee...let me think.... who looks more moronic after insulting and
> denigrating a son to his mother? (Need clarification? YOU dufus!)
>
> Am assuming you've read and totally disregarded the advice in the book
> "How to Win Friends and Influence People" haven't you Lefty?
>
> Not nice - should we put your nastiness down to:
> a) a senior moment?
> b) being off our meds?
> c) PMT?
> d) or are you just a nasty human being?
>
> If a, b or c, do something about your attitude.
> If d) keep your opinions and thoughts to yourself. No one is remotely
> interested.
>
> Hope you son enjoyed the original joke Sharon - take no notice of the
> f***knuckle!
>
> love and hugs to everyone - excluding the obnoxious one
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

Thanks to you and Wayne for your posts....I'm used to snarky. For the
record, my son enjoys the shop work, but has already been promoted to
corporate sales. He only "gets to be in the shop" a couple of days a
week now. For Lefty's edification, it's not jiffy lube, but "Mr. Lube",
so whatever he knows about the employee structure of one does not equal
the other.....Any way, DS is happy in his work....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Lefty wrote:
>
> > > Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> > > Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> > Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in

denial
> > that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> > Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?
> > --
> > Lefty

> Nice Lefty, really nice.
> Gee...let me think.... who looks more moronic after insulting and
> denigrating a son to his mother? (Need clarification? YOU dufus!)
>
> Am assuming you've read and totally disregarded the advice in the book
> "How to Win Friends and Influence People" haven't you Lefty?
>
> Not nice - should we put your nastiness down to:
> a) a senior moment?
> b) being off our meds?
> c) PMT?
> d) or are you just a nasty human being?
>
> If a, b or c, do something about your attitude.
> If d) keep your opinions and thoughts to yourself. No one is remotely
> interested.
>
> Hope you son enjoyed the original joke Sharon - take no notice of the
> f***knuckle!
>
> love and hugs to everyone - excluding the obnoxious one
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

That happens to be a common joke amongst my Ontario friends. Nobody I know
would consider that in bad taste, too bad you don't understand that.

What, you have to explain every time you make a joke now?
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> LadyJane wrote:

Ontario

> > > Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in

denial
> > > that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> > > Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?
> > > --
> > > Lefty

> > Nice Lefty, really nice.
> > Gee...let me think.... who looks more moronic after insulting and
> > denigrating a son to his mother? (Need clarification? YOU dufus!)
> >
> > Am assuming you've read and totally disregarded the advice in the book
> > "How to Win Friends and Influence People" haven't you Lefty?
> >
> > Not nice - should we put your nastiness down to:
> > a) a senior moment?
> > b) being off our meds?
> > c) PMT?
> > d) or are you just a nasty human being?
> >
> > If a, b or c, do something about your attitude.
> > If d) keep your opinions and thoughts to yourself. No one is remotely
> > interested.
> >
> > Hope you son enjoyed the original joke Sharon - take no notice of the
> > f***knuckle!
> >
> > love and hugs to everyone - excluding the obnoxious one
> >
> > LadyJane
> > --
> > "Never trust a skinny cook!"

> Thanks to you and Wayne for your posts....I'm used to snarky. For the
> record, my son enjoys the shop work, but has already been promoted to
> corporate sales. He only "gets to be in the shop" a couple of days a
> week now. For Lefty's edification, it's not jiffy lube, but "Mr. Lube",
> so whatever he knows about the employee structure of one does not equal
> the other.....Any way, DS is happy in his work....Sharon

That happens to be a common joke amongst my Ontario friends. Nobody I know
would consider that in bad taste, too bad you don't understand that.

What, you have to explain every time you make a joke now?
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news

> >> Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> >> Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> > A manager of a jiffy lube in
> > Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

> Does not sound needy at all. A young man with a respectable job..what is
> wrong with that?
>

> My dad sold his vette when mom's teeth got to rattling more that that
> plastic POS.
>
> The ultimate joke du jour.. geezers in Corvettes...BWAhahahahahahahhaha

That happens to be a common joke amongst my Ontario friends. Nobody I know
would consider that in bad taste, too bad you don't understand that.

What, you have to explain every time you make a joke now?
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 05:55:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?

> >> Sent this on to my youngest son who manages a "Mr. Lube" in Ontario
> >> Canada. Thanks....Sharon

> > Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in

denial
> > that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> > Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

> Are you trying to be mean, or does it come naturally?

That happens to be a common joke amongst my Ontario friends. Nobody I know
would consider that in bad taste, too bad you don't understand that.

What, you have to explain every time you make a joke now?
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 07 Apr 2006 10:04:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 05:55:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?

>> > Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in
>> > denial that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy
>> > lube in Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

>> Are you trying to be mean, or does it come naturally?
>>

> That happens to be a common joke amongst my Ontario friends. Nobody I
> know would consider that in bad taste, too bad you don't understand
> that.
>
> What, you have to explain every time you make a joke now?

It's not a common joke anywhere else that I know of, and there is not a
preponderance of Canadians on this newsgroup, although there are some. If
it's a "Canadian thing", then perhaps you should explain it for the
benefit of others.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 07 Apr 2006 05:19:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> Thanks to you and Wayne for your posts....I'm used to snarky. For the
> record, my son enjoys the shop work, but has already been promoted to
> corporate sales. He only "gets to be in the shop" a couple of days a
> week now. For Lefty's edification, it's not jiffy lube, but "Mr. Lube",
> so whatever he knows about the employee structure of one does not equal
> the other.....Any way, DS is happy in his work....Sharon

I'm glad you're son is happy in what he does. After all, that's the bottom
line. I have relatives who are doctors and relatives who are farmers and
fishermen. They all seem happy with what they do. The fact that they are
clearly different in what they do and in what they earn makes no difference
to them or to me.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
> > On Thu 06 Apr 2006 05:55:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?

> > > Did you send him the whole thread or just the part by the moron in

> denial
> > > that his stupidity makes him vulnerable? A manager of a jiffy lube in
> > > Ontario -- can't get more needy than that now, can you?

> > Are you trying to be mean, or does it come naturally?
> >

> That happens to be a common joke amongst my Ontario friends. Nobody I know
> would consider that in bad taste, too bad you don't understand that.
>
> What, you have to explain every time you make a joke now?
> --
> Lefty
>
> Life is for learning
> The worst I ever had was wonderful

Maybe we need an explanation of why your posts are repetetive....?
Damage control? Your joke about jiffy lube may be an inside joke and
not commonly known to others. Think about that before you post. The
original joke was funny, yours slipped in the mud....
I trust the other posters instinctively know we Ontarians are not
all like you.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 07 Apr 2006 11:24:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

======================================
> I trust the other posters instinctively know we Ontarians are not
> all like you.....Sharon

You trust correctly, Sharon.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

True Religion Jeans - True Religion Mens Jeans damo General Cooking 0 31-07-2009 11:13 AM
It's so true Bruce Shaw[_2_] General Cooking 4 06-05-2009 03:38 PM
True? [email protected] Preserving 2 13-05-2006 10:06 PM
Sad but true Vilco General Cooking 49 15-05-2005 06:08 AM
Is this true? Tanya Wine 30 13-09-2004 07:07 AM