Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Requests for home made stir fry Sauces

I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
sauce recipes?

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, I can't answer your question, but I'll share a simple curry
recipe some folks should like.

RH's Ridiculously Fast and Good Giant Vat of Curry

Fry two cans of Maesri karee curry paste (yellow curry paste) in a
dollop of oil for a few minutes. Add onions and/or chopped raw chicken
if you want. When those are cooked, add two cans of coconut milk (get
the light stuff unless you want to die young). Also add a couple
coconut-milk-cans of water.

Now, dump in whatever you want. (You'll want at least a couple pounds
of stuff, even with a pound of chicken. The end result should be
stew-like.) Cubed potatoes, of course. Sliced carrots. Green beans.
Simmer it until it's all tender -- the potatoes and carrots will take
about half an hour -- then serve over brown rice.

This is a wonderful, *wonderful* curry recipe, and a staple in this
house. Maesri's other curry pastes vary between fishy and too spicy
(though I haven't tried the masaman yet). The yellow isn't too much of
either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?
>
> --
> -Alan

Mix ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and Worcester sauce, (you'll have to
experiment with quantities until you find what suits)
Makes a delicious Chinese bbq (I add dried chillies flakes too)

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?
>
> -Alan

I use a mix of soy sauce, a tablespoon or so of cornstarch, some ground
ginger, a tablespoon or so of sherry, and some chicken broth (maybe half a
cup). Some other ideas are below.

Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHINESE SAUCES 2

Recipe By :The Alligator, rfc - 3/5/05

BASIC CHICKEN MARINADE:
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 T sherry
1 teaspoon cornstarch.
Mix well, add bite-size
chicken chunks, marinate
about 30 minutes. If
using the lemon chicken version
of the sauce (bottom) I add a little
lemon juice to the marinade.

BASIC STIR FRY SAUCE

2 T soy sauce
1 T oyster sauce
1T sherry
1/2 T sugar
2 or so tsp of cornstarch (experiment to see how thick you like it)
grind of black pepper, and I always add
2 or 3 heaping kitchen tablespoons of
"A Taste of Thai" brand garlic and red chili sauce.

Thin with a squirt of water (not very much) stir to mix completely. When
food is
done, push up sides of wok, pour the sauce in the middle, stir and
boil to thicken, mix all together and you're done. WAIT - I don't put
the cornstarch IN the sauce - I mix it with 3 or 4 tsp cold water, pour
the sauce in the wok , then pour in the CS slurry.

LEMON CHICKEN SAUCE VERSION
Same as the above, but add :
the juice of 1 lemon
2 T brown sugar (replaces the white sugar)
1-2 tsp of honey. otherwise use as above.
I prefer the plain version, my wife likes the lemon - so lemon it is
most of the time.

Besides chicken, my typical "no recipe" wok meal would consist of the
following - not a LOT of each. Rinse the chestnuts and shoots well
with cold water to remove the can taste. I cook the vegs first, set
aside, then cook the meat in batches, throw all back together to
finish. If I cook the meat first, it seems to leave a residue that
sticks, burns, and make things hard to stir. I use canola oil for the
vegs (2T or so) and add new oil for the meat (not as much). Used to
use peanut oil, but we have a friend who can end up in the ER from
this, so I quit.
1/2 onion, cut crosswise, then cut into leaves like in the restaurants
handful each yellow, red, green pepper in 1-inch squares
zucchini, 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices, each cut in quarters
large handful yellow squash, same
about half as much
few baby carrots, sliced on an extreme bias for looks.
water chestnuts, 1/2 can, sliced
2 handfuls trimmed sugar or snow pea pods
half can of sliced bamboo shoots
Roma tomato pieces, throw in at end
couple handful button or "baby portabella", quartered
2 or 3 large cloves garlic, minced
quarter size sliced ginger, minced
== onions, garlic, ginger, carrots go first, followed by squashes,
peppers and pea pods. Rest goes in later as first cooks. Add a
couple green onions sliced on the bias in 1 inch pieces. If using the
gas burner, I only cook the chicken in batches, the vegs seem to be OK
together. Serve with Basmati rice, or my favorite - boil some
fettuccini noodles and mix it into the mess in the wok. Sort of a
poor mans "deluxe lo-mein", "be ready 20 minute".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?

Stir fry's sometimes put off some liquid.

Drain it off, reduce it, add a bit of soy sauce, wine and arrowroot
powder. ;-d

Or try this:

Simmer or pressure cook a combination of chicken, (or pork), LOTS of
fresh ginger root, LOTS of fresh garlic, some dried shitake mushrooms,
one whole onion, 2 or 3 shallots, a few celery stalks and a couple of
thinly sliced carrots. Add white pepper powder to taste.

Extract to make a stock with a pressure cooker or long, slow simmering
in a stock pot.

Strain thru a screen strainer and toss the veggies, reserve the meat,
shredded and deboned, for chicken salad.

Take the liquid and reduce it by at least 1/2. Add some Merlot wine then
thicken with arrowroot powder.

Freeze in appropriate portions, then salt to taste using soy sauce when
you use it.

I've not tried adding oyster sauce to this yet.

I generally make this sort of reduction sauce using the stock left over
from chicken feet or pork trotters.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and
> fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir
> fry
> sauce recipes?
>
> --
> -Alan

I stir fry the ingredients, longest cooking first, in dark sesame oil,
garlic, ginger, green onions & any other veggies then when ready to
serve over rice or rice noodles, toss a little sesame oil on the noodles
with a bit of very thick mushroom flavoured soy sauce and just a smidgen
of hot garlic chilli sauce, toss and eat. The "elderly relative"
prefers a "Banana Sauce" which is a sweet and very mild tomato based hot
sauce.

As often as not i use previously cooked (left over) meats which cuts
down on the cooking time considerably. The primary attraction for me to
this type of cooking is the ease and rapidity of it, that it is
delicious is a plus.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

limey wrote on 18 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I use a mix of soy sauce, a tablespoon or so of cornstarch, some
> ground ginger, a tablespoon or so of sherry, and some chicken broth
> (maybe half a cup). Some other ideas are below.
>
> Dora

some I found and going to try

Tomato Fireworks Sauce

2 tbsp dry sherry
3 tbsp tomato sauce (I use Hienz chili sauce)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil

Spicy Tangerine Sauce

1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp black sweet soy sauce
3 ctbsp dry sherry
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp roasted & ground Szechwan peppercorns
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp each minced fresh hot chiles and tangerine peel(zest)
2 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic

Black Bean Sauce

3 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp salted black beans, rinsed and chopped

Coconut Curry Sauce

2 tbsp chicken broth
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote

> some I found and going to try
>
> Coconut Curry Sauce
>
> 2 tbsp chicken broth
> 2 tbsp dry sherry
> 1 tbsp soy sauce
> 1 tbsp curry powder
> 1/2 tsp sugar
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
> --
> -Alan

Now that, for me, is a real keeper!
Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:40:36 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
>sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
>sauce recipes?

This is an old standby of mine:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Stir-Fry Sauce

asian

3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons ginger root; minced
(substitute 2 t. ground ginger)
4 cloves garlic; crushed
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
3 tablespoons red wine; or white vinegar
2 1/2 cups chicken broth; or beef broth

Combine all ingredients except broth in food processor; cover and
process until smooth. Pour into a jar; add broth and shake.

Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks or freeze in 1 cup portions up to
3 months. Shake before using. Makes 4 cups.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?

A few ideas (sans measurements, as I always just eyeball this kind of
thing).

Peanut Sauce: dark soy sauce (preferably Indonesean), peanut butter,
sweet soy sauce, and a bit of dark sesame oil.

Coconut-lime Sauce: coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, sriracha
sauce (a SE Asian hot pepper sauce), and a bit of dark soy sauce

Thai Red Curry: Commercial thai red curry paste, coconut milk, lime
zest

Hot Garlicy Sauce: Dark Soy sauce, a large amount of minced garlic,
sriracha sauce

Any of the above can be thickened with some cornstarch and water if
desired (I always do).

Later,
Mark Muller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?

I generally use the basic chicken stock with some soy sauce and a corn starch
slurry. It helps to have some garlic and ginger already in the stir fry.
Sometimes I add some oyster sauce or Hosein.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?
>
> --
> -Alan

Here are a couple:

equal parts hoisin, oyster and soy sauce (or tamari), thinned with a little stock

3 Tbsp each brown sugar and soy (or tamari), combined with a bit of cornstarch or
arrowroot and water or stock

equal parts hoisin, honey, and soy sauce

Tamari or dark soy, mixed with minced garlic and ginger, add Srirachi (Asian hot
sauce-should find it at the supermarket) to taste

2:1 ratio dark soy to rice wine, add honey or brown sugar to taste

Combine:
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
Thicken if you like with a bit of arrowroot combined with a bit of chicken stock

Combine:
1/4 cup lemon juice plus 1 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 Tb. soy sauce
2 Tbs. sugar

Combine:
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsps. rice wine vinegar
2 tsps. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1 tsp. sugar

Combine:
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. cider, balsamic or rice wine vinegar
1 Tb. brown sugar
Srirachi, to taste

Hope this helps!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-19, Nexis > wrote:

> equal parts hoisin, oyster and soy sauce (or tamari), thinned with a little stock

That's why Chinese food gets to be kind of boring after awhile. The
same basic 4-5 ingredients over and over. Add some ginger and rice
vinegar and chiles and that's about it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-03-19, Nexis > wrote:
> >
> > equal parts hoisin, oyster and soy sauce (or tamari), thinned with a little stock

> That's why Chinese food gets to be kind of boring after awhile. The
> same basic 4-5 ingredients over and over. Add some ginger and rice
> vinegar and chiles and that's about it.

Odd thing to say, since there hasn't been anything about Chinese food
in this thread yet. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote on 18 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On 2006-03-19, Nexis > wrote:
> >
> > equal parts hoisin, oyster and soy sauce (or tamari), thinned with a
> > little stock

> That's why Chinese food gets to be kind of boring after awhile. The
> same basic 4-5 ingredients over and over. Add some ginger and rice
> vinegar and chiles and that's about it.
>
> nb

5 ingredients??!? Who said Chinese only? And where do you get only 5
ingredient chinese food...Change restaurants immediately!

But I digress I just am interested in what others do for stir fry
sauces...

I only use 5 or 6 of the following list to make a stir fry. But by
changing those around you can't get bored.

Lets see: bok choy, green beans, water chestnuts, asparagus, brocolli,
bamboo shoots, baby corn, various mushrooms ,onion ,almonds, cashews ,
cauliflower, spinach ,beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, bell peppers, tofu,
crab ,bean sprouts , tomatoes ,english peas or snow peas, salted black
beans, sesame seeds, cilantro, carrot, celery, noodles, rice, garlic
sausage ,italian sausage, chinese sausage, brussel sprouts, fish, squid,
garlic, 5 spice powder and ginger. Seems like more than 5 to me...Never
Mind the differing Sauces. I probably missed a few.

Oh I Forgot the mango, orange, lemon, lime and pineapple possibilities.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pantry for Chinese cooking

notbob wrote:

>> equal parts hoisin, oyster and soy sauce (or tamari), thinned with a
>> little stock

> That's why Chinese food gets to be kind of boring after awhile. The
> same basic 4-5 ingredients over and over. Add some ginger and rice
> vinegar and chiles and that's about it.

Besides the fact that Chinese produce has at least a somewhat different
character than its Western counterparts (e.g., what Western vegetable is
like bok choy?), the basic seasonings in Chinese cooking number well over
4-5 ingredients. Here are some "basic" Chinese flavoring agents I came up
with after thinking about it for about ten seconds:

ginger
rice vinegar
black vinegar
hoisin sauce
oyster sauce
soy sauce
garlic
fresh chiles
dried chiles
fermented black beans
scallions
sesame oil
Szechuan peppercorns
citrus (generally orange, lemon, or tangerine. Yuzu is more Japanese.)
duck sauce
plum sauce
black pepper
white pepper
celery
mustard
five-spice powder
star anise

I emphasize that all those ingredients are COMMON in Chinese cooking.

Moreover, amplifying on my opening comment, the ancillary ingredients can
change the dish dramatically. For example, suppose you set out to make a
basic beef-and-broccoli stir-fry but you substitute baby corn or lotus root
for the broccoli: Is the resulting dish particularly close in flavor to the
"parent" recipe?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

> I only use 5 or 6 of the following list to make a stir fry. But by
> changing those around you can't get bored.
>
> Lets see: bok choy, green beans, water chestnuts, asparagus, brocolli,
> bamboo shoots, baby corn, various mushrooms ,onion ,almonds, cashews ,
> cauliflower, spinach ,beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, bell peppers, tofu,
> crab ,bean sprouts , tomatoes ,english peas or snow peas, salted black
> beans, sesame seeds, cilantro, carrot, celery, noodles, rice, garlic
> sausage ,italian sausage, chinese sausage, brussel sprouts, fish, squid,
> garlic, 5 spice powder and ginger. Seems like more than 5 to me...Never
> Mind the differing Sauces. I probably missed a few.
>
> Oh I Forgot the mango, orange, lemon, lime and pineapple possibilities.

You never use lamb, oysters, clams, or eggs in stir-fries? :-)

From Ming Tsai:

WOK-STIRRED CLAMS AND BLACK BEANS

Serves 4

2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
2 pounds Manila or littleneck clams, scrubbed
1/2 cup Black Bean-Garlic Sauce (page 32)
1 cup Chicken Broth or vegetable stock
1 cup tomatoes cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves cut into 1/16-inch ribbons
1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, as needed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat
the pan. Add the clams and stir-fry until they have opened slightly, 2 to 3
minutes. Add the Black Bean–Garlic Sauce and chicken broth and cook until
the liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, basil,
and butter. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve
immediately.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-19, aem > wrote:

> Odd thing to say, since there hasn't been anything about Chinese food
> in this thread yet. -aem

Italian?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
<snip>
[...]

Here are a few additions:

fermented bean curd [with or without chili]
red fermented bean curd
preserved salted cabbage
preserved radish
bamboo shoot in sesame oil and chile
green onion
lotus seeds
fermented shrimp paste [one restaurant always lit an incense stick
when they served this to us, so other customers wouldn't have to smell it]
rice wine [or was this in the original meager list?]

Then there's salt fish and thousand year old egg and szechuan cabbage
Soy sauce comes in many variants including mushroom soy
...and then finish with green tea or oolong tea or a black tea or
gunpowder tea
--thelma
: Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote on 19 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> You never use lamb, oysters, clams, or eggs in stir-fries? :-)

Yes I did forget lamb plus I missed olives, diakon, hot peppers....I'm not
big on oysters though. And eggs I use in fried rice.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> ginger
> rice vinegar
> black vinegar
> hoisin sauce
> oyster sauce
> soy sauce
> garlic
> fresh chiles
> dried chiles
> fermented black beans
> scallions
> sesame oil
> Szechuan peppercorns
> citrus (generally orange, lemon, or tangerine. Yuzu is more Japanese.)
> duck sauce
> plum sauce
> black pepper
> white pepper
> celery
> mustard
> five-spice powder
> star anise

You forgot the coconut...... ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

>I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
>sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
>sauce recipes?

Cut and paste from a prior post of mine:
BASIC CHICKEN MARINADE:
1 T (Tablespoon) sherry, 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce, 1 tsp cornstarch.

Mix well, add bite size chicken chunks, marinate about 30 minutes. If

using the lemon chicken version of the sauce (bottom) I add a little
lemon juice to the marinade.
BASIC STIR FRY SAUCE
2 T low sodium soy, 1 T oyster sauce, 1T sherry, 1/2 T sugar, 2 or so
tsp of cornstarch (experiment to see how thick you like it), grind of
black pepper, and I always add 2 or 3 heaping kitchen tablespoons of
"A Taste of Thai" brand garlic and red chili sauce. Thin with a
squirt of water (not very much) stir to mix completely. When food is
done, push up sides of wok, pour the sauce in the middle, stir and
boil to thicken, mix all together and you're done. WAIT - I don't put

the cornstarch IN the sauce - I mix it with 3 or 4 tsp cold water, pur

the sauce in the wok , then pour in the CS slurry.
LEMON CHICKEN SAUCE VERSION
Same as the above, but add the juice of 1 lemon, 2 T brown sugar
replaces the white sugar, 1-2 tsp of honey. otherwise use as above.
I prefer the plain version, my wife likes the lemon - so lemon it is
most of the time.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Thelma Lubkin wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
> <snip>
> : ...Here are some "basic" Chinese flavoring agents I came up
> : with after thinking about it for about ten seconds:

[snip list]

> Here are a few additions:

[snip second list]

