Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 04 Apr 2006 09:24:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
> >>

> > Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
> > been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
> > way to pry them off the screen. )
> >

> If no one is looking, just eat them directly from the screen, but be
> careful about smearing sour cream on them. You don't want a short circuit.
> I won't tell!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Enjoy!

http://images.google.com/images?q=bl...=Search+Images

;-)

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 11:17:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rusty?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 04 Apr 2006 09:24:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Margaret
>> >>
>> > Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
>> > been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
>> > way to pry them off the screen. )
>> >

>> If no one is looking, just eat them directly from the screen, but be
>> careful about smearing sour cream on them. You don't want a short
>> circui t. I won't tell!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> Enjoy!
>
> http://images.google.com/images?q=bl...=Search+Images
>
> ;-)
>
> -Rusty

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>
> Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:
>
> (makes about 15 blintzes)

You had them as the main dish and not dessert? LOL I should try that
sometime. Blitze and salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track.

Pea Soup (aka Ground Pork and Peas)

A typical ABC (american-born-chinese) family recipe. No surprises, but
care with the details will give you a "comfort food" rewarding dish.
-aem

Ingredients

1 lb. ground pork
2 TB garlic, chopped
2 TB ginger, chopped
4 scallions
11 medium-size dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water until soft
1 small can water chestnuts or 11 fresh, peeled and sliced
1 cup frozen peas (regular size work better than petite)
soy sauce
rice wine or dry sherry or dry vermouth
fresh ground black pepper
sesame oil
1 TB cornstarch mixed with 1 TB cold water

Mise en place

1. Chop garlic and ginger. Set half of it aside.
2. Mix pork with remaining garlic and ginger and 1 TB each soy sauce
and wine. Set aside.
3. Slice mushrooms, squeeze excess water from them. Set aside.
Reserve soaking water.
4. Drain, rinse and drain water chestnuts. Set aside.
5. Microwave frozen peas for 2 minutes. Set aside.
6. Slice scallions including as much green as still crisp. Set aside.
7. Mix cornstarch slurry. Set aside.

Process

1. Heat a wok or other heavy pan over high heat. Add 1 or 2 TB peanut
oil. When the oil begins to produce wisps of smoke, add the reserved
garlic and ginger, then the pork and the mushrooms and stirfry. Add a
pinch of salt and a generous number of grinds of black pepper. The pan
must stay very hot to fry, not steam, the meat.

2. When the pork has all browned (2 or 3 minutes) add the peas.
Season with salt and pepper (and an optional pinch of sugar), then stir
in. Keep the heat high.

3. Stir in the water chestnuts and scallions. Add the reserved
mushroom water (but not the debris that settled to the bottom). Let it
come to a boil. If there is less than at least 1 cup of liquid add
more water or chicken broth. You want a soupy consistency at this
point.

4. Make a well in center of wok and add 1/4 tsp sesame oil and the
cornstarch slurry. Stir until it begins to thicken and glaze, then
give it all another stir, lower heat to simmer for a couple of minutes,
just until peas are fully cooked.

5. Serve over steamed white rice.
--------------
Notes: 1. For this recipe, the fattier pork you can find, the
better. If you grind your own, use pork butt or shoulder and extra
fat.
2. Canned water chestnuts are okay. Drain and rinse
them well in fresh cold water, then drain again. Fresh water chestnuts
are tedious to peel and slice but very much worth the effort. If you
are lucky enough to see them at an Asian market, grab about eleven of
them for this dish.
3. A few snowpeas, sliced in half diagonally if large,
make a nice garnish. If using, fry them before step 1 for 20 - 30
seconds, then remove from wok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:59:12 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Hey, everyone... make those recipes into new threads! The more the
merrier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:
>

>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>> >
>> > Peace,
>> > Carol

>> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>>
>> Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:
>>
>> (makes about 15 blintzes)
>>

> You had them as the main dish and not dessert? LOL I should try that
> sometime. Blitze and salad.

and potato kugel!

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> > Peace,
> > Carol

> RIGATONI PASTA with RICOTTA in TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

(recipe snipped)

This one's a keeper! Thanks, Rusty.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

2 stalks lemon grass, chopped
3 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
4 coriander roots

I guess you aren't kidding? Too bad! Can't get any of those in small
town Italy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
people?

