Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 01:47:18p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
Suran?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 04 Apr 2006 09:24:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Margaret Suran?

>>>Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
>>>been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
>>>way to pry them off the screen. )
>>>

>> If no one is looking, just eat them directly from the screen, but be
>> careful about smearing sour cream on them. You don't want a short
>> circuit. I won't tell!
>>

> Wayne, What a stupid idea. I will have to sue you for a new laptop.
> I have now a screen with a large hole and lots of toothmarks. (
> It is difficult to get the shards out from between my teeth!

Surely, Margaret, you do not do everything I suggest. :-) I must remember
to become an L.L.C.

But there may be a solution...Using the mouse, highlight all of the shards
between your teeth and press the delete key!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Apr 2006 12:28:54 -0700, "Rusty" > wrote:

>RAMEN PIZZA
>http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=209544
>
>8~}
>
>Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was the Worst Recipe Contest. ;-)

OMG! I'm so glad I checked the bottom of your post. I was horrified!
Carol, still a little queasy
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:22:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>> >Hey, that was my first time, too!

>> Blintz virgins, unite!

>LOL thinking of the old Fly United Tshirts :-)

The one with the (Canadian) geese?

>I have never had a blintz, never seen a live blintz, but would love to
>try one.

Me too!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge-Tamale Cassarole

rosie wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>>
>> Peace,
>> Carol

> Here you go. Got this from a girlfriend . It is easy easy and
> surprisingly good.
> Rosie
>

> TAMALE CASSEROLE
> Yield: 12 servings
>
> 2 dozen Tamales shucked
> Layer in 9 x 13 casserole. .
> Mix together:
> 3 cans Swanson Chicken A La King
> 1 Large can evaported milk
> 2 4oz. cans green chilies, chopped
>
> Pour over tamales. Add grated cheddar cheese all over the top. Bake
> uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
> Enjoy:

Oh dear. You really must be joking?! I've nothing against Swanson Chicken
a la King but to combine it with canned tamales... that's just not right!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.

Ms P

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Pudding

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Vegetables

1 can whole kernel corn -- drained (15oz)
1 can cream style corn (15oz)
1/2 stick butter -- softened
1 egg -- slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more like a cup)

Mix first 6 ingredients and add the Jiffy mix. Pour into greased 9X13 and
sprinkle with the cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1907 Calories; 137g Fat (64.8%
calories from fat); 39g Protein; 129g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 489mg
Cholesterol; 2337mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1
Non-Fat Milk; 25 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

ms_peacock wrote:
>[snip]
> In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
> good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.

I like the looks of this and I'm going to try it. Is the Jiffy mix
the sweet type? Do you think a small can of green chiles (the mild
kind) would be too much? Is the pudding consistency fairly firm or
softer/wetter? As I say, I am going to try it so if you don't have
time to answer that's fine. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> rosie wrote:
> > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> >> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> >> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >>
> >> Peace,
> >> Carol

> > Here you go. Got this from a girlfriend . It is easy easy and
> > surprisingly good.
> > Rosie
> >

> > TAMALE CASSEROLE
> > Yield: 12 servings
> >
> > 2 dozen Tamales shucked
> > Layer in 9 x 13 casserole. .
> > Mix together:
> > 3 cans Swanson Chicken A La King
> > 1 Large can evaported milk
> > 2 4oz. cans green chilies, chopped
> >
> > Pour over tamales. Add grated cheddar cheese all over the top. Bake
> > uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
> > Enjoy:

> Oh dear. You really must be joking?! I've nothing against Swanson Chicken
> a la King but to combine it with canned tamales... that's just not right!
>
> Jill

Now Jill, try it, then knock it...
Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> 2/3 yeast cake

Yes, I know I could look it up, but I'm not going to... If I were to
use dry yeast instead of fresh, how much should I substitute?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

rosie wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > rosie wrote:
> > > TAMALE CASSEROLE
> > > Yield: 12 servings
> > >
> > > 2 dozen Tamales shucked

[snip]
> > Oh dear. You really must be joking?! I've nothing against Swanson Chicken
> > a la King but to combine it with canned tamales... that's just not right!

