Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge

Om wrote about New Orleans:

>> It's below sea level NOW, and yet we're building...
>>

> I won't argue with that... ;-)
>
> All in favor of moving New Orleans to a safer location, raise
> hands...... <G>
>
> Me! <raises hand>
>
> The cost of building better Levees would have cost one hell of a lot
> less than the current cleanup.
>
> Morons.

I'll be going there for five days in a couple weeks.

Did anybody else watch "The Colbert Report" last night? Colbert's guest was
Jesse Jackson, and Colbert told him, "with the poor people all displaced to
Texas, New Orleans is now affluent."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Tue 04 Apr 2006 03:44:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> ms_peacock?
>
>> In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
>> good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.
>>
>> Ms P

> I love that stuff, and you're right, it always seems to be a hit.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
>
> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

Since I'm diabetic the only time I ever eat it is when I take it to
potlucks. It just makes way too much to have it hanging around the house!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote about New Orleans:
>
> >> It's below sea level NOW, and yet we're building...
> >>

> > I won't argue with that... ;-)
> >
> > All in favor of moving New Orleans to a safer location, raise
> > hands...... <G>
> >
> > Me! <raises hand>
> >
> > The cost of building better Levees would have cost one hell of a lot
> > less than the current cleanup.
> >
> > Morons.

> I'll be going there for five days in a couple weeks.

Be sure to report. :-)

> Did anybody else watch "The Colbert Report" last night? Colbert's guest was
> Jesse Jackson, and Colbert told him, "with the poor people all displaced to
> Texas, New Orleans is now affluent."
>
> Bob

Boo. ;-p

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...

> We are both diabetic and both on Weight Watchers, so things like this are
> very limited for us. :-(
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

That's the beauty of taking it to a potluck, you can have a small serving
and somebody else will eat the rest!! I've never taken leftovers home.
Good thing I don't go to potlucks too often.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
message ...
>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those
>Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least
> partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

I'm an always lurker, seldom poster but I just can't resist a
challenge so following are two recipes that my DH and I enjoy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Acapulco Chicken Soufflé

Recipe By :Newspaper Clipping
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:15
Categories : Cooked Chicken

4 cups cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2#) --
cut in bite size pcs.
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded Jack cheese
2 tablespoons canned diced mild green chilies
2 tablespoons diced red pimientos (2 ounce jar) --
drained
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk -- divided use
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs -- separated
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 dashes ground black pepper
For Serving green chili salsa

Grease a 12x8x2 inch baking dish with butter or margarine.
Preheat oven to 325°.
Arrange chicken pieces in prepared pan; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cheeses, green chilies and pimiento.
Sprinkle cheese-chili mixture over chicken, reserving 1/3 cup of
mixture for later use.
Combine 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and flour in a large bowl;
gradually add remaining milk stirring until smooth. Add egg
yolks, salt and pepper; set aside.
Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold egg whites
into milk mixture. Spread over chicken and cheese mixture,
smoothing the top. Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup cheese-chili mixture
evenly over top.
Bake in preheated 325° oven for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and
golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Serve hot accompanied with green chili salsa.

Cuisine:
"American"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 125 Calories; 8g Fat
(58.7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace
Dietary Fiber; 156mg Cholesterol; 312mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Bert and I really liked this. I sized the recipe to 3
and put it in my 1 quart square corning casserole. I served Pace
Salsa with it.
Use squeaky-clean bowls and beaters for whipping eggs to their
fullest height. Do not over-beat egg whites. If you beat the
egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy, they'll fold
easily into your soufflé mixture.

This is easy to assemble, and has incredible staying power. Once
it puffs up on baking, you can serve it buffet-style without
worry that your soufflé will cave in before everyone has been
served.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef Cannelloni

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef, Ground Ham & Bacon
Italian Pasta

1 onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 cup ham chunk
1/2 pound ground beef
6 ounces baby spinach -- cooked & squeezed dry
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano -- crushed
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 beaten eggs
CHEESE SAUCE:
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
OTHER:
9 sheets fresh lasagna pasta (Trader Joe's)
1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce -- (32 oz.)

For filling: Cook spinach in 5 quart Dutch oven until wilted.
Remove to paper towel and squeeze dry. Chop in food processor.
Process ham cubes. Combine ham and spinach and continue to
process until spinach is chopped fine. Place in large bowl.
Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil until limp. Add garlic and cook 1
minute. Process onion and garlic and add to ham & spinach. Cook
ground beef until meat is brown; Process meat and add to bowl.
Add Parmesan cheese and mix well. Stir in eggs. Set aside.

