Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge

I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg

Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

(makes about 15 blintzes)

1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups buttermilk
4 large eggs
3 Tb melted unsalted butter
3 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Whisk together the ingredients in a large bowl, and let sit for a half
hour, covered with plastic wrap.

Meanwhile, make the filling.

2 Tb butter
4 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tb lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt the butter in a medium sized skillet over low heat. Meanwhile, toss
the sliced apples with the remaining ingredients. Raise the temperature
of the skillet to medium-low and cook the apples until tender, stirring
often (10 minutes or so).

To cook the crepes for the blintzes, heat a nonstick or seasoned cast
iron pan with a flat bottom over medium heat, and melt a small amount
(1/2 Tb or less) butter in it, turning the pan so that it is coated with
the fat. Pour about 1/4 of a cup of batter into the pan at a time,
tilting the pan to make crepes about 6" in diameter. Cook each until it
is golden brown on the bottom, and the batter on top is set and dry ,
and place between sheets of waxed paper. You can make the crepes ahead
of time and refrigerate (short term) or freeze (long term) until you
want to fill and fry them.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...irections1.jpg

Fill the blintzes as illustrated above - Place a few Tb of filling along
the bottom of a crepe, fold the sides and then the bottom in, and roll
up. Fry seam side down, in a medium skillet with 2 Tb of butter and 1 Tb
oil over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

FINE!!

Sesame crusted tofu and stir fry

Sesame Crusted Tofu
1 pound extra firm tofu sliced to half inch slabs, pressed between towels then
cubed
1 bowl with 2 good spoons full of flour
1 bowl with an egg and a couple tbl water beaten
1 bowl with 1/4 cup flour and 2 tbl sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp Penzeys
Vindaloo
Dredge tofu in flour then egg then sesame/flour mix
fry in oil and set aside.

Stir Fry
1 bag of whatever vegetable blend you find in the freezer plus the tail end of
another bag you found that shoudl probably be used.
Saute these veggies in oil and fresh ginger until hot
add:
1 good fat dollop of fermented black bean and garlic sauce
another dollop just for the hell of it
a splash of plum vinegar
a drizzle of chili oil
a heavier drizzle of sesame oil
1 cup Kristian Regale Pear sparkler that you found in the back of the fridge
or orange juice which you more likely have
Heat through
dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 2 tbl hot water and toss that into the stir fry.

Quickly mix the tofu back into the stir fry and serve over rice.

diggity.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe

This is my best recipe. It has been handed down four generations in my
family. I don't cook or bake from recipes much, but this is one I can
share. Hope you like it! My Mom dictated it from memory and it's been
awhile since I have made it, but I think it's do-able as written.

-L.
**************

Mom's Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

Preheat oven at 350F. Grease and flour a 10X15 pan.

Batter:

21/2 C. flour
1 c. sugar
11/2 c. margarine
1/2 t. salt
11/2 t ground clove (or more)
11/2 t. ground allspice (or more)
2 T. cinnamon (or more)

Mix dry ingredients and reserve 1/2 c. for use as topping Add to
remaining mixtu
1 c. buttermilk (or 1c. whole milk to which 2T apple cider vinegar is
added)
3 lg. Eggs
11/2 t. baking soda
beat batter until well mixed

****************

Peel and thinly slice 3 c. apples

****************
Filling: (mix separately from batter)

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick margarine
1T cinnamon
2t. nutmeg
4T flour

Mix well -should be crumbly

**************************

Grease and flour a 10X15 pan
Layer in order:
1/2 wet batter (just over 1/2)
1/2 filling
apples (slightly overlapping
remaining 1/2 filling
remaining 1/2 wet batter (lay across top in thin ribbons)
top with 1/2 c. reserved dry batter ingredients

Be sure the bottom layer of batter is not too thin, or the streusel
will be soggy on the bottom from the filling.
Bake at 350 for approx 40-50 mins until clean knife inserted in center
comes out clean. (Will brown somewhat and possibly crack on top - this
is ok). Refrigerate to keep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Bran Muffins (from _Café Beaujolais_, by Margaret Fox)

1 1/2 cups 100% bran cereal
1/2 cup very hot water
1 cup buttermilk
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, combine bran and water. Add buttermilk, egg, oil, and
raisins. Blend.