[snip]
> Now Jill, try it, then knock it...
> Rosie

Around here, tamales come with a wide variety of fillings. I can't
really visualize any of them being suited for this. What kind of
tamales do you use? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:23:40 -0700, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> 2/3 yeast cake

> Yes, I know I could look it up, but I'm not going to... If I were to
>use dry yeast instead of fresh, how much should I substitute?

Ya know, I have no idea. Maybe one of the rfc bakers will have an
idea?

I don't have time myself to look it up right now, as I need to tear
myself away from rfc and get some stuff done.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Around here, tamales come with a wide variety of fillings. I can't
really visualize any of them being suited for this. What kind of
tamales do you use? -aem

My friend used beef tamales, but I prefer chicken tamales. However,
the beef tastes fine, tho it sounds pretty strange.

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:50:20 -0700, Serene >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:32:11 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:

> >>Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
> >>presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>

> >Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
> >tragic. There should be a telethon!!
> >
> >serene, aghast

> I've lead a very sheltered life. Let me know when you get this
> telethon thing up and running.

*nodnod*

Not everyone had the good luck of growing up on the east coast (of the
US) with a half-jewish, half-italian momma. Food was and is her mode
of communication.

serene (mmmmm, my aunt Sandy's blintzes. I can taste them now!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> ms_peacock wrote:
> >[snip]
> > In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
> > good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.
> >

> I like the looks of this and I'm going to try it. Is the Jiffy mix
> the sweet type? Do you think a small can of green chiles (the mild
> kind) would be too much? Is the pudding consistency fairly firm or
> softer/wetter? As I say, I am going to try it so if you don't have
> time to answer that's fine. -aem

I'm pretty sure this is the same recipe that my friend Patty used to
make. It's got a firm consistency, like a pudding-y cornbread, if that
makes sense. Softer than a loaf of cornbread, but still something
that's cut with a knife and served, not spooned out. It's definitely
not a custard-y consistency like quiche or scalloped corn in a water
bath. HTH!

I know Patty used to use green chiles in hers - she's from NM where
they use green chile in everything!! Just drain them well. She also
sometimes added minced red pepper, for color.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Apr 2006 17:26:54 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

>I'm pretty sure this is the same recipe that my friend Patty used to
>make. It's got a firm consistency, like a pudding-y cornbread, if that
>makes sense. Softer than a loaf of cornbread, but still something
>that's cut with a knife and served, not spooned out. It's definitely
>not a custard-y consistency like quiche or scalloped corn in a water
>bath. HTH!

Spoonbread!!!!!!!

Christine, who was born and raised in VA, and knows spoonbread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> ms_peacock wrote:
>>[snip]
>> In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
>> good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.
>>

> I like the looks of this and I'm going to try it. Is the Jiffy mix
> the sweet type? Do you think a small can of green chiles (the mild
> kind) would be too much? Is the pudding consistency fairly firm or
> softer/wetter? As I say, I am going to try it so if you don't have
> time to answer that's fine. -aem

I think Jiffy mix is kind of on the sweet side. It's firm but still
somewhat soft. It's not a pudding consistancy though. Green chiles would
be an excellent addition to this!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Geez, I turn my back for a while, and this place explodes. I'll refrain from
any other comments; seems like more than enough has already been said.

I didn't post to (that/those) thread(s) but this isn't quite a recipe,
either. So that seems fair. And it's how I cook.

I started with a little over a half-loaf of bread dough that had been in the
fridge. I had put some parmesan cheese in it, so I figured I might as well
embellish a little more. I chopped up some rehydrated sundried tomatoes and
a spring of rosemary from a plant that I have on the windowsill. Kneaded it
all in and made a round loaf from it.

Would have made a good focaccia-type loaf. Basil and/or garlic would have
been good, too.

We had that bread for sandwiches with some leftover roast leg 'o lamb.

Yum.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:50:12 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Bubba, please, stop scaring my friends. Go and make your blinchiki.
>Thank you. Sounds like little chickens, doesn't it?

ROFL!! Thanks for standing up for me, Margaret. That Bubba is just
getting so MEAN in his old age.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:39:09 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:
>

>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> > You had them as the main dish and not dessert? LOL I should try that
>> > sometime. Blitze and salad.

