Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

Default can you really eat shoe?

what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?

did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

"man for all seasonings" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?

Chaplin used a prop shoe made out of liquorice candy; these days some sort
of gelatine or fruit leather would be used. The shoe nails were made from
hard candy. Reportedly Chaplin (and Mack Swain) had to eat so many of the
fake shoes during retakes that they did become sick.

Eric Stott

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

On 30 Mar 2006 16:54:07 -0800, "man for all seasonings"
> wrote:

>what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?
>
>did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

Yes. they cooked it a long time, though.

You can see the film as one of the extras on the Criterion Burden of
Dreams.

John Harkness
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

In article .com>,
"man for all seasonings" > wrote:

> what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?
>
> did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

You could theoretically eat shoe leather; you'd have to boil it for
about 48 hours straight or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

Forge wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "man for all seasonings" > wrote:
>
>> what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?
>>
>> did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

> You could theoretically eat shoe leather; you'd have to boil it for
> about 48 hours straight or so.

I'm pretty sure I've read that the Donner party cooked the leather of
snowshoe lacings, shoes, and boots after turning to that other source of
sustinence.

Was there ever a movie made of the Donner party ordeal? I just did a quick
search and a PBS documentary by Ric Burns, _The Donner Party_ (1992). Ric is
Ken Burns's brother; they worked together on _The Civil War_ (1990).
(http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/donner/)

The IMDb also hows TV drama from 1978, _Donner Pass: The Road to Survival_,
which one user in effect called a bad soap opera.

As far I can tell, those are the only film representations of this famous
episode in Western history.

--
Frank in Seattle
____

Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
"Millennium hand and shrimp."

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

"man for all seasonings" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?
>
> did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

I believe a guy ate a car once...!!! He had it disassembled and cut up into
little pieces... I don't think he ate it at one sitting though.

dave
www.Shemakhan.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

One really useful movie site is Imdb.

According to them, the scene where The Lone Prospector and Big Jim
have a boot for supper took three days and 63 takes to suit director
Charles Chaplin. The boot was made of licorice, and Chaplin was later
rushed to hospital suffering insulin shock.

hope this casts some light on your question.

www. imdb.com - click on the trivia tab for some interesting and querky
stuff regarding the movie of your choice.

cheers,

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook" and/or "Save planet earth - it's the ONLY
ONE WITH CHOCOLATE!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent

"Lookingglass" > wrote in message
. ..

> "man for all seasonings" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?
>>
>> did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

I believe it is documented in Werner Herzog's "Burden of Dreams"
Dee Dee

Corned Beef - Tough as Shoe Leather DONNA BECKER-STONE General Cooking 9 07-04-2009 11:25 PM
.DOGGYBAG.TURKEYTRAVLE.CHUCKEL.JEWRY.CAR.SHOE MR,.BULLFROG General Cooking 0 25-10-2007 08:42 PM
food cooking shoe cheapestsell General Cooking 3 12-08-2007 07:51 PM
Shoe question ChodeMasterJ Vegan 0 11-08-2004 09:36 AM
rethink the shoe Hassan al Queda Restaurants 0 08-10-2003 10:22 PM