FoodBanter.com

-   -   help cleaning enamel pot- was covered w/foil paper in oven- help (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/87295-help-cleaning-enamel-pot.html)

KOS 30-03-2006 10:12 PM

help cleaning enamel pot- was covered w/foil paper in oven- help

Hello, I have a yellow enamel pot- I was cooking something in oven and
had to put foil paper on outside of pot.... Now there is dark coloring
on the outside of yellow pot from foil paper... Dont know how to clean
this, wont come off with soap and water..please help
KOS

Doug Kanter 30-03-2006 10:26 PM

help cleaning enamel pot- was covered w/foil paper in oven- help

"KOS" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello, I have a yellow enamel pot- I was cooking something in oven and
> had to put foil paper on outside of pot.... Now there is dark coloring
> on the outside of yellow pot from foil paper... Dont know how to clean
> this, wont come off with soap and water..please help
> KOS

From the supermarket: Bon Ami powder, or a tougher version, Barkeeper's
Friend. The first one is preferable.

Sheldon 31-03-2006 01:33 AM

KOS wrote:
> Hello, I have a yellow enamel pot- I was cooking something in oven and
> had to put foil paper on outside of pot.... Now there is dark coloring
> on the outside of yellow pot from foil paper... Dont know how to clean
> this, wont come off with soap and water..please help

If truely enamel (enamel is paint) by cooking with it in an oven hot
enough that it discolored (you don't say the temperature) then the
damage is permanent, you chared the enamel. There exist inexpensive
carbon steel pots that are painted with enamel and then coated with
clear porcelain, they are mainly decorative and should never be used in
an oven or for cooking over high heat like frying... they make okay
pasta pots is all. Better quality carbon steel pots are coated with
pigmentized porcelain, those can be used safely at higher temperatures
and are much less likely to discolor.

Sheldon

Pennyaline[_4_] 31-03-2006 04:58 AM

Sheldon wrote:
> KOS wrote:
>> Hello, I have a yellow enamel pot- I was cooking something in oven and
>> had to put foil paper on outside of pot.... Now there is dark coloring
>> on the outside of yellow pot from foil paper... Dont know how to clean
>> this, wont come off with soap and water..please help

> If truely enamel (enamel is paint) by cooking with it in an oven hot
> enough that it discolored (you don't say the temperature) then the
> damage is permanent, you chared the enamel. There exist inexpensive
> carbon steel pots that are painted with enamel and then coated with
> clear porcelain, they are mainly decorative and should never be used in
> an oven or for cooking over high heat like frying... they make okay
> pasta pots is all. Better quality carbon steel pots are coated with
> pigmentized porcelain, those can be used safely at higher temperatures
> and are much less likely to discolor.

Not exactly, Sheldon. Vitreous enamel is a durable porcelain surface
created by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing. It is the
only step in the process.

But that doesn't mean that all cookware marked as "enamel" are porcelain
enamel. Cheaper products are probably somewhat as you've described.

Steve Pope 01-04-2006 09:40 PM

Doug Kanter > wrote:

>"KOS" > wrote in message

>> Hello, I have a yellow enamel pot- I was cooking something in oven and
>> had to put foil paper on outside of pot.... Now there is dark coloring
>> on the outside of yellow pot from foil paper... Dont know how to clean
>> this, wont come off with soap and water..please help
>> KOS

> From the supermarket: Bon Ami powder, or a tougher version,
> Barkeeper's Friend. The first one is preferable.

Kosher salt is another approach.

Barkeeper's Friend can clean enamel so that it looks good,
but then its surface is somehow altered so that it gets
dirty-looking faster in the future. (There's a warning about
this on the container.)

Steve

Pennyaline[_6_] 02-04-2006 05:10 AM

Sheldon wrote:
> Pennyaline wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>> If truely enamel (enamel is paint) by cooking with it in an oven hot
>>> enough that it discolored (you don't say the temperature) then the
>>> damage is permanent, you chared the enamel. There exist inexpensive
>>> carbon steel pots that are painted with enamel and then coated with
>>> clear porcelain, they are mainly decorative and should never be used in
>>> an oven or for cooking over high heat like frying... they make okay
>>> pasta pots is all. Better quality carbon steel pots are coated with
>>> pigmentized porcelain, those can be used safely at higher temperatures
>>> and are much less likely to discolor.

>> Not exactly, Sheldon. Vitreous enamel is a durable porcelain surface
>> created by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing. It is the
>> only step in the process.

> Whadaya mean "Not exactly", the OP said nothing about "Vitreous"
> anything.

Nor did you ;p

However, the OP may not have known anything about the differences in
enamels.

>> But that doesn't mean that all cookware marked as "enamel" are porcelain
>> enamel.

> Back peddaling are ya... you're essentially posting exactly what I did
> but, but paraphrasing.

Saying what you failed to say is not the same as paraphrasing, Shel.

>> Cheaper products are probably somewhat as you've described.

> Exactly.
>
> There're lots of cheapo decorative cookware out there, many even
> painted with flowers and such... I could never fathom why otherwise
> normal brained folks waste their money on that kind of crap. Even
> quality vitreous enamel will discolor when subjected to high
> temperatures, which is why the better grades of such cookware typically
> use darker/speckled colors... some resort to darker shading near the
> bottom portions that would usually be closer to the heat source, this
> to make discoloration less noticeable. Years ago colored kitchen
> appliances (harvest gold, avocado, coppertone...) were made with shaded
> areas located at points prone to discoloration.

Right. That's what I said.

Doug Kanter 02-04-2006 08:14 PM

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter > wrote:
>
>>"KOS" > wrote in message

>>> Hello, I have a yellow enamel pot- I was cooking something in oven and
>>> had to put foil paper on outside of pot.... Now there is dark coloring
>>> on the outside of yellow pot from foil paper... Dont know how to clean
>>> this, wont come off with soap and water..please help
>>> KOS

>> From the supermarket: Bon Ami powder, or a tougher version,
>> Barkeeper's Friend. The first one is preferable.

> Kosher salt is another approach.
>
> Barkeeper's Friend can clean enamel so that it looks good,
> but then its surface is somehow altered so that it gets
> dirty-looking faster in the future. (There's a warning about
> this on the container.)
>
> Steve

That's why Bon Ami is a better choice. Same basic type of product, but a
much finer grit.