For cheese sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour
and dash of pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over
medium heat until mixture is thickened. Stir in cheese until
melted. Set aside.

To assemble: Place about 1 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of
green Pyrex pan. Fill lasagna noodles and place on top of
spaghetti sauce. Pour cheese sauce over the top. Make stripes
diagonally across the filled pasta.

Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until
cannelloni are heated through. Makes 6 servings. A good meal
anytime.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 449 Calories; 40g Fat
(79.0% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g
Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 303mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk;
7 Fat.

NOTES : This is my own recipe that I made up and we loved it. I
put it together in my green pan and that worked just right. I
think next time I'd only put 8 cannelloni in the pan though
because I think it would be easier to tell where the tubes were
when getting ready to serve.

This is the second time I've tried to send this so hopefully it
will work this time!

Audrey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Audrey" > wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
> message ...
> >I challenge every single person who has participated in Those
> >Threads to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least
> > partially back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

OK, I haven't really participated in "those threads" but here is a
favorite of ours. Because you par-cook the potatoes on the stove it's
actually possible to have these on a weeknight.

Scalloped Potatoes

Cooks Illustrated March, 2003

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 pounds (about 5 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8
inch thick
1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 bay leaves
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming
subsides. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and
lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper;
cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add potatoes, chicken broth,
cream, and bay leaves and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to
medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are almost tender (paring knife
can be slipped into and out of potato slice with some resistance), about
10 minutes. Discard bay leaves.

3. Transfer mixture to 8-inch-square baking dish (or other 1 1/2-quart
gratin dish); sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake until cream is bubbling
around edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes
before serving.

enjoy
marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!

I have had a hankering for this stuff for a few weeks, and tonight was
the night. I understand that this is used to get rid of leftovers. We
had hamburgers for lunch, and there were sliced tomatoes and onions
left. There was about one small tomato, which I diced, and I took one
small slice of onion and chopped it pretty fine. These aren't listed
below but went in after the cornstarch and before the egg. There was
lettuce left over also, and with 20/20 hindsight, I would have added
some of that, finely chopped, at the end.

HOT AND SOUR SOUP
=================

oil
6 mushrooms, cut up
2 cans beef broth (14oz)
1 can of water
8 oz tofu
1 can sliced bamboo shoots (5 oz net)
2 T soy sauce
2 T rice vinegar
1 t dark roasted sesame oil
1 t white ground pepper
2 T cornstarch in 6 T water
1 juliened carrot (or shred)
2 eggs, beaten
2 green onions, cut into rings

Put a little oil in your pan and saute mushrooms. Add beef broth and
water and cook over low heat while you prep other ingredients. Cut tofu
into sticks, about 1/4 inch thick and of a good length to fit on the
spoons you plan to use. Cut up the bamboo shoots. Big pieces should be
cut lengthwise into thirds, smaller in two and little ones go in as is.
Put the tofu and bamboo shoots in the soup and turn up the heat. Put
soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and pepper in a little bowl and mix. Put
cornstarch in little bowl with water. Put eggs in another little bowl.
Lastly, put onions in another bowl.

When soup comes to a boil, add first little bowl. Stir and taste for
seasoning. Add soy sauce, vinegar, pepper or salt as necessary. When
it comes to a boil again, stir cornstarch and water in the little bowl
thoroughly and slowly add to soup while stirring constantly until it
comes to a boil again. Let boil for a minute to thicken. Add carrot
and let come to a boil again. Stir soup in a circular motion while
boiling and slowly add eggs. They will shred.

You can add the green onion here or serve at the table to be added to
personal preference. I like it at the table, since it doesn't get soggy
and cooked by the third bowl.

Frankly, this isn't very "hot". My wife doesn't like spicy foods. If
everybody eating this likes spicy food, then add chili oil, chili paste
or hot pepper sauce with the first little bowl. My son and I added hot
pepper sauce (Tapatio) at the table.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote:

> HOT AND SOUR SOUP
> =================
>
> oil
> 6 mushrooms, cut up
> 2 cans beef broth (14oz)
> 1 can of water
> 8 oz tofu
> 1 can sliced bamboo shoots (5 oz net)
> 2 T soy sauce
> 2 T rice vinegar
> 1 t dark roasted sesame oil
> 1 t white ground pepper
> 2 T cornstarch in 6 T water
> 1 juliened carrot (or shred)
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 2 green onions, cut into rings
>

