Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Budget Stretching Meals

I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
still eat good. If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
it would be a huge help. I'm a big veggie user because I grow veggies
and they are cheap here most times, I use a lot so any recipe I post
will likely be heavy on the veggies. I also think one pot meals
especially soups are general budget stretchers. BTW, I posted a nice
carrot soup recipe that is filling and inexpensive to make.

Ok there are two recipes following - spud special potato soup and
breadmaker french bread (but you can make it manually and bake in the
oven). This combination goes well together and is rather inexpensive.

Spud Special
3 tbsp butter or margarine
1 lg onion sliced
1/2 c thinly sliced carrot
1/2 c diced celery
1 clove garlic, minced
4 c diced potatoes
2 c chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes [fresh is nicer]
2 c milk
1/2 grated cheddar cheese [optional]

Put the first 5 ingredients into a large saucepan. Sautee vegetables
until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, chicken stock, salt, pepper
and parsley. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer slowly until vegetables
are cooked. Stir in milk. Heat without boiling. Garnish with grated
cheese if desired. This will make a gererous 5 cups of soup.

French Bread (ABM)
1 1/4 c water
1 tbsp shortening
1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting. Alternately
use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When done transfer
either to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400 F until loaf
sounds hollow and is golden brown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
> but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
> still eat good.

I roasted an $8.15 chicken, served with mashed potatoes, stuffing,
gravy, green beans on day 1. Day two was reheated leftovers. Day
three, today, was hot chicken sandwiches, with enough chicken left for a
salad tomorrow, with biscuits. The bones and scraps are in the freezer
waiting to be made into stock. This is for just two of us, but they're
still inexpensive meals. I could go on, with potroast, day two-
leftovers and day three, what's left in a pie with some added veg. Lots
of ways to stretch the dollar.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her
> situation but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their
> food dollars yet still eat good. If everyone posts one budget
> stretching homecooked meal it would be a huge help.

> Ok there are two recipes following - spud special potato soup and
> breadmaker french bread (but you can make it manually and bake in the
> oven). This combination goes well together and is rather inexpensive.
>
> Spud Special
> 3 tbsp butter or margarine
> 1 lg onion sliced
> 1/2 c thinly sliced carrot
> 1/2 c diced celery
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 4 c diced potatoes
> 2 c chicken stock
> 1 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp pepper
> 1 tsp parsley flakes [fresh is nicer]
> 2 c milk
> 1/2 grated cheddar cheese [optional]
>
> Put the first 5 ingredients into a large saucepan. Sautee vegetables
> until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, chicken stock, salt,
> pepper and parsley. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer slowly until
> vegetables are cooked. Stir in milk. Heat without boiling. Garnish
> with grated cheese if desired. This will make a gererous 5 cups of
> soup.
>
> French Bread (ABM)
> 1 1/4 c water
> 1 tbsp shortening
> 1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
> 1 1/4 tsp salt
> 3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
> 1 1/2 tsp yeast
>
> Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting.
> Alternately use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When
> done transfer either to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400
> F until loaf sounds hollow and is golden brown.

I don't have specific recipes to offer at the moment, just some general
observations.

Chuck roast makes a lovely and tender braised roast. It's an inexpensive
and tasty cut of meat. The key is to slow cook it with liquid, be it water
with some seasonings, broth, or stock. If you have a crock pot/slow cooker,
throw it in there and let it cook all day on low while you're at work or off
doing other things. (To me, it tastes better if you brown it in oil first.)
You can add vegetables as you wish - onion, carrots, potatoes, parsnips,
whatever. If you have a family of four, a 5 lb. chuck roast with veggies,
either cooked with the roast or on the side, should offer a couple of meals.

Someone in another thread seemed to think the use of bay leaves require an
education. Uh, not really... just throw them into the liquid and fish them
out when the meal is done. Bay leaves are wonderful, simple things.

Another simple dish is roasted chicken. A whole chicken is very
inexpensive, particularly when you compare it to the price of buying
skinless/boneless (or even the bone-in) chicken breast halves. If you're
worried about the fat from the skin on a chicken, get your fingers under it
and peel the skin off. It's not that difficult (except you probably can't
peel the wings LOL). However, I find the skin pretty much essential to a
moist, roast chicken and you don't have to eat the skin itself.

The key is (and this harks back to the kitchen equipment thread) a pan to
roast it in. When I was a bride I bought an roasting/broiler pan. It's
basically a roasting pan with a slotted insert that fit over the top for
when you want to broil stuff and have the fat drip down below. Looked
similar to this:

http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/images/SBP-912.jpg

You can pick something like this up at almost any discount or even a drug
store like Walgreen's for under $10.