Then add the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Fill
muffin papers 2/3 full and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.

The batter can keep for a week or more in the refrigerator in a tightly
covered container. Before using, stir to distribute the fruit.

Bob's notes:
1. I use All-Bran cereal.
2. I use dried berries and cherries instead of raisins.
3. I don't sift the baking soda, exactly. I whisk the flour, baking soda,
and salt together in a separate bowl before adding to the batter.
4. After adding the flour, I don't mix "thoroughly," I mix just until
completely combined. Excessive beating at this point will cause the muffins
to become tough.
5. I don't use muffin papers, because the muffins rise higher without them.
I cover the bottom of the muffin cups either with butter or Pam, depending
on what's available.
6. I let the batter sit for an hour after mixing in the flour, to let the
fruit absorb some of the moisture in the batter.
7. Next time I make this, I intend to increase the fruit to 1/2 cup, and add
a teaspoon of vanilla.
8. I stole this recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

>http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>
>Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
> > wrote:
>

>>http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>>
>>Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

> Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
> presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>
>
> Peace,
> Carol

you can fill them with other fruits, or with cheese, too.

--

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

too late. I've already posted mine in the threads.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:32:11 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:
>
>>http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>>
>>Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

>Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
>presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>

Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
tragic. There should be a telethon!!

serene, aghast
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Fey Fey is offline

Default Recipe Challenge - warming soup

Ok, threw this one together for lunch on Sunday:
Chicken Noodle soup
Soak a handful of thin rice noodles (not the bean thread sort, a bit
thicker) in boiling water for 5 minutes.
fry half a finly sliced onion, a crushed garlic clove and a tespoon
minced ginger in some canola oil until soft. Stir in a heaped teaspoon
sambal blachan and fry until fragrant.
Chop a chicken breast into 2cm cubes and fry in onion paste mixture
until browned.
Add a couple of cups of chicken stock, a chopped tomato and bring to
the boil. Simmer about 5 minutes, stir in the drained noodles and half
a cup of coconut cream. Heat until just below the boil. Ladle into
bowls and garnish with a handful of chopped coriander, thai basil and
thinly sliced chilli. Serve with a box of tissues.
It fed two of us very well. (Yes we are chilli heads!)
Fey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
>>presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>

> Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
> tragic. There should be a telethon!!
>
> serene, aghast

Hey, that was my first time, too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Once the mussels are cooked, add the light soy sauce, sugar and salt and
pepper to taste, then stir. Finally, drizzle the sesame oil over the
mussels. Serve with steamed rice.

Sounds great and I can get everything except the red curry paste. Have
any idea how I might make my own?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve quipped:

>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track.

> How about a recipe for disaster?

You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area prone
to hurricanes?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Hey really a recipe as such but an idea for the summer:

Mixed Fruit Watermelon Pot

Choose whole watermelon (seedless variety, and ripened ones - usually
contrast in the bottom pale colour and the dark green colour, and when
hit it will have vibrations and heavy in weight)

Cut out top of watermelon usually with zig zag strokes (this becomes
the lid). Hollow out the watermelon by scooping small balls of
watermelon flesh into small balls - put those into a very large bowl.
(it's best to use a small scoop - it's like a mini version of ice cream
scoop)

Add any variety of melon into the mix e.g. honey melons, also in small
balls etc. And add any variety of friut you like into the mix. Then
put all the mixed fruit back into the watermelon pot and cover with
lid.

Chill to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

No recipe software to import, and my fingers are tired. But I'll dig
around and post something later today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 03 Apr 2006 09:59:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Here's mine, though I participated very litle.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Old Fashioned Sweet Green Tomato Pie With Sweet Crust

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Basic Sweet Pie Crust -- recipe follows
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- cut into pieces
2 teaspoons heavy cream

Basic Sweet Pie Crust
8 ounces all-purpose flour -- about 1 1/2 cups plus 2
tablespoons
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter -- cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons ice water

n a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar,
flour, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the flour
mixture across the bottom of the prepared piecrust.

