Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seltzer cartridges?

Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
spend a lot of money on seltzer.

Thoughts?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:51:27 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>>Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
>>along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
>>spend a lot of money on seltzer.

> I had one and didn't find it that useful when you consider the
> cost of the gas. I found the gas didn't really dissolve in the
> water very easily. I have the iSi brand.

Thanks. That is something to think about. I would love to
eliminate all these cans and dragging home of 12 packs of
seltzer, adding the cost.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
> along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
> spend a lot of money on seltzer.

I have. They work great the only reason I don't use it more is that
I had a hard time finding the CO2 cartridges. NO2 for whipping
cream makers are much easier to find, but no good for selzer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
>along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
>spend a lot of money on seltzer.
>Thoughts?
>nancy

As a fellow Seltzerholic, I look at it this way.
The cost of a selzter maker runs about $50.
10 CO2 cartridges run about $7.

So, for the first 365 fills (1 year) the cost comes to:
$50 for the maker plus
36 X $7 for 1 years worth of cartridges (255.50)
= 305.50 for the year.

So 365 / 305.50 = 0.836 per bottle (usually a litre, but with some
brands it is a quart) of soda.

So, it's up to you whether 83 cents per bottle is worth it to you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>I had one and didn't find it that useful when you consider the
>cost of the gas. I found the gas didn't really dissolve in the
>water very easily. I have the iSi brand.

The trick is that the bottle and water have to refrigerator cold when
you charge it for the CO2 to dissolve well and form fine bubbles that
stay. Cold tap water isn't cold enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Abe" > wrote

> >Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
>>along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
>>spend a lot of money on seltzer.
>>Thoughts?

> As a fellow Seltzerholic, I look at it this way.
> The cost of a selzter maker runs about $50.
> 10 CO2 cartridges run about $7.
>
> So, for the first 365 fills (1 year) the cost comes to:
> $50 for the maker plus
> 36 X $7 for 1 years worth of cartridges (255.50)
> = 305.50 for the year.
>
> So 365 / 305.50 = 0.836 per bottle (usually a litre, but with some
> brands it is a quart) of soda.
>
> So, it's up to you whether 83 cents per bottle is worth it to you.

If it works that is a major savings for me. I go through roughly
a 12pack of seltzer a day. At 3 bucks a pop, do the math. It
struck me yesterday, man, I didn't realize how much I spent on
the stuff.

I'm going to give it a shot (is that a pun?), if it doesn't work, I'm
out some money. Thanks for the hints.

(I know the are people out there thinking, why don't you just
drink plain water? It's gotta be seltzer for me.)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
>> along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
>> spend a lot of money on seltzer.

> I have. They work great the only reason I don't use it more is that
> I had a hard time finding the CO2 cartridges. NO2 for whipping
> cream makers are much easier to find, but no good for selzer.

I was planning on ordering them online, but I'm thinking perhaps
I should check a restaurant supply store. Perhaps they'll have them,
also maybe the soda thing. Worth a shot.

Thanks, Dave.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Abe" > wrote
>
>>> Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
>>> along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
>>> spend a lot of money on seltzer.
>>> Thoughts?

>> As a fellow Seltzerholic, I look at it this way.
>> The cost of a selzter maker runs about $50.
>> 10 CO2 cartridges run about $7.
>>
>> So, for the first 365 fills (1 year) the cost comes to:
>> $50 for the maker plus
>> 36 X $7 for 1 years worth of cartridges (255.50)
>> = 305.50 for the year.
>>
>> So 365 / 305.50 = 0.836 per bottle (usually a litre, but with some
>> brands it is a quart) of soda.
>>
>> So, it's up to you whether 83 cents per bottle is worth it to you.

> If it works that is a major savings for me. I go through roughly
> a 12pack of seltzer a day. At 3 bucks a pop, do the math. It
> struck me yesterday, man, I didn't realize how much I spent on
> the stuff.
>
> I'm going to give it a shot (is that a pun?), if it doesn't work, I'm
> out some money. Thanks for the hints.
>
> (I know the are people out there thinking, why don't you just
> drink plain water? It's gotta be seltzer for me.)
>
> nancy

If you are rerally serious go here
http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I was planning on ordering them online, but I'm thinking perhaps
> I should check a restaurant supply store. Perhaps they'll have them,
> also maybe the soda thing. Worth a shot.

I am not sure about getting them online because they are compressed air.
I used to get them from a restaurant supply store and had to cross the
border. It wasn't a problem when our dollar was worth more and bridge
tolls were less. There is a restaurant supply store on closer to me on
this side of the border now, but I can't tell you when was the last time
I used it.

If you use that much soda why not look into getting you own soda
dispenser.

BTW.... if you decide to have a Scotch and Soda, be very careful or you
may end up wearing the Scotch. :-)

We have been drinking a lot of soda water lately. I find that a glass of
soda with a slice of lemon and a slice of lime is really tasty and more
satisfying that a sweet soda pop. I was shopping today and bought a case
of store brand soda water because it was almost $3 per case less and
water with a bit of salt and CO2..... how much can the brand name stuff
be any better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Davey" > wrote

> If you are rerally serious go here
> http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Wow! That's really something. Way beyond my capabilities.
Cool. Thanks.

And nice to see you, of course.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:01:45 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>"Ken Davey" > wrote
>
>> If you are rerally serious go here
>> http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm

>Wow! That's really something. Way beyond my capabilities.
>Cool. Thanks.
>
>And nice to see you, of course.
>
>nancy

Search on eBay, then.

The cartridges can be cheaper there than anywhere. Keep your eyes
open and within a couple of weeks, you'll find a nice siphon and
cartridges, too, at a decent price.

Here are cartridges

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=co2+cartridge

I got a whipped cream maker this way. Some guy was closing a coffee
shop and I got about 10 packs of cartridges along with a wide
assortment of attachments and extras. Good deal.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:27:14 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>>(I know the are people out there thinking, why don't you just
>>drink plain water? It's gotta be seltzer for me.)

> Seltzer cleanses the tongue (Scrubbing Bubbles) and is more
> refreshing, IMO.

You know, now that you mention it ... that might just be
why I haven't felt the need to brush my teeth in ages now.
Huh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Has anyone made their own seltzer at home using these
> along with a soda syphon? I'm interested in trying one, I sure
> spend a lot of money on seltzer.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> nancy

When I was living in Germany, my housemates and I had one of those and
were pretty happy with it. It saved money and lugging. To me, it is a
precondition that I like the flavor of the tap water available to me.

A bonus was that you have control over how many bubbles you wind up
with. Store bought bottles often have more than I care for.

I've never tried the flavored syrups that can be added.

I often consider getting one again, but living on my own, I hesitate.
But that is also because the siphons are hard to find here i Holland and
I hardly have any storage space left in my kitchen/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I was planning on ordering them online, but I'm thinking perhaps
>> I should check a restaurant supply store. Perhaps they'll have them,
>> also maybe the soda thing. Worth a shot.

> I am not sure about getting them online because they are compressed air.
> I used to get them from a restaurant supply store and had to cross the
> border. It wasn't a problem when our dollar was worth more and bridge
> tolls were less. There is a restaurant supply store on closer to me on
> this side of the border now, but I can't tell you when was the last time
> I used it.

I just saw this note ... someone said they couldn't find the chargers,
I wanted to say they kept them behind the counter where I went and
I think they have to, kids have found a way to use them to get high.
I think. Vague, I know. But if someone can't find them on the shelf,
they might want to ask.

I did see them for sale online, but I can't speak for Canada.

> If you use that much soda why not look into getting you own soda
> dispenser.

I don't know exactly what you mean. (laugh) I feel silly saying
that.

> BTW.... if you decide to have a Scotch and Soda, be very careful or you
> may end up wearing the Scotch. :-)

Heh, this thing has no handle. What looks for all the world like
a handle is, in fact, the spout. Shot the cat totally by accident.
Okay, just kidding, I missed her but not by a whole lot.

I can see shooting seltzer into a highball could be a recipe for
disaster.

> We have been drinking a lot of soda water lately. I find that a glass of
> soda with a slice of lemon and a slice of lime is really tasty and more
> satisfying that a sweet soda pop.

I love that. I really do. I don't always have the lemon, but I like that
a lot.

> I was shopping today and bought a case
> of store brand soda water because it was almost $3 per case less and
> water with a bit of salt and CO2..... how much can the brand name stuff
> be any better?

Yeah, I've found a cheaper store brand, but not cheaper by much.
Really adds up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 06 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I did see them for sale online, but I can't speak for Canada.

in canada the cartridges are where co2 airguns can be bought.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy - just curious. Are you making just soda water? No flavouring of any
kind? (No Scotch? <G>)

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote

> Nancy - just curious. Are you making just soda water? No flavouring of
> any kind? (No Scotch? <G>)

(laugh) No ... just plain, unless I decide to squeeze a lemon
into it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote on 06 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I did see them for sale online, but I can't speak for Canada.
>>

> in canada the cartridges are where co2 airguns can be bought.
>
> --
> -Alan

CO2 cartridges for airguns usually contain a small amount of lubricant for
the mechanism.
Jim

Seltzer Man brooklyn1 General Cooking 6 27-09-2009 08:23 PM
Dicounted Ink Cartridges 30946 Athena Tea 0 05-03-2009 02:05 PM
Cucumber seltzer???? percy Diabetic 5 03-03-2009 12:18 AM
co2 cartridges Rich Adams General 1 06-05-2006 01:31 AM
where to buy CO2 cartridges? JLove98905 General Cooking 36 20-12-2003 09:02 PM