Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Enchiladas to die for!!

This special chicken enchilada recipe was developed over a period of
years by our family member, Uncle David, who is a real conniseur of
chile peppers. The sauce used in this recipe is critical to the unique
taste of these chicken enchiladas because it is made from aged red
chile peppers.

3 chicken breasts
½ to ¾ lb. shredded cheese (equal amounts sharp cheddar cheese &
jack cheese)
2 large cans of Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce
1 doz. medium size flour tortillas
2 small cans sliced black olives
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 medium sized tomato
3 yellow peppers
3 jalapeño peppers
lots of crushed garlic
a gob of fresh oregano

Boil the chicken in water until done and shred by hand into a bowl.
Grate the two types of cheese and mix together in another bowl.
Cut up everything else into very small pieces and mix together in a
third bowl.
Dip a flour tortilla very quickly in hot olive oil and blot with a
paper towel,
Then dip the oiled tortilla in warmed up echilada sauce.
Then evenly fill the wet tortilla with the grated cheese, pieces of
chicken & diced vegetable mix.
Roll the tortilla into an enchilada and place into a baking dish.
Repeat the process, placing the enchiladas as tightly packed in the
dishes as possible.
Pour the leftover warm enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
Bake at 300 degrees in a prewarmed oven for about 20-30 minutes.
Have a cold beer or two while they are cooking because the fragrance
will drive you crazy, otherwise!
Remove from oven and let them cool for a bit so that don't fall apart
when you serve them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeez, and I swore I wasn't going to cry. I used to make enchiladas
just like this -- though I added black beans, and poured some sauce on
the filling -- and like you say, they were to die for. Unfortunately
for some unknown reason New York has decided they don't need no
stinkin' enchilada sauce, and so it's harder to find here than
humility. And you can't make enchiladas without that sauce.

With spanish rice, refried beans and tortilla chips, you've got one of
my favorite meals in the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>Boil the chicken in water until done and shred by hand into a bowl.
Don't boil - poach
>Roll the tortilla into an enchilada and place into a baking dish.

Seam side down

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Jeez, and I swore I wasn't going to cry. I used to make enchiladas
> just like this -- though I added black beans, and poured some sauce on
> the filling -- and like you say, they were to die for. Unfortunately
> for some unknown reason New York has decided they don't need no
> stinkin' enchilada sauce, and so it's harder to find here than
> humility. And you can't make enchiladas without that sauce.

Heh ... I imagine you have a favorite brand? Surely someone can
send you some.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We swear by the Las Palmas brand-mustard yellow background on the label
with red chiles on the front. I would be happy to send you some if you
want...just send me a private e-mail to and you
can reimburse me after I send the cans!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Uncle David's instructions are not as perfect as your correct
assessment!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Zookeeper" > wrote in message
> roups.com...

>This special chicken enchilada recipe was developed over a period of
>years by our family member, Uncle David, who is a real conniseur of
>chile peppers. The sauce used in this recipe is critical to the unique
>taste of these chicken enchiladas because it is made from aged red
>chile peppers.

>3 chicken breasts
>½ to ¾ lb. shredded cheese (equal amounts sharp cheddar cheese &
>jack cheese)
>2 large cans of Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce
>1 doz. medium size flour tortillas
>2 small cans sliced black olives
>1 bunch green onions
>1 bunch of fresh cilantro
>1 medium sized tomato
>3 yellow peppers
>3 jalapeño peppers
>lots of crushed garlic
>a gob of fresh oregano

>Boil the chicken in water until done and shred by hand into a bowl.
>Grate the two types of cheese and mix together in another bowl.
>Cut up everything else into very small pieces and mix together in a
>third bowl.
>Dip a flour tortilla very quickly in hot olive oil and blot with a
>paper towel,
>Then dip the oiled tortilla in warmed up echilada sauce.
>Then evenly fill the wet tortilla with the grated cheese, pieces of
>chicken & diced vegetable mix.
>Roll the tortilla into an enchilada and place into a baking dish.
>Repeat the process, placing the enchiladas as tightly packed in the
>dishes as possible.
>Pour the leftover warm enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
>Bake at 300 degrees in a prewarmed oven for about 20-30 minutes.
>Have a cold beer or two while they are cooking because the fragrance
>will drive you crazy, otherwise!
>Remove from oven and let them cool for a bit so that don't fall apart
>when you serve them.

This is similar to how I make them, except for a couple details:
Poach, don't boil the chicken. It's more flavorful if you poach the chicken in stock
rather than water. I also add some finely minced green chiles, a sprinkle of onion
powder, and a sprinkle of ancho chili powder to the chicken. Very flavorful! Boiling
chicken makes it rubbery, but if you poach it, it will be tender.
For something a little different, try using corn tortillas instead of flour. Prepare
them the same way, but you'll find you have more with the corn because they're
smaller.
Also, if you can find it, get some Cotija (Queso Anejo) cheese....you will be
grateful you did! Liberally sprinkle it over the top of the enchiladas just before
serving. And if you really want to go all the way, use some Queso Asadero or
Chihuahua for the melting cheese.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-19, Nexis > wrote:

> For something a little different, try using corn tortillas instead of flour.

Actually, corn tortillas are traditional. I've never seen them
prepared with flour tortillas.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2006-03-19, Nexis > wrote:
>
>> For something a little different, try using corn tortillas instead of flour.

> Actually, corn tortillas are traditional. I've never seen them
> prepared with flour tortillas.
>
> nb

The recipe called for flour, which is why I mentioned corn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote

> On 18 Mar 2006 13:37:46 -0800, "Zookeeper" >
> wrote:
>
>>=BD to =BE lb. shredded cheese (equal amounts sharp cheddar cheese &
>>jack cheese)

> PLEASE don't use the special characters for fractions on Usenet. From
> someone's reply to you, I gathered that "=BD" and "=BE" are fractions.

In case you're curious, it's 1/2 to 3/4. nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-03-19, Nexis > wrote:
>
> > For something a little different, try using corn tortillas instead of
> > flour.

> Actually, corn tortillas are traditional. I've never seen them
> prepared with flour tortillas.

Flour is good, although I like corn better. The little old Mexican lady
at work said her momma back in Mexico always makes them with flour. She
brought in a batch for a potluck and they were wonderful.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

: This special chicken enchilada recipe was developed over a period of
: years by our family member, Uncle David, who is a real conniseur of
: chile peppers. The sauce used in this recipe is critical to the unique
: taste of these chicken enchiladas because it is made from aged red
: chile peppers.

: 3 chicken breasts
: ? to ? lb. shredded cheese (equal amounts sharp cheddar cheese &
: jack cheese)
: 2 large cans of Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce
: 1 doz. medium size flour tortillas
: 2 small cans sliced black olives
: 1 bunch green onions
: 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
: 1 medium sized tomato
: 3 yellow peppers
: 3 jalape?o peppers
[...]

"aged red chile peppers"? Huh? You "age" a fresh chile pepper and
it spoils. And, what the heck is a "yellow pepper"??? There are
thousands of varieties of chiles, to say a "yellow pepper" is meaningless.