Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to do with London Broil?

I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

PickyPuzzles

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:

> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?
>
> PickyPuzzles

Broil? Look for steak recipes where you start it in a hot pan on the
stove and finish in the oven.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

Do you own a meat grinder, would make a lovely meat loaf.
You can also turn it into 3/8" dice for vegetable beef soup or
a great mushroom beef barley. Of course you can always
simply whack it into three 1 lb sections, marinate, and pan fry.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

PickyJaz wrote:
> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

London Broil was originally a recipe, or set of recipes, not a cut of
meat. Nowadays you see packages with that label at many meat counters.
I suppose that's a case of giving the customers what they think they
want. At any rate, I think it's usually top round, a relatively lean
and relatively tough cut. What to do with it depends somewhat on how
thick it is.

If it's no more than 1.5 inches thick you can marinate it in something
with a bit of tenderizing action, then broil it to medium rare, then
slice it thinly to serve.

If it's thicker than that someone else will have to offer a suggestion.
Maybe marinate it for a long time and then dry roast it, I dunno.....
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've
> looked online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or
> grill it. There's only myself to feed here, so preparation
> suggestions, please?
>
> PickyPuzzles

Technically, there is no such cut of meat as "London broil". London broil
is a recipe. You are probably looking at a 3 lb. sirloin steak. Marinate
it then broil or grill it. It won't be very tender without the marindade,
which is part and partial to a good London broil anyway I suggest oil,
red wine vinegar, onion, lots of garlic.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?
>
> PickyPuzzles

Do you have a broiler? Here's a recipe I've used for years. Sounds like
you need to cut the meat in thirds (for one hungry person) or invite
company.

Chris in Pearland, TX

* Exported from MasterCook II *

London Broil

Recipe By : Betty Crocker
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Beef Broil Or Barbeque
Meat

1 pound flank steak -- high quality
2 medium onions -- thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cut both sides of beef steak into diamond pattern 1/8 inch deep. Cook and
stir onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt until onions are tender; keep warm. Mix
remaining ingredients; brush half of the mixture on beef.

Set oven control to broil and/or 550 degrees. Broil beef with top 2 to 3
inches from heat until brown, about 5 minutes. Turn beef; brush with
remaining oil mixture and broil 5 minutes longer.

Cut beef across grain at slanted angle into thin slices; serve with onions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Add a salad and a crusty loaf of Sourdough Bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

Beef jerky! Stick the meat in the freezer until it gets frosty (makes
it easier to slice). Then slice it thin, marinate briefly in teriyaki
sauce then place on racks and dry in a barely warm oven.

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Apr 2006 17:17:26 -0700, "PickyJaz" > rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

>I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
>recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
>online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

There's no such thing as a "London broil,' AFAICS, although plenty of
markets call lean, tough cuts of meat, such as flank steak, shoulder,
and round "London broil." A down and dirty recipe for any of these
tough cuts is to marinate it in a store bought Italian dressing, then
grill it, basting as it finishes.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

Cook's Illustrated, which arrived in the past few days, did an
extensive study of London Broil.

They said the marinade can be anything, but the cooking method is
crucial.

First, bring the meat to room temperature in a bag in a room-temp water
bath (works about ten times faster than just leaving it on the
counter).

Then cook it on the hot side of a two-level grill (just a grill with
most of the coals on one side), flipping it once per minute for four
minutes.

Then finish on the warm side until pink in the center.

According to their calculations, this produces a sear without producing
a large layer of well-done.

Then slice it ultra-thin, holding the blade of your slicer vertical but
cutting diagonal across the meat (i.e., from lower-right to upper-left
corner of your cutting board). I have no idea why the diagonal is
needed, and I've always thought using a bias plane rather than a
vertical one was important..but hey...he's Chris Kimball, and he's done
this a hundred times before writing the article (yeah right).

But the slices really were thin. Like roast beef. And pink inside
with a pretty sear outside. Looked tasty.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Do you own a meat grinder, would make a lovely meat loaf.
> You can also turn it into 3/8" dice for vegetable beef soup or
> a great mushroom beef barley. Of course you can always
> simply whack it into three 1 lb sections, marinate, and pan fry.

