FoodBanter.com

-   -   newbie (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/87577-newbie.html)

craftydragon1951 02-04-2006 06:23 PM

newbie

I'm new to this group. I like to experiment with recipes and don't
like to measure. G

I was in the recipes group but they are only recipes or requests for
recipes -- how boring.

Shana

Ace Berserker 02-04-2006 06:34 PM

newbie

Well, you won't be bored here!

Do yourself a favor - if you're using a newsreader, filter "chung".
Don't say you weren't 'advised'.

limey 02-04-2006 07:24 PM

newbie

"craftydragon1951" wrote in message

I'm new to this group. I like to experiment with recipes and don't
like to measure. G

I was in the recipes group but they are only recipes or requests for
recipes -- how boring.

Shana

Welcome to the group, Shana! I can assure you we're not boring - just have
a hard hat ready! G

Dora

D.Currie[_1_] 02-04-2006 08:10 PM

newbie

"craftydragon1951" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to this group. I like to experiment with recipes and don't
like to measure. G

I was in the recipes group but they are only recipes or requests for
recipes -- how boring.

Shana

I tend not to measure, either, unless it's a new recipe that I want to try,
or something where exact measurements are more important. Or I might measure
some ingredients but not others. Depends on what it is. I usually start off
breads with about a cup of water, because I know I'll end up with a loaf
that's about the right size.

And there are things that are sort of self-measuring, like eggs or garlic
cloves where you can just count them without doing a precise measurement and
it's close enough. Or when a recipe requires a can of something.

Spices, though, I tend to toss them in by taste. Which makes some sense,
considering that with spices, there can be a lot of variation in the
strength, depending on what brand, how old, etc. So unless you're recreating
your own recipe with the same spices, measuring may not give the same
results.

So...what do you like to cook?

Donna

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 02-04-2006 09:26 PM

newbie

On 2 Apr 2006 10:23:42 -0700, "craftydragon1951"
wrote:

I'm new to this group. I like to experiment with recipes and don't
like to measure. G

I was in the recipes group but they are only recipes or requests for
recipes -- how boring.

Shana

Welcome, Shana! We've got a nice assortment of improvisational cooks
and followers of recipes. I'm a little of both. I improvise until
I've got it the way I want it, then write it down. Losing those
memory molecules fast these days.

What kind of things do you enjoy cooking/baking the most?

Peace,
Carol

serene 02-04-2006 09:29 PM

newbie

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:26:41 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
wrote:

Welcome, Shana! We've got a nice assortment of improvisational cooks
and followers of recipes. I'm a little of both. I improvise until
I've got it the way I want it, then write it down. Losing those
memory molecules fast these days.

This group has actually made me more of a recipe person than I used to
be, mainly because if I get something yummy, I want to be able to
share it with the group. (I know this group is fine with
a-little-of-this-and-a-little-of-that recipes, but anyway, sometimes I
want to get it down on paper when it's something yummy.)

serene

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 02-04-2006 09:31 PM

newbie

In article ,
"limey" wrote:

"craftydragon1951" wrote in message

I'm new to this group. I like to experiment with recipes and don't
like to measure. G

I was in the recipes group but they are only recipes or requests for
recipes -- how boring.

Shana

Welcome to the group, Shana! I can assure you we're not boring - just have
a hard hat ready! G

Dora

And asbestos undies, as well as the occasional pair of hip waders... ;-D
--
Peace, Om.

serene 02-04-2006 11:43 PM

newbie

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:37:59 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:

"craftydragon1951" hitched up their panties
and posted oups.com:

I was in the recipes group but they are only recipes or requests for
recipes -- how boring.

Shana

I dont like rfr much either although I browse it sometimes.

For me, it's like a cookbook -- I skim the headers and look at the
ones that interest me. What I really like, though, is reading the
requests and seeing if I can come up with something that matches the
requestor's needs.

serene

craftydragon1951 03-04-2006 12:22 AM

newbie

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I eat a lot of chicken or turkey breast I like anything with tomatoes
(fresh/canned/sauce). And I love cheese but I have a lactose
intolerance problem, rats. I collect cookbooks from travels --
Cooking in Memphis, Denver Recipes, local church groups. (I used to
travel a lot on business.) But I rarely make something exactly like
the recipe, usually make a change or a substitute. If I'm cooking for
guests, I like one-pot type meals. I like baking cobblers or crisps
and like to try different fruits.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Shana

Nancy Young[_1_] 03-04-2006 12:27 AM

newbie

"craftydragon1951" wrote

I eat a lot of chicken or turkey breast I like anything with tomatoes
(fresh/canned/sauce). And I love cheese but I have a lactose
intolerance problem, rats. I collect cookbooks from travels --
Cooking in Memphis, Denver Recipes, local church groups. (I used to
travel a lot on business.) But I rarely make something exactly like
the recipe, usually make a change or a substitute. If I'm cooking for
guests, I like one-pot type meals. I like baking cobblers or crisps
and like to try different fruits.

Hey, Shana, sounds great, welcome to rfc. What is it
called when you make a topping using oatmeal and brown
sugar? I like that, is that a crisp? I never make desserts.

nancy

craftydragon1951 03-04-2006 12:42 AM

newbie

That is what I'd call a crisp. To me a cobbler has a pie-crust type
toping. Both go over great with guests and are simple to make. The
last time I had guests, I made one with cherry pie filling and crushed
cranberry sauce for the berry part. Served it warm with good vanilla
ice cream. I was great. The cranberries countered the too-sweetness
of the cherry pie filling. I think that because no one bakes anymore
the rare "old-fashioned" dessert goes over well.
Shana

Nancy Young[_1_] 03-04-2006 01:08 AM

newbie

"craftydragon1951" wrote

That is what I'd call a crisp. To me a cobbler has a pie-crust type
toping. Both go over great with guests and are simple to make. The
last time I had guests, I made one with cherry pie filling and crushed
cranberry sauce for the berry part.

Hmmm. I just happen to have some Award Winning Cherry
Preserves. Might make something like that this week. Thanks.

Served it warm with good vanilla
ice cream. I was great. The cranberries countered the too-sweetness
of the cherry pie filling. I think that because no one bakes anymore
the rare "old-fashioned" dessert goes over well.

Well, you know, baking has all that measuring. I leave it to
the pros. (smile)

nancy

craftydragon1951 03-04-2006 01:22 AM

newbie

I saw a suggestion to use crumbled up cookie dough as the topping but
haven't tried.

Shana

Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] 03-04-2006 04:03 AM

newbie

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:27:53 -0400, "Nancy Young"
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

Also a welcome to Shana.

Hey, Shana, sounds great, welcome to rfc. What is it
called when you make a topping using oatmeal and brown
sugar? I like that, is that a crisp? I never make desserts.

My version of a crisp looks a lot like this g:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Peach And Mixed-Berry Crisp

desserts

2 large peaches, peeled, pitted, chopped (a; bout 2 cups)
1 cups blueberries (about 6 ounces; )
1 1/3 cups raspberries (about 6 ounces)
1 1/3 cups blackberries (about 5.6 ounces)
cup sugar
2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup all purpose flour
cup (packed) light brown sugar
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
butter pecan ice cream or vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 3500F. Butter 8x8x2'/2-inch square baking dish. Toss
fruit, sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in large bowl to combine.
Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake fruit until juices bubble,
stir*ring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Bake without stirring
another 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven
tern-peratureto4000F

Meanwhile, whisk remaining cup flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and
salt in medium bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips
until small moist clumps form. Sprinkle topping evenly over hot fruit
in dish.

Bake crisp until topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool
slightly. Serve warm with ice cream.

Yield: 8 servings

Terry Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

--
"If you're going to be wrong, be wrong at the top of your lungs."
Lucy, "Peanuts"\