Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Skinning Chestnuts

Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts? <<

Not that I know of. That's the way we tediously proceeded in cooking
school. Roasting them seems marginally easier to remove the skins, but
then the chestnut isn't right for recipes that need boiled chestnuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judith Umbria wrote:
> >>Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of

> a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts? <<
>
> Not that I know of. That's the way we tediously proceeded in cooking
> school. Roasting them seems marginally easier to remove the skins, but
> then the chestnut isn't right for recipes that need boiled chestnuts.

Thanks. We figured that maybe if the shape of the chestnuts are more
rounded like the ones we had today, they seemed to be easier to peel
then those flater ones which we had last time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
> a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?

There are specific instructions for peeling chestnuts, and odds are the
nuts you're using are of poor quality and/or old.

Learn he http://www.chestnutsonline.com

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Judith Umbria" > wrote:

> >>Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of

> a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts? <<
>
> Not that I know of. That's the way we tediously proceeded in cooking
> school. Roasting them seems marginally easier to remove the skins, but
> then the chestnut isn't right for recipes that need boiled chestnuts.

I just buy them canned.....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dee" > wrote in news:1143693170.151942.287080
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
> a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?

The only thing I find helpful is peeling as soon as possible after cooking,
so I do them in batches to give them less time to get cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

> oh yeah.. oh yeah.. mmm...
>
> the round shaped ones seem to be easier to peel then the flatter shaped
> ones. mmm... we had it braised with chicken and pineapple last night.

...thinking about it, it took about the similar effort as chopping
carrot theads.

Skinning Garbanzo Beans? Sqwertz[_25_] General Cooking 29 14-12-2010 06:30 AM
Chestnuts Bonnie General Cooking 5 17-11-2006 01:23 AM
Chestnuts Nancy Young General Cooking 14 24-09-2006 06:35 PM
chestnuts Phyllis General Cooking 5 19-11-2004 02:25 PM
Skinning raw peanuts Peter Aitken General Cooking 11 09-10-2004 10:26 PM