Add the tomatoes and lemon juice to the bowl with the remaining flour
mixture and toss to coat. Spoon the tomato mixture into the pie shell, and
dot with the butter.

Roll out the remaining crust on a lightly floured surface. Place on top of
the tomato filling and tuck the overlapping crusts into the pan, forming a
thick edge. Crimp the edges to seal and cut small 1/2-inch long vents in a
decorative pattern along the top crust. With a pastry brush, brush the top
of the crust with the cream, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon
of sugar.

Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake
until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 35 to 40
minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour
before serving.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

For Crust: Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your
fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles
coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers
until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more
water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form
the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at
least 30 minutes before using.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Here's my very favorite spinach recipe, from Home Cooking by Laurie
Colwin:

Cook two packages of frozen chopped spinach. Drain, reserving one cup
of liquid.

Melt four tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, add two tablespoons of
flour. Blend and cook a little but do not brown.

Add two tablespoons of chopped onion and one clove of minced garlic.

Add the cup of spinach liquid slowly, then add 1/2 cup on evaporated
milk, fresh black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon of celery salt, six ounces of
cubed Pepper Jack cheese and then the spinach. Cook until all is
blended.

Turn into a buttered casserole, top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake
for about forty-five minutes at 300.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Umbrian wrote:
>>> Once the mussels are cooked, add the light soy sauce, sugar and salt and

> pepper to taste, then stir. Finally, drizzle the sesame oil over the
> mussels. Serve with steamed rice.
>
> Sounds great and I can get everything except the red curry paste. Have
> any idea how I might make my own?

I am surprised... we get ready made red curry paste at our Asian
markets. Where are you in the world?

But if you are feeling energetic here is the recipe to make it
yourself.. Enjoy!

Red curry paste

12-15 red chillies, seeded
4 shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp chopped ginger root
2 stalks lemon grass, chopped
3 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
4 coriander roots
10 black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
pinch ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp shrimp paste
1 tsp salt

2 tbsp oil

Chuck everything except the oil into a blender, and blend until smooth.
Then stir in the oil, just a little bit at a time, until its all blended
in well. Then you can store this in a jar in the fridge until you are
ready to use it.

BTW, The ready made stuff keeps for ages in the fridge - but I am not
sure if there are any "preservatives" in it. The stuff we get is from
Thailand and as I don't speak/read the language, I am not sure

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

It's almost impossible to ignore a challenge, Carol, so here is a
recipe that I tried and really liked, I made them smaller and served
them as appetizers with a nice selection of wines. ) And booze,
for the ones who wanted something stronger.

The Honorable Barbara A. Mikulski

United States Senator, Maryland

Specialty Recipe

Barbara's Favorite Crab Cake Recipe

Ingredients
1 pound jumbo lump or backfin crab meat
3 slices white bread
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise (light)
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Old Bay or Wye River seasonings
1 Tablespoon snipped parsley (optional)
1 egg
Vegetable oil (for frying)
Tartar sauce, mustard or cocktail sauce

Beat the egg in a bowl. Remove the crusts from the bread
and break the slices into small
pieces. Add to the egg. Mix in the mayonnaise, Dijon
mustard, Chesapeake seasoning and
parsley, and beat well.

Place the crabmeat in a bowl and pour the egg mixture over
the top. Gently toss or fold the
ingredients together, taking care not to break up the
lumps of crabmeat. Form the cakes by
hand or with an ice-cream scoop into 8 mounded rounds
about 3 inches in diameter and
3/4-inch thick. Do not pack the mixture too firmly. The
cakes should be as loose as possible
yet still hold their shape. Place the cakes on a tray or
platter covered with wax paper, cover
and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cooking.

Fry the crab cakes: Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a
depth of about 1-1/2 inches. Heat the
oil and fry the crab cakes, a few at a time, until a
golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
Remove with a slotted utensil to paper towels to drain.

Or broil: Slip then under a preheated broiler until nicely
browned, turning to cook evenly,
about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.