I'm glad you contributed these. I didn't respond to this original post
because the idea of a generic stirfry sauce just doesn't reflect my
approach. It seems to me what you want to do is to pick and choose
from those lists to match or contrast with or enhance whatever the main
ingredients are. Experimentation and traditional recipes lead to
discovering what goes well with what. Unless you always use the same
main ingredients it gets you nowhere to use the same "stirfry sauce"
all the time. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> ginger
>> rice vinegar
>> black vinegar
>> hoisin sauce
>> oyster sauce
>> soy sauce
>> garlic
>> fresh chiles
>> dried chiles
>> fermented black beans
>> scallions
>> sesame oil
>> Szechuan peppercorns
>> citrus (generally orange, lemon, or tangerine. Yuzu is more Japanese.)
>> duck sauce
>> plum sauce
>> black pepper
>> white pepper
>> celery
>> mustard
>> five-spice powder
>> star anise

> You forgot the coconut...... ;-)

I *considered* coconut but left it out because I was replying to notbob's
comment about Chinese cooking. I haven't seen coconut used very much in
Chinese cooking; I think it's more characteristic of Thai, Vietnamese,
Malaysian, or Southern Indian cooking. Same thing with tamarind and lime.

I also considered basil and left it out for the same reason, but now that I
think about it some more, basil really should have been put on the list.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> ginger
> >> rice vinegar
> >> black vinegar
> >> hoisin sauce
> >> oyster sauce
> >> soy sauce
> >> garlic
> >> fresh chiles
> >> dried chiles
> >> fermented black beans
> >> scallions
> >> sesame oil
> >> Szechuan peppercorns
> >> citrus (generally orange, lemon, or tangerine. Yuzu is more Japanese.)
> >> duck sauce
> >> plum sauce
> >> black pepper
> >> white pepper
> >> celery
> >> mustard
> >> five-spice powder
> >> star anise

> > You forgot the coconut...... ;-)

> I *considered* coconut but left it out because I was replying to notbob's
> comment about Chinese cooking. I haven't seen coconut used very much in
> Chinese cooking; I think it's more characteristic of Thai, Vietnamese,
> Malaysian, or Southern Indian cooking. Same thing with tamarind and lime.
>
> I also considered basil and left it out for the same reason, but now that I
> think about it some more, basil really should have been put on the list.
>
> Bob

I tend to lump oriental cooking all together... even tho' I know better.
Galangal root and oyster mushrooms, as well as shitake and woodear
mushrooms should also probably be added to the list. <G> Oh, and
seaweed! That place I shop at must have at least 20 different
preparations of seaweed!

Then there are quail eggs, baby corns, etc. etc.

Oriental cooking is anything but boring. I rarely if ever make it the
same way twice as I'm seriously into trying new things, even if the
label is in konji. <G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and fish
> sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some good stir fry
> sauce recipes?
>
> --
> -Alan

...hmm worcester sauce, maggi seasoning sauce, honey... maybe? I like
adding grated ginger to give it a kick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Oriental cooking is anything but boring. I rarely if ever make it the
> same way twice as I'm seriously into trying new things, even if the
> label is in konji. <G>
> Peace, Om.

congi? Kanji? Tee Hee!

I threw out a full quart jar of fermented black beans that I had had for 13
years. Pooh! I cannot find them anywhere. I think I'm going to have to find
them on-line. When I said that, DH lips started pouting thinking of S&H.
But what the hey, we'd have them for another 13 years - maybe.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> fermented black beans

Take a peak here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html...=&node=3580501
&keywords=fermented%20black%20beans

made tiny = http://tinyurl.com/s9lo6

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > Oriental cooking is anything but boring. I rarely if ever make it the
> > same way twice as I'm seriously into trying new things, even if the
> > label is in konji. <G>
> > Peace, Om.

> congi? Kanji? Tee Hee!

Those funny chinese letters. ;-)
Was not sure how it was spelled, sorry!
I don't read chinese...

> I threw out a full quart jar of fermented black beans that I had had for 13
> years. Pooh! I cannot find them anywhere. I think I'm going to have to find
> them on-line. When I said that, DH lips started pouting thinking of S&H.
> But what the hey, we'd have them for another 13 years - maybe.
> Dee Dee

<snicker>

Why?

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William Wagner" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> fermented black beans

> Take a peak here.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html...=&node=3580501
> &keywords=fermented%20black%20beans
>
> made tiny = http://tinyurl.com/s9lo6
>
> Bill

Whatta site! Amazon is zee best to find information, is it not? I should've
gone there myself. What a dope I am.
Fermented Black beans and a few little other things are going to be on
order very soon. I missed getting some palm sugar and I see they have it at
Pacific Rim, too.
Thanks, Bill!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-19, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
> 4-5 ingredients. Here are some "basic" Chinese flavoring agents I came up
> with after thinking about it for about ten seconds:

Yes, but how many of these ingredients are way too similar?