Back in the day, I didn't know a thing about roasting a chicken. I read a
Betty Crocker recipe and it pretty much just said to sprinkle the chicken
with salt & pepper (including inside the cavity of the chicken). It wasn't
until much later I discovered the joys of tarragon (which I forgot to add to
your seasoning list), lemon, etc.). I roasted the chicken in the pan
without the rack and used a spoon to spoon the pan juices over it a few
times as it roasted to make the skin golden brown. I don't pay much
attention to specific recipes now, but I think I roasted a 3 lb. chicken at
375-400F for an hour and a half. The old test was to poke it with a fork
between the leg and the breast and if the juices ran clear (rather than
pink) it was done. Another test was to jiggle the leg. Maybe *that's* the
stuff we need to teach the "I don't know how to cook" generation

At any rate, a whole chicken stretches a long way. The carcass and any meat
which remains on the carcass (usually much more than people think) can be
used to make broth or stock. Only takes an onion and a carrot or two with
water to make broth or stock.

With the stock, you can make chicken & noodles or chicken and rice or
chicken and dumplings.

Granted, I don't cook for a family of 3-4 people. But when I was at the
grocery store last week I spent $70 and I got a LOT of food. Ground beef
was on sale in these "family packs" larger than I'd ever seen; I got almost
6 lbs. for $6. I broke it up into 1 pound packages in freezer bags and made
room in my freezer. I bought a lovely lean 4 lb. corned beef brisket for
$6; it was probably priced for St. Patrick's day but for a family of four or
even six people if served along with cabbage and maybe boiled potatoes,
quite a nice meal for under $10. For someone like me (or for a family of 2
adults), 3-4 meals.

I also bought dried pasta (don't make my own; no room to roll it out) and
jarred sauces which of course I'll enhance; frozen vegetables since I don't
have any place to grow my own.

Fresh vegetables (yellow squash, which I love, is just coming into season
and a straggler of acorn squash which is going out of season).

I got some nice (supermarket) bakery bread which I find is not only better
tasting but often on sale (they get afraid it will have to be marked "day
old" or "two day old") but also better in terms of ingredients if you read
the label on Wonder Bread products. I wrap it up well and stick it in the
freezer. No, I don't have a large freezer; just the one on top of my
refrigerator. Somehow, I make things fit

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:00:51 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
>but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
>still eat good. If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
>it would be a huge help.

Here's a nice one using ground beef:

Cabbage Roll Casserole

(If you have a favourite family cabbage roll recipe, you can use those
ingredients instead of the ones I use.)

1. Coarsely chop up a large green cabbage. Put the pieces in a large
roasting pan or cast iron dutch oven.

2. Mix a pound of *raw* ground beef with some cooked rice. The amount
of rice isn't important - the more you use, the further this will
stretch. I usually use 2 cups. Dump this mixture on top of the
cabbage.

3. Dice up 4 slices of bacon. In a large skillet, fry this up along
with some chopped onion. I usually use one very large onion. (You may
need to add a bit of oil to this.) Stir in a tablespoon of paprika.
When cooked, spoon this on top of the ground beef mixture.

4. Open up a small can (12 oz, I think) of tomato sauce, and dump it
in a bowl. Add to this about 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup
lemon juice. Add a bit of hot water and mix well. Pour over everything
else, making sure some of the sauce drips down past the meat into the
cabbage.

5. Cook this at about 250F for at least 3 hours.

Serves six to eight, depending on how hungry they are. Freezes
extremely well in single servings.

Cost (if not purchased on special):

Cabbage $1.00
Ground beef 4.00
Rice .25
Bacon 1.00
Tomato sauce .75
Other n/a

Total $7.00 or about $1.00 per serving

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message

> French Bread (ABM)
> 1 1/4 c water
> 1 tbsp shortening
> 1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
> 1 1/4 tsp salt
> 3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
> 1 1/2 tsp yeast
>
> Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting. Alternately
> use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When done transfer either
> to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400 F until loaf sounds hollow
> and is golden brown.

I've never baked bread before, and I don't have a bread machine. Could you
please explain in more detail how to make it without the machine. Or does
anyone else have a good recipe? Do homemade loaves freeze well? We don't
use a lot of bread, so I always freeze it.

Thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

here's a very simple and quick one that's saved me a few times...

(Sorry - I'm not one for exact measurements as my meals are usually
made up of what I can find leftover in the fridge/cupboard...)

Hot & Sour Fried Noodles

Handful of shredded cabbage
About a teaspoon of minced garlic
A chopped up onion
Bit of mince (chopped up left over meat will also do)
Dried vermicelli
Tom yum paste
Oil

Place dried vermicelli in a bowl.

Pour boiling water over dried vermicelli and leave to soak for about 5
minutes while you cook the other things.

Heat some oil in a wok/pan and add the garlic and onion.

When onion is "see through" cooked, add mince.

When mince half cooked, add cabbage. Drain water from vermicelli and
add to wok along with about a tbs of tom yum paste and fry until
cabbage is cooked.

Plate up and eat.
Add lemon juice to taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:28:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>

>> French Bread (ABM)
>> 1 1/4 c water
>> 1 tbsp shortening
>> 1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
>> 1 1/4 tsp salt
>> 3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
>> 1 1/2 tsp yeast
>>
>> Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting.
>> Alternately use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When done
>> transfer either to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400 F until
>> loaf sounds hollow and is golden brown.

> I've never baked bread before, and I don't have a bread machine. Could
> you please explain in more detail how to make it without the machine.
> Or does anyone else have a good recipe? Do homemade loaves freeze well?
> We don't use a lot of bread, so I always freeze it.

I have made this recipe for years and find it quite easy to make. It's
important to weigh the flour for accuracy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Classic French Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

2 pk Active dry yeast
2 1/2 c Tepid water
2 lb +3 oz hard wheat flour
[mixed with unbleached white
[flour, or just unbleached
[white flour - mix them half
[and half
1 t Salt dissolved in
1 t Water
Cornmeal
Additional flour

Dissolve the yeast in the water. (Tepid: not hot, not cool, but barely
warm.) Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve.

Using a small paper sack on your scale, weigh out a total of 2 pounds
and 3 ounces of flour. (If you can't get hard wheat flour, use a good
unbleached white.)

Make a sponge of the water and yeast, together with 4 cups of the
weighed-out flour. Whip for 10 minutes with an electric mixer. It will
pull away from the side of the mixing bowl.

Add the salted water. Add the remaining flour and knead for 5 minutes
in a good machine, or 15 minutes by hand.

Place on formica counter, or on a piece of plastic wrap, and cover with
a large metal bowl. Let rise for 2 hours. Punch down, and let rise for
another 1-1/2 hours.

Punch down again, and mold into 2 loaves. Let the loaves rise. I use
an extra oven with a pan of hot water in the bottom. This allows for
steam heat, perfect for raising dough. Place the loaves on a greased
baking sheet before letting them rise; you may wish to place cornmeal on
the greased baking sheet.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. When the loaves have risen to double
in original bulk, place them in the upper one-third of the oven.
IMPORTANT: Place a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf. This will
assure you of a great crust.

Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the bread is nicely
browned and the loaves sound hollow when you thump their bottoms with
your finger.

If you wish an old-world look to your bread, simply dust the loaves with
flour before the final rising. You can use an egg and water glaze, but
I am convinced that you will get a much better crust if you simply use
flour.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:28:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> 2 pk Active dry yeast
> 2 1/2 c Tepid water
> 2 lb +3 oz hard wheat flour
> [mixed with unbleached white
> [flour, or just unbleached
> [white flour - mix them half
> [and half
> 1 t Salt dissolved in
> 1 t Water
> Cornmeal
> Additional flour

That sounds great! Just a few questions though!

Is that 1 teaspoon salt and water, or 1 tablespoon?

Does it matter if it's risen for longer, in case I have to go out or
something?

Does it freeze well?

Thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 12:15:13a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:28:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

>> 2 pk Active dry yeast
>> 2 1/2 c Tepid water
>> 2 lb +3 oz hard wheat flour
>> [mixed with unbleached white
>> [flour, or just unbleached
>> [white flour - mix them half
>> [and half
>> 1 t Salt dissolved in
>> 1 t Water
>> Cornmeal
>> Additional flour

> That sounds great! Just a few questions though!
>
> Is that 1 teaspoon salt and water, or 1 tablespoon?

Sorry, that's 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of water.

> Does it matter if it's risen for longer, in case I have to go out or
> something?

Actually, the longer the rise the better the flavor. It will rise more
slowly in a cooler room. Try not to let it rise much more than double in
bulk.

> Does it freeze well?

Yes, extremely well. As soon as it's completely cool, wrap tightly in a
double layer of plastic wrap and freeze. I prefer to unwrap to before
thawing on a wire rack.

> Thanks.

You're welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
it would be a huge help<<

It is going to be different ingredients depending on where the poster
is, but generally beans, rice, pasta type combinations are going to
always reduce costs. Here's one of mine:

Salade de Lenteilles Auvergnaise

About a pound of large green lentils-- or other
1 carrot chopped very fine
1 1/2 small onion chopped fine
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cubes or spoons of vegetable broth beads or bouillon
about 2 ounces of country style ham cut into batons of about 1/3 inch
by 2"
about 1/4 cup good strong French style mustard
about 2 Tbsp of dry mustard powder mixed with water to form a creamy
paste and left to develop flavor

Warm a large heavy pot, and put in the oil, the carrots, onion and ham.
Sauté' until the onion is clear. Add the lentils, stirring them into
the mixture, then cover with hot water to about an inch over them.
Simmer until the lentils are almost done, adding water as needed, then
add salt but keep it just a little less salty than if you were eating
them alone.
Take about 1/3 of the lentils out of the pot and stir in the prepared
mustard. Start stirring in the homemade mustard and tasting. It should
go right up your nose without burning your tongue very badly. Take it
all the way to hot, stirring and tasting, because you have the other
lentils to draw back with if you go too far.
This should jump right on your tongue, make your nose run, and the
lentils should remain firmish. If they break up a bit, add more mustard
and then add back some of the whole ones.
Served warm as a first course, like soup.

That said, I find it useful to look at serving costs. For most meats
100 grams or 3.5 ounces is a serving, but that is of the meat. A bony
piece means a bigger serving, so it takes a little experience to figure
out if a lamb chop is pricier if you eat just one or if sausage is
cheaper when you know you'll eat three. Beef spareribs are cheap here
and make the most wonderful braises served over polenta usually. But
then I have to clean them up before serving and I toss a lot of fat and
bone. So if I can serve 6 people with a 1 kilo package and that
package costs $7.75 to $10.50, I'll do that rather than the chicken
which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown. I
can't feed 6 with one of those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
.19...
> On Thu 23 Mar 2006 12:15:13a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 28.19...
>>> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:28:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

>>> 2 pk Active dry yeast
>>> 2 1/2 c Tepid water
>>> 2 lb +3 oz hard wheat flour
>>> [mixed with unbleached white
>>> [flour, or just unbleached
>>> [white flour - mix them half
>>> [and half
>>> 1 t Salt dissolved in
>>> 1 t Water
>>> Cornmeal
>>> Additional flour

Just another thought. Can I just use plain white flour instead. I always
have that in the pantry. Sorry to bother you again.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 04:10:30a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> .19...
>> On Thu 23 Mar 2006 12:15:13a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> 28.19...

> Just another thought. Can I just use plain white flour instead. I
> always have that in the pantry. Sorry to bother you again.
>
> Jen

Yes, of course. It won't be quite the same, but it will still make a very
good bread. I have done this before when I've been out of bread flour.

Do let us know how it turns out for you.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>

>>French Bread (ABM)
>>1 1/4 c water
>>1 tbsp shortening
>>1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
>>1 1/4 tsp salt
>>3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
>>1 1/2 tsp yeast
>>
>>Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting. Alternately
>>use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When done transfer either
>>to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400 F until loaf sounds hollow
>>and is golden brown.

> I've never baked bread before, and I don't have a bread machine. Could you
> please explain in more detail how to make it without the machine. Or does
> anyone else have a good recipe? Do homemade loaves freeze well? We don't
> use a lot of bread, so I always freeze it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jen

Jen, homemade loaves freeze nicely as long as they are well wrapped. I
normally make whole wheat or multi-grain. Here is a link to a basic
white bread on recipesource. I chose this one because it has good
directions for making bread by hand. It makes 3 loaves.
http://recipesource.com/baked-goods/...3/rec0352.html

Just a couple of comments in general - I make the bread dough in the
breadmaker but bake the bread in the oven. I like the results better.
Sometimes I use the full bake cycle of the breadmaker but not very
often. If you are interested in buying a breadmaker but not sure if you
will use it enough, check the second hand stores and yard sales. I've
seen them as low as $5. If you decide just to go ahead and buy a
breadmaker, wait until around Christmas as they are always on sale for
bargin prices. Some of the newer models even have settings to make jam
or cake. It is a good idea to learn to bake bread my hand though and I
still do occasionally. It will give you a better guage to trouble shoot
if necessary. I recommend Breadtime by Susan Jane Cheney.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
> but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
> still eat good. If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
> it would be a huge help. I'm a big veggie user because I grow veggies
> and they are cheap here most times, I use a lot so any recipe I post
> will likely be heavy on the veggies. I also think one pot meals
> especially soups are general budget stretchers. BTW, I posted a nice
> carrot soup recipe that is filling and inexpensive to make.

I make "eggs in purgatory" once a week, at least. It's good with a salad
and some bread or roasted potatoes.

Eggs in purgatory:

1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tb olive oil
1 cup canned tomato puree or tomato sauce
1/4 tsp each dried oregano and basil
a pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
4 large eggs
a TB of grated parmesan

Cook the garlic for a minute over medium heat in a small skillet. Add
the tomato sauce and the seasonings. Simmer over a very low heat for
about 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
Using a spoon, make a well for each egg, and carefully slide the eggs
into the sauce. sprinkle with the cheese and a little bit more pepper.
Cover and cook over very low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the
eggs are done to your liking.
--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, ~patches~ wrote:

> Jen wrote:
>
>> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>>

>>> French Bread (ABM)
>>> 1 1/4 c water
>>> 1 tbsp shortening
>>> 1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
>>> 1 1/4 tsp salt
>>> 3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
>>> 1 1/2 tsp yeast
>>>
>>> Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting. Alternately
>>> use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When done transfer
>>> either to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400 F until loaf
>>> sounds hollow and is golden brown.

>> I've never baked bread before, and I don't have a bread machine. Could
>> you please explain in more detail how to make it without the machine. Or
>> does anyone else have a good recipe? Do homemade loaves freeze well? We
>> don't use a lot of bread, so I always freeze it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jen
>>

> Jen, homemade loaves freeze nicely as long as they are well wrapped. I
> normally make whole wheat or multi-grain. Here is a link to a basic white
> bread on recipesource. I chose this one because it has good directions for
> making bread by hand. It makes 3 loaves.
> http://recipesource.com/baked-goods/...3/rec0352.html
>
> Just a couple of comments in general - I make the bread dough in the
> breadmaker but bake the bread in the oven. I like the results better.
> Sometimes I use the full bake cycle of the breadmaker but not very often. If
> you are interested in buying a breadmaker but not sure if you will use it
> enough, check the second hand stores and yard sales. I've seen them as low
> as $5. If you decide just to go ahead and buy a breadmaker, wait until
> around Christmas as they are always on sale for bargin prices. Some of the
> newer models even have settings to make jam or cake. It is a good idea to
> learn to bake bread my hand though and I still do occasionally. It will give
> you a better guage to trouble shoot if necessary. I recommend Breadtime by
> Susan Jane Cheney.

get a good breadbook. or find one in a store and read the first few
pages... it'll get yous tarted on what you need to know about proofing and
kneading etc.

lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lena B Katz wrote:

<snip>
>> and I still do occasionally. It will give you a better guage to
>> trouble shoot if necessary. I recommend Breadtime by Susan Jane Cheney.
>>

> get a good breadbook. or find one in a store and read the first few
> pages... it'll get yous tarted on what you need to know about proofing
> and kneading etc.

Breadtime is one of the best bread books out there. It explains
ingredients, what they do, how to use them, how to substitute, and has a
multitude of recipes from yeast breads, breadmachine breads, flat
breads, and more. I highly recommend it. Next to that Breadmachine
Magic is a good book if using a breadmaker.

> lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll do that rather than the chicken
> which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown. I
> can't feed 6 with one of those.

Judith,

Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
$4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > writes:

>> I'll do that rather than the chicken
>> which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown. I
>> can't feed 6 with one of those.

>Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
>$4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
>much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!

I can't speak for Judith, but I live in Kansas and chicken is 2.99 to
4.99 per pound. The cheaper prices are the bone-in pieces or the whole
chicken, and the more expensive is the bs chicken breasts. Sometimes
older chicken, or chicken which froze on the way to the store, will be
BOGO, otherwise expect to pay a lot.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:
> "Ken" > writes:
>
>>> I'll do that rather than the chicken
>>> which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown. I
>>> can't feed 6 with one of those.

>> Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
>> $4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
>> much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!

> I can't speak for Judith, but I live in Kansas and chicken is 2.99 to
> 4.99 per pound. The cheaper prices are the bone-in pieces or the whole
> chicken, and the more expensive is the bs chicken breasts. Sometimes
> older chicken, or chicken which froze on the way to the store, will be
> BOGO, otherwise expect to pay a lot.
>
> Stacia

I feel so terribly blessed to be able to shop at a military commisary.
One of the BEST things there are the meat prices...

Boneless, skinless chicken breast cost only $1.99 a pound! and that is
for "name brand" stuff (ie tysons...depends on the State I have found)
I will often by boneless skinless chicken thighs (to make things like
enchiladas with) for around $1.50/pound

I haven't ever tried to cook a whole chicken (I am ashamed) but I am
going to check out the price and try it!

Roberta (in VA)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> "Ken" > writes:
>

>>>I'll do that rather than the chicken
>>>which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown. I
>>>can't feed 6 with one of those.

>>Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
>>$4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
>>much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!

> I can't speak for Judith, but I live in Kansas and chicken is 2.99 to
> 4.99 per pound. The cheaper prices are the bone-in pieces or the whole
> chicken, and the more expensive is the bs chicken breasts. Sometimes
> older chicken, or chicken which froze on the way to the store, will be
> BOGO, otherwise expect to pay a lot.
>
> Stacia

One store has drumsticks or thighs on sale this week for $1.79/lb CDN.
Legs with backs attached are somewhere around that price but often go on
sale. Whole chickens and chicken wings are more expensive in the
stores. I pay $5 per dressed free range chicken which I think is a
pretty good deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:
> "Ken" > writes:
>

>>>I'll do that rather than the chicken
>>>which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown. I
>>>can't feed 6 with one of those.

>>Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
>>$4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
>>much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!