>> and potato kugel!

> Is that what that was? How dumb of me... I thought they were those
> frozen hash brown thingies.

same difference.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om replied:

>> You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area
>> prone to hurricanes?

> It was not below sea level when it was built. ;-)
>
> Like Venice, it sank.

It's below sea level NOW, and yet we're building...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> dee wrote:
> > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> > >
> > > Peace,
> > > Carol

> > Hey really a recipe as such but an idea for the summer:
> >
> > Mixed Fruit Watermelon Pot
> >
> > Choose whole watermelon (seedless variety, and ripened ones - usually
> > contrast in the bottom pale colour and the dark green colour, and when
> > hit it will have vibrations and heavy in weight)
> >
> > Cut out top of watermelon usually with zig zag strokes (this becomes
> > the lid). Hollow out the watermelon by scooping small balls of
> > watermelon flesh into small balls - put those into a very large bowl.
> > (it's best to use a small scoop - it's like a mini version of ice cream
> > scoop)
> >
> > Add any variety of melon into the mix e.g. honey melons, also in small
> > balls etc. And add any variety of friut you like into the mix. Then
> > put all the mixed fruit back into the watermelon pot and cover with
> > lid.
> >
> > Chill to eat.

> I hope this isn't a picture of the dish. Does this food taste funny?
>
> http://www.vrag.ru/images/news_pic/funny_food.jpg
>
> -Rusty

Lol....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> >I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
> good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.
>
> Ms P
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Corn Pudding
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Casseroles Vegetables

> 1 can whole kernel corn -- drained (15oz)
> 1 can cream style corn (15oz)
> 1/2 stick butter -- softened
> 1 egg -- slightly beaten
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
> 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more like a cup)
>
> Mix first 6 ingredients and add the Jiffy mix. Pour into greased 9X13 and
> sprinkle with the cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1907 Calories; 137g Fat (64.8%
> calories from fat); 39g Protein; 129g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 489mg
> Cholesterol; 2337mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1
> Non-Fat Milk; 25 1/2 Fat.
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
to Florida....tia....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
message ...
>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those
>Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least
> partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

I'm more of a lurker rather than a poster but I just can't ignore
a challenge so here goes. Please remember, I'm not well versed
in posting.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Acapulco Chicken Souffle

Recipe By :Newspaper Clipping
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:15
Categories : Cooked Chicken

4 cups cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2#) --
cut in bite size pcs.
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded Jack cheese
2 tablespoons canned diced mild green chilies
2 tablespoons diced red pimientos (2 ounce jar) --
drained
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk -- divided use
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs -- separated
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 dashes ground black pepper
For Serving green chili salsa

Grease a 12x8x2 inch baking dish with butter or margarine.
Preheat oven to 325°.
Arrange chicken pieces in prepared pan; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cheeses, green chilies and pimiento.
Sprinkle cheese-chili mixture over chicken, reserving 1/3 cup of
mixture for later use.
Combine 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and flour in a large bowl;
gradually add remaining milk stirring until smooth. Add egg
yolks, salt and pepper; set aside.
Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold egg whites
into milk mixture. Spread over chicken and cheese mixture,
smoothing the top. Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup cheese-chili mixture
evenly over top.
Bake in preheated 325° oven for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and
golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Serve hot accompanied with green chili salsa.

Cuisine:
"American"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 125 Calories; 8g Fat
(58.7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace
Dietary Fiber; 156mg Cholesterol; 312mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Bert and I really liked this. I served Pace Salsa with
it.
Use squeaky-clean bowls and beaters for whipping eggs to their
fullest height. Do not over-beat egg whites. If you beat the
egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy, they'll fold
easily into your souffle mixture.

This is easy to assemble, and has incredible staying power. Once
it puffs up on baking, you can serve it buffet-style without
worry that your souffle will cave in before everyone has been
served.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef Cannelloni

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef, Ground Ham & Bacon
Italian Pasta

1 onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 cup ham chunk
1/2 pound ground beef
6 ounces baby spinach -- cooked & squeezed dry
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano -- crushed
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 beaten eggs
CHEESE SAUCE:
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
OTHER:
9 sheets fresh lasagna pasta (Trader Joe's)
1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce -- (32 oz.)

For filling: Cook spinach in 5 quart dutch oven until wilted.
Remove to paper towel and squeeze dry. Chop in food processor.
Process ham cubes. Combine ham and spinach and continue to
process until spinach is chopped fine. Place in large bowl.
Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil until limp. Add garlic and cook 1
minute. Process onion and garlic and add to ham & spinach. Cook
ground beef until meat is brown; Process meat and add to bowl.
Add Parmesan cheese and mix well. Stir in eggs. Set aside.

For cheese sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour
and dash of pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over
medium heat until mixture is thickened. Stir in cheese until
melted. Set aside.

To assemble: Place about 1 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of
green pyrex pan. Fill lasagna noodles and place on top of
spaghetti sauce. Pour cheese sauce over the top. Make stripes
diagonally across the filled pasta.

Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until
canelloni are heated through. Makes 6 servings. A good meal
anytime.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 449 Calories; 40g Fat
(79.0% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g
Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 303mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk;
7 Fat.

NOTES : This is my own recipe that I made up and we loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 03:44:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ms_peacock?

> In spite of the fact this is made with canned and boxed stuff it's really
> good. It's always a hit at every pot luck I've ever taken it to.
>
> Ms P

I love that stuff, and you're right, it always seems to be a hit.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om replied:
>
> >> You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area
> >> prone to hurricanes?

> > It was not below sea level when it was built. ;-)
> >
> > Like Venice, it sank.

> It's below sea level NOW, and yet we're building...
>
> Bob

I won't argue with that... ;-)

All in favor of moving New Orleans to a safer location, raise
hands...... <G>

Me! <raises hand>

The cost of building better Levees would have cost one hell of a lot
less than the current cleanup.

Morons.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:54:51 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>>back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Shredded Wheat and Eggs (which Serene insists on calling shredded eggs
and wheat)

Per person:

2 of those large shredded-wheat biscuits (we use Barbara's brand,
because they're round, and James likes that they don't leave pointy
edges when you crumble them up)
2 over easy eggs
1 pat butter or margarine
salt & pepper

Crumble up the shredded wheat on a plate. Top with a pat of butter.
Top that with the eggs, salt, and pepper. Mush up the whole thing
with a fork until the pieces of egg white are all pretty small and the
yolk has soaked into the shredded wheat.

I know it's weird, but James used to eat it as a child, and he's
converted me to it. We just had it for breakfast, and it was yummy.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
> both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
> to Florida....tia....Sharon

You can make your own mix.

>From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,1...251206,00.html

CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX

4 c. unbleached flour
4 c. yellow corn meal
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking powder
1 c. vegetable shortening

Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.

TO MAKE MUFFINS:

2 2/3 c. above mix
1 c. milk
1 egg

Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:41:17 GMT, "Audrey" >
wrote:

>I'm more of a lurker rather than a poster but I just can't ignore
>a challenge so here goes. Please remember, I'm not well versed
>in posting.

Hi Audrey! Welcome to the wonderful world of posting! And I
definitely think you should continue. Those look like good recipes.

I'm going to have a tough time getting around to all of those that
have been posted. Almost all look like something that Crash and I
would like. There's one that's just for him and a couple that are
just for me. But many, many look like good "family" dishes.

Thanks to everyone who has and who will be meeting the challenge!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> biig wrote:
> > >

> > Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
> > both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
> > to Florida....tia....Sharon

> You can make your own mix.
>
> >From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:

> http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,1...251206,00.html
>
> CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX
>
> 4 c. unbleached flour
> 4 c. yellow corn meal
> 3/4 c. sugar
> 1/4 c. baking powder
> 1 c. vegetable shortening
>
> Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
> with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
> in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.
>
> TO MAKE MUFFINS:
>
> 2 2/3 c. above mix
> 1 c. milk
> 1 egg
>
> Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
> will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
> Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
>

> -Rusty

A box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is 8.5-oz. The Nutritional Facts label
says a serving is 1/4 cup (1.5-oz) and there are 6 servings per
container. So there is about 1-1/2 cups of corn muffin mix per 8.5-oz
box.