> hoisin sauce
> oyster sauce
> soy sauce

> duck sauce
> plum sauce

I'd be hard pressed to differentiate these in a dish. I used to watch
Yan Can Cook. It was the same for 80% of his dishes.

In wok, stirfry:
oil
some meat coated in corn starch
add veggies
add stock
add 1-3 of the above list
finish stirfry ...serve

OTOH, anyone could make much the same argument for any cuisine.
That's why I like so many of the World's great cuisines. Constant
variety. I could no more tolerate Chinese for a week than I could
Italian or Mexican. Give me variety!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "William Wagner" > wrote in message
>
> et...
> > In article >,
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> >
> >> fermented black beans

> > Take a peak here.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html...=&node=3580501
> > &keywords=fermented%20black%20beans
> >
> > made tiny = http://tinyurl.com/s9lo6
> >
> > Bill

> Whatta site! Amazon is zee best to find information, is it not? I should've
> gone there myself. What a dope I am.
> Fermented Black beans and a few little other things are going to be on
> order very soon. I missed getting some palm sugar and I see they have it at
> Pacific Rim, too.
> Thanks, Bill!
> Dee Dee

Amazon sells lots of stuff. I try to go local but some items are
just not about. When you mentioned Fermented Black Beans I thought of
MISO. This from a aging hippie that enjoys dried plums.

Below a few places I deal with.

Enjoy!

Bill who misses Walnut Acres a lot!

http://www.edenfoods.com/

http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...+scstore+vhjy2
425+1137876904

http://www.macrobiotic-foods.com/new/naturalfoods.html

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "dee" > hitched up their panties and posted
> oups.com:
>

> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> >> I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and
> >> fish sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some
> >> good stir fry sauce recipes?
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Alan

> > ..hmm worcester sauce, maggi seasoning sauce, honey... maybe? I like
> > adding grated ginger to give it a kick.

> I don't use worcester in stir fry but I'll give it a try. I use a lot of
> the same sauces Alan has made. I find that dried red (fresh if you can
> find 'em) chile pepper adds a lot to it. But then I like heat. My
> favorite is sesame oil but I always add to it or the dish is boring. I
> don't use honey much but thanks for mentioning it. I never seem to think
> about going on the sweeter side when wokking.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
> served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
> found."
>
> --Calvin Trillin

...made some mixed bean broth with some dried red chili, tasted it and
quite liked it - then I made the mistake to take a bite at that chili
thinking the liquid would have diluted it by then.. oh my lips
ballooned!! Not gonna do that again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William Wagner" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> "William Wagner" > wrote in message
>>
>> et...

>> > Take a peak here.
>> >
>> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html...=&node=3580501
>> > &keywords=fermented%20black%20beans
>> >
>> > made tiny = http://tinyurl.com/s9lo6
>> >
>> > Bill

>> Whatta site! Amazon is zee best to find information, is it not? I
>> should've
>> gone there myself. What a dope I am.
>> Fermented Black beans and a few little other things are going to be on
>> order very soon. I missed getting some palm sugar and I see they have it
>> at
>> Pacific Rim, too.
>> Thanks, Bill!
>> Dee Dee

> Amazon sells lots of stuff. I try to go local but some items are
> just not about. When you mentioned Fermented Black Beans I thought of
> MISO. This from a aging hippie that enjoys dried plums.
>
> Below a few places I deal with.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Bill who misses Walnut Acres a lot!
>
> http://www.edenfoods.com/
>
> http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...+scstore+vhjy2
> 425+1137876904
>
> http://www.macrobiotic-foods.com/new/naturalfoods.html

Nice site, thanks --
I don't miss Walnut Acres -- I didn't know they were gone. But I do like
edenfoods - no matter how expensive. I use Miso, but as you see they are
not fermented black beans.
I'm a little too old to be an aging hippy -- not even an aging anything
anymore. I'm THERE! Someday you'll have to give up that title. Tee hee.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> > Oriental cooking is anything but boring. I rarely if ever make it the
>> > same way twice as I'm seriously into trying new things, even if the
>> > label is in konji. <G>
>> > Peace, Om.

