Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bad waitress tricks

We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
someone to make change and had them say there was none.

I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
tip.

In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
change for tipping.

--
Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

I would have left her the $5 and left. She asked for it.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Mar 2006 22:44:11 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>D.Currie wrote:
>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
>> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
>> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
>> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
>> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
>> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
>> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
>> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
>> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
>> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

>I would have left her the $5 and left. She asked for it.
>-L.

My sentiments too.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay,
> I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back
> with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change."
> Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a
> spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this
> place often, and we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more
> than 20 percent and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a
> little too dumb to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but
> the other half of me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the
> choice between the $5 and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>
> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed
> than when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will
> usually break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five,
> and singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with
> the change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave
> a tip.
>
> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to
> be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the
> right change for tipping.

You are too kind. A tip is supposed to reflect the overall service. With the
waitress either ignoring your request or intentionally jerking you around in
hopes of a larger tip, you would have been 110% justified in leaving the
smallish tip. If behaving like she did does not have any consequences, why
will she ever stop?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay,
> I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back
> with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change."
> Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a
> spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this
> place often, and we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more
> than 20 percent and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a
> little too dumb to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but
> the other half of me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the
> choice between the $5 and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>
> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed
> than when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will
> usually break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five,
> and singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with
> the change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave
> a tip.
>
> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to
> be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the
> right change for tipping.
>
> --
> Donna

How old was the waitress? I find lately that when you're dealing with anyone
under maybe 35-ish, you have to spell everything out as if you were giving
arts & crafts instructions to kindergarten kids. Remember how politicians
ranted about problems with our education system throughout the 1990s? We're
living with the product of the failed system. A generation of idiots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to
>> pay, I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She
>> came back with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry,
>> no change." Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even
>> though she wasn't a spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that
>> little. We go to this place often, and we've had this waitress
>> before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent and that bugged me.
>> Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb to understand
>> that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of me was
>> thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
>> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>>
>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more
>> annoyed than when a server has come back with just big bills. The
>> smart ones will usually break at least one of the bills down so
>> you've got a ten, a five, and singles instead of a twenty, but
>> sometimes they just come back with the change in whatever form is
>> easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked someone to make change and
>> had them say there was none.
>>
>> Donna

Donna,

In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
food tasted metallic."

Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

Imho,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>
> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> tip.
>
> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
> a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
> change for tipping.

If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
constitute good service.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-17, sarah bennett > wrote:

> If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
> *was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything.

* * Ding! Ding! Ding! * *

We haaave a winner!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:
> D.Currie wrote:
> > We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> > needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> > five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> > bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> > waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> > we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> > and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> > to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> > me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> > and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
> >
> > Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> > when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> > break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> > singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> > change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> > someone to make change and had them say there was none.
> >
> > I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> > learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> > tip.
> >
> > In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
> > a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
> > change for tipping.
> >

> If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
> *was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
> constitute good service.
>
> --
>
> saerah
>
> http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/
>
> email:
> anisaerah at s b c global.net
>
> "Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
> disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
> -Baruch Spinoza
>
> "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
> what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
> and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
> is another theory which states that this has already happened."
> -Douglas Adams

In this situation, I'd have given her the 5. Any good waiter/waitress
knows to have change on hand.
OTH, I waited on table for a short time many years ago, at a Marie
Callendars. Service was a big thing there and we were NOT ALLOWED to
bring back a 10 and 5 ones unless specifically asked. It was considered
trolling for a tip. Never understood the policy myself, but that was
how it was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>D.Currie wrote:

<snip>

>>>I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
>>>learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
>>>tip.
>>>
>>>In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
>>>a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
>>>change for tipping.
>>>

>>If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
>>*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
>>constitute good service.
>>

> In this situation, I'd have given her the 5. Any good waiter/waitress
> knows to have change on hand.
> OTH, I waited on table for a short time many years ago, at a Marie
> Callendars. Service was a big thing there and we were NOT ALLOWED to
> bring back a 10 and 5 ones unless specifically asked. It was considered
> trolling for a tip. Never understood the policy myself, but that was
> how it was.

Yeah, but if a customer asks for change, lying to them about it not
being available won't get you a tip, either.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>
> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> tip.

Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant, NOT
a bank, you imbecile.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote:

> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

Let me get this straight. You specifically asked her for change. A $5 would not
have been a full 15% but $10 would have been too much. You should have just
left the $5.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
> > If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
> > *was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything.

> * * Ding! Ding! Ding! * *
>
> We haaave a winner!

You're the winner, the LOW IQ of the WEEK!

It's a restaurant, not a bank... that's a waitperson, not a teller...
you uncouth *******.

It's not a restaurant's responsibility to give change in any specific
denomination.