> Put a little oil in your pan and saute mushrooms. Add beef broth and
> water and cook over low heat while you prep other ingredients. Cut tofu
> into sticks, about 1/4 inch thick and of a good length to fit on the
> spoons you plan to use. Cut up the bamboo shoots. Big pieces should be
> cut lengthwise into thirds, smaller in two and little ones go in as is.
> Put the tofu and bamboo shoots in the soup and turn up the heat. Put
> soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and pepper in a little bowl and mix. Put
> cornstarch in little bowl with water. Put eggs in another little bowl.
> Lastly, put onions in another bowl.
>
> When soup comes to a boil, add first little bowl. Stir and taste for
> seasoning. Add soy sauce, vinegar, pepper or salt as necessary. When
> it comes to a boil again, stir cornstarch and water in the little bowl
> thoroughly and slowly add to soup while stirring constantly until it
> comes to a boil again. Let boil for a minute to thicken. Add carrot
> and let come to a boil again. Stir soup in a circular motion while
> boiling and slowly add eggs. They will shred.
>
> You can add the green onion here or serve at the table to be added to
> personal preference. I like it at the table, since it doesn't get soggy
> and cooked by the third bowl.

Hm....I don't have any tofu, but I *do* have a sirloin steak to use up. The
substitution is obvious! :-)

I'll also add some halved-and-strained grape tomatoes and garlic (since I
need to use those up too). Maybe some noodles, depending on what the soup
looks like before I add the cornstarch slurry. OH! This would be a good
occasion to see how potent those Penzey's Szechuan peppercorns are; I'll
figure some way to incorporate them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Apr 2006 00:10:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>OH! This would be a good
>occasion to see how potent those Penzey's Szechuan peppercorns are; I'll
>figure some way to incorporate them.

Let me know how those are. I am stopping by the new southern Cal
Penzeys next week..and I might want some of those...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Margaret Suran > hitched up their
> panties and posted
> k.net:
>

>>Not in the safe, I was going to eat some and save some in the freezer.
>> Of course it was impossible, I could not get a single one for
>> myself.
>>
>>I did find some frozen Pirogie in the freezer. I bought them a couple
>>of weeks ago from Christine's, a Polish restaurant on First Avenue and
>>about 12th Street. They are good, but not as good as Barbara's. The
>>dough is tough. I will fry some onions and use up the sour cream I
>>was supposed to bake with, but I was too lazy. There are nine left,
>>I will eat four tonight and keep five for some other dinner. They are
>>half-moon shaped.

> What did you serve with them Margaret? Sorry the dough was tough. I have
> yet to make Barbara's.
>
> Michael

It's not the recipe, Michael, it is what Barbara does with the dough.
They come out light and soft and the dough melts in your mouth.

I ate mine with sautéed onions and sour cream. Marcel had a green
salad, the last of some roasted pork with mashed potatoes, a small
piece of Brie with nice French bread (I had some, too) a Mocha Eclair,
iced coffee and later on, a nice, ripe pear. We both had some
inexpensive Shiraz, Yellow Tail and it was very nice. It comes from
Australia and you can find it for seven or eight dollars a bottle. A
real bargain. I will order a case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Margaret Suran wrote:
> [snip] We both had some
> inexpensive Shiraz, Yellow Tail and it was very nice. It comes from
> Australia and you can find it for seven or eight dollars a bottle. A
> real bargain. I will order a case.

That's the current "house red" of friends of ours. We find that it
takes very well to being decanted. Gets air into it fast and mellows
it.

Our current "house red" is still Santa Rita Reserva cabernet. From
Chile, about the same price as the Yellowtail. It also likes to be
decanted. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Default Recipe Challenge-Tamale Cassarole

aem wrote:
> rosie wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> [snip]
> > > Oh dear. You really must be joking?! I've nothing against Swanson Chicken
> > > a la King but to combine it with canned tamales... that's just not right!

> [snip]
> > Now Jill, try it, then knock it...
> > Rosie

> Around here, tamales come with a wide variety of fillings. I can't
> really visualize any of them being suited for this. What kind of
> tamales do you use? -aem

Around here our tamales are almost universally chicken tamales unless
you make your own or know someone who will custom make them for you
with beef or pork,. Which reminds me, I lost the tamale makers phone
number. One of the kids brought some to school the other day that had a
mix of ground beef, pork, raisins, peas and carrots - sort of a
picadillo tamale. They were totally awesome. You tell her how many you
want, she tells you what to bring her and then charges you for assembly
of the tamales.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Ok, I got told off for posting recipes so I do it mainly on
alt.cooking.chien but since we've been asked here's a favorite I'm going
to make soon.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Won Ton Soup

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Soups

-= Ingredients =-
-MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-
1/2 pk Wonton wrappers
-OR-
-DOUGH-
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
2 cups Sifted enriched flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 large Egg
-SOUP-
1/3 cup Water
6 cups Chicken stock
-FILLING-
2 tablespoons Chopped green onions
1 pound Finely ground cooked pork
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 Egg ; beaten

-= Instructions =-
Dough: Mix and sift flour and salt into mixing bowl. Beat egg slightly
and stir into flour. Add water, a little at a time, mixing until dough is
smooth and right for rolling. Turn out on lightly floured board and knead
until smooth, turning and folding over a fewtimes. Cover and let stand 15
to 10 minutes. Roll out paper thin and cut into 3 inch squares.
Filling: Mix pork and remaining ingredients smoothly together. Place 1
teaspoon of mixture in center of each square. Fold squares in half
diagonally to form triangles and press edges together with a fork. Drop
filled won tons a few at a time into 1 quart boiling salted water and
cook until theyfloat to the surface, about 15 minutes. Remove with
slotted spoon and drain. Soup: Heat stock. Place filled cooked won tons
in bowls. Sprinkle with green onions. Season eachbowl with a little soy
sauce. Pour on hot stock. Variations: Cooked ground beef or shrimp may
be substituted for pork on won ton filling. Finelychopped celery (1/2 cup
and 1 cup tightly packed spinach may be added to chicken stock, in
whichcase cook 1 minute when heating the stock before serving. Recipe
from: Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia of Cooking, Published by
Homemakers ResearchInstitute Evanston, Illinois No, it's not mine, but
I thought you would like it! Mom.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> [snip] We both had some
>>inexpensive Shiraz, Yellow Tail and it was very nice. It comes from
>>Australia and you can find it for seven or eight dollars a bottle. A
>>real bargain. I will order a case.

> That's the current "house red" of friends of ours. We find that it
> takes very well to being decanted. Gets air into it fast and mellows
> it.
>
> Our current "house red" is still Santa Rita Reserva cabernet. From
> Chile, about the same price as the Yellowtail. It also likes to be
> decanted. -aem

I tried Santa Rita, but the Cabernet Sauvignon is not nearly as strong
or big or whatever the word, as the Yellow Tail Shiraz.

The Santa Rita has become popular here and the higher prices can
attest to that popularity. The Yellow Tail is somewhat less per
bottle, a dollar ot two difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 02:58:35 -0400, "CHI-MUM"
> wrote:

>Ok, I got told off for posting recipes so I do it mainly on
>alt.cooking.chien but since we've been asked here's a favorite I'm going
>to make soon

Yeah, I remember that. Go ahead and post recipes. Beats a lot of
stuff that's going on here. Good to see you!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 02:58:35 -0400, "CHI-MUM"
> > wrote:
>
>> Ok, I got told off for posting recipes so I do it mainly on
>> alt.cooking.chien but since we've been asked here's a favorite I'm going
>> to make soon

> Yeah, I remember that. Go ahead and post recipes. Beats a lot of
> stuff that's going on here. Good to see you!

I recall the complaint was about just using this newsgroup as a personal
filing cabinet and just posting hundreds of unrequested recipes in short
succession. It was as annoying as "a lot of stuff that's going on here"
IMO. There probably are better places to post if what you're looking for
is an archived record of your own recipes?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 02:58:35 -0400, "CHI-MUM"
> > wrote:
>
>>Ok, I got told off for posting recipes so I do it mainly on
>>alt.cooking.chien but since we've been asked here's a favorite I'm going
>>to make soon

> Yeah, I remember that. Go ahead and post recipes. Beats a lot of
> stuff that's going on here. Good to see you!
>
> Carol
> --

dog? Don't get it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:43:01 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 02:58:35 -0400, "CHI-MUM"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I got told off for posting recipes so I do it mainly on
>>> alt.cooking.chien but since we've been asked here's a favorite I'm going
>>> to make soon

>> Yeah, I remember that. Go ahead and post recipes. Beats a lot of
>> stuff that's going on here. Good to see you!

>I recall the complaint was about just using this newsgroup as a personal
>filing cabinet and just posting hundreds of unrequested recipes in short
>succession. It was as annoying as "a lot of stuff that's going on here"
>IMO. There probably are better places to post if what you're looking for
>is an archived record of your own recipes?

I meant at the level she's posting at now. She shouldn't be scared to
post a recipe every now and then.

Carol