Or saute: Heat a small amount of clarified butter or olive
oil, or a combination, in a skillet
and saute the cakes, turning several times, until golden
brown, about 8 minutes total cooking
time.

Serves: 6
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
> > wrote:
>

>>http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>>
>>Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

> Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
> presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>
>
> Peace,
> Carol

But where is the sour cream? They really look delicious and I cannot
blame Carol for wanting them,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

-----
Enchiladas Blancas - Beef

1-1/2 pounds hamburger
1/2 to 3/4 pound cheddar cheese - shredded
3-oz can chopped olives
1-medium onion, minced
2-(10oz) cans cream of chicken soup
1-pint sour cream
1-dozen tortillas (flour or corn)
vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat and onion and season with salt and pepper. Combine with
grated cheese (reserving some cheese for top) and olives. Combine sour
cream and soup to make a sauce. Fry tortillas in oil until soft. Put
large spoonful of mixture and spoonful of sauce in each tortilla and
roll up. Place rolled tortillas side by side in 13 x 9 baking dish.
Spread remaining sauce over rolled tortillas. Top with remaining grated
cheese. Bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes.
-----
Enchiladas Blancas - Chicken

1-1/2 pounds chicken breast - cooked/shredded
1 (3oz) can mild chilis - diced
2 (10oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1-pint sour cream
1/2 to 3/4 pound monterey jack or chedder cheese - shredded
1 medium red onion - minced
1-dozen flour tortillas
vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions unitl soft. Mix mushroom soup and sour cream to make a
sauce. Combine chicken, chilis, cheese (reserve some cheese for
toping) and onions. Put large spoonful of mixture and spoonful of sauce
in each tortilla and roll up.and roll up. Place rolled tortillas side
by side in 13 x 9 baking dish. Spread remaining sauce over rolled
tortillas. Top with remaining grated cheese. Bake at 350F of 40-45
minutes.
-----

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J wrote:

> I'm surprised that your original recipe has hoisin sauce,
> instead of Thai fish sauce.

Hiya J(ay)... long time no see... The reason is.... <drum roll> DH likes
hoisin sauce and I found this one when looking for something to make
with it.... I can't remember where I found it, so I hope to gawd that it
doesn't belong to anyone heh heh heh. It could have been from Om, or
Kathy in NZ, but I am not sure..... Anyway, we do like fish sauce and
use it in a lot of Thai-type recipes.... which reminds me, I need to
stock up on fish sauce!

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J wrote:

> I'm surprised that your original recipe has hoisin sauce,
> instead of Thai fish sauce.

Oops. Wrong J. Thought you were the "other Jay" in my previous post.
But nice talking to you anyway...

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>>back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>>
>>Peace,
>>Carol

> No recipe software to import, and my fingers are tired. But I'll dig
> around and post something later today.

I don't have recipe software either so I know what you mean. Here a
recipe that was on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese box. I 'm not sure
when but looks to be about 1994 from the best by date.

Creamy Tortellini

3 c cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
1 package Philadelphia Brand cream cheese, softened
1/4 medium cucumber, chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh dill weed
1 oz lox cut into thin strips

combine hot tortellini with remaing ingredients. Toss well. Serve on
warm plates. Garnish with fresh dill, if desired. Makes 2 main meal
servings or 4 appetizer servings.

--
Theft of someone's intellectual property including digital images is
copyright infringement contrary to DMCA of 1998. There is a two faced
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

<shrugs> I posted one yesterday... Yeah it was a repeat but it was on
topic. ;-)

Ok, what I made yesterday:

1/2 lb. fresh whole mushrooms, washed
1/2 lb. fresh brocolli crowns, parted into florets

Steam them with no additional flavorings and put aside.

Add 1/4 cup of evoo and 1 oz. of butter to a cast iron skillet. Slice 1
lb. of boneless skinless free range chicken breasts into 1/4" slices and
sautee'.

Put aside.

Add to the chicken juice and remaining oil in the pan:

1 whole head of pressed garlic
1 whole onion sliced
2 heaping tbs. of fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. salt free lemon pepper
1 tbs. mushroom soy sauce
2 tbs. oyster sauce
2 level tbs. toasted sesame seeds
a few drops of sesame oil
2 cups of fresh chicken stock

Simmer all together for a bit then add:

2 heaping tbs. arrowroot powder slurried in a cup of cold water.

