Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Powder cream puffs

I can't seem to find a recipe for *powder cream puffs*. I wonder if someone
has a recipe they'd like to share. Someone told me they're also known as
*sponge kisses*.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> I can't seem to find a recipe for *powder cream puffs*. I wonder if someone
> has a recipe they'd like to share. Someone told me they're also known as
> *sponge kisses*.
>
> Jen

How are they different from cream puffs? What kind of powder? There
are recipes including cocoa powder, baking powder and malted milk
powder, to name a few.

Since you're in "AU," this might be what you're looking for:

Sponge Kisses - http://www.bessemer.com.au/cookingshow11r3.htm

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sponge Kisses

[PWMU Cookbook]

2 eggs, their weight in sugar, butter, S.R. flour, cornflour, a few
drops of lemon essence.

Sift flour and cornflour, and beat the eggs. Cream butter and sugar,
add the eggs, lemon essence and then the flours.
Put in teaspoons on greased cookie slide. Bake in mod. oven 10-15 min.
When cool, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and sift
icing sugar over top.

Notes: a little fine grated lemon rind instead of essence.
whipped cream with jam would be nice.

-- Bronnie
(Aussie)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bronwyn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sponge Kisses
>
> Sift flour and cornflour, and beat the eggs. Cream butter and sugar,
> add the eggs, lemon essence and then the flours.
> Put in teaspoons on greased cookie slide. Bake in mod. oven 10-15 min.
> When cool, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and sift
> icing sugar over top.
>
> Notes: a little fine grated lemon rind instead of essence.
> whipped cream with jam would be nice.

That's the one. Do you have the quantities?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jen" > wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to find a recipe for *powder cream puffs*. I wonder if
>> someone
>> has a recipe they'd like to share. Someone told me they're also known as
>> *sponge kisses*.
>>
>> Jen

> "Sponge Kisses" made me think of these meriingue cookies, and I have no
> idea if I'm even close:

They're actually tiny sponge cakes, filled with cream, and dusted with icing
sugar.

Thanks for trying.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What quantities Jen?
Weigh the eggs and then match the other ingredients
to that weight.

By the way, they are yum, haven't made them in a long while!

Cheers
Bron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bronwyn" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> What quantities Jen?
> Weigh the eggs and then match the other ingredients
> to that weight.
>
> By the way, they are yum, haven't made them in a long while!

I'm with you now. I thought it was just the sugar that matched the weight
in eggs. So everything's the same weight? Thanks, I'll try it some time
soon.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bronwyn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sponge Kisses
>
> [PWMU Cookbook]
>
> 2 eggs, their weight in sugar, butter, S.R. flour, cornflour, a few
> drops of lemon essence.
>
> Sift flour and cornflour, and beat the eggs. Cream butter and sugar,
> add the eggs, lemon essence and then the flours.
> Put in teaspoons on greased cookie slide. Bake in mod. oven 10-15 min.
> When cool, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and sift
> icing sugar over top.
>
> Notes: a little fine grated lemon rind instead of essence.
> whipped cream with jam would be nice.

Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe cornflour?
I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine cornmeal, but
those two are pretty different from each other.

Thanks,

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:09:02 -0600, D.Currie wrote:

> "Bronwyn" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Sponge Kisses
> >
> > [PWMU Cookbook]
> >
> > 2 eggs, their weight in sugar, butter, S.R. flour, cornflour, a few
> > drops of lemon essence.
> >
> > Sift flour and cornflour, and beat the eggs. Cream butter and sugar,
> > add the eggs, lemon essence and then the flours.
> > Put in teaspoons on greased cookie slide. Bake in mod. oven 10-15 min.
> > When cool, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and sift
> > icing sugar over top.
> >
> > Notes: a little fine grated lemon rind instead of essence.
> > whipped cream with jam would be nice.
> >

> Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe cornflour?
> I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine cornmeal, but
> those two are pretty different from each other.

Cornflour usually means cornstarch.... trying to find what the heck sr
flour is brough me to an interesting site:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marci...w/recipes.html

Found lots of sites that call for it, but still don't know what it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe cornflour?
> I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine cornmeal, but
> those two are pretty different from each other.

Cornflour is the same as cornstarch in USA. SR Flour is self raising
flour - it's flour mixed with baking powder, you can make your own by mixing
1 cup plain flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote on 06 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >>

> > Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe
> > cornflour? I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a
> > fine cornmeal, but those two are pretty different from each other.

> Cornflour is the same as cornstarch in USA. SR Flour is self
> raising
> flour - it's flour mixed with baking powder, you can make your own by
> mixing 1 cup plain flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder.
>
> Jen

Yeah just What she said.... For further info the RFC FAQ has info on
it.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 05 Apr 2006 11:27:22p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:09:02 -0600, D.Currie wrote:
>

>> "Bronwyn" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Sponge Kisses
>> >
>> > [PWMU Cookbook]
>> >
>> > 2 eggs, their weight in sugar, butter, S.R. flour, cornflour, a few
>> > drops of lemon essence.
>> >
>> > Sift flour and cornflour, and beat the eggs. Cream butter and
>> > sugar, add the eggs, lemon essence and then the flours. Put in
>> > teaspoons on greased cookie slide. Bake in mod. oven 10-15 min. When
>> > cool, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and sift
>> > icing sugar over top.
>> >
>> > Notes: a little fine grated lemon rind instead of essence.
>> > whipped cream with jam would be nice.
>> >

>> Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe
>> cornflour? I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine
>> cornmeal, but those two are pretty different from each other.
>>

> Cornflour usually means cornstarch.... trying to find what the heck sr
> flour is brough me to an interesting site:
> http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marci...w/recipes.html
>
> Found lots of sites that call for it, but still don't know what it is.

self-rising flour

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe cornflour?
> I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine cornmeal, but
> those two are pretty different from each other.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Donna

Betcha it's self-rising, Donna.
And I'm betting on cornstarch being the equivalent of cornflour (I
sometimes see ground mustard referred to as mustard flour).
Maybe the RFC FAQ file has it in the glossary of ingredients.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bronwyn wrote:
> Sponge Kisses
>
> [PWMU Cookbook]
>
> 2 eggs, their weight in sugar, butter, S.R. flour, cornflour, a few
> drops of lemon essence.

> -- Bronnie
> (Aussie)

Those weights work out to roughly these U.S. volume measurements:

SPONGE KISSES - POWER CREAM PUFFS

2 medium eggs (4-oz)
1/2 cup (4-oz) granulated sugar
1/4 pound (4-oz) (8-Tbs) butter
1 cup (4-oz) self rising flour (or 1 cup flour + 2 tsp baking powder)
3/4 cup (4-oz) cornflour (cornstarch)
a few drops of lemon essence (lemon extract)

> Sift flour and cornflour, and beat the eggs. Cream butter and sugar,
> add the eggs, lemon essence and then the flours.
> Put in teaspoons on greased cookie slide. Bake in mod. oven 10-15 min.
> When cool, sandwich together with raspberry or strawberry jam and sift
> icing sugar over top.
>
> Notes: a little fine grated lemon rind instead of essence.
> whipped cream with jam would be nice.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Wed 05 Apr 2006 11:27:22p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?
>
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:09:02 -0600, D.Currie wrote:
>>

>>> "Bronwyn" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe
>>> cornflour? I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine
>>> cornmeal, but those two are pretty different from each other.
>>>

>> Cornflour usually means cornstarch.... trying to find what the heck sr
>> flour is brough me to an interesting site:
>> http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marci...w/recipes.html
>>
>> Found lots of sites that call for it, but still don't know what it is.

> self-rising flour

In UK we call it self raising flour

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Apr 2006 13:55:02 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> self-rising flour

Geeze louise, why didn't they just say it? Well, at least it's not
something exotice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 10:21:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On 6 Apr 2006 13:55:02 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> self-rising flour

> Geeze louise, why didn't they just say it? Well, at least it's not
> something exotice.

:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
28.19:

> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 10:21:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?
>
>> On 6 Apr 2006 13:55:02 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> self-rising flour

>> Geeze louise, why didn't they just say it? Well, at least it's not
>> something exotice.

>:-)

It's a common abbreviation for self-raising flour here. We never use the
full term for anything if we can possibly help it <g>.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Wed 05 Apr 2006 11:27:22p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?
>
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:09:02 -0600, D.Currie wrote:
>>

>>> "Bronwyn" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Sounds interesting, but what's S.R. flour? And can you describe
>>> cornflour? I'm thinking it's either what I'd call cornstarch or a fine
>>> cornmeal, but those two are pretty different from each other.
>>>

>> Cornflour usually means cornstarch.... trying to find what the heck sr
>> flour is brough me to an interesting site:
>> http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marci...w/recipes.html
>>
>> Found lots of sites that call for it, but still don't know what it is.

> self-rising flour

Aargh. I kept thinking the "s" was for "strong" and then I got stuck. Self
rising makes more sense.

Donna

Cream Puffs katreen Recipes 0 27-05-2009 10:53 PM
Cream Puffs International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2006 03:04 AM
Cream Puffs Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-06-2005 12:00 AM
Cream Puffs (7) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2004 04:42 AM
Cream Puffs Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2004 04:31 AM