When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, use 1-1/2 cups
of the above corn muffin recipe mix.

http://www.jiffymix.com/
http://www.jiffymix.com/cornnutrition.htm

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yorkshire Curd Cheesecake

Ingredients:
8 oz curds
2 eggs
4 oz sugar
2 oz currants
small knob of butter melted
shortcrust pastry

Method:
Mix the curds with the dried fruit Stir well-beaten eggs in with the sugar
and butter.
Line a 7 or 8 inch dish or plate with pastry.
Put in the curd mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes in a moderate oven or until set.

TO MAKE CURDS

Warm milk to blood heat and add spoonful of rennet or lemon juice. When
curds are formed spoon into a cloth and hang over bowl overnight to allow
the whey to drain out.

Note. The whey can be used for making scones

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:

> biig wrote:
> > >

> > Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
> > both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
> > to Florida....tia....Sharon

> You can make your own mix.
>
> >From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:

> http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,1...251206,00.html
>
> CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX
>
> 4 c. unbleached flour
> 4 c. yellow corn meal
> 3/4 c. sugar
> 1/4 c. baking powder
> 1 c. vegetable shortening
>
> Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
> with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
> in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.
>
> TO MAKE MUFFINS:
>
> 2 2/3 c. above mix
> 1 c. milk
> 1 egg
>
> Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
> will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
> Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
>
> -Rusty

Thanks Rusty. How would that convert from adding 1 box of Jiffy
mix? Does anyone have a box that could tell me what the measurements
would be?

tia....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:

> Rusty wrote:
> > biig wrote:
> > > >
> > > Where in Canada do you find Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix? I've looked at
> > > both our grocery stores and had no luck?? I used to get it when we went
> > > to Florida....tia....Sharon

> > You can make your own mix.
> >
> > >From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:

> > http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,1...251206,00.html
> >
> > CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX
> >
> > 4 c. unbleached flour
> > 4 c. yellow corn meal
> > 3/4 c. sugar
> > 1/4 c. baking powder
> > 1 c. vegetable shortening
> >
> > Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
> > with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
> > in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.
> >
> > TO MAKE MUFFINS:
> >
> > 2 2/3 c. above mix
> > 1 c. milk
> > 1 egg
> >
> > Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
> > will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
> > Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
> >

> > -Rusty

> A box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is 8.5-oz. The Nutritional Facts label
> says a serving is 1/4 cup (1.5-oz) and there are 6 servings per
> container. So there is about 1-1/2 cups of corn muffin mix per 8.5-oz
> box.
>
> When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, use 1-1/2 cups
> of the above corn muffin recipe mix.
>
> http://www.jiffymix.com/
> http://www.jiffymix.com/cornnutrition.htm
>
> -Rusty

OOOPS. I posted the question a bit too soon...Thanks.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Margaret Suran > hitched up their panties
> and posted ink.net:
>

>>Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
>>been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
>>way to pry them off the screen. )

> Lock 'em in the safe once you get the off the screen
>
> Michael

Not in the safe, I was going to eat some and save some in the freezer.
Of course it was impossible, I could not get a single one for myself.

I did find some frozen Pirogie in the freezer. I bought them a couple
of weeks ago from Christine's, a Polish restaurant on First Avenue and
about 12th Street. They are good, but not as good as Barbara's. The
dough is tough. I will fry some onions and use up the sour cream I
was supposed to bake with, but I was too lazy. There are nine left,
I will eat four tonight and keep five for some other dinner. They are
half-moon shaped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
> >Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> >
> >> I've never seen a blintz before.

> >Eh? You've never see a crêpe, a simple thin pancake often rolled or
> >formed into an envelope-like shape around some kind of filling ?

> Never one that was called a blintz!

Go ahead and call the next crêpe you see a blintz and dare it to say
anything to the contrary!

> >I'm flabbergasted!

> I thought you were Russian.

I can be anything I damn well want... flummoxed, Greek, gobsmacked,
Bosnian, dumbfounded, Elbonian... you name it! Today I'm Italian.