Stir until thick.

Plate the veggies and meat and pour a generous portion of the sauce over
the chicken.

This is what it looks like:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=syvv9u

Of course more of that wonderful sauce was added to the mushrooms after
I took the pic. ;-d
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>back on track. Mine's coming right up!

I didn't post to that thread - not even once - and I won't do it again.
No, seriously...

Pastorio
-------------------

Pice ar y Maen...
....means Welsh cakes on the stone.

My inlaws are Welsh and have made their version of these cakes over the
years. They seem to be like so many foods, no matter how many people in
the room talk about them, every one has a different recipe.

The dough should be stiff and on the dry side; not at all sticky. I cook
them on a cast iron griddle over medium-low heat on the stovetop after
letting it warm up for about 10 minutes.

In Wales, these are made usually on cookstones rather than metal pans,
but I notice that when I make them, cast iron or no cast iron, somehow
they get eaten rather quickly. I help.

3 1/2 cups flour (one pound)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick butter (2 ounces)
1/4 cup lard
1/2 to 3/4 cup currants or sultanas
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
up to 3/4 cup milk
Softened butter for the tops after baking
Put the griddle on medium low heat. While it heats, sift the flour,
baking powder and salt together into a bowl large enough to hold
everything. Cut in the two fats. Add fruit and sugar, then mix to a
stiff, dryish dough with the egg and 1/2 cup milk to start - hard to say
the exact amount - add any more by the tablespoon. Just enough milk to
make it come together. On a lightly floured board, pat or roll out about
1/2-inch thick and either cut into squares with a floured knife, rounds
with a 2 1/2- or 3-inch floured biscuit cutter or scalloped canape
cutter. Lightly grease the griddle with lard or spray. Bake them for
three or four minutes per side; get brown areas on them. Hold on a warm
plate while doing the next batches. Generously brush softened butter on
each one while still hot, pile them up and get out of the way when
everybody finds out you've made them.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:59:12 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> >to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> >back on track.

> How about a recipe for disaster?
>
> -sw

<shmacks Wertz upside the head>

We had enough of that yesterday with the storms and tornadoes... :-(
Lots of people killed.

That make you happy dear?
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> Ok. Guilty as charged. I have posted this before, but we like it:
>
> Mussels in hot spicy sauce
>
> 1 kilogram mussels, cleaned and beards removed
> 3 tablespoons oil
> 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh ginger root
> 1 finely chopped shallot
> 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
> 1 green Pepper, seeded and chopped
> 2 red chilies, seeded and chopped
> 2 teaspoons dry sherry
> 1 teaspoon red curry paste
> 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
> 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
> 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Heat the oil in a large pan, add the shallot, ginger and garlic and
> sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the chilies and green pepper and cook for
> a further 3 minutes. Add the sherry, curry paste, hoisin sauce and the
> mussels and stir. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until all the
> mussels have opened, shaking occasionally. (Discard any mussels that
> have not opened).
>
> Once the mussels are cooked, add the light soy sauce, sugar and salt and
> pepper to taste, then stir. Finally, drizzle the sesame oil over the
> mussels. Serve with steamed rice.

I might have to try this.
To date, I've found mussels to be unbearably "fishy" tasting, so have
not bothered with them for awhile.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Steve quipped:
>
> >> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> >> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> >> back on track.

> > How about a recipe for disaster?

> You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area prone
> to hurricanes?
>
> Bob

It was not below sea level when it was built. ;-)

Like Venice, it sank.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>>>
>>> Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

>> Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
>> presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>
>>
>> Peace,
>> Carol

> But where is the sour cream? They really look delicious and I cannot
> blame Carol for wanting them,

the sour cream was not on the plate yet

--

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz > wrote:
> Umbrian wrote:
> > Sounds great and I can get everything except the red curry paste. Have
> > any idea how I might make my own?

> I am surprised... we get ready made red curry paste at our Asian
> markets. Where are you in the world?

You may not even need to go to an Asian market. In the US, anyway,
most major grocery stores will carry at least on brand of curry paste,
although you'll end up paying almost $5 for a tiny jar (<2oz).
You can get a few different brands, for very little $$$, from
http://importfood.com/chilipaste_cookingsauces.html
(No affiliation. I use them when I am too lazy to trek to the
nearest Asian market.)

> But if you are feeling energetic here is the recipe to make it
> yourself.. Enjoy!

I'm guessing if the poster can't find red curry paste, he/she
probably won't find lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, shrimp
paste, or Thai chiles either. ;-)

> Red curry paste

[recipe snipped]

I'm surprised that your original recipe has hoisin sauce,
instead of Thai fish sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge-Tamale Cassarole

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Here you go. Got this from a girlfriend . It is easy easy and
surprisingly good.
Rosie

TAMALE CASSEROLE
Yield: 12 servings

2 dozen Tamales shucked
Layer in 9 x 13 casserole. .
Mix together:
3 cans Swanson Chicken A La King
1 Large can evaported milk
2 4oz. cans green chilies, chopped

Pour over tamales. Add grated cheddar cheese all over the top. Bake
uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Enjoy:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Here you go. Got this from a girlfriend . It is easy easy and
surprisingly good.
Rosie

TAMALE CASSEROLE
Yield: 12 servings

2 dozen Tamales shucked
Layer in 9 x 13 casserole. .
Mix together:
3 cans Swanson Chicken A La King
1 Large can evaported milk
2 4oz. cans green chilies, chopped

Pour over tamales. Add grated cheddar cheese all over the top. Bake
uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Enjoy:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> -----
> Enchiladas Blancas - Beef
>
> 1-1/2 pounds hamburger
> 1/2 to 3/4 pound cheddar cheese - shredded
> 3-oz can chopped olives
> 1-medium onion, minced
> 2-(10oz) cans cream of chicken soup
> 1-pint sour cream
> 1-dozen tortillas (flour or corn)
> vegetable oil
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Brown meat and onion and season with salt and pepper. Combine with
> grated cheese (reserving some cheese for top) and olives. Combine sour
> cream and soup to make a sauce. Fry tortillas in oil until soft. Put
> large spoonful of mixture and spoonful of sauce in each tortilla and
> roll up. Place rolled tortillas side by side in 13 x 9 baking dish.
> Spread remaining sauce over rolled tortillas. Top with remaining grated
> cheese. Bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes.
> -----
> Enchiladas Blancas - Chicken
>
> 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast - cooked/shredded
> 1 (3oz) can mild chilis - diced
> 2 (10oz) can cream of mushroom soup
> 1-pint sour cream
> 1/2 to 3/4 pound monterey jack or chedder cheese - shredded
> 1 medium red onion - minced
> 1-dozen flour tortillas
> vegetable oil
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Saute onions unitl soft. Mix mushroom soup and sour cream to make a
> sauce. Combine chicken, chilis, cheese (reserve some cheese for
> toping) and onions. Put large spoonful of mixture and spoonful of sauce
> in each tortilla and roll up.and roll up. Place rolled tortillas side
> by side in 13 x 9 baking dish. Spread remaining sauce over rolled
> tortillas. Top with remaining grated cheese. Bake at 350F of 40-45
> minutes.
> -----
>
> Rusty

For the Enchiladas Blancas - Chicken, I forgot to add the step of
frying the flour tortillas before filliing and rolling. Of course with
flour tortillas, since it's being baked in all that sauce, you may not
need to fry them.

