Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need a bread doctor!

Okay, the first two times my wife made this, it came out perfect. It
rose nice and big, and it turned out very light and fluffy.

Ever since then, using the exact same recipe and methods, it has been
dense and flat. Can anyone help?

100% Whole Wheat Bread

4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
3 cup warm water, divided
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs oil
4 tsp salt
3 Tbs vital wheat gluten (this is what makes it fluffy without the
white flour)
5-6 cup whole wheat flour

1 Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C warm water. Add a pinch of sugar, if
desired. In a large bowl, combine remaining water, sugar, oil, salt,
gluten, and 2 C whole wheat flour. Stir mixture until smooth. Stir in
yeast mixture until smooth. Slowly add 3-4 C more whole wheat flour,
1/2 C at a time, mixing in each addition before adding the next. Knead
on floured surface for 10-12 minutes (or knead with stand mixer on
speed 2 for 10 minutes, which is what I do!).

2 Place dough in oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with warm, damp
towel and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, divide in half, and
form into loaves. Place each loaf of dough in an oiled loaf pan and
cover with warm, damp towel to rise for 1 hour.

3 Bake bread at 400F for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350F and
bake another 25-35 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://s9.bitefight.pl/c.php?uid=36730

Uzytkownik > napisal w wiadomosci
> Okay, the first two times my wife made this, it came out perfect. It
> rose nice and big, and it turned out very light and fluffy.
>
> Ever since then, using the exact same recipe and methods, it has been
> dense and flat. Can anyone help?
>
> 100% Whole Wheat Bread
>
> 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
> 3 cup warm water, divided
> 2 Tbs sugar
> 2 Tbs oil
> 4 tsp salt
> 3 Tbs vital wheat gluten (this is what makes it fluffy without the
> white flour)
> 5-6 cup whole wheat flour
>

> 1 Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C warm water. Add a pinch of sugar, if
> desired. In a large bowl, combine remaining water, sugar, oil, salt,
> gluten, and 2 C whole wheat flour. Stir mixture until smooth. Stir in
> yeast mixture until smooth. Slowly add 3-4 C more whole wheat flour,
> 1/2 C at a time, mixing in each addition before adding the next. Knead
> on floured surface for 10-12 minutes (or knead with stand mixer on
> speed 2 for 10 minutes, which is what I do!).
>
> 2 Place dough in oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with warm, damp
> towel and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, divide in half, and
> form into loaves. Place each loaf of dough in an oiled loaf pan and
> cover with warm, damp towel to rise for 1 hour.
>
> 3 Bake bread at 400F for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350F and
> bake another 25-35 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:20:12 +0100, "Hugo" > wrote:

>http://s9.bitefight.pl/c.php?uid=36730

I don't get it...at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:20:12 +0100, "Hugo" > wrote:

http://s9.bitefight.pl/c.php?uid=36730

> I don't get it...at all.

DUDE!!! He's telling you that eastern european vampires can fix your bread!
Just beware of the werewolves, it only seems like they are fixing your bread
but really they are just killing you.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" <> wrote in
:

> Okay, the first two times my wife made this, it came out perfect. It
> rose nice and big, and it turned out very light and fluffy.
>
> Ever since then, using the exact same recipe and methods, it has been
> dense and flat. Can anyone help?
>
> 100% Whole Wheat Bread
>
> 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
> 3 cup warm water, divided
> 2 Tbs sugar
> 2 Tbs oil
> 4 tsp salt
> 3 Tbs vital wheat gluten (this is what makes it fluffy without the
> white flour)
> 5-6 cup whole wheat flour
>

> 1 Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C warm water. Add a pinch of sugar, if
> desired. In a large bowl, combine remaining water, sugar, oil, salt,
> gluten, and 2 C whole wheat flour. Stir mixture until smooth. Stir in
> yeast mixture until smooth. Slowly add 3-4 C more whole wheat flour,
> 1/2 C at a time, mixing in each addition before adding the next. Knead
> on floured surface for 10-12 minutes (or knead with stand mixer on
> speed 2 for 10 minutes, which is what I do!).
>
> 2 Place dough in oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with warm, damp
> towel and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, divide in half, and
> form into loaves. Place each loaf of dough in an oiled loaf pan and
> cover with warm, damp towel to rise for 1 hour.
>
> 3 Bake bread at 400F for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350F and
> bake another 25-35 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

Was weather different, humidity can add water weight to flour? Are you
weighing flour or using a measuring cup? Is yeast alive when you add it
to water with sugar? It may not be very active because it is old. Are you
overworking it?

Try rec.food.baking the experts are there.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved