Old 21-03-2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need Recipe for Lime Ricky Soda Drink

We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.

I think it was made with cherry syrup.

Thanks

Bruce

Old 21-03-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce K." wrote

We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.

I think it was made with cherry syrup.

How about this?

http://www.sodapopstop.com/recipes/recipes.cfm

Cherry/ Strawberry Lime Rickey:
1 bottle of Green River Soda, Cherry or Strawberry Syrup (2 tablespoon
or to taste),
Mix in tall glass (for extra kick add chopped maraschino cherries

nancy

Old 21-03-2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
"Bruce K." wrote

We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.

I think it was made with cherry syrup.

How about this?

http://www.sodapopstop.com/recipes/recipes.cfm

Cherry/ Strawberry Lime Rickey:
1 bottle of Green River Soda, Cherry or Strawberry Syrup (2 tablespoon or to taste),
Mix in tall glass (for extra kick add chopped maraschino cherries

That would be the Chicago version. I've never seen one made with bottled
soda. Green River soda was a Chicago/Midwest drink. Didn't really have
much distribution in the northeast. We had to make ours from scratch -
not as lucky as those Midwesterners.

Here's a picture of the cherry variant in a "Coke" glass.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/yahoo/65522133/1065522312044692859eaOMRx

A New England version.
http://www.hollyeats.com/images/NewEngland/Bartleys-RaspLimeRickey.jpg

Rickeys back in the 50's in the New York metro area were made with
fruit-flavored syrup, shaved ice and carbonated water.

Lime rickeys in my parents' soda fountain were made in a tall and narrow
glass. Building it from the bottom: lime syrup (about 1 1/2 ounces), a
squeeze of fresh lime (and a wedge or a few dropped into the glass),
carbonated water 1/2 way up the glass, shaved ice to fill about 3/4 of
the glass, carbonated water on top. The shaved ice floated, so a
maraschino cherry that they used for a garnish sat proudly on top of it
all. Drink with a straw. Any other flavor rickey used part lime syrup
and part the other flavor, to taste. The most popular flavors were plain
lime or other flavors based on lime, but augmented - cherry, strawberry
and orange (which was made with about 1/2 carbonated water and 1/2
orange juice with orange wedges added).

The glasses they were often served in were the tall highball glass
(10-12 ounces) called "rickey" or "collins" glasses in the northeastern
U.S. Sometimes also called "tall iced tea" glasses here in the south
where I live.

Here's a gin rickey
http://www.bolscocktails.com/cocktail-detail.asp?d=19553 as
interpreted by the gang at Bols.

The glass: http://www.awesomedrinks.com/glassware_collins.html
We used the frosted ones. I love the way the copywriter transformed a
glass we used 50 years ago into a hip 21st century number. "Futuristic
look"... Bwah...

Pastorio