Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trinidad cuisine

hi I'm from Trinidad and I was hoping to share local cuisine with you
all and learn a thing or two myself

Posted to rec.food.cooking

honey and lime wrote:

> hi I'm from Trinidad and I was hoping to share local cuisine with you
> all and learn a thing or two myself

Welcome! I have no idea idea what foods are popular in Trinidad, so I'll
be keeping my eyes open for you posts
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"honey and lime" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> hi I'm from Trinidad and I was hoping to share local cuisine with you
> all and learn a thing or two myself

Post up your favorite food / recipe. I'll eat just about anything, as long
as it's not moving.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

do you like eggplant? Here is something called bygan chokka

1 eggplant roasted on an open fire
scarpe the skin off after it is blacken from the heat.
Place the insides in shallow bowl.
Chop onions tomatoes fine and add to the bowl. Sprinkle salt and black
pepper. Locals like to use hot pepper for that spicy flavor. separately
heat skillet with teaspoon of oil and drop a clove of garlic and cook
until black. remove garlic and pour oil over eggplant mix. stir
slightly.

this is great with Sad roti but pita bread goes just as well.

it's a local east indian dish mainly consumed for breakfast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"honey and lime" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> do you like eggplant? Here is something called bygan chokka
>
> 1 eggplant roasted on an open fire
> scarpe the skin off after it is blacken from the heat.
> Place the insides in shallow bowl.
> Chop onions tomatoes fine and add to the bowl. Sprinkle salt and black
> pepper. Locals like to use hot pepper for that spicy flavor. separately
> heat skillet with teaspoon of oil and drop a clove of garlic and cook
> until black. remove garlic and pour oil over eggplant mix. stir
> slightly.
>
> this is great with Sad roti but pita bread goes just as well.
>
> it's a local east indian dish mainly consumed for breakfast

Sounds easy enough. Next time I've got a spare egg plant laying around,
we'll give it a go. Since my mouth is now almost 100% asbestos, I'll opt for
the hot peppers too.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think u will like it..........

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dear h &l.
I spent a year living in St. James and Maraval in the late 70's and
developed a taste for the various types of roti. I still make the odd flat
bread today but I was never able to figure out how to get that thin layer of
dal inside the flattened roti. If you can explain how that is done, you will
be a friend for life. There was more that cooked peas inside the filling so
perhaps you can give a recipe or two. At the time, the best roti (In my
opinion) in the whole of Trinidad came from a small stand at the traffic
light on the Princess Margaret Highway in Couva. There was only one traffic
light on the whole highway at the time. I wonder if it is still there.
Another great roti stand (Or shack) was close to Piarco airport. With a name
like SUPERSONIC ROTI, how could it not be good.

Farmer John

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi I'm from St. James and now live Maraval and as for roti one of my
favourites.

To make the dhal u have to grind the split peas in a mill. the peas is
boiled until soft with seasonings ( shadon beni, thyme, black pepper
etc.)

ball the roti dough and make into cup shape and fill with mixture and
close in. then use your rolling pin and flatten before putting on tawa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

honey and lime wrote:
> do you like eggplant? Here is something called bygan chokka
>
> 1 eggplant roasted on an open fire
> scarpe the skin off after it is blacken from the heat.
> Place the insides in shallow bowl.
> Chop onions tomatoes fine and add to the bowl. Sprinkle salt and black
> pepper. Locals like to use hot pepper for that spicy flavor. separately
>
> heat skillet with teaspoon of oil and drop a clove of garlic and cook
> until black. remove garlic and pour oil over eggplant mix. stir
> slightly.
>

> this is great with Sad roti but pita bread goes just as well.
>

> it's a local east indian dish mainly consumed for breakfast

Wow, thank you! It sounds tasty and I've never seen that approach to
blackening garlic before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fudge wrote:

> Dear h &l.
> I spent a year living in St. James and Maraval in the late 70's and
> developed a taste for the various types of roti. I still make the odd flat
> bread today but I was never able to figure out how to get that thin layer of
> dal inside the flattened roti. If you can explain how that is done, you will
> be a friend for life. There was more that cooked peas inside the filling so
> perhaps you can give a recipe or two. At the time, the best roti (In my
> opinion) in the whole of Trinidad came from a small stand at the traffic
> light on the Princess Margaret Highway in Couva. There was only one traffic
> light on the whole highway at the time. I wonder if it is still there.
> Another great roti stand (Or shack) was close to Piarco airport. With a name
> like SUPERSONIC ROTI, how could it not be good.
>
> Farmer John

They have that kind of pancake (rot) with a dal filling in the middle in
Suriname, I've had it here in Holland and wondered about creating that
layer, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

happy I could help just remember to give me hints on ur cooking
secrets.
If I can help again don't hesitate to ask

Posted to rec.food.cooking

this is a pancake?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

where u from? Europe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Have u had food from Trinidad b4?
if not I'll give u a few recipes. maybe a local Soup. Sancoche

Posted to rec.food.cooking

check out cooking pelau in the main topics that's mine do u have a dish
similar in Missouri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

honey and lime wrote:

> this is a pancake?

Your posts will be easier to follow if you use proper attributions and
quoting, the way most of the rest of the people here do. See below for
some handy tips.

Brian

header.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have thyme growing in my back yard each summer and I have black pepper
in my spice cabinet but no shadon beni around here? My favourite roti used
to have some sort of curry flavour and some hot pepper. I will try grinding
up the cooked peas and making a pocket like you suggest. Wish me luck.
I used to stay at the Avenue House Hotel on Arapita Avenue not too far
from Ganges Street. Probably known as Woodbrook rather than St.James. My
favourite rum shop was the Kong Kow Snackette on Tragarete road.

Thank You Trini Girl

Farmer John

"honey and lime" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi I'm from St. James and now live Maraval and as for roti one of my
> favourites.
>
> To make the dhal u have to grind the split peas in a mill. the peas is
> boiled until soft with seasonings ( shadon beni, thyme, black pepper
> etc.)
>
> ball the roti dough and make into cup shape and fill with mixture and
> close in. then use your rolling pin and flatten before putting on tawa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

honey and lime wrote:

> this is a pancake?

It is to me? They call it roti, it's round and flat and I believe it is
fried in a pan (but maybe in an oven, I don't actually know). I doubt
there's any leavening agent in it. There are versions using potato,
flour, gram and dal, or mixtures of those. Maybe some types are
considered "unauthentic"

The roti are served with savory, saucy/stewy things, vegetables , eggs,
curried potatoes etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Omg... You live in Holland? Wonderful. I love Holland.

Yessir, I have also lived in Canada, Germany and the UK. But I'm native
to Holland.

Have you been to Holland, then?

> Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

don't cook pepper pot too many different meats plus I don't eat pork.
To cook pepper pot takes 3 days and when I want a meal I don't want it
three days later

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Her recipe sounds like Indian bengan bharta with fewer spices.

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd love to know how you make roti and kalalu.

Orlando