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Fey" > wrote:

> Ok, threw this one together for lunch on Sunday:
> Chicken Noodle soup
> Soak a handful of thin rice noodles (not the bean thread sort, a bit
> thicker) in boiling water for 5 minutes.
> fry half a finly sliced onion, a crushed garlic clove and a tespoon
> minced ginger in some canola oil until soft. Stir in a heaped teaspoon
> sambal blachan and fry until fragrant.
> Chop a chicken breast into 2cm cubes and fry in onion paste mixture
> until browned.
> Add a couple of cups of chicken stock, a chopped tomato and bring to
> the boil. Simmer about 5 minutes, stir in the drained noodles and half
> a cup of coconut cream. Heat until just below the boil. Ladle into
> bowls and garnish with a handful of chopped coriander, thai basil and
> thinly sliced chilli. Serve with a box of tissues.
> It fed two of us very well. (Yes we are chilli heads!)
> Fey

Sounds delightful... :-)

What? No jpeg? <lol>

Right now I'm making some black rice in the pressure cooker with the
usual ingredients (chicken stock, onions, garlic, fresh ginger and I was
out of lemon pepper so added some dried ground lemon peel and some black
and white pepper, Mushroom soy sauce and oyster sauce).

This will be served as a side dish with the addition of some canned
straw mushrooms with some fresh grilled salmon with dill and lemon peel.

Needs some greens and I have more fresh brocolli tops in the 'frige, or
some fresh frozen mixed "oriental" veggies. Have not decided yet. <G>

I even still have more baby bok choy so may use that instead.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett

>>> Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
>>> presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>
>>>
>>> Peace,
>>> Carol

>> But where is the sour cream? They really look delicious and I cannot
>> blame Carol for wanting them,

> the sour cream was not on the plate yet

Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
way to pry them off the screen. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

RIGATONI PASTA with RICOTTA in TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

Pasta with Ricotta cheese in a tomato cream sauce topped with parmasean
cheese and parsley.

Ingredients:

* 16 ounces Rigatoni (or other) pasta
* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup onions, finely chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
* 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
* 2 tablespoons basil, finely diced
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano, finely diced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* 16 ounces ricotta cheese
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
* 1/4 cup parsley, chopped.
* 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Procedure

* In a large pot bring 2 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil.
* Cook Rigatoni pasta for 11-minutes (or until al dente), drain and
set aside until needed.
* Over medium heat, melt butter and heat oil in a large skillet.
* Lightly saute onions and garlic cloves, don't brown. Cook about
5-minutes.
* Drain canned tomatoes, dice and add to skillet with onions and
garlic.
* Also add to skillet tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt and
pepper. Simmer 20 minutes.
* Stir in ricotta cheese. Mix well and simmer for 5-minutes.
* Stir in heavy cream and sugar. Mix well and simmer 5 minutes.
* Remove from heat and add to cooked Rigatoni pasta. Mix well.
* Stir in chopped parsley and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over
top.
* Serve hot.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Anthony" > wrote:

> Here's my very favorite spinach recipe, from Home Cooking by Laurie
> Colwin:
>
> Cook two packages of frozen chopped spinach. Drain, reserving one cup
> of liquid.
>
> Melt four tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, add two tablespoons of
> flour. Blend and cook a little but do not brown.
>
> Add two tablespoons of chopped onion and one clove of minced garlic.
>
> Add the cup of spinach liquid slowly, then add 1/2 cup on evaporated
> milk, fresh black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon of celery salt, six ounces of
> cubed Pepper Jack cheese and then the spinach. Cook until all is
> blended.
>
> Turn into a buttered casserole, top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake
> for about forty-five minutes at 300.

We have made this a couple times, and it is wonderful! It is one of
the few ways my kids like cooked spinach, and the only way anyone in our
house likes it squishy.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 09:24:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
Suran?

> sarah bennett wrote:
>> Margaret Suran wrote:

>>> But where is the sour cream? They really look delicious and I cannot
>>> blame Carol for wanting them,

>> the sour cream was not on the plate yet
>>

> Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
> been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
> way to pry them off the screen. )

If no one is looking, just eat them directly from the screen, but be
careful about smearing sour cream on them. You don't want a short circuit.
I won't tell!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" issued a da
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> Peace,
> Carol

If I didn't participate, but followed The Threads faithfully, may I still
contribute?

HELEN'S SPRING DIP
Helen was my husband's mother, and a finer MIL never lived.

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 clove minced garlic

This is a really refreshing, spring-like dip for chips or whatever. It's
crucial that the veggies be hand-chopped into tiny pieces so you get a
little of everything in each scoop.

Sorry I don't have a photo.

Felice