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una newsgroup oscura
ché la diritta via era smarrita....

> >Bubba
> >who is planning to make some meat-filled blinchiki (same thing) tomorrow

> I'm terrified of trying to make crepes or anything like them. I
> probably would have tried blintzes, but now I'm scared. *******.

You are cute when you are scared.

Here are some blinchiki (blintzes, crêpes, etc.) recipes.

*Meat Blinchiki* (based on The Russian Cookbook by Nina
Nikolaieff and Nancy Phelan)

Some notes: I personally prefer to cook blinchiki on one side only
before putting in the filling. I then put the filling on that side.
That way they won't be overcooked when fried further with the filling
inside. I also sometimes use water instead of milk and boiled meat
instead of fried. Those who like their blinchiki on the crisp side (I
don't) add some (less than a tablespoon) of vodka or cognac to the
batter. The thickness of blinchiki isn't mentioned in the recipe, but
it is understood that they should be as thin as possible.

For Meat Filling

1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
pepper
1 1/2 pounds finely-minced beef
1 large onion
2 tablespoons butter for frying
1 1/2 tablespoons flour

For Blinchiki

3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups water
4 tablespoons butter for frying

Make the meat filling first. Add water, salt and pepper to meat and mix
well. Chop and fry the onions in butter till light brown. Add meat to
onions, mixing all the time to avoid uncooked lumps and fry for about 10
minutes. When almost cooked sprinkle half the flour on meat and mix in
well; then add the rest of the flour and mix again. Cook for 3 minutes.
Remove from stove and leave to cool.

To make the blinchiki, lightly beat the eggs and milk together. Sift
the flour and salt together, add to eggs and milk and mix till smooth.
Add water and mix again. In a hot frying-pan put 1/2 teaspoon butter.
Pour in about 4 tablespoons of blinchiki mixture and cook on one side,
then on the other till light brown. Drain on grease-proof paper.
Continue process till all blinchiki are made.

Put 1 tablespoon of meat filling on each blinchik, not quite in centre.
Fold over a flap to cover filling, then fold in each side and finally
roll up remaining side, making a kind of envelope. Five minutes before
serving heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the frying-pan, put in the
blinchiki and brown all over. Serve hot, with broth or as a light lunch
or supper. This quantity should make 12-14 blinchiki.

*Curd Cheese (Farmer's Cheese) Blinchiki*

Blinchiki are made the same way as above - only the filling the cooking
method are different.

For Curd Cheese Filling

1 pound curd cheese (farmer's cheese)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
vanilla extract

For Sauce

1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to Reg. 8: 450 F. Make the filling by mixing together the
cottage cheese, sugar and egg, adding vanilla to taste. Put 1
tablespoon of filling on each blinchik and fold as described above.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in the frying-pan, put in the blinchiki and
lightly brown all over. When all are fried put them side by side in an
oven-proof dish which can be brought to the table, mix together the sour
cream and sugar, pour over the blinchiki and bake in a hot oven for 10
minutes. Serve hot.

These blinchiki can be served without oven-baking. The sour cream is
poured over each one after frying and they are ready to eat.

*Blinchiki with Jam*

This version is, of course, easy enough - just use your favourite jam (I
suggest Barb's Beety Beauty) as a filling.

*Ukrainian Blinchiki with Sour-Cherry Filling*

Pit the cherries, reserving the stones, put in a non-reactive dish.
Sprinkle with sugar and leave in a sunny, warm place for 2-3 hours or
longer. Pour off the juice, reserving it. Prepare blinchiki, fill them
with cherries and lightly brown all over as described above.

Meanwhile, crush 5-7 cherry stones roughly and put them together with
the rest of the stones in a non-reactive dish. Add about 3/4 cup water
and boil for a couple of minutes. Strain the liquid, discarding the
stones, add sugar and let it boil again. Take from the heat, let cool
and mix with the cherry juice. Serve with the blinchiki.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> > I'm terrified of trying to make crepes or anything like them. I
> > probably would have tried blintzes, but now I'm scared. *******.

> Bubba, please, stop scaring my friends.

But they like it!!

Bubba