Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another Carbon Steel Frying Pan Source

I think I've found another source of plain carbon steel frying pans.

In another thread, I mentioned I was using a 70 year old Vollrath cast iron
chicken fryer. I thought I'd pop over to Vollrath's site to see what they
are making these days. Looks like they are making traditional French style
carbon steel pans, among other things, but made in the USA:

http://www.vollrathco.com/catalog_pr...id=4500&cid=56

They sure look similar to the de Buyer ones I've got from France. Anyone
familiar with these from Vollrath?

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
>I think I've found another source of plain carbon steel frying pans.
>
> In another thread, I mentioned I was using a 70 year old Vollrath cast
> iron chicken fryer. I thought I'd pop over to Vollrath's site to see what
> they are making these days. Looks like they are making traditional French
> style carbon steel pans, among other things, but made in the USA:
>
> http://www.vollrathco.com/catalog_pr...id=4500&cid=56
>
> They sure look similar to the de Buyer ones I've got from France. Anyone
> familiar with these from Vollrath?
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

No, although I have seen some at the restaurant supply store. I just never
knew that Vollrath made cast iron --I've seen stainless steel and
enamelware. All of my mixing bowls from huge to small are Vollrath and
probably 70-80 years old. Good stuff.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bought mine at a Restaurant Supply store. The pans I bought have a
brand name 'Bluebird', and they are made in Canada. The Vollrath
product looks exactly the same with similar dimensions and handles.
I have been using Bluebird pans for last 15 years or so. They are
really great!
Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> No, although I have seen some at the restaurant supply store. I just
> never knew that Vollrath made cast iron --I've seen stainless steel and
> enamelware. All of my mixing bowls from huge to small are Vollrath and
> probably 70-80 years old. Good stuff.

I guess Vollrath is primarily in the restaurant supply market, and has been
for a long time. But I do have two things from them that are newer than my
chicken fryer. I've got a stainless slotted spoon from them that my parents
gave me around 30 years ago, that probably dates from the 1960s. And I've
got a 36 quart aluminum seafood steamer pot from them I picked up at K-Mart
about a decade ago. So their products did occassionally show up in normal
consumer channels.

I'm not sure how long Vollrath was in the cast iron market, but they got out
of it decades ago. They also made enameled cast iron at one time.

Here's an image of the same Vollrath chicken fryer I've got. No question who
made it! ;-)
http://www.wag-society.org/ic_pics/2_VollrathTaylor.jpg

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
made enameled cast iron at one time.

> Here's an image of the same Vollrath chicken fryer I've got. No question
> who made it! ;-)
> http://www.wag-society.org/ic_pics/2_VollrathTaylor.jpg
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

What a beauty. !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just googled Bluebird for steel pans. They are all 18 gauge high
carbon. The URL is as follows.

http://www.bluebird.ca/e/index1.html

On the net an 11" pan is about $15.00 at Amazon.com

Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yogi Gupta" > wrote:
>I just googled Bluebird for steel pans. They are all 18 gauge high
> carbon. The URL is as follows.
>
> http://www.bluebird.ca/e/index1.html
>
> On the net an 11" pan is about $15.00 at Amazon.com
>
> Yogi

Interesting that there are at least two manufacturers of these carbon steel
pans in North America. And I thought they only came from France before
today! ;-)

I think carbon steel pans are great. Similar to cast iron in their ability
to form a seasoned "non stick" (or low stick) surface, but lighter in
weight. Not the most beautiful things to look at, but very useful. I've got
a few, including an omelette pan I used just this morning.

In other casual reading today, in an old 1965 Sears catalog, I came across
another kind of carbon steel cookware from years past. There was cookware
made back then that had stainless steel inside and out, with a core of
carbon steel that ran all the way up the sides. Kind of like today's All
Clad, but with carbon steel as the conducting inner layer rather than
aluminum. I wonder how well it performed. Carbon steel is a reasonably good
conductor compared to stainless steel or cast iron, but not in the same
class as aluminum or copper.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )