Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default growth in vinegar ... what is it?

MOOOOOOOOOOOTHER!

Does it wave like seaweed? I just put it in whatever I'm making. Harmless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A batch of red wine vinegar, made in 2002, was recently discovered to
have large, tube-like growths inside ... the largest probably about
1.5" diameter, and nearly the length of the bottle.

Any idea what this could be?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:26:32 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
> > A batch of red wine vinegar, made in 2002, was recently discovered to
> > have large, tube-like growths inside ... the largest probably about
> > 1.5" diameter, and nearly the length of the bottle.
> >
> > Any idea what this could be?
> >

> It's called Vinegar Mother and is a harmless fungal growth.
> It can be used to make more vinegar from wine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar_mother

I wish my vinegar would do that! I's love to be able to throw
leftover wine into a bottle and have home made vinegar down the road.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It doesn't look like any of the pictures of mother that I've seen ...
these are several segments of tubes, each about 1.5" in diameter ...
but yes, they do seem to be flexible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:26:32 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A batch of red wine vinegar, made in 2002, was recently discovered to
> > > have large, tube-like growths inside ... the largest probably about
> > > 1.5" diameter, and nearly the length of the bottle.
> > >
> > > Any idea what this could be?
> > >

> > It's called Vinegar Mother and is a harmless fungal growth.
> > It can be used to make more vinegar from wine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar_mother

> I wish my vinegar would do that! I's love to be able to throw
> leftover wine into a bottle and have home made vinegar down the road.

We have ongoing cultures of Kombucha symbiont...
Brewed over sufficient time (2 weeks ore more), it makes vinegar.

Want some? It's a similar organism but symbiotic. It's a mix of bacteria
and fungus.

I know it makes a seriously good vinegar if you want to play with it. ;-)

I can't help but wonder if Kombucha and Mother are related.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:20:37 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > I wish my vinegar would do that! I's love to be able to throw
> > leftover wine into a bottle and have home made vinegar down the road.

> We have ongoing cultures of Kombucha symbiont...
> Brewed over sufficient time (2 weeks ore more), it makes vinegar.
>
> Want some? It's a similar organism but symbiotic. It's a mix of bacteria
> and fungus.
>
> I know it makes a seriously good vinegar if you want to play with it. ;-)
>
> I can't help but wonder if Kombucha and Mother are related.

Yes, thanks! I would imagine a little goes a long way... so it
shouldn't cost more than a regular postage stamp for shipping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:20:37 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > > >
> > > I wish my vinegar would do that! I's love to be able to throw
> > > leftover wine into a bottle and have home made vinegar down the road.

> > We have ongoing cultures of Kombucha symbiont...
> > Brewed over sufficient time (2 weeks ore more), it makes vinegar.
> >
> > Want some? It's a similar organism but symbiotic. It's a mix of bacteria
> > and fungus.
> >
> > I know it makes a seriously good vinegar if you want to play with it. ;-)
> >
> > I can't help but wonder if Kombucha and Mother are related.

> Yes, thanks! I would imagine a little goes a long way... so it
> shouldn't cost more than a regular postage stamp for shipping.

I'm not worried about the cost... and you know as well as I that a
smidgin of culture can make jars and jars. ;-)

Let me see if you are still in my computer roladex:

Your st, address number still 71????

E-mail me a reminder and I'll put you in my weekly shipping file.

I'm not kidding, dad has several gallon jars of cultures. It's an
obsession with him. <G>

I reserved 1/2 of our pantry space for his Kombucha setup when mom died
and he moved back in with me. :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd.
2003 Apr;10(2):85-7.
Kombucha: a systematic review of the clinical evidence.
Ernst E.
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School,
Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, UK.

AIM: Kombucha has become a popular complementary remedy.
The aim of this systematic review was to critically
evaluate the evidence related to its efficacy and safety.

METHODS: Computerised literature searches were carried
out to locate all human medical investigations of
kombucha regardless of study design. Data were extracted
and validated by the present author and are reported
in narrative form.

