Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default replacement for butter on cabbage?

Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
> green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
> have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
> one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jw 1111 wrote:

> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley

"brockley"...heehee....

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jw 1111 wrote:
> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
>
>>green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
>>have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
>>one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

Nutmeg OR
lemon juice and/or
anchovy (;possibly dissolved in hot olive oil)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:11:00 GMT, "jw 1111"
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
> >> green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
> >> have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
> >> one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

> I put Sriracha sauce on my cabbage. And butter.

Ok, I'll bite since we eat a lot of cabbage - what is Sriracha?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L wrote:

> Ok, I'll bite since we eat a lot of cabbage - what is Sriracha?

Asian chile-garlic sauce.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sriracha

I'd have to say it's my favorite condiment.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:11:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jw 1111?

> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
>> green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
>> have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
>> one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

I often add fat-free sour cream to chopped, lightly steamed cabbage, along
with a sprinkling of caraway seed.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
> > green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our

family
> > have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
> > one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

Now, back in the Jurrassic Era when I was a kid the only way I could get
cabbage past my nose was to drown it in catsup -- NOTHING helped with the
broccoli.
I still use catsup on sour kraut on a hot dog.

Lefty

--
Life is for learning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jw 1111" > wrote:

> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
> > green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
> > have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
> > one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

A light sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper and a little EVOO.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I often add fat-free sour cream to chopped, lightly steamed cabbage, along
> with a sprinkling of caraway seed.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo
> ____________________

Damn, that sounds good Wayne. I love cabbage, but I seldom cook it
since DH is still traumatized by childhood memories of stinky, boiled
to mush, gray cabbage. Betting that once I've dolled it up with a
little sour cream & caraway and nestled it next to a nice juicy pork
chop he'll be enjoying steamed cabbage before he knows it...I got him
over the Brussels Sprouts hurdle, so there's hope. Thanks for the good
idea!

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 11:56:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
ntantiques?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> I often add fat-free sour cream to chopped, lightly steamed cabbage,
>> along with a sprinkling of caraway seed.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
>>

> Damn, that sounds good Wayne. I love cabbage, but I seldom cook it
> since DH is still traumatized by childhood memories of stinky, boiled
> to mush, gray cabbage. Betting that once I've dolled it up with a
> little sour cream & caraway and nestled it next to a nice juicy pork
> chop he'll be enjoying steamed cabbage before he knows it...I got him
> over the Brussels Sprouts hurdle, so there's hope. Thanks for the good
> idea!

You're welcome, Nancy! It will great with a pork chop. Keep it a little
crisp. Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "jw 1111" > wrote:
>
>> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and
>> other
>> > green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our
>> > family have stopped using butter is there an alternative (
>> > preferably a healthy one) that we can use to put on the cabbage.
>> > many thanks.

> A light sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper and a little EVOO.

I like cabbage cooked quickly so that it's still crisp and then sprinkled
with soy sauce. Lemon juice is also good on some green vegies.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jw 1111 wrote:
> Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
> > green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
> > have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
> > one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

....maybe Oyster sauce. I'd try some nut oils (Sesame, Grapeseed, etc),
and Olive oils, those are usually flavoursome. Mint sauce?

....someone told me "a bit of something you fancy does you good"... so
maybe a bit of butter is okay. The flavour of butter is quite unique,
probably hard to substitute.

"I can't believe it's not butter"....?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en... ter%22&meta=

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> jw 1111 wrote:
>
>>Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
>>
>>>green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting. Since our family
>>>have stopped using butter is there an alternative ( preferably a healthy
>>>one) that we can use to put on the cabbage. many thanks.

> ...maybe Oyster sauce. I'd try some nut oils (Sesame, Grapeseed, etc),
> and Olive oils, those are usually flavoursome. Mint sauce?
>
> ...someone told me "a bit of something you fancy does you good"... so
> maybe a bit of butter is okay. The flavour of butter is quite unique,
> probably hard to substitute.