Not Peace,
Dan

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
> been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
> way to pry them off the screen. )

<giggles>

Well stated.....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> [...]

> cornstarch slurry. Stir until it begins to thicken and glaze, then
> give it all another stir, lower heat to simmer for a couple of minutes,
> just until peas are fully cooked.
>
> 5. Serve over steamed white rice.
> --------------
> Notes: 1. For this recipe, the fattier pork you can find, the
> better. If you grind your own, use pork butt or shoulder and extra
> fat.
> 2. Canned water chestnuts are okay. Drain and rinse
> them well in fresh cold water, then drain again. Fresh water chestnuts
> are tedious to peel and slice but very much worth the effort. If you
> are lucky enough to see them at an Asian market, grab about eleven of
> them for this dish.
> 3. A few snowpeas, sliced in half diagonally if large,
> make a nice garnish. If using, fry them before step 1 for 20 - 30

Never considered adding Shitake to peas. :-)

Thanks for the idea!

IME, I always make pork stock in advance so that I can de-fat it.
It makes for a better texture, but that's just my personal taste......
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>

>>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>>back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>>
>>Peace,
>>Carol

> All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
> people?
>
> Not Peace,
> Dan

pizza

Bread machine crust made with beer instead of water
for a high rising crust.

2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup light beer with no preservatives
1 envelope of granulated dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons oil

When dough has been mixed, kneaded and risen in the bread machine,
divide in two and stretch into two pizzas.

Heat the oven to 475 F.

Homecanned sauce.
Toppings include fresh mushrooms, pepparoni, ham, onions, green peppers,
olives, and motzarella cheese.
Distribute toppings as to who wants what on their piece.

Bake for about 10 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven or on a pizza
stone.
Feeds 5 with a bit left
over.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=szaaoj

--

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > writes:

>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>back on track. Mine's coming right up!

I am still trying to come up with three for the recipe book. Have one
but haven't decided on the other two yet. When I get back from picking
up my Extremely Old Cat (tm) from the vet I'll post the one I've
definitely decided on.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > writes:

>Bran Muffins

Ha. Okay, you win at life, this was the perfect recipe for this
thread.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
> people?

RAMEN PIZZA
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=209544

2 pkt Beef Flavor Top Ramen
Salt to taste
3 cups water
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 jar spaghetti sauce (15 1/2 oz.)
3 tbl Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
8oz mozzarella cheese, grated
1 pizza pan
aluminum foil

Cover pizza pan with aluminum foil. Build up foil edges to form about
1/2"
tall rim around the pan. Lightly grease the aluminum surface. Cook both
packages of Top Ramen noodles in water with pinch of salt. Do not use
flavor packets. Drain noodles and set aside. Brown beef, onions and
mushrooms together. Drain excess fat. Stir both flavor packets into
meat mixture. Set aside. Beat together egg, milk and parmesan cheese.
Stir this mixture into Top Ramen noodles. Evenly spread noodle/egg
mixture onto pizza pan. Pour spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle
meat mixture over sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 20
minutes or until golden , bubbly brown. Let stand 5 minutes before
slicing.

8~}

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was the Worst Recipe Contest. ;-)

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> >
> > > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> > >
> > > Peace,
> > > Carol

> > All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
> > people?
> >

> RAMEN PIZZA
> http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=209544
>
> 2 pkt Beef Flavor Top Ramen
> Salt to taste
> 3 cups water
> 1/2 lb ground beef
> 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
> 1 jar spaghetti sauce (15 1/2 oz.)
> 3 tbl Parmesan cheese
> 1/2 cup onion, chopped
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1 egg
> 8oz mozzarella cheese, grated
> 1 pizza pan
> aluminum foil
>
> Cover pizza pan with aluminum foil. Build up foil edges to form about
> 1/2"
> tall rim around the pan. Lightly grease the aluminum surface. Cook both
> packages of Top Ramen noodles in water with pinch of salt. Do not use
> flavor packets. Drain noodles and set aside. Brown beef, onions and
> mushrooms together. Drain excess fat. Stir both flavor packets into
> meat mixture. Set aside. Beat together egg, milk and parmesan cheese.
> Stir this mixture into Top Ramen noodles. Evenly spread noodle/egg
> mixture onto pizza pan. Pour spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle
> meat mixture over sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 20
> minutes or until golden , bubbly brown. Let stand 5 minutes before
> slicing.
>