> I can't speak for Judith, but I live in Kansas and chicken is 2.99 to
> 4.99 per pound. The cheaper prices are the bone-in pieces or the whole
> chicken, and the more expensive is the bs chicken breasts. Sometimes
> older chicken, or chicken which froze on the way to the store, will be
> BOGO, otherwise expect to pay a lot.
>
> Stacia

I think Stacia thought Judith was talking about whole chickens, not
boneless chicken parts. Around here (Detroit), I can get whole chickens
for .69 a pound regular price, chicken leg quarters for .49 a pound. I'm
not sure what the regular price for boneless breasts is, because I only
buy them when they are 1.99 a pound or less.

--

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
> but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
> still eat good. If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
> it would be a huge help. I'm a big veggie user because I grow veggies
> and they are cheap here most times, I use a lot so any recipe I post
> will likely be heavy on the veggies. I also think one pot meals
> especially soups are general budget stretchers. BTW, I posted a nice
> carrot soup recipe that is filling and inexpensive to make.
>
> Ok there are two recipes following - spud special potato soup and
> breadmaker french bread (but you can make it manually and bake in the
> oven). This combination goes well together and is rather inexpensive.
>
> Spud Special
> 3 tbsp butter or margarine
> 1 lg onion sliced
> 1/2 c thinly sliced carrot
> 1/2 c diced celery
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 4 c diced potatoes
> 2 c chicken stock
> 1 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp pepper
> 1 tsp parsley flakes [fresh is nicer]
> 2 c milk
> 1/2 grated cheddar cheese [optional]
>
> Put the first 5 ingredients into a large saucepan. Sautee vegetables
> until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, chicken stock, salt, pepper
> and parsley. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer slowly until vegetables
> are cooked. Stir in milk. Heat without boiling. Garnish with grated
> cheese if desired. This will make a gererous 5 cups of soup.
>
> French Bread (ABM)
> 1 1/4 c water
> 1 tbsp shortening
> 1 tbsp sugar [raw or honey]
> 1 1/4 tsp salt
> 3 1/2 c white flour [unbleached]
> 1 1/2 tsp yeast
>
> Put ingredients into breadmaker pan. Select dough setting. Alternately
> use a mixer or even mix by hand then let proof. When done transfer
> either to loaf pan or shape on cookie sheet. Bake 400 F until loaf
> sounds hollow and is golden brown.

Margarine and shortening are culinary Darwinism. They kill people with
trashy enough taste and poor judgement enough to consider them
ingredients.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> If you're
> worried about the fat from the skin on a chicken, get your fingers under it
> and peel the skin off. It's not that difficult (except you probably can't
> peel the wings LOL). However, I find the skin pretty much essential to a
> moist, roast chicken and you don't have to eat the skin itself.

Correct. You should never remove the skin before roasting.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> I'll do that rather than the chicken
>> which costs, I kid you not, almost $4.50 a pound for factory grown.
>> I can't feed 6 with one of those.

> Judith,
>
> Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
> $4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale
> for much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!
>
> Ken

I believe Judith lives in Umbria (Italy) and she was probably talking about
a whole chicken.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
>>but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
>>still eat good. If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
>>it would be a huge help. I'm a big veggie user because I grow veggies
>>and they are cheap here most times, I use a lot so any recipe I post
>>will likely be heavy on the veggies. I also think one pot meals
>>especially soups are general budget stretchers. BTW, I posted a nice
>>carrot soup recipe that is filling and inexpensive to make.

<snip>
> Margarine and shortening are culinary Darwinism. They kill people with
> trashy enough taste and poor judgement enough to consider them
> ingredients.

I don't know about that but I don't use margarine. We're a butter
family period and always have been. The majority of the recipes I post
reflect that by using [butter] wherever margarine appears in the recipe.
I must have forgot it when typing out the recipes, so I do
apologize. I use vegetable shortening in very small amounts on
occasion. I doubt I would go through more than a pound in a couple of
years but I still use it. I don't see your point either since some
people choose to use both and that is their prerogative. You are
certainly free to ignore the recipes as posted and let others make up
their own minds

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> I can't speak for Judith, but I live in Kansas and chicken is 2.99
> to 4.99 per pound. The cheaper prices are the bone-in pieces or the
> whole chicken, and the more expensive is the bs chicken breasts.
> Sometimes older chicken, or chicken which froze on the way to the
> store, will be BOGO, otherwise expect to pay a lot.

$2.99 a pound for whole chickens? In Kansas? Pardon while I scoff. Over
here in Missouri, the standard non-sale price for whole fryers is $1.39
a pound or so. On sale, somewhere at $.99 - $.69.

And while boneless, skinless breasts are usually priced at over $4 a
pound, they're a typical loss-leader sale item at about half that. In
fact, they are right now, along with $1.99 chuck roasts (Schnucks).

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 23 Mar 2006 04:10:30a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> Yes, of course. It won't be quite the same, but it will still make a very
> good bread. I have done this before when I've been out of bread flour.
>
> Do let us know how it turns out for you.

I will. Thanks

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett > writes:
>Glitter Ninja wrote:

>>>Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
>>>$4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
>>>much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow!

>> I can't speak for Judith, but I live in Kansas and chicken is 2.99 to
>> 4.99 per pound.

>I think Stacia thought Judith was talking about whole chickens, not
>boneless chicken parts.

I confess to not being able to keep up with you guys and the threads
around here *laugh* But Ken asked Judith where she lived, because he
had never heard of chicken at $4.50 a pound. And I don't know where
Judith lives, but I can sympathize with how much she pays for chicken,
because it's expensive here, too.
And I get really irritated by that because we're in Kansas -- food
should be cheap! There's chickens all over the place, fercryinoutloud.
Cows, too. And corn!
But you're right, the whole or bone-in chicken is cheaper than the
boneless.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> I kind of started this thread once another poster told of her situation
> but it could likely help anyone trying to stretch their food dollars yet
> still eat good. If everyone posts one budget stretching homecooked meal
> it would be a huge help. I'm a big veggie user because I grow veggies
> and they are cheap here most times, I use a lot so any recipe I post
> will likely be heavy on the veggies. I also think one pot meals
> especially soups are general budget stretchers. BTW, I posted a nice
> carrot soup recipe that is filling and inexpensive to make.

This can be made vegetarian or not. We like it both ways.

Pinto Beans

1 lb dry pinto beans
water to cover by an inch or more
8 oz can of tomato sauce (if using fresh tomatoes)
or
15/16 oz can diced tomatoes with juice undrained
2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced (replace with canned when out of season)
1/2 pound bacon (optional)
6 ribs celery, diced
bunch scallions, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Put the beans and water in a crock pot, on high, for two hours.
Reduce to low, add tomato sauce (or canned tomatoes) and cook for
another hour.

Dice up the bacon (I use kitchen shears), and cook over medium heat
until browned and crisp. Add the celery and the scallions and cook to
soften the celery and wilt the scallions. Dump the whole mess into the
crock pot, stir and season with salt and pepper. Add the diced
tomatoes, if you are using fresh. Cover and cook a little while longer
while you prepare rice to serve with it.

I sometimes use frozen peppers sauteed with the veggies, leaving out
the bacon and using olive oil to cook them.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> I make "eggs in purgatory" once a week, at least. It's good with a salad
> and some bread or roasted potatoes.
>
> Eggs in purgatory:

I am so curious about the name of this dish. Any idea where it
originated? Thanks.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article > ,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>

>>I make "eggs in purgatory" once a week, at least. It's good with a salad
>>and some bread or roasted potatoes.
>>
>>Eggs in purgatory:

> I am so curious about the name of this dish. Any idea where it
> originated? Thanks.

Well, I first heard of it from reading 'The Sopranos Cookbook', but
sonmce then I've seen it a few other places. My mom says it reminds her
of an Israeli egg and tomato dish, but I cant remember what it's called.
--

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at
$4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for

much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow! <<

I live in Umbria -- central Italy. I was translating for weight and
for the debased dollar, but that was the price for whole chicken
Monday. Parts were higher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:28:03 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>Here in expensive California, we generally wait until it goes on sale
>for US$.69 a pound to buy whole chickens.

I'm in Washington, and I think ours is on sale for $0.99 a pound. I
know it is on sale, I was suprised that a raw whole chicken was still
almost $6. They sell roasted in the deli for $6.99. I'd rather pay the
buck more and have it already cooked and ready to eat. Saves me the
time of cooking and the effort of cleaning.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:51:39 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> I make "eggs in purgatory" once a week, at least. It's good with a salad
> and some bread or roasted potatoes.

<recipe snipped>

Looks good. It reminds me of one I saw on Food TV before they dumbed it down so
much -- I believe the show was "Melting Pot". The eggs are not poached in this
dish as they are in yours, but the idea is similar, and it looks pretty tasty.
Since it's an economical dish, I'll include it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Nana's Egg Curry & Rice

Recipe By :courtesy Jennifer Mangum
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Eggs Entree
Grains

1 dozen hard boiled eggs -- peeled
1/8 cup cilantro -- chopped
SPICE BLEND:
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 ounces water
ONION MIXTU
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger -- chopped
6 cloves garlic -- chopped (6-8)
TOMATO MIXTU
6 medium tomatoes -- (6-8) chopped, OR
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 pinch sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
RICE:
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cups basmati rice
3 cups hot water
salt -- to taste
6 cardamom seeds
6 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
2 drops red indian dye/food coloring -- (2-3)

Mix spices with vinegar and water to make a thin paste. Set aside.

Heat a large pot over medium flame and pour vegetable oil in. Add onion, ginger
and garlic into pot and saute until golden brown.

Add spice blend to onion mixture. Add more water in small amounts if mixture
begins to stick.

Add chopped tomatoes to onion mixture. Pour tomato sauce into a 2-cup measuring
cup and add enough water to make 2 cups of sauce. Add to onion mixture and
simmer for 20 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper.

Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Add eggs to sauce. Top with cilantro. Serve over
rice.

Rice: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Add oil to a medium (oven proof) saucepan or stockpot. Add rice and saute until
the grains turn white. Add water, salt and spices and stir. When rice comes to a
boil, cover, remove from stovetop and then place in oven for 20 minutes. Remove
from oven, add a few drops of coloring and fluff with a fork to add color. The
idea is to have patches of red & white, not a uniform pink color.

Yield: 6 servings

Cuisine:
"Indian"
Source:
"TV Food Network - Episode #CA1C09"
S(Formatted by):
"N. Braswell, Apr-06-2003"
T(Cooking time):
"0:30"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 559 Calories; 26g Fat (39.8% calories
from fat); 21g Protein; 65g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 424mg Cholesterol;
520mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 3 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 903236 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2130706543 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
253 0 0 3314

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judith Umbria wrote:
> >>Just for curiosity's sake: Where do you live with chicken at

> $4.50/pound. Here in California, I can get a whole chicken on sale for
>
> much less than $1/pound. $4.50/pound, wow! <<
>
> I live in Umbria -- central Italy. I was translating for weight and
> for the debased dollar, but that was the price for whole chicken
> Monday. Parts were higher.

Judith,

Funny, you live in Central Italy and I live in Central California. I
knew the dollar had fallen, but I didn't know it had fallen that much.
I can get name brand, no hormone chicken pieces for .69-.99/pound. So
here, chicken is the budget meat and beef is much more expensive.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Funny, you live in Central Italy and I live in Central California. I
knew the dollar had fallen, but I didn't know it had fallen that much.
I can get name brand, no hormone chicken pieces for .69-.99/pound. So
here, chicken is the budget meat and beef is much more expensive. <<

The official rate it a little over $1.19 to the euro, but you don't get
that, plus there are fees. I just use $1.20. So house made sausages
at €5.70 kilo comes in at about $3.50 a pound, and that's usually the
cheapest meat there is. Protein costs.
Beef is not often found, but vitellone, what you'd call baby beef is
common. Scottona, a bit older, is rarer and closer to what one was
used to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judith Umbria wrote:
> >>Funny, you live in Central Italy and I live in Central California. I

> knew the dollar had fallen, but I didn't know it had fallen that much.
> I can get name brand, no hormone chicken pieces for .69-.99/pound. So
> here, chicken is the budget meat and beef is much more expensive. <<
>
> The official rate it a little over $1.19 to the euro, but you don't get
> that, plus there are fees. I just use $1.20. So house made sausages
> at €5.70 kilo comes in at about $3.50 a pound, and that's usually the
> cheapest meat there is. Protein costs.
> Beef is not often found, but vitellone, what you'd call baby beef is
> common. Scottona, a bit older, is rarer and closer to what one was
> used to.

Judith,

I had a funny thing happen recently and I think the super cheap chicken
prices was the cause.

A meeting was being held in the banquet room of a nearby, cheap Chinese
place. I'd never eaten there, and it was traditional cheap, greasy,
American food called Chinese. I ordered chicken with eggplant. When
it came, it was almost all chicken and almost no eggplant. I like more
vegies than meat, so I was trying to figure it out. Finally it
occurred to me: They can buy the chicken cheaper than they can buy the
eggplant. Chicken is so cheap, it's a filler.

It seems that in the U.S., things are either unbelievably cheap or
unbelievably expensive. I can go to any dollar store and get a hand
held calculator, but a box of cereal is $4. And I can buy steak for
less than the cereal. Right now, it seems that chicken has fallen into
the unbelievably cheap category.

Even with the expensive meat, I wish I was in Italy right now.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in
oups.com:

> It seems that in the U.S., things are either unbelievably cheap or
> unbelievably expensive. I can go to any dollar store and get a hand
> held calculator, but a box of cereal is $4. And I can buy steak for
> less than the cereal. Right now, it seems that chicken has fallen into
> the unbelievably cheap category.

And you wonder why the cows are going mad? SORRY!

Folks are getting the sat. fat. message, I think. I'm not too thrilled
about the chicken, 'cause of it's share of cholesterol.

McDonald's is probably the last cash cow left in America, so to speak.
Ever lookk at the nutrition data McD DOES list? There's more sodium in
the bun than the fries.

Fast food sucks no matter if Paris Hilton slobbers grease down her chin
from eating a monters burger enjoying it like it was ***. Those ad-men.

Forgive me for drifting a tad OT!

Andy