Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Further question on beef roasts

I've been looking at roasts in the store, especially looking at the
chuck roasts since they were highly recommended, and my store doesn't
seem to have the ones most recommended. I supose it's just a bad week.
But some of the labels are similar to what was recommended, so I
thought I would list what I have found and see if any of these would be
ideal.

The types of chuck roast that were listed here a

chuck eye
7-bone (chuck eye, the underblade, and the top blade) (too big for
crockpot)
chuck blade (too big for crockpot)
top blade
underblade
shoulder (too big for crockpot)

Since I am looking to have a roast that falls apart into stringy
pieces, then the underblade was considered the best for that.

I have found 3 chuck roasts there, although only one seems to be
stocked daily.

7 bone chuck
chuck blade
chuck pot roast

The first two are too big for the crock pot. What is chuck pot roast?
Is that a different name for the one the chucks listed above?

Now, for the other roasts available at the sto

top round roast
round bottom roast
eye of round
round tip roast

Are any of those chuck roast without the word chuck? Is the eye of
round different that chuck eye? Would any of these roast fall apart
into the stringy pieces? The ones I have done in the past that happened
to fall apart (I have no idea what I bought, it was probably whatever
was on sale), they were boneless and fit easily into my smaller
crockpot.

Thanks again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Apr 2006 01:01:38 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I have found 3 chuck roasts there, although only one seems to be
>stocked daily.
>
>7 bone chuck
>chuck blade
>chuck pot roast
>
>The first two are too big for the crock pot. What is chuck pot roast?
>Is that a different name for the one the chucks listed above?

Cut them up into pieces, use one, then freeze the others.

--
Siobhan Perricone
One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Since I am looking to have a roast that falls apart into stringy
> pieces, then the underblade was considered the best for that.

> chuck pot roast

This is what I think you want. It's what I would get. It's also
what I use to make stew beef.

Those rounds are not what you want for the purpose you
stated.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:
(snippage)

> > Cut them up into pieces, use one, then freeze the others.

> Those two have bones. It wouldn't be a problem if I were baking it, but
> even the large crockpot won't hold them, and I don't have a meat saw.

Would the 'butcher' cut them in half for you with their saw? Assuming
they have one. :-/
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> > On 4 Apr 2006 01:01:38 -0700, "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I have found 3 chuck roasts there, although only one seems to be
> > >stocked daily.
> > >
> > >7 bone chuck
> > >chuck blade
> > >chuck pot roast
> > >
> > >The first two are too big for the crock pot. What is chuck pot roast?
> > >Is that a different name for the one the chucks listed above?

> > Cut them up into pieces, use one, then freeze the others.
> >

> Those two have bones. It wouldn't be a problem if I were baking it, but
> even the large crockpot won't hold them, and I don't have a meat saw.

Purchase a regular hacksaw and use it only for food. :-)
That's what I have done. IMHO a "bone saw" is an invaluable kitchen tool.

A medium toothed blade works best for me.

> I'd actually like to cook as much as I can at once time. I just want to
> make sure I get the kind that will turn out like I want. I've been
> disappointed by some of my previous purchases.

I recommend 7 bone, but that's a personal preference.
--
Peace, Om.