Agree, a little pat of butter adds a lot of taste and none of the "space
butter" products even come close.

> "I can't believe it's not butter"....?
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en... ter%22&meta=

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2006 18:29:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>

>>-L wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, I'll bite since we eat a lot of cabbage - what is Sriracha?

>>Asian chile-garlic sauce.
>>
>>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sriracha
>>
>>I'd have to say it's my favorite condiment.

> Huy Fong is 3X better than any other brand I've tried. Gotta have
> the green top. Goes great on avocados, too. Today I used it on
> scrambled eggs.

I always look for the rooster printed on the bottle and I also think it
is the best.

> I use a fair amount of their chili garlic paste as well.

Same here.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:11:00 GMT, "jw 1111"
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>We all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
>green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting.
>
>Since our family has stopped using butter is there an alternative(preferably a healthy one) that we can use to put on the cabbage?

We like EarthBalance. We find the texture to be the closest to
butter, and it's the first vegan margarine we've liked, rather than
just tolerated. Doesn't hurt that it's healthier (no transfats, etc.)
than margarine.

http://www.earthbalance.net

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> jw 1111 wrote:
>
> > Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley

> "brockley"...heehee....

Bay-coon greeze...heehee....

Sheldon Remus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> jw 1111 wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, we all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley

>> "brockley"...heehee....

>Bay-coon greeze...heehee....
>
>Sheldon Remus

Having tried all the revolting alternatives, I'm sticking with decent
butter... Normandy, un-salted for preference.
--
Chris Hughes
"Reality is that which, when you cease to believe, continues to exist."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Major wrote :

>>Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> "brockley"...heehee....

>>Bay-coon greeze...heehee....
>>
>>Sheldon Remus
>>

> Having tried all the revolting alternatives, I'm sticking with decent
> butter... Normandy, un-salted for preference.

Major,

We can explain away your "revolting alternatives" to a life of overdosing
on salted butter.

Take Control Light!

At ease!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Major wrote:
> >Gregory Morrow wrote:

> >> "brockley"...heehee....

> >Bay-coon greeze...heehee....
> >
> >Sheldon Remus
> >

> Having tried all the revolting alternatives, I'm sticking with decent
> butter.

Butter is okay but cabbage sauted with bacon is ambrosia.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message >, Andy >
writes
>The Major wrote :

>>>Bay-coon greeze...heehee....
>>>
>>>Sheldon Remus
>>>

>> Having tried all the revolting alternatives, I'm sticking with decent
>> butter... Normandy, un-salted for preference.

>Major,
>
>We can explain away your "revolting alternatives" to a life of overdosing
>on salted butter.
>
>Take Control Light!
>
>At ease!

Nah -- I've used unsalted butter for years... the revolting alternatives
contain rancid oils, produced by the heating required in the making of
them, and deodorants to mask the rancid smell... Delightful!
--
Chris Hughes
"Reality is that which, when you cease to believe, continues to exist."
http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Major > wrote in
:

> In message >, Andy >
> writes

>>> Having tried all the revolting alternatives, I'm sticking with decent
>>> butter... Normandy, un-salted for preference.

>>Major,
>>
>>We can explain away your "revolting alternatives" to a life of

overdosing
>>on salted butter.
>>
>>Take Control Light!
>>
>>At ease!
>>

> Nah -- I've used unsalted butter for years... the revolting

alternatives
> contain rancid oils, produced by the heating required in the making of
> them, and deodorants to mask the rancid smell... Delightful!

it's your health do as you please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> The Major wrote:

>> >Bay-coon greeze...heehee....
>> >
>> >Sheldon Remus
>> >

>> Having tried all the revolting alternatives, I'm sticking with decent
>> butter.

> Butter is okay but cabbage sauted with bacon is ambrosia.
>
> Sheldon

so what oil would you use to saute the bacon please?