The words "whack" and "Sheldon" have a certain, I
dunno...soprano...tone to them...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote:

> Cook's Illustrated, which arrived in the past few days, did an
> extensive study of London Broil.
>
> They said the marinade can be anything, but the cooking method is
> crucial.
>
> First, bring the meat to room temperature in a bag in a room-temp water
> bath (works about ten times faster than just leaving it on the
> counter).
>
> Then cook it on the hot side of a two-level grill (just a grill with
> most of the coals on one side), flipping it once per minute for four
> minutes.
>
> Then finish on the warm side until pink in the center.
>
> According to their calculations, this produces a sear without producing
> a large layer of well-done.
>
> Then slice it ultra-thin, holding the blade of your slicer vertical but
> cutting diagonal across the meat (i.e., from lower-right to upper-left
> corner of your cutting board). I have no idea why the diagonal is
> needed, and I've always thought using a bias plane rather than a
> vertical one was important..but hey...he's Chris Kimball, and he's done
> this a hundred times before writing the article (yeah right).
>
> But the slices really were thin. Like roast beef. And pink inside
> with a pretty sear outside. Looked tasty.

As others have posted, "London Broil" used to be flank steak. Now it is
often round steak, and rarely, sirloin. The grain on flank steak runs
parallel to the cutting board, and so should be cut like Chris says.
The grain in other steaks runs perpendicular to the cutting board, and
so should be cut as you said.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vanguard" > wrote

> The fancy name belies the quality of the cut. A non-description "london
> broil" sounds better and sells more than if it were labelled "flank
> steak". When users decided they didn't want MSG in their food or had a
> preference that it wasn't there, the commercial producers then gave it
> something like 28 names so they could hide that it was being used because
> no consumer would know or remember all those names. Flank steak doesn't
> have the appeal to the casual shopper as does london broil.

Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
that. Most definitely not flank steak.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "Vanguard" > wrote
>
>> The fancy name belies the quality of the cut. A non-description
>> "london broil" sounds better and sells more than if it were labelled
>> "flank steak". When users decided they didn't want MSG in their food
>> or had a preference that it wasn't there, the commercial producers
>> then gave it something like 28 names so they could hide that it was
>> being used because no consumer would know or remember all those
>> names. Flank steak doesn't have the appeal to the casual shopper as
>> does london broil.

> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
> that. Most definitely not flank steak.
>
> nancy

In my old Gourmet cookbook volumes, london broil called for flank steak
and a simple homemakde French dressing marinade, the likes of which
doesn't represent today's French dressing one bit. One trick the recipe
imparted was to lightly score around the edges of the steak to reduce
curling while on the bbq or under the broiler to medium-rare, resting
then slicing as thin as possible at about 45 degrees.

Top-round is usually stamped London Broil here too. To which I diamond
scrore on both sides, soak it for two days in Stubbs beef marinade
turning daily and bbq-ing or broiling to medium-rare. Resting and slicing
same as flank.

Imho,

Andy
Plus mashed or baked potatoes and asparagus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
>> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
>> that. Most definitely not flank steak.

> In my old Gourmet cookbook volumes, london broil called for flank steak
> and a simple homemakde French dressing marinade, the likes of which
> doesn't represent today's French dressing one bit. One trick the recipe
> imparted was to lightly score around the edges of the steak to reduce
> curling while on the bbq or under the broiler to medium-rare, resting
> then slicing as thin as possible at about 45 degrees.

I do love flank steak, I have a recipe for a marinade in the rfc
cookbook that's how much I love it. Haven't had that in forever.

> Top-round is usually stamped London Broil here too. To which I diamond
> scrore on both sides, soak it for two days in Stubbs beef marinade
> turning daily and bbq-ing or broiling to medium-rare. Resting and slicing
> same as flank.

Thank you for the idea, I cannot recall the last time I made london
broil (not the flank steak london broil) ... I will be making that this
summer, I will look for the marinade just to try it. My ex used to
marinate it in italian dressing, I liked that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
>>> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
>>> that. Most definitely not flank steak.

>> In my old Gourmet cookbook volumes, london broil called for flank
>> steak and a simple homemakde French dressing marinade, the likes of
>> which doesn't represent today's French dressing one bit. One trick
>> the recipe imparted was to lightly score around the edges of the
>> steak to reduce curling while on the bbq or under the broiler to
>> medium-rare, resting then slicing as thin as possible at about 45
>> degrees.

> I do love flank steak, I have a recipe for a marinade in the rfc
> cookbook that's how much I love it. Haven't had that in forever.
>
>> Top-round is usually stamped London Broil here too. To which I
>> diamond scrore on both sides, soak it for two days in Stubbs beef
>> marinade turning daily and bbq-ing or broiling to medium-rare.
>> Resting and slicing same as flank.

> Thank you for the idea, I cannot recall the last time I made london
> broil (not the flank steak london broil) ... I will be making that
> this summer, I will look for the marinade just to try it. My ex used
> to marinate it in italian dressing, I liked that.
>
> nancy

Last year I actually jumped ship from flank and top-round to skirt steak
once I found a steady supply. More flavorful than flank (cut from the
same area of the cow) It's better known for fajitas but it's steak in my
book.

Andy
Sadly beef-free since Feb. 2006 when my bloodwork numbers rolled in.
*sigh*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

London Broil is flank steak. If you get outside round or some such
truck and they label it as london broil then like don't prepare it as
you would a flank steak. London broil is flank steak 'broiled' to
about a medium rare; when serving slice across the grain in order to
have it as tender as possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jimmy" > wrote in
ups.com:

> London Broil is flank steak. If you get outside round or some such
> truck and they label it as london broil then like don't prepare it as
> you would a flank steak. London broil is flank steak 'broiled' to
> about a medium rare; when serving slice across the grain in order to
> have it as tender as possible.

Jimmy,

I "think" we're in agreement here! The london broil that IS flank steak
being a thin and sinewy cut of meat requires extra prep and care to cook
to the right doneness, while the "labeled" london broil top round being
anywhere from 1" to 2" thick give you far more steak for the money and
serves more dinner guests. Around these parts (Pennsylvania) anyway.

In my youth flank steak was considered a cheap cut of meat. Not anymore!
As a kid, I recall cutting my slices of flank steak into smaller bits and
stirring them into the mashed potatoes, so I got steak and potatoes in
every bite.

Imagine that, a five-year-old efficiency expert?

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Vanguard" > wrote
>
>> The fancy name belies the quality of the cut. A non-description
>> "london broil" sounds better and sells more than if it were labelled
>> "flank steak". When users decided they didn't want MSG in their food
>> or had a preference that it wasn't there, the commercial producers
>> then gave it something like 28 names so they could hide that it was
>> being used because no consumer would know or remember all those
>> names. Flank steak doesn't have the appeal to the casual shopper as
>> does london broil.

> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
> that. Most definitely not flank steak.

What is so great about top round ("round" is from the butt)? That's not
the same as top sirloin. See http://new.cbbqa.com/meat/beef/Steak.html.
Also see the description of flank in that article. Better pictures and
diagrams are at http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100pc.pdf.

Then that is the choice of the butcher that you frequent. Since it
obvious doesn't actually refer to a cut of meat, it's a fancy name
slapped onto whatever the store wants to sell. The store is lying to
you as to exactly WHAT cut of meat you are getting when they stamp it
"London Broil" since you don't know what you're getting. It's
misrepresentation since obviously they aren't affixing a London Broil
*recipe* on how to cook their mystery meat.

"The cut of meat traditionally used is flank steak."
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Broil)

"A large steak generally grilled or broiled and cut out of the rib cap,
flank, or chuck of beef."
(http://www.newitalianrecipes.com/cooking-terms.html)

"The recipe first appeared in print in the U.S. in the early 1930's, and
consisted of marinated flank steak, broiled or grilled and sliced thinly
across the grain." (www.campcuisine.com/glossary/index.php)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vanguard" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "Vanguard" > wrote

>>> names. Flank steak doesn't have the appeal to the casual shopper as
>>> does london broil.

>> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
>> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
>> that. Most definitely not flank steak.

> What is so great about top round ("round" is from the butt)?

I didn't say anything was so great about it. It's just what is sold
as London Broil when it's at the store. Any store I've been to in
many years.

> That's not the same as top sirloin. See
> http://new.cbbqa.com/meat/beef/Steak.html. Also see the description of
> flank in that article. Better pictures and diagrams are at
> http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100pc.pdf.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I know what flank
steak is.

> Then that is the choice of the butcher that you frequent. Since it
> obvious doesn't actually refer to a cut of meat, it's a fancy name slapped
> onto whatever the store wants to sell.

It's always the same thing, here. Same cut of meat.

> The store is lying to you as to exactly WHAT cut of meat you are getting
> when they stamp it "London Broil" since you don't know what you're
> getting.

They say top round for London Broil. I would recognise
the cut even if it didn't say london broil. It's the same all the
time.

Whether london broil is a method of cooking it, or a
specific cut of meat, that's apparently up for debate. But
you said flank steak doesn't sell because it doesn't appeal,
and flank steak, labeled as such, sells very well. As does
top round labeled as london broil.

I think I am not understanding what you are trying to say.
Perhaps things are different where you live. Flank steak is
sold as flank steak.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "PickyJaz" > said:

> I have no idea why there is a near to 3 lb. London Broil (dated
> recently) in my freezer, as I've never "owned" one before. I've looked
> online for cooking suggestion, but have no way to barbeque or grill it.
> There's only myself to feed here, so preparation suggestions, please?

London Broil

2-3 pounds Chataubriand or round steak
Sliced onion
1 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. garlic, crushed or minced
2 T. olive oil
½ tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Sauté onion in oil, lemon juice, spices, and garlic. Keep warm.
Drizzle some of the liquid over steak and broil for 5-10 minutes.
Turn meat; add more liquid and broil additional 5-10 minutes. Add
onion and continue broiling until onion is browned. Let rest for
10 minutes, serve thinly sliced.

DH usually handles the actually broiling part, so your times
may vary. Just keep an eye on it...

--
jj - rfc (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:30:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Last year I actually jumped ship from flank and top-round to skirt steak
>once I found a steady supply. More flavorful than flank (cut from the
>same area of the cow) It's better known for fajitas but it's steak in my
>book.

We bought some skirt steak awhile back (can't find flank steak very
often). It was like chewing on a tire. How do you prepare yours? The
prep for fajitas would be good, because we love those. We just need
to be able to chew them.

Thankee,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> We bought some skirt steak awhile back (can't find flank steak very
> often). It was like chewing on a tire. How do you prepare yours? The
> prep for fajitas would be good, because we love those. We just need
> to be able to chew them.

The marinade helps to soften the meat, and then cutting the meat against the
grain and into very thin slices solves part of the rest of the problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:53:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> We bought some skirt steak awhile back (can't find flank steak very
>> often). It was like chewing on a tire. How do you prepare yours? The
>> prep for fajitas would be good, because we love those. We just need
>> to be able to chew them.

>The marinade helps to soften the meat, and then cutting the meat against the
>grain and into very thin slices solves part of the rest of the problem.

Sounds like I just didn't marinate it long enough. Will keep trying.
We have four pieces of the stuff in the freezer.

Thanks,
Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 08:15:58 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
> that. Most definitely not flank steak.

I agree... it's definitely not flank, most likely some sort of round.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 08:15:58 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
>> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
>> that. Most definitely not flank steak.
>>

> I agree... it's definitely not flank, most likely some sort of round.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure top round. I should have picked one up
today, 50% off thise week. Just need to make or buy a marinade
for it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vanguard wrote:
> Then that is the choice of the butcher that you frequent. Since it
> obvious doesn't actually refer to a cut of meat, it's a fancy name
> slapped onto whatever the store wants to sell. The store is lying to
> you as to exactly WHAT cut of meat you are getting when they stamp it
> "London Broil" since you don't know what you're getting. It's
> misrepresentation since obviously they aren't affixing a London Broil
> *recipe* on how to cook their mystery meat.

It's not that nefarious. They're just saying that London Broil is the
suggested means of utilizing what's in the package. Same as "stew
meat" or "beef fajitas".

If they don't also tell you what part of the cow it's from, you're free
to ask.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> Damsel in dis Dress > hitched up their
> panties and posted :
>
>> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:30:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>>>Last year I actually jumped ship from flank and top-round to skirt
>>>steak once I found a steady supply. More flavorful than flank (cut
>>>from the same area of the cow) It's better known for fajitas but it's
>>>steak in my book.

>> We bought some skirt steak awhile back (can't find flank steak very
>> often). It was like chewing on a tire. How do you prepare yours?
>> The prep for fajitas would be good, because we love those. We just
>> need to be able to chew them.
>>
>> Thankee,
>> Carol
>>

> Dammit. Now you've done. Skirt steak will now jump in price like
> flank, tuna, sword and chuck steak did. Once it becomes popular the
> prices jump. So shhhhhhh... Don't tell anyone else
>
> Michael

Carol,

Before you go thwacking things at me again, Carve across the grain. On a
flank that's the width, on a skirt, it's the length. Cut the length in a
few pieces to make carving it manageable.

As well when I got it from the butcher, he would do a great job of
carving off the grizzle and the fat.

Heck, even my Acme carries skirt steaks now at about $5.00/lb.

Andy
Deprived of beef

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> Damsel in dis Dress > hitched up their
> panties and posted :
>
> > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:30:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >>Last year I actually jumped ship from flank and top-round to skirt steak
> >>once I found a steady supply. More flavorful than flank (cut from the
> >>same area of the cow) It's better known for fajitas but it's steak in my
> >>book.

> > We bought some skirt steak awhile back (can't find flank steak very
> > often). It was like chewing on a tire. How do you prepare yours? The
> > prep for fajitas would be good, because we love those. We just need
> > to be able to chew them.
> >
> > Thankee,
> > Carol
> >

> Dammit. Now you've done. Skirt steak will now jump in price like flank,
> tuna, sword and chuck steak did. Once it becomes popular the prices jump.
> So shhhhhhh... Don't tell anyone else
>
> Michael

Unfortunately the price of skirt steak in the Houston area (and probably
elsewhere)has already jumped because of the popularity of fajitas. Allegedly
and most agree that they were invented by the late Ninfa Lorenzo.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in
:

> Unfortunately the price of skirt steak in the Houston area (and
> probably elsewhere)has already jumped because of the popularity of
> fajitas. Allegedly and most agree that they were invented by the late
> Ninfa Lorenzo.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Chris,

My compliments to the late Ninfa Lorenzo! [R.I.P.]

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message > > Unfortunately the price of skirt steak in
the Houston area (and
> > probably elsewhere)has already jumped because of the popularity of
> > fajitas. Allegedly and most agree that they were invented by the late
> > Ninfa Lorenzo.
> >
> > Chris in Pearland, TX

> Chris,
>
> My compliments to the late Ninfa Lorenzo! [R.I.P.]
>
> Andy

And a lovely lady she was... my husband and myself had the privilege of
meeting her. When she was in her heyday in Houston she kept a sharp eye on
all her restaurants. We happened to be in one of them when she was there.
Husband asked her for an autograph and she was very gracious. Her sons are
still in the restaurant business here.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vanguard wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Vanguard" > wrote
> >
> >> The fancy name belies the quality of the cut. A non-description
> >> "london broil" sounds better and sells more than if it were labelled
> >> "flank steak". When users decided they didn't want MSG in their food
> >> or had a preference that it wasn't there, the commercial producers
> >> then gave it something like 28 names so they could hide that it was
> >> being used because no consumer would know or remember all those
> >> names. Flank steak doesn't have the appeal to the casual shopper as
> >> does london broil.

> > Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
> > around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
> > that. Most definitely not flank steak.

> What is so great about top round ("round" is from the butt)? That's not
> the same as top sirloin. See http://new.cbbqa.com/meat/beef/Steak.html.
> Also see the description of flank in that article. Better pictures and
> diagrams are at http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100pc.pdf.
>
> Then that is the choice of the butcher that you frequent. Since it
> obvious doesn't actually refer to a cut of meat, it's a fancy name
> slapped onto whatever the store wants to sell. The store is lying to
> you as to exactly WHAT cut of meat you are getting when they stamp it
> "London Broil" since you don't know what you're getting. It's
> misrepresentation since obviously they aren't affixing a London Broil
> *recipe* on how to cook their mystery meat.
>
> "The cut of meat traditionally used is flank steak."
> (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Broil)
>
> "A large steak generally grilled or broiled and cut out of the rib cap,
> flank, or chuck of beef."
> (http://www.newitalianrecipes.com/cooking-terms.html)
>
> "The recipe first appeared in print in the U.S. in the early 1930's, and
> consisted of marinated flank steak, broiled or grilled and sliced thinly
> across the grain." (www.campcuisine.com/glossary/index.php)

In St. Louis, MO, London Broil always refers to thick cut top round,
and flank steak is always too expensive.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Salutations, gentlefolk,

Yours truly checked his freezer, where package said "Top Round Beef /
London Broil". 'Twas on sale last week at the _Pathmark_ supermarkets
around Philadelphia for 1.88 USD per pound, and this hunkameat weighed
1.84 lbs.

Anyway, soon I'll prepare 'Bachelor's London Broil'. Here be the
recipe:

1 - Take pots, pans, other stuff out of oven

2 - Tear off piece of foil big enuf to fit under meat twice, fold in
half, bend up edges to catch juices. Put in bottom of broiler pan,
top with meat.

3 - Turn oven to 'Broil'. Check to see gas is lit. Wait five minutes
or so.

4 - When top of meat looks cooked, turn it over, put back under
broiler for another five minutes.

5 - Slice thin, across the grain, at about a 45-degree angle to the
vertical. Serve with pickles / soy sauce / Sauce Bearnaise / catsup /
onions, raw or fried / whatever else you have on hand / that jar of
fancy gourmet sauce your cousin got you for Christmas ...

6 - Store uncovered in refrigerator. Good cold meat for sandwiches
and salads in next couple of days, then home-made beef jerky, and the
little bit left that's too tough to chew gets tossed into the rice
cooker.

Yours, John Desmond