Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salted ANGEL'S CAKE (pics and recipe)

This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

here are some pics:
http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spi5wk.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spi634.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spi691.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spiql1.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spir12.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spirgk.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spiro4.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spirua.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spis05.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spis6o.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/spise9.jpg

*Salted Angel's cake*

Category: salted cakes
Nb persons: 8

For the FIRST DOUGH:
135 g strong flour
4 g dry yeast
100 ml water
DOUGH:
400 g strong flour
120 g milk - lukewarm
3 eggs - only yolks (plus 1 whole for final
-brushing)
3 tsp salt
120 g butter - softened
FILLING:
20 black olives - minced
6 dry tomatoes - under oil and drained
70 g cooked ham - minced

1)Make the dough with the first ingredients. Make a ball and let it sit ,
covered, for about half an hour.
2) Make the dough with the second list of ingredients plus the first dough.
Kneed till all the ingredients are perfectly mixed.
You will obtain another ball. Cover with a cloth and put in a lukewarm place
for about 2 hours.
When it's ready (it should have been risen ) put it on a rolling board and
make a rectangule of about 5-6 millimeters thick.
Put over it the ingredients of filling and then begin to roll it. You will
obtain a big salami. Cut it along the lenght in two halves and plait them.
Then make a big circle with a hole in the middle which you will put over a
baking pan covered with baking paper. Brush it with a beaten egg.
Put in hot oven (200°C) for about 35-40 minutes.

Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
Calories 384kcal
Protein 11g (22%)
Total Fat 15g (24%)
Sat. 9g (43%)
Chol. 104mg (35%)
Carb. 50g (17%)
Fiber 2g (7%)
Sugars 1g
Calcium 39mg (4%)
Iron 3mg (19%)

----------

Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

--
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:23:28 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.
>
>here are some pics:
>http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg
>

> *Salted Angel's cake*

snip for brevity

WOO-hoo! This one looks terrific, Pandie!

I will try this soon and let you know how it turns out.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:23:28 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.
>>
>>here are some pics:
>>http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg
>>

>> *Salted Angel's cake*
>>

> snip for brevity
>
> WOO-hoo! This one looks terrific, Pandie!
>
> I will try this soon and let you know how it turns out.

Yes it is very very good, thank you and it is already almost finished ! I
have forgotten to write cheese. In the filling I have put also 70-80 gr. of
toma cheese (you can put fontina or something similar).
Let me know.

--
Cheers
Pandora

> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:
> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

This looks wonderful
I think I am going to try it with spinach, chevre and artichoke hearts

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:28:51 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
>> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:23:28 +0200, "Pandora" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.
>>>
>>>here are some pics:
>>>http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg
>>>

>>> *Salted Angel's cake*
>>>

>> snip for brevity
>>
>> WOO-hoo! This one looks terrific, Pandie!
>>
>> I will try this soon and let you know how it turns out.

>Yes it is very very good, thank you and it is already almost finished ! I
>have forgotten to write cheese. In the filling I have put also 70-80 gr. of
>toma cheese (you can put fontina or something similar).
>Let me know.

Interesting that you should mention that. my husband and I were
admiring your pictures and thinking, "Gosh, those white clumps look
like cheese!"

I copied the recipe with a note to add some cheese.

Off to the market to find some supplies.

Mille grazie!

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

> This looks wonderful
> I think I am going to try it with spinach, chevre and artichoke hearts

GNAM GNAM!!!!!!!
Then tell me how it comes out. Possibly make a pic too

--
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:28:51 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

>>> snip for brevity
>>>
>>> WOO-hoo! This one looks terrific, Pandie!
>>>
>>> I will try this soon and let you know how it turns out.

>>Yes it is very very good, thank you and it is already almost finished !
>>have forgotten to write cheese. In the filling I have put also 70-80 gr.
>>of
>>toma cheese (you can put fontina or something similar).
>>Let me know.

> Interesting that you should mention that. my husband and I were
> admiring your pictures and thinking, "Gosh, those white clumps look
> like cheese!"
>
> I copied the recipe with a note to add some cheese.

Sorry! I was in the hurry and I forgot ((((

> Off to the market to find some supplies.

OK! I Am happy you enjoyed it ))

> Mille grazie!

Grazie a te !

--
Cheers
Pandora

> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:

> Yes it is very very good, thank you and it is already almost finished ! I
> have forgotten to write cheese. In the filling I have put also 70-80 gr. of
> toma cheese (you can put fontina or something similar).
> Let me know.

The dough is rising now. My daughter and I added provolone cheese to the
recipe for a bolder flavor. We're using roast pork instead of ham.

Have you ever made this to be a sweet pastry with fruit or nuts?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> Yes it is very very good, thank you and it is already almost finished
>> ! I have forgotten to write cheese. In the filling I have put also
>> 70-80 gr. of toma cheese (you can put fontina or something similar).
>> Let me know.

> The dough is rising now. My daughter and I added provolone cheese to the
> recipe for a bolder flavor. We're using roast pork instead of ham.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Bob are you already doing it? Unbelievable!!!!
It's a good idea with roast.
I must tell you that mine has risen very few before baking, but it has risen
a lot in the oven.
So don't be afraid
Let me know and post pics

> Have you ever made this to be a sweet pastry with fruit or nuts?

Original recipes was sweet. with gelée fruits and nuts . I have never made
like this , but I would like to try. Perhaps for Easter.

--
Cheers
Pandora

> Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>here are some pics:
>http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg

I think that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You are too kind, Serene! And it is very simple to do
cheers
Pandora
------------------------

"Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:23:28 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>here are some pics:
>>http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg

> I think that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
>
> serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 23:01:02 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>You are too kind, Serene! And it is very simple to do
>cheers

Okay, I'm gonna try it today. Wish me luck! I don't usually have much
luck with baking.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 23:01:02 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>You are too kind, Serene! And it is very simple to do
>>cheers

> Okay, I'm gonna try it today. Wish me luck! I don't usually have much
> luck with baking.
>
> serene

Yes I wish you a lot of lucky! Remember to put inside also 70-80 gr. of
cheese (cut in little pieces) and don't worry if it won't rise too much. it
will rise in the oven.
Let me know.
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

Took a walk to the local Italian grocery/deli and bought some of our
favorite marinated tomatoes, some dry salami (we don't like ham very
much), and some good fontina for this recipe. I'll take pictures as I
go along.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
news
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:23:28 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

> Took a walk to the local Italian grocery/deli and bought some of our
> favorite marinated tomatoes, some dry salami (we don't like ham very
> much), and some good fontina for this recipe. I'll take pictures as I
> go along.

Ok! Salami will work very good. I must try
I wait for pics .

--
Cheers
Pandora

> serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:29:47 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>Ok! Salami will work very good. I must try
>I wait for pics .

I ended up posting them in another thread, but I'm going to copy my
post here so you can see, in case you don't see the other thread:

I'm still working on the Angel's Bread. It's not as pretty as
Pandora's, but so far, so good. (My wife walked in as I started the
prep, so she took pictures -- that's why I'm in some of them. I'm
amused by how hard I'm concentrating in the first picture.)

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003es45/g5
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003fbtg/g5
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003gryh/g5
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003heh2/g5
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003k9k1/g5
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003pqz0/g5

And the finished thing:

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003q3hq/g5
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003r3ye/g5

The gang liked it. James said it tasted like a cross between pizza
and calzone to him. Carin said she thought it would be good with
pesto and artichokes. I thought it tasted like this thing my sister
used to make, called stromboli. Pandora, do you have stromboli where
you live?

Anyway, it was very fun to see something on Usenet, and decide Hey,
I'm gonna make that.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!
What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
came out well )))
I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
artichockes too !

I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake? Have
you got the recipe?
cheers and many compliments to you
have a good sunday
Pandora

"Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:29:47 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>Ok! Salami will work very good. I must try
>>I wait for pics .

> I ended up posting them in another thread, but I'm going to copy my
> post here so you can see, in case you don't see the other thread:
>
> I'm still working on the Angel's Bread. It's not as pretty as
> Pandora's, but so far, so good. (My wife walked in as I started the
> prep, so she took pictures -- that's why I'm in some of them. I'm
> amused by how hard I'm concentrating in the first picture.)
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003es45/g5
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003fbtg/g5
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003gryh/g5
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003heh2/g5
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003k9k1/g5
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003pqz0/g5
>
> And the finished thing:
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003q3hq/g5
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0003r3ye/g5
>
> The gang liked it. James said it tasted like a cross between pizza
> and calzone to him. Carin said she thought it would be good with
> pesto and artichokes. I thought it tasted like this thing my sister
> used to make, called stromboli. Pandora, do you have stromboli where
> you live?
>
> Anyway, it was very fun to see something on Usenet, and decide Hey,
> I'm gonna make that.
>
> serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Pandora > wrote:

>SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!

I agree with this post! It looks fab-yoo-lous!

(And I'll look for the marinated tomatoes next time I'm at that Italian
deli. Fabulous place.)

>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>came out well )))
>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>artichockes too !

>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake? Have
>you got the recipe?

Stromboli is a very similar principle, it is savory toppings rolled up in
yeast dough "jelly roll" (or swiss roll) style and then baked.

Here's one recipe with pictures:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...stromboli.html

Charlotte
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:25:55 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!

Thank you!

>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>came out well )))

Hee! I really don't usually have much luck with bread. My partners
were very impressed.

>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>artichockes too !
>
>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake? Have
>you got the recipe?

Here are some pics:

http://www.mvppizza.geomerx.com/inde...y&categoryID=3

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum..._stromboli.jpg

My sister used to make it by filling white bread dough with pepperoni
and cheese, and forming it into a shape like a "C".

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >, Pandora >
> wrote:
>>

>>SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!

> I agree with this post! It looks fab-yoo-lous!

Yes! I agree!!!

> (And I'll look for the marinated tomatoes next time I'm at that Italian
> deli. Fabulous place.)
>
>>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>>came out well )))
>>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>>artichockes too !

>>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake?
>>Have
>>you got the recipe?

> Stromboli is a very similar principle, it is savory toppings rolled up in
> yeast dough "jelly roll" (or swiss roll) style and then baked.

Like a pizza roll? I would like to do a sort of angel's cake with pizza
dough , but I don't know if it comes out well. It would be an experiment

> Here's one recipe with pictures:
>
> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...stromboli.html

This is very nice. it is made with pizza dough. I wonder if we could cut it
in two halves...

> Charlotte
> http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com
> --

....and I love your truffles on your blog !!!!!!
Thank you for the pics.

--
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:25:55 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!

> Thank you!
>
>>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>>came out well )))

> Hee! I really don't usually have much luck with bread. My partners
> were very impressed.

Ohhhh! I thought you were born with a piece of bread in your hand
DDDDDDDDD

>>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>>artichockes too !
>>
>>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake?
>>Have
>>you got the recipe?

> Here are some pics:
>
> http://www.mvppizza.geomerx.com/inde...y&categoryID=3
>
> http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum..._stromboli.jpg
>
> My sister used to make it by filling white bread dough with pepperoni
> and cheese, and forming it into a shape like a "C".

I like this Stromboli. I want to make it some day!!! thank you for the
idea

--
Cheers
Pandora

> serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Looks very good. I noticed the bag of flour you are using says "Flour of
America". Underneath it says "Manitoba". Last time I looked, Manitoba was
still in Canada. Looks like a marketing exercise used to sell flour. I
wonder if Italians would buy the same flour if they knew it was from Canada?
By the way, flour made from hard Canadian wheat is excellent.

Farmer John

"Pandora" > wrote in message
> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.
>
> here are some pics:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi5wk.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi634.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi691.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiql1.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spir12.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spirgk.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiro4.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spirua.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spis05.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spis6o.jpg
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/spise9.jpg
>
> *Salted Angel's cake*
>
> Category: salted cakes
> Nb persons: 8
>
> For the FIRST DOUGH:
> 135 g strong flour
> 4 g dry yeast
> 100 ml water
> DOUGH:
> 400 g strong flour
> 120 g milk - lukewarm
> 3 eggs - only yolks (plus 1 whole for final
> -brushing)
> 3 tsp salt
> 120 g butter - softened
> FILLING:
> 20 black olives - minced
> 6 dry tomatoes - under oil and drained
> 70 g cooked ham - minced
>
> 1)Make the dough with the first ingredients. Make a ball and let it sit ,
> covered, for about half an hour.
> 2) Make the dough with the second list of ingredients plus the first
> dough. Kneed till all the ingredients are perfectly mixed.
> You will obtain another ball. Cover with a cloth and put in a lukewarm
> place for about 2 hours.
> When it's ready (it should have been risen ) put it on a rolling board and
> make a rectangule of about 5-6 millimeters thick.
> Put over it the ingredients of filling and then begin to roll it. You will
> obtain a big salami. Cut it along the lenght in two halves and plait them.
> Then make a big circle with a hole in the middle which you will put over a
> baking pan covered with baking paper. Brush it with a beaten egg.
> Put in hot oven (200°C) for about 35-40 minutes.
>

> Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
> Calories 384kcal
> Protein 11g (22%)
> Total Fat 15g (24%)
> Sat. 9g (43%)
> Chol. 104mg (35%)
> Carb. 50g (17%)
> Fiber 2g (7%)
> Sugars 1g
> Calcium 39mg (4%)
> Iron 3mg (19%)
>
> ----------
>
> Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fudge wrote:

> Looks very good. I noticed the bag of flour you are using says "Flour of
> America". Underneath it says "Manitoba". Last time I looked, Manitoba was
> still in Canada. Looks like a marketing exercise used to sell flour. I
> wonder if Italians would buy the same flour if they knew it was from Canada?
> By the way, flour made from hard Canadian wheat is excellent.

I'm in Canada and from what I've heard - no references or websites as
I've never bothered to investigate it - Canadian flour is higher in
gluten. IIRC I came across this info while search for breadmachine
recipes. I'm sure those more knowledgable in flour could add to this
info. Anyway, I use unbleached Canadian flour for breadmaking. I've
never added extra gluten and my bread always comes out nice. I lurked
on the breadmaking ng for awhile and they suggested adding gluten if
your bread doesn't rise properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
> In article >, Pandora > wrote:
>

>>SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!

> I agree with this post! It looks fab-yoo-lous!
>
> (And I'll look for the marinated tomatoes next time I'm at that Italian
> deli. Fabulous place.)
>

>>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>>came out well )))
>>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>>artichockes too !

>>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake? Have
>>you got the recipe?

> Stromboli is a very similar principle, it is savory toppings rolled up in
> yeast dough "jelly roll" (or swiss roll) style and then baked.
>
> Here's one recipe with pictures:
>
> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...stromboli.html

Interesting. The only things I've had that were called stromboli were a
piece of round pizza dough filled halfway with one side empty and the
empty side folded over and sealed at the edges, like a turnover. Shaped
like a half-moon.

The rolled one I've seen called "rolled pizza."

Here are some images of both types: <http://tinyurl.com/ht9vu>

Could be a regional thing...?

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fudge wrote:
> Looks very good. I noticed the bag of flour you are using says "Flour of
> America". Underneath it says "Manitoba". Last time I looked, Manitoba was
> still in Canada. Looks like a marketing exercise used to sell flour. I
> wonder if Italians would buy the same flour if they knew it was from Canada?
> By the way, flour made from hard Canadian wheat is excellent.
>
> Farmer John

But but - Canada is IN North AMERICA *G* (last time I checked!) It
doesnt' say Flour of the United States of America.

Roberta (in VA - in the USofA)

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.
>>
>> here are some pics:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi5wk.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi634.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi691.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiql1.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spir12.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spirgk.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiro4.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spirua.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spis05.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spis6o.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spise9.jpg
>>
>> *Salted Angel's cake*
>>
>> Category: salted cakes
>> Nb persons: 8
>>
>> For the FIRST DOUGH:
>> 135 g strong flour
>> 4 g dry yeast
>> 100 ml water
>> DOUGH:
>> 400 g strong flour
>> 120 g milk - lukewarm
>> 3 eggs - only yolks (plus 1 whole for final
>> -brushing)
>> 3 tsp salt
>> 120 g butter - softened
>> FILLING:
>> 20 black olives - minced
>> 6 dry tomatoes - under oil and drained
>> 70 g cooked ham - minced
>>
>> 1)Make the dough with the first ingredients. Make a ball and let it sit ,
>> covered, for about half an hour.
>> 2) Make the dough with the second list of ingredients plus the first
>> dough. Kneed till all the ingredients are perfectly mixed.
>> You will obtain another ball. Cover with a cloth and put in a lukewarm
>> place for about 2 hours.
>> When it's ready (it should have been risen ) put it on a rolling board and
>> make a rectangule of about 5-6 millimeters thick.
>> Put over it the ingredients of filling and then begin to roll it. You will
>> obtain a big salami. Cut it along the lenght in two halves and plait them.
>> Then make a big circle with a hole in the middle which you will put over a
>> baking pan covered with baking paper. Brush it with a beaten egg.
>> Put in hot oven (200°C) for about 35-40 minutes.
>>

>> Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
>> Calories 384kcal
>> Protein 11g (22%)
>> Total Fat 15g (24%)
>> Sat. 9g (43%)
>> Chol. 104mg (35%)
>> Carb. 50g (17%)
>> Fiber 2g (7%)
>> Sugars 1g
>> Calcium 39mg (4%)
>> Iron 3mg (19%)
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob (this one) > wrote:
>Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> In article >, Pandora > wrote:

>> I agree with this post! It looks fab-yoo-lous!
>>
>> (And I'll look for the marinated tomatoes next time I'm at that Italian
>> deli. Fabulous place.)
>>

>>>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>>>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>>>came out well )))
>>>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>>>artichockes too !

>>>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake? Have
>>>you got the recipe?

>> Stromboli is a very similar principle, it is savory toppings rolled up in
>> yeast dough "jelly roll" (or swiss roll) style and then baked.
>>
>> Here's one recipe with pictures:
>>
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...stromboli.html

>Interesting. The only things I've had that were called stromboli were a
>piece of round pizza dough filled halfway with one side empty and the
>empty side folded over and sealed at the edges, like a turnover. Shaped
>like a half-moon.

Are these big or small? How would these differ from calzone?

>The rolled one I've seen called "rolled pizza."
>
>Here are some images of both types: <http://tinyurl.com/ht9vu>
>
>Could be a regional thing...?

Wouldn't doubt that at all. It doesn't seem to be a big thing out here.
I first heard of them from the first Brother Juniper's cookbook - Br
Peter Reinhardt is from Philly ;-).

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:

> Bob (this one) > wrote:
>
>>Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>>
>>> Pandora > wrote:

>>>I agree with this post! It looks fab-yoo-lous!
>>>
>>>(And I'll look for the marinated tomatoes next time I'm at that Italian
>>>deli. Fabulous place.)

>>>Stromboli is a very similar principle, it is savory toppings rolled up in
>>>yeast dough "jelly roll" (or swiss roll) style and then baked.
>>>
>>>Here's one recipe with pictures:
>>>
>>>http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...stromboli.html

>>Interesting. The only things I've had that were called stromboli were a
>>piece of round pizza dough filled halfway with one side empty and the
>>empty side folded over and sealed at the edges, like a turnover. Shaped
>>like a half-moon.

> Are these big or small? How would these differ from calzone?

They're the size of half a pizza of whatever size, usually on the large
side.

Different background traditions, among other things. Calzone (literally
pant legs) were originally long tubes of dough around salamis or
sausages, and resembled the pants worn by Neapolitan men in the 18th and
19 centuries.

Stromboli are ostensibly from the island of the same name.

Calzone are generally intended to be a single portion. Stromboli (the
ones that look like a half moon) are usually cut and served for several
people. With distinctions that fine, the differences are more apparent
than real. OTOH, the rolled Stromboli is a different critter for shape,
service and how it "eats."

Calzone pictures:
<http://tinyurl.com/r5gzz>

Stromboli pictures:
<http://tinyurl.com/ox38h>

>>The rolled one I've seen called "rolled pizza."
>>
>>Here are some images of both types: <http://tinyurl.com/ht9vu>
>>
>>Could be a regional thing...?

> Wouldn't doubt that at all. It doesn't seem to be a big thing out here.
> I first heard of them from the first Brother Juniper's cookbook - Br
> Peter Reinhardt is from Philly ;-).

And is a very cool guy. I spent a little time with him in Montreal and
again in Baltimore with a professional organization we both belonged to.
I asked him baking - mostly bread - questions and he finally asked what
I knew most about. I laughed and said "Bonsai." He said "It's your turn
to tell me everything you know. How would you serve them to a crowd..."

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"fudge" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Looks very good. I noticed the bag of flour you are using says "Flour of
> America". Underneath it says "Manitoba". Last time I looked, Manitoba was
> still in Canada. Looks like a marketing exercise used to sell flour. I
> wonder if Italians would buy the same flour if they knew it was from
> Canada?

Yes! There was a problem with Canadian flour some monthes ago. But the stock
was sequestered from police, so we were quiet.
Strong flour is good to make some cakes and some breads. Bakers can find it
in big sacks, and it is a good strong flour.
Common people, like me, can only find little packages of strong flour (which
we call "Manitoba") in the supermarkets. We have two brands: the one you
have seen in my pics and another.

> By the way, flour made from hard Canadian wheat is excellent.

Yes I knew this

cheers
Pandora

> Farmer John
>
> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.
>>
>> here are some pics:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiudc.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi5wk.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi634.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spi691.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiql1.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spir12.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spirgk.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spiro4.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spirua.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spis05.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spis6o.jpg
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/spise9.jpg
>>
>> *Salted Angel's cake*
>>
>> Category: salted cakes
>> Nb persons: 8
>>
>> For the FIRST DOUGH:
>> 135 g strong flour
>> 4 g dry yeast
>> 100 ml water
>> DOUGH:
>> 400 g strong flour
>> 120 g milk - lukewarm
>> 3 eggs - only yolks (plus 1 whole for final
>> -brushing)
>> 3 tsp salt
>> 120 g butter - softened
>> FILLING:
>> 20 black olives - minced
>> 6 dry tomatoes - under oil and drained
>> 70 g cooked ham - minced
>>
>> 1)Make the dough with the first ingredients. Make a ball and let it sit ,
>> covered, for about half an hour.
>> 2) Make the dough with the second list of ingredients plus the first
>> dough. Kneed till all the ingredients are perfectly mixed.
>> You will obtain another ball. Cover with a cloth and put in a lukewarm
>> place for about 2 hours.
>> When it's ready (it should have been risen ) put it on a rolling board
>> and make a rectangule of about 5-6 millimeters thick.
>> Put over it the ingredients of filling and then begin to roll it. You
>> will obtain a big salami. Cut it along the lenght in two halves and plait
>> them.
>> Then make a big circle with a hole in the middle which you will put over
>> a baking pan covered with baking paper. Brush it with a beaten egg.
>> Put in hot oven (200°C) for about 35-40 minutes.
>>

>> Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
>> Calories 384kcal
>> Protein 11g (22%)
>> Total Fat 15g (24%)
>> Sat. 9g (43%)
>> Chol. 104mg (35%)
>> Carb. 50g (17%)
>> Fiber 2g (7%)
>> Sugars 1g
>> Calcium 39mg (4%)
>> Iron 3mg (19%)
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> In article >, Pandora >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>SERENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!

>> I agree with this post! It looks fab-yoo-lous!
>>
>> (And I'll look for the marinated tomatoes next time I'm at that Italian
>> deli. Fabulous place.)
>>

>>>What nice and beautiful pics!!!!! I think it came out very very good.
>>>yes , you are very concentrated in the first pic )))) ...here is why it
>>>came out well )))
>>>I also want to try to make some other fillings, next time. I would like
>>>artichockes too !

>>>I don't know STromboli. Have you got a pic of it? Is it a salted cake?
>>>Have you got the recipe?

>> Stromboli is a very similar principle, it is savory toppings rolled up in
>> yeast dough "jelly roll" (or swiss roll) style and then baked.
>>
>> Here's one recipe with pictures:
>>
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...stromboli.html

> Interesting. The only things I've had that were called stromboli were a
> piece of round pizza dough filled halfway with one side empty and the
> empty side folded over and sealed at the edges, like a turnover. Shaped
> like a half-moon.

This is what we call "Calzone" , which is half moon shaped!!!

> The rolled one I've seen called "rolled pizza."
>
> Here are some images of both types: <http://tinyurl.com/ht9vu>
>
> Could be a regional thing...?

I think it is a "calzone", which is generally like this:

http://krisdodopower.canalblog.com/images/calzone.jpg

It is the pizza dough, often stuffed with mozzarella and tomatoes, or
mozzarella and cooked ham. In the south of Italy they make also "Calzoni
fritti" (fried calzoni).
cheers
Pandora

> Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:

>>> This looks wonderful
>>> I think I am going to try it with spinach, chevre and artichoke hearts

>> GNAM GNAM!!!!!!!
>> Then tell me how it comes out. Possibly make a pic too
>>

> totally intended to make this today but I just got distracted. Damned grey
> days sucking my energy.
>
> Hopefully I'll get it made in the next couple days.
>
> I think this is one of the few things I've seen here that I absolutely
> wanted
> to make right away.

Yes , perhpas because it is simple and scenographic in the same time
I will wait for your success

--
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Looks very good. I noticed the bag of flour you are using says "Flour of
America". Underneath it says "Manitoba". Last time I looked, Manitoba
was
still in Canada. Looks like a marketing exercise used to sell flour. I
wonder if Italians would buy the same flour if they knew it was from
Canada?

The differentiation is to show it is not from Italy or the EU. The
generic term for high protein or high gluten flour here is "Manitoba"
whether it is actually from Manitoba or not.
Italy doesn't grow enough wheat for her needs, and buys wheat from
everywhere. At one time before WWI the best pasta flour came from
southern Russia.
Italians do seem to know Canada from the US very well, better perhaps
than many US folks who if you mention Italy think Tuscany is Italy.
But like many people around the world, if you say America, they include
Peru, Mexico and Canada, although if you say you are an American
citizen, they know that means USA.
They'd likely be more apt to buy Canadian food than US food, since so
much is made of unhealthy eating in the US that people start out scared
to eat at your house if you are US American.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ziab" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

> this looks great!
>
> I will give it a try!

Hello my dear, how are you? It's nice to see you here

--
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> zb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:

> "The Bubbo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Pandora wrote:
>>> This is a good idea for an entrée or a picnic.

>> This looks wonderful
>> I think I am going to try it with spinach, chevre and artichoke hearts

> GNAM GNAM!!!!!!!
> Then tell me how it comes out. Possibly make a pic too

My pictures suck but here it is. I stuffed it with prosciutto, artichoke
hearts, chevre and spinach
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angelraw.jpg
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angeldone.jpg

so happy with it!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:36:21 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angelraw.jpg
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angeldone.jpg

Most excellent!

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ziab" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> Hello my dear, how are you? It's nice to see you here

> quite well, thanks. I am just enjoying you pics

Thank you! I was thinking of you when I took them
Pandora

> --
> zb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:

>>> This looks wonderful
>>> I think I am going to try it with spinach, chevre and artichoke hearts

>> GNAM GNAM!!!!!!!
>> Then tell me how it comes out. Possibly make a pic too
>>

> My pictures suck but here it is. I stuffed it with prosciutto, artichoke
> hearts, chevre and spinach
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angelraw.jpg
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angeldone.jpg
>
> so happy with it!

WOW!!!! WONDERFUL!!!! I think it has a very good taste.
I see you have put fresh spinach. But what about artichoke? Did you cook and
season them first?
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:

> "The Bubbo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Pandora wrote:

>>> GNAM GNAM!!!!!!!
>>> Then tell me how it comes out. Possibly make a pic too
>>>

>> My pictures suck but here it is. I stuffed it with prosciutto, artichoke
>> hearts, chevre and spinach
>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angelraw.jpg
>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angeldone.jpg
>>
>> so happy with it!

> WOW!!!! WONDERFUL!!!! I think it has a very good taste.
> I see you have put fresh spinach. But what about artichoke? Did you cook and
> season them first?
> Cheers
> Pandora

I used marinated artichokes from the store.
it was really good and I like the way it looks!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:

>>> My pictures suck but here it is. I stuffed it with prosciutto, artichoke
>>> hearts, chevre and spinach
>>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angelraw.jpg
>>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/angeldone.jpg
>>>
>>> so happy with it!

>> WOW!!!! WONDERFUL!!!! I think it has a very good taste.
>> I see you have put fresh spinach. But what about artichoke? Did you cook
>> and
>> season them first?
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> I used marinated artichokes from the store.
> it was really good and I like the way it looks!

Oh! It's an idea to save time
Yes I like the way it looks too. Many compliments to you !!!

--
Cheers
Pandora