>> congi? Kanji? Tee Hee!

> Those funny chinese letters. ;-)
> Was not sure how it was spelled, sorry!
> I don't read chinese...
>

>> I threw out a full quart jar of fermented black beans that I had had for
>> 13
>> years. Pooh! I cannot find them anywhere. I think I'm going to have to
>> find
>> them on-line. When I said that, DH lips started pouting thinking of S&H.
>> But what the hey, we'd have them for another 13 years - maybe.
>> Dee Dee

> <snicker>
>
> Why?

Why will we have them for another 13 years? Because they last so darned
long, because I think one only uses about a tablespoon per dish. For
instance
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a...-chicken1.html

or

Why DH pouts -- I saw a early (age 2-3) picture of him; he was pouting even
then -- hasn't stopped.

Have you ever heard the little phrase when someone pouts; you flip you
finger up and down their little lower lip while you say:
Not OT: "Chick, chick, chick, come roost on my lip."?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote on 20 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and
> > fish sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some
> > good stir fry sauce recipes?
> >
> > --
> > -Alan

> ..hmm worcester sauce, maggi seasoning sauce, honey... maybe? I like
> adding grated ginger to give it a kick.

Well tonight I tried a dry sherry, maggi sauuce, hoisin sauce and oj
concentrate sauce on my pork butt steak stir fry...

Veggies were 3 large cloves garlic, 1 yellow onion, 2 small handfuls
brown button mushrooms, 5 asparagus spears, handful top and tailed fresh
green beans, 1/2 a zuchinni, 4 leaves from a bok choy, a large celery
rib, 1/2 med red bell pepper, roma tomato, cauliflower and some
brocolli...all in bite sized chunchs or smaller. Garnished with sliced
almonds (I shoulda toasted them but didn't)

It was a keeper..

Sauce needs a tad more sweetening to be perfect for my tastes. Overall
at least a 7 outa 10 on the do again list.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote on 20 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I'd be hard pressed to differentiate these in a dish. I used to watch
> Yan Can Cook. It was the same for 80% of his dishes.

No wonder you don't know any better!

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> dee wrote on 20 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > > I usually just mix some oyster sauce a pinch of dark sesame oil and
> > > fish sauce....But that's starting to be boring...Anybody got some
> > > good stir fry sauce recipes?
> > >
> > > --
> > > -Alan

> > ..hmm worcester sauce, maggi seasoning sauce, honey... maybe? I like
> > adding grated ginger to give it a kick.
> >

> Well tonight I tried a dry sherry, maggi sauuce, hoisin sauce and oj
> concentrate sauce on my pork butt steak stir fry...
>
> Veggies were 3 large cloves garlic, 1 yellow onion, 2 small handfuls
> brown button mushrooms, 5 asparagus spears, handful top and tailed fresh
> green beans, 1/2 a zuchinni, 4 leaves from a bok choy, a large celery
> rib, 1/2 med red bell pepper, roma tomato, cauliflower and some
> brocolli...all in bite sized chunchs or smaller. Garnished with sliced
> almonds (I shoulda toasted them but didn't)
>
> It was a keeper..
>
> Sauce needs a tad more sweetening to be perfect for my tastes. Overall
> at least a 7 outa 10 on the do again list.

Sounds good, I'd delete the bell peppers tho' but that's just me. ;-)

No garlic?
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-20, Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> No wonder you don't know any better!

Oh, you know more about Chinese cooking than Yan Martin. Well, jump
right in and tell us all about it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-03-20, Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
>
> > No wonder you don't know any better!

> Oh, you know more about Chinese cooking than Yan Martin. Well, jump
> right in and tell us all about it.

You've already said you can't tell the difference between soy sauce,
oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, duck sauce and plum sauce. That's like
saying you can't tell the difference between mustard, mayonnaise and
ketchup. What would be the point in trying to tell you any more about
Chinese cooking? -aem

Stir fry sauces Val22 Asian Cooking 0 19-03-2014 12:12 AM
What exactly is 'home made'? A Moose in Love General Cooking 51 03-03-2014 12:23 AM
Bottled Stir Fry Sauces snopea General Cooking 28 16-06-2008 06:43 PM
Easy made stir fry. [email protected] General Cooking 0 17-12-2006 05:48 AM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 04:47 AM