Yoose all going out to eat, yoose all too stupid to have a few singles
in yer pocket... what morons. Imbeciles think the waitperson should
cut your food and spoon feed you too... MOMMA'S BOY! Notbob, shit...
what you are is NOT-A-MAN

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
> handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
> food tasted metallic."
>
> Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
> chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

I don't get it. You want her to hand it directly to the waitress and then
deflect the blame for the low tip on the cook. If you are going to be direct
with the waitress, be direct..... "I would have left more but I asked you
to bring me change and you didn't. I am not getting sucked in to leaving a
larger tip because you didn't offer the service I had specifically
requested."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:

> If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
> *was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
> constitute good service.

If I was told there was no change I would have known that it was a lie. Wait staff
always have pockets full of change.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-17, Sheldon > wrote:

> It's a restaurant, not a bank...

[snip childish gibberish]

Hitting the Genesee a little early, aren't we.

If you want to reward someone for deceiving you, knock yourself out.
Momma notbob never raised such a foolish child.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's
> always ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change
> when they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
> hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
> add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant,
> NOT a bank, you imbecile.
>
> Sheldon

OMG, I find myself agreeing with Sheldon.

Allow me to throw a few ideas out from 20 years of restaurant experience:

1. I have never met a server who deliberately played games with their
tips - "gee - I bet they'll give me the big bill!" However, I have met
many new, poorly trained, and yes, "dim" servers, who didn't understand
the point. What if everyone got their paycheck deducted for making
mistakes?

2. Training is now non-existent - it is now almost entirely "on the job".
This isn't a problem with an experienced server, but restaurants often
hire many who have never had experience with not only serving, but with
customer service. (Often, cooks with only moderate english skills will be
asked to wait tables.) Years ago, servers received menu instruction, bar
instruction, and customer and cash / handing procedures. For two reasons,
this has been condensed to as little as 2 days of training and 2
"follows." Reason 1: restaurants don't wish to pay more than they have
to, and Reason 2: if you tell someone today they would have to work for
minimum wage for up to three weeks, they would laugh and leave.

3. Many places have standing policies against letting servers get change
for anything less than a $20 - period - even if you get three $100s in a
row. You are expected to get it from another server rather than "bother"
the bartender, manager, or cashier. I always thought this was asinine but
the penalties could be as stiff as a write-up or as bothersome as having
to do extra / or the worst closing duty. I even worked one place where
the servers lost a table rotation if they asked for change more than
once.

4. Sheldon is right. Restaurants are not a bank. If you only have big
bills, ask the bar or cashier first. (Though as a former bartender, I
have been given a $400 bank and STILL been cleaned out in a matter of
hours.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:
(snip)
> Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
> ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
> they go out to eat.

(outrage and vulgarity snipped for decency "-)
> Sheldon

Oh, calm down! LOL!
We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-16-06, Sam I Am! Hamantaschen and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> Hitting the Genesee a little early, aren't we.

Please...it's too early in the day (or even the year) to mention that
god-awful beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> D.Currie wrote:
>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
>> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
>> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
>> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
>> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
>> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
>> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
>> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
>> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
>> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>>
>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
>> when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
>> break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
>> singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
>> change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
>> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>>
>> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
>> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
>> tip.

> Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
> ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
> they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
> hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
> add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant, NOT
> a bank, you imbecile.
>
> Sheldon

Nice talk. You kiss your mother (or boyfriend) with that mouth?
It's not a bank, true, but as a functioning business establishment
they'd better have change at all times if they want to stay in business.
Being able to change money is inherent to running that type of venue.
Otherwise all patrons would have to pay with either credit cards,
checks, or exact change in cash for their meal...not gonna happen.
Sounds to me like the waitress lied, and she'd either get zilch from me,
or maybe the five, if I'm feeling magnanimous.
andrew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:56:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
[snip]
> We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the
> card. Problem solved.

Heck yeah! What's this "cash" thing everyone's so freely throwing
about?

The Ranger
---
"The Irish believe wiff a most-'oly furor that eatin' food shoul' be a
test of courage. If we can't boil it t' deff, fry it in a vat o'
grease, or stuff it in an animal intestine, we're posit've it
shouldn't be eaten."
-- John Woolery, London Underground, 1992
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:56:19 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message ...
> > Hitting the Genesee a little early, aren't we.
> >

> Please...it's too early in the day (or even the year) to
> mention that god-awful beer.

But it's cheap which will always fill Shel-dumb's first-and-only
requirement.

The Ranger
---
arriving safely, in an attractive and well-preserved body. Rather one
should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out while screaming 'WOO HOO!
What a ride!'"
Posted to rec.food.cooking,stl.dining

D.Currie wrote:
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

At the one restaurant where we are regulars, I tip very well, but
expect great service. If my son and I go there for lunch, and the bill
is $10, I tip $2 for marginal service, $3 for good service, or most
likely, $4 for excellent service. The servers know this, and bring me
salsa before I run out, and always keep my water glass from running
dry. If my wife is with us, the check will likely be ~$18, for which I
leave $4, $5, or more likely $6. Is $2, $3, even $5 or $10 too much to
pay for VIP treatment?

Let's take the $18 check. 15% rounded up to the nearest dollar would
be a $3, making the meal total $21. A $6 (which is ~33%) tip would
bring the meal total to $24. $24 is only ~14% more than $21, but that
extra 14% has a huge effect on the overall pleasure of the dining
experience.

When we go in there and are assigned a server who doesn't know us,
(s)he brings water and chips&salsa, just like for every customer.
After the server goes back to the back, (s)he acts differently,
obviously having been told by other staff that I am a huge tipper, but
only for spectacular service. I also often tip with $2 bills, which
just serves to highlight the size of the gratuity.

In addition to the benefits I derive, there's the plus of knowing
you've done a good thing, even if your motives were not primarily
altruistic.

> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> tip.
>
> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
> a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
> change for tipping.
>
> --
> Donna

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,stl.dining

"Food Snob" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> D.Currie wrote:
>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay,
>> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with
>> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr.
>> Five
>> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
>> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often,
>> and
>> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
>> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too
>> dumb
>> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half
>> of
>> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
>> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

> At the one restaurant where we are regulars, I tip very well, but
> expect great service. If my son and I go there for lunch, and the bill
> is $10, I tip $2 for marginal service, $3 for good service, or most
> likely, $4 for excellent service. The servers know this, and bring me
> salsa before I run out, and always keep my water glass from running
> dry. If my wife is with us, the check will likely be ~$18, for which I
> leave $4, $5, or more likely $6. Is $2, $3, even $5 or $10 too much to
> pay for VIP treatment?
>
> Let's take the $18 check. 15% rounded up to the nearest dollar would
> be a $3, making the meal total $21. A $6 (which is ~33%) tip would
> bring the meal total to $24. $24 is only ~14% more than $21, but that
> extra 14% has a huge effect on the overall pleasure of the dining
> experience.
>
> When we go in there and are assigned a server who doesn't know us,
> (s)he brings water and chips&salsa, just like for every customer.
> After the server goes back to the back, (s)he acts differently,
> obviously having been told by other staff that I am a huge tipper, but
> only for spectacular service. I also often tip with $2 bills, which
> just serves to highlight the size of the gratuity.
>
> In addition to the benefits I derive, there's the plus of knowing
> you've done a good thing, even if your motives were not primarily
> altruistic.

All well and good, but what about people who do not go to a restaurant
regularly? It's nice to be known and treated well because of your tipping,
but relatively few people I think patronize any restaurant that frequently.

And then what about the other patrons? Suppose I came to your restaurant as
an unknown. Is my service going to be slighted because the waitress is busy
attending to her known big tippers?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have never met a server who deliberately played games
> with their tips

Once I paid something like a $30 bill with $40. The waitress never
came back. Half an hour later I had to hunt her down. She gave me the
*evillest* look, as if only the world's cheapest people actually stoop
so low.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > It's a restaurant, not a bank...

> If you want to reward someone for deceiving you, knock yourself out.

Wait persons do not access cash registers, blame the cashier.

Yoose who don't carry cash in denominations to tip are the deceptive
ones... going out to eat without cash to tip is a self-fulfilling
prophecy, means yer looking to squeak out of giving a proper tip.
Adults who place themselves in positions where tips are expected have
proper cash, yoose are CHILDREN, spoiled rotten SELFISH *LOW IQ*
CHILDREN.

> Momma notbob never raised such a foolish child.

Yep, your momma definitely raised a *child*, not-a-man! And you are a
retarded child.

And the OP is a friggin' liar.. no way based on her projected tipping
percentages and the denominations of US currency would the tab be such
that the change would be $15... and *exactly* $15, BS! She is a liar!
And yoose are all uncouth children, obviously only dining any of yoose
do is fast food drive thrus... don't need to tip and don't need to
bathe. Idiots.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> tip.
>
> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
> a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
> change for tipping.

An attendant at a gas station in my neighborhood once tried a similar
stunt on me. On my way home from work one evening, I stopped to buy a
tank of gas. The cost came to something like $22. I handed the gas
station attendant a $20 and $5 bills. He said he couldn't make change,
and he asked me if I would I mind if he kept the change?

I responded by asking him if he would mind if I considered the $2 worth
of gas on the house. The guy quickly found the change!

Living in NJ, self-service gas stations are illegal, so I have to go to
full service. I don't mind that at all, but one does have to be careