Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Choc chip cookies: chewy or crisp?

Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
crisp, or puffy and chewy?

I personally like them to flatten out quite a bit and get crispy. My BF
likes them to be chewy and not as flat. My daughter's 9, she likes em
all. Mom always made them crispy when I was growing up.

So for tonight's cookies, I made the dough using 1/4 c less flour than
called for, and baked them for 12 minutes, til nicely browned. Then I
added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the dough, and baked the
other 2 dozen for 10 minutes, til lightly golden. Voila! We had a batch
of crispy buttery cookies, and a batch of soft gooey cookies.
Everyone's happy.

Then again, who wouldn't be happy with 4 dozen fresh homemade chocolate
chip cookies in the house?!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

I like mind just slightly undercooked. I have a method I use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise~* wrote:
> Jude wrote:
>
> > Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> > crisp, or puffy and chewy?
> >

> I like mind just slightly undercooked. I have a method I use.

So, aer you gonna tell us about that method?!?!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Flat and crisp.

Elisa (thanks for asking!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?
>
> I personally like them to flatten out quite a bit and get crispy. My BF
> likes them to be chewy and not as flat. My daughter's 9, she likes em
> all. Mom always made them crispy when I was growing up.
>
> So for tonight's cookies, I made the dough using 1/4 c less flour than
> called for, and baked them for 12 minutes, til nicely browned. Then I
> added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the dough, and baked the
> other 2 dozen for 10 minutes, til lightly golden. Voila! We had a batch
> of crispy buttery cookies, and a batch of soft gooey cookies.
> Everyone's happy.
>
> Then again, who wouldn't be happy with 4 dozen fresh homemade chocolate
> chip cookies in the house?!

chewy, definitely chewy
though I'll take crispy if they're offered. I really don't like cakey cookies.
I usually replace a tablespoon or so of flour with gluten and heat up my
butter before adding it.

Also, I use crushed mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat
> and crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Flat and chewy.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise~* wrote:
> Jude wrote:
>
>> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
>> crisp, or puffy and chewy?
>>

> I like mind just slightly undercooked. I have a method I use.

It's a bit complicated. I use my toaster oven, on a lower temp for a
longer period of time. (took about 6 batches to figure out the time &
temp for my toaster oven) I think I figured it out somewhere around 325
for 15 minutes (or something like that) They have to be non-browned &
still in the puffy stage (but not completely raw). I line the pan with
foil. Since they are slightly undercooked, they are hard to scrape off
the pan/foil, so I let them cool on the foil on a rack, then I can just
peel them off carefully when cooled. They are great first cooked, but
the next day have to be nuked for 15 seconds in order to get the
softness back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Denise~* wrote:
>
>>Jude wrote:
>>

>>>Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
>>>crisp, or puffy and chewy?
>>>

>>I like mind just slightly undercooked. I have a method I use.

> So, aer you gonna tell us about that method?!?!

Ohh, yeah, I also increase the brown sugar by 1/4 cup & decrease the
white by the same amount.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise~* wrote:

> Jude wrote:

>>> I like mind just slightly undercooked. I have a method I use.

>> So, aer you gonna tell us about that method?!?!
>>

> Ohh, yeah, I also increase the brown sugar by 1/4 cup & decrease the
> white by the same amount.

Grr, I also use dark brown instead of regular
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat
> and crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Chewy, please!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Jude wrote:
> > Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat
> > and crisp, or puffy and chewy?
> >

> Chewy, please!
>
> Jill

I like them both ways. :-)
Depends on my mood.....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Flat and crispy with lots of black walnuts. I like them baked *almost* to
the point of being burned, but not quite. I often break them up into a bowl
and pour milk over them. Mmmmm...

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Jude wrote:
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

I like the raw batter best of all. I prefer the cookies chewy. But
mostly I like cookie-making to be done, or participated in, by the
kid(s). So you did a good thing here in showing your daughter how a
baker can create a difference. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Flat and crisp. My favorite recipe came from the back of a Chipits bag:

Chipits Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour (I sometimes do 50% whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups quick oats
2 cups chocolate chips

Cream margarine, shortening & sugars. Beat in eggs & vanilla.

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Blend into creamed mixture.
Stir in oats & chocolate chips.

Drop from med. spoon onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375ºF for 10-12 minutes. Yields 5 dozen.

NOTE: I usually make these in my food processor. If I only have rolled
oats on hand I don't transfer to a bowl until I've added the rolled oats and
have pulsed the food processor a few times.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

I watched an interesting show (Good Eats) with Alton Brown on Food
Network. He took the recipe off the back of a bag of chocolate chips
and altered it to make three different kinds of cookies: thin and
crispy, fat and then chewy. He used different ingredients and types of
flour:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show...6_17114,00.htm

Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Mar 2006 18:10:29 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
>crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Flat and chewy, but NOT floury or dry... I've got an oatmeal cookie
recipe that you can put chips into and if you bake it for 8-10 minutes
they come out chewy, and if you bake it for 12-14 they're crisp. Both
ways are good but chewy is my favourite...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?
>
> I personally like them to flatten out quite a bit and get crispy. My BF
> likes them to be chewy and not as flat. My daughter's 9, she likes em
> all. Mom always made them crispy when I was growing up.
>
> So for tonight's cookies, I made the dough using 1/4 c less flour than
> called for, and baked them for 12 minutes, til nicely browned. Then I
> added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the dough, and baked the
> other 2 dozen for 10 minutes, til lightly golden. Voila! We had a batch
> of crispy buttery cookies, and a batch of soft gooey cookies.
> Everyone's happy.
>
> Then again, who wouldn't be happy with 4 dozen fresh homemade chocolate
> chip cookies in the house?!

I like them on the thin side, and chewy. Not cakey, not soft. Chewy.
I make flour from oats, which makes for great cookies. I posted a recipe (A different
kind of chocolate chip cookie) not so long ago. They get crispy edges, but retain
their chewiness.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

Neither, flat and chewy. Crisp on the outside and chewy in
the middle. The puffy ones aren't really chewy (the way I
define chewy) they're more cakey. The secret for good crisp/chewy
cookies is to use the Nestle's Tollhouse recipe but use all
shortening - no butter - and don't over bake them.

Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 30 Mar 2006 07:18:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kate
Connally?

> Jude wrote:
>>
>> Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
>> crisp, or puffy and chewy?

> Neither, flat and chewy. Crisp on the outside and chewy in
> the middle. The puffy ones aren't really chewy (the way I
> define chewy) they're more cakey. The secret for good crisp/chewy
> cookies is to use the Nestle's Tollhouse recipe but use all
> shortening - no butter - and don't over bake them.
>
> Kate

Well, it's not a secret anymore, Kate. You told! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate do you find the taste not as good when you use all shortening? Or do
you use butter flavored shortening? I like my cookies like you, crispy on
the outside and chewy in the middle. I still have not achieved it, I'd like
to give your tip a try. Thanks, Miriam
"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Jude wrote:
> >
> > Good topic for debate. Do you like your chocolate chip cookies flat and
> > crisp, or puffy and chewy?

> Neither, flat and chewy. Crisp on the outside and chewy in
> the middle. The puffy ones aren't really chewy (the way I
> define chewy) they're more cakey. The secret for good crisp/chewy
> cookies is to use the Nestle's Tollhouse recipe but use all
> shortening - no butter - and don't over bake them.
>
> Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nobodyhome1 wrote:

> Kate do you find the taste not as good when you use all shortening?

I find the taste to be just fine. But then I grew up eating
them that way as that's the way my grandmother and mother made
them.

> Or do you use butter flavored shortening? I like my cookies like
> you, crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.

That is something I would never do. I don't know what they use
to achieve the supposed "butter" flavor but I don't like the
idea of something artificially flavored that way. Nothing wrong
with regular Crisco. Now, I do love butter and eat as much
of it as possible and use it in preference to shortening in
many things I cook, but there are just some things where, as
good as butter is, shortening works better. And there is lots
of good flavor in the Toll House cookies from the brown sugar
and vanilla and the chips themselves so the butter flavor is
hardly missed, at least by me.

> I still have not achieved it, I'd like
> to give your tip a try.

Well, just bake them less time than the recipe says. Probably
no more than about 8 minutes. And I make mine fairly - about
2 1/2" in diameter once baked - large so that helps. If you make
them small they cook too fast.

Good luck.

Kate

--