RESULTS: No clinical studies were found relating to the
efficacy of this remedy. Several case reports and case
series raise doubts about the safety of kombucha. They
include suspected liver damage, metabolic acidosis and
cutaneous anthrax infections. One fatality is on record.

CONCLUSIONS: On the basis of these data it was concluded
that the largely undetermined benefits do not outweigh
the documented risks of kombucha. It can therefore not
be recommended for therapeutic use.

J Gen Intern Med. 1997 Oct;12(10):643-4.
Probable gastrointestinal toxicity of Kombucha tea:
is this beverage healthy or harmful?
Srinivasan R, Smolinske S, Greenbaum D.
Texas Tech Health Sciences Center and Veterans Affairs,
Amarillo 79106-1797, USA.

Kombucha tea is a health beverage made by incubating
the Kombucha "mushroom" in tea and sugar. Although
therapeutic benefits have been attributed to the drink,
neither its beneficial effects nor adverse side effects
have been reported widely in the scientific literature.
Side effects probably related to consumption of
Kombucha tea are reported in four patients. Two
presented with symptoms of allergic reaction, the third
with jaundice, and the fourth with nausea, vomiting,
and head and neck pain. In all four, use of Kombucha
tea in proximity to onset of symptoms and symptom
resolution on cessation of tea drinking suggest a
probable etiologic association.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:37:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Let me see if you are still in my computer roladex:
>
> Your st, address number still 71????
>
> E-mail me a reminder and I'll put you in my weekly shipping file.
>
> I'm not kidding, dad has several gallon jars of cultures. It's an
> obsession with him. <G>

Okey dokey! Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Any idea what this could be?

sell it on ebay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:37:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Let me see if you are still in my computer roladex:
> >
> > Your st, address number still 71????
> >
> > E-mail me a reminder and I'll put you in my weekly shipping file.
> >
> > I'm not kidding, dad has several gallon jars of cultures. It's an
> > obsession with him. <G>

> Okey dokey! Thanks

Stored in the ebay file... :-)

Despite negative posts to the contrary, dad's been drinking his brew for
over 10 years and I think it really helps his immune system. He ferments
a variety of herbals along with the green tea and sugar.

I don't like to drink it simply because I don't like drinking things
that taste like vinegar as a beverage. ;-) I do keep some of the
stronger Kombu' vinegar on the stove for cooking tho'. I want to try
filtering some really well and making an herbal vinegar with it.
Dill/basil vinegar is excellent on fish.

Try to handle it in a sanitary manner. Kombu' that gets contaminated
turns odd colors and falls apart. A healthy culture has the texture of
rubber and a deep tan-ish color.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:38:00 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >We must get together for lunch sometime, just for grins.

> Just grins?
>
> I don't think dad likes me much since I was partly responsible for
> scaring him away from Usenet a few ago.

He _needed_ to get scared away from usenet...
He does not have the personality to handle it, and being a persistant
net-kook that will not listen to anybody.... <sigh>

I love him but I have to bite my tongue a lot. ;-)

> But drop me a line when
> you're in town next.

I will. I have your e-mail.
Maybe we can go dutch at Kim Phungs or something.

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> A batch of red wine vinegar, made in 2002, was recently discovered to
> have large, tube-like growths inside ... the largest probably about
> 1.5" diameter, and nearly the length of the bottle.
>
> Any idea what this could be?

I don't know, but there is a jar of formaldehyde containing Elvis Presley's
penis missing from the mantlepiece at Graceland. Are you a fan?
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

TN 2 5th Growth Bordeaux graham Wine 1 17-05-2011 08:24 AM
Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 Mr.Smartypants[_2_] Vegan 0 22-09-2009 08:43 PM
Vancouver First Growth Dinner Bill S. Wine 7 09-11-2008 04:59 AM
Kill-file growth Midlife Wine 19 08-04-2005 01:54 PM
Kill-file growth Midlife Wine 0 07-04-2005 03:13 AM