Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Different Brand Oatmeal Flakes

This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
Irish on the left; Scottish on the right

Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
Irish on the left; Scottish on the right

Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you can
see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
flakes are pretty well intact.
Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg

We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking) of
the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.

Was fun to do,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Irish ones look a little more like flakes. I have noticed differences in
cooking times between different brands and batches of rolled oats.

I like mine chewy so I MW water to boiling then add oats for a 2 1/2 minute
MW cook (add chopped walnuts, sugar, milk to eat.) Sometimes it only takes a
little over 2 minutes for the same result with a restaurant-supply brand I
buy.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
> http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>
> Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
> http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>
> Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
> You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you can
> see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
> flakes are pretty well intact.
> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
> http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg
>
> We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
> As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking) of
> the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.
>
> Was fun to do,
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" > wrote in message
> The Irish ones look a little more like flakes. I have noticed differences
> in
> cooking times between different brands and batches of rolled oats.
>
> I like mine chewy so I MW water to boiling then add oats for a 2 1/2
> minute
> MW cook (add chopped walnuts, sugar, milk to eat.) Sometimes it only takes
> little over 2 minutes for the same result with a restaurant-supply brand I
> buy.
> --
> Lefty
>
> Life is for learning
> The worst I ever had was wonderful
>

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
>> http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
>> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>>
>> Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
>> http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
>> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>>
>> Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
>> You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you
>> can
>> see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
>> flakes are pretty well intact.
>> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>> http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg
>>
>> We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
>> As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking)
>> of
>> the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.
>>
>> Was fun to do,
>> Dee Dee

Like mine chewy, too. Here's the way we do flakes.

Bring water to boil while adding dried blueberries, raspberries or
blueberries, seeds and/or nuts; when water boils add oat flakes (or
combination of barley, oats and rye) and turn off heat and let sit until
ready to eat.

Put in bowl yogurt or heated coconut milk, flax & wheat germ, ground
almonds, and the cookedcereal. I add honey to my bowl, DH doesn't.
That's breakfast! Easy and fast.

Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
all-night soak.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
> all-night soak.
> Dee Dee

What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to the
flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
taste over-all.

I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
with only a dash of extras added if at all.

I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the oats
taste toasted --not good IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" > wrote in message

>> Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
>> all-night soak.
>> Dee Dee

> What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to
> the
> flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
> I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
> taste over-all.
>
> I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
> of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
> with only a dash of extras added if at all.
>
> I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the
> oats
> taste toasted --not good IMO.

Country Choice oatmeal has "Toasted Flakes."
Me -- I prefer oats only; not barley or rye added, but DH likes this
combination. We have it occasionally, just for a change.
Dee Dee

Gritty Flakes [email protected] Winemaking 7 25-01-2010 03:30 AM
Need Help Crystal Flakes [email protected] Wine 2 10-01-2010 10:22 PM
WiredforWine -- flakes Lon[_2_] Wine 1 18-12-2009 07:38 AM
red pepper flakes blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 26 01-10-2009 09:21 AM
Chilli Flakes TheGolfersWife General Cooking 15 18-04-2007 06:14 AM