> 8~}
>
> Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was the Worst Recipe Contest. ;-)
>
> -Rusty

This one would fit that category. Yikes!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The recipes on this thread so far are terrific! I've copied down
almost all of them, except blintzes, which I don't like. I'm sure that
makes me a Communist or something.
Finally, here's one of my recipes:

Baked Peppers and Tomatoes
from "The Tomato Cookbook" by Christine France
slightly modified by yours truly

2 red bell peppers
2 yellow bell peppers
1 sliced red onion
5 garlic cloves, halved
6 plum tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1 t soft light brown sugar
3 T sherry
3-4 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 T olive oil
salt and ground black pepper

Cut peppers in half, remove cores and seeds, then slice into strips.

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Place peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes,
and olives in large roasting pan. Sprinkle the sugar over the veggies.
Sprinkle with the sherry. Season well with salt and pepper, then cover
with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, remove foil, stir veggies and olives well, and add the
rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil, cover, and return pan to over for 30
more minutes. Serve hot with warm crusty bread to sop up the juices.

Stacia's notes: This stuff is freakin' awesome. I added more garlic to
the recipe so modify as you want. It makes a ton so you might want to
halve it for a side dish, but it is hearty enough for a main course,
possibly served with some light soup, crusty bread, and red wine.

Also, I recommend the Tomato Cookbook, which I found on sale at
Waldenbooks a few years ago. It's in European measurements but has
American conversions. The series has all sorts of cookbooks, such as
Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Onion, Cheese, etc.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> No recipe software to import, and my fingers are tired. But I'll dig
> around and post something later today.

OK. Fingers are well rested. This is a nice light spring supper. Serve
it with fruit salad.

VEGGIES IN A SHELL

Crust:
1 T butter
2 eggs
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c half and half (I use fat-free)

Veggie Topping:
2 T butter or olive oil
1 pound sliced mushrooms (I use half white, half crimini)
1/2 pound sliced carrots
1/2 c sliced pitted black olives
1 t (dry) dill
1/4 pound grated Gouda or Edam cheese

1. Heat cast iron 9" skillet in 450 degree (preheated) oven until very
hot.

2. Place 1 T butter in skillet and swirl to melt & coat skillet.

3. Whisk together eggs, flour, half and half. Pour into skillet and
swirl to coat the sides.

4. Bake on lowest shelf of oven for 10 minutes.

5. Lower oven to 350. Bake an additional 8 - 10 minutes, until golden.

6. While crust is baking, melt remaining butter or oil in a skillet.
Saute vegetables and dill, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until veggies
are soft but carrots remain a tiny bit crisp.

7. Add cooked veggies into shell. Top with grated cheese. Run under
broiler for 2 minuets to melt the cheese. (I often skip the step
because the heat of the pan combined with the warm veggies is enough to
melt it!)

8. Cut into wedges.

Serves 4 - 6.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>

>>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>>back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>>
>>Peace,
>>Carol

> All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
> people?

Pic has been posted along with a description of how it was made. Figure
it out yourself. I can give you a list of ingredients I use as that
isn't copyright protected

I use a pizza dough that requires beer. After much tinkering, I have
found one or two beers that give superiour results. I've tinkered with
that recipe so much it no longer even resembles the original recipe but
persistence has paid off. The crust is truly awesome! Nice flavour and
texture have been my reward. It is suitable for either deep dish as per
the pic I originally posted or divided it makes 2 thin crust pizzas. I
use that specific dough for a couple of other things as well. It is
always made and proofed in the breadmaker. It is always baked in one
form or another in the oven never the breadmaker.

--
Theft of someone's intellectual property including digital images is
copyright infringement contrary to DMCA of 1998. There is a two faced
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:50:20 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:32:11 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:
>>
>>>http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg
>>>
>>>Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

>>Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
>>presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! <G>

>Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
>tragic. There should be a telethon!!
>
>serene, aghast

I've lead a very sheltered life. Let me know when you get this
telethon thing up and running.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:03:43 +0200, jake >
wrote:

>> Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
>> tragic. There should be a telethon!!
>>
>> serene, aghast

>Hey, that was my first time, too!

Blintz virgins, unite!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:03:43 +0200, jake >
> wrote:
>
> >> Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
> >> tragic. There should be a telethon!!
> >>
> >> serene, aghast

> >Hey, that was my first time, too!

> Blintz virgins, unite!

LOL thinking of the old Fly United Tshirts :-)

I have never had a blintz, never seen a live blintz, but would love to
try one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> >
> > > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> > >
> > > Peace,
> > > Carol

> > All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
> > people?
> >

> RAMEN PIZZA
> http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=209544
>
> 2 pkt Beef Flavor Top Ramen
> Salt to taste
> 3 cups water
> 1/2 lb ground beef
> 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
> 1 jar spaghetti sauce (15 1/2 oz.)
> 3 tbl Parmesan cheese
> 1/2 cup onion, chopped
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1 egg
> 8oz mozzarella cheese, grated
> 1 pizza pan
> aluminum foil
>
> Cover pizza pan with aluminum foil. Build up foil edges to form about
> 1/2"
> tall rim around the pan. Lightly grease the aluminum surface. Cook both
> packages of Top Ramen noodles in water with pinch of salt. Do not use
> flavor packets. Drain noodles and set aside. Brown beef, onions and
> mushrooms together. Drain excess fat. Stir both flavor packets into
> meat mixture. Set aside. Beat together egg, milk and parmesan cheese.
> Stir this mixture into Top Ramen noodles. Evenly spread noodle/egg
> mixture onto pizza pan. Pour spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle
> meat mixture over sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 20
> minutes or until golden , bubbly brown. Let stand 5 minutes before
> slicing.
>

> 8~}
>
> Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was the Worst Recipe Contest. ;-)
>
> -Rusty

<snork> That actually sounded interesting as a creative White Trash
recipe...... ;-D
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:00:37 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track.

>It's almost impossible to ignore a challenge, Carol, so here is a
>recipe that I tried and really liked, I made them smaller and served
>them as appetizers with a nice selection of wines. ) And booze,
>for the ones who wanted something stronger.
>

>The Honorable Barbara A. Mikulski
>
> United States Senator, Maryland
>
> Specialty Recipe
>
> Barbara's Favorite Crab Cake Recipe

Could these be made without the Old Bay seasoning, Margaret? I hate
that stuff. I wish I could remember Pastorio's spelling of
despicable. LOL!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 04 Apr 2006 09:24:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
> Suran?
>

>>sarah bennett wrote:

>>>the sour cream was not on the plate yet
>>>

>>Forget about someone trying to steal your blintzes picture, I have
>>been going after the blintzes themselves all morning. I MUST find a
>>way to pry them off the screen. )
>>

> If no one is looking, just eat them directly from the screen, but be
> careful about smearing sour cream on them. You don't want a short circuit.
> I won't tell!

Wayne, What a stupid idea. I will have to sue you for a new laptop.
I have now a screen with a large hole and lots of toothmarks. (
It is difficult to get the shards out from between my teeth!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Apr 2006 06:56:44 -0700, "Rusty" > wrote:

>Enchiladas Blancas

Here's something that BOTH Crash and I will eat. I have a lot of
problems feeding that boy. Sounds good.

Thanks,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:03:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=syvv9u

This looks great, and I don't even like mushrooms!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:05:23 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>>I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>>to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>>back on track. Mine's coming right up!

>I didn't post to that thread - not even once - and I won't do it again.
>No, seriously...

You know what I like best about you, Bob? Your sincerity. <G>

Admiringly,
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:39:09 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > You had them as the main dish and not dessert? LOL I should try that
> > sometime. Blitze and salad.

> and potato kugel!

Is that what that was? How dumb of me... I thought they were those
frozen hash brown thingies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:08:53 -0400, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" issued a da
>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>> Peace,
>> Carol

>If I didn't participate, but followed The Threads faithfully, may I still
>contribute?

The Cabal (TINC) will have to vote on this.

>HELEN'S SPRING DIP
>Helen was my husband's mother, and a finer MIL never lived.
>
>1 cup sour cream
>1/2 cup mayonnaise
>1 tablespoon superfine sugar
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>1/8 teaspoon pepper
>1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
>1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
>1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
>1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
>1 clove minced garlic
>
>This is a really refreshing, spring-like dip for chips or whatever. It's
>crucial that the veggies be hand-chopped into tiny pieces so you get a
>little of everything in each scoop.
>
>Sorry I don't have a photo.

Sorry, no recipes accepted without a photo. The Cabal (TINC) will
consider your submission when all posting requirements have been met.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Apr 2006 11:17:04 -0700, "Rusty" > wrote:

>Enjoy!
>
>http://images.google.com/images?q=bl...=Search+Images

These are very nice, too:
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...za&btnG=Search

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Simple, quick and delicious chicken:

Take the chicken pieces you like and either marinate them or simply
sprinkle with S & P and dot with butter or margerine. Put in baking
pan, skin side up. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Leave chicken in for
15 minutes and turn the oven off....DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR. Leave in
another 20 minutes.
The skin will be nice and crisp and the chicken very juicy. This
recipe is real comfort food. I love it with asparagus and white and
wild rice.
Enjoy!
Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:02:55 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>>
>> Peace,
>> Carol

>All these recipes, and not *one* for pizza! What's wrong with you
>people?
>
>Not Peace,
>Dan

I posted my crust, sauce, and sausage recipes somewhere else. Google.
I'm too tired from reading all these posts! LOL!

Piece of pizza,
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
>> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
>> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>>
>> Peace,
>> Carol

This is a recipe from my maternal grandmother. My mother used to make
it on special occasions, such as for holidays, etc. I have no idea as
to why it is termed 'Jewish'.

Jewish Coffee Cake
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
2/3 yeast cake
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup milk -- warm
1 egg -- beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
3/4 pound butter -- softened
1/2 cup seedless raisins
Dressing
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup water
Dissolve yeast cake in water with 1 tbsp sugar. Add the milk, beaten
egg, salt
and sugar. Add enough flour to make a soft sponge. Let rise to double
bulk.
Add softened butter, and then rest of flour. Add raisins; can add
more. Let
rise until light. Bake for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
Cool cake slightly; then pour over dressing, also cooled slightly.
Dressing: Cook ingredients to soft ball stage.
Serve cake warm.
Source:
"Maternal grandmother"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:06:33 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:

> >> How about a recipe for disaster?

> ><shmacks Wertz upside the head>
> >
> >We had enough of that yesterday with the storms and tornadoes... :-(
> >Lots of people killed.

> There were? It was sunny and warm here.
>
> >That make you happy dear?

> People die every day. It only makes me happy if they were bad
> people.

Please listen to the radio...
TV is useless.

The storms were pretty bad outside of our area.
Bad tornadoes. Not in season.

Methinks global warming is catching up with us, and I, for one, am glad
to live in the HC West of IH-35. ;-)

Hope you can say the same?

> <smacks Om upside the head>

Ooh baby! <smirk>

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I've never seen a blintz before.

Eh? You've never see a crêpe, a simple thin pancake often rolled or
formed into an envelope-like shape around some kind of filling ? I'm
flabbergasted!

Bubba
who is planning to make some meat-filled blinchiki (same thing) tomorrow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:03:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=syvv9u

> This looks great, and I don't even like mushrooms!
>
> Carol

Why thank you! :-)

It was simple enough.
IMHO sometimes steamed veggies can stand on their own for flavor, but
chicken breast nearly always needs help. <lol>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> > to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> > back on track. Mine's coming right up!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

> Hey really a recipe as such but an idea for the summer:
>
> Mixed Fruit Watermelon Pot
>
> Choose whole watermelon (seedless variety, and ripened ones - usually
> contrast in the bottom pale colour and the dark green colour, and when
> hit it will have vibrations and heavy in weight)
>
> Cut out top of watermelon usually with zig zag strokes (this becomes
> the lid). Hollow out the watermelon by scooping small balls of
> watermelon flesh into small balls - put those into a very large bowl.
> (it's best to use a small scoop - it's like a mini version of ice cream
> scoop)
>
> Add any variety of melon into the mix e.g. honey melons, also in small
> balls etc. And add any variety of friut you like into the mix. Then
> put all the mixed fruit back into the watermelon pot and cover with
> lid.
>
> Chill to eat.

I hope this isn't a picture of the dish. Does this food taste funny?

http://www.vrag.ru/images/news_pic/funny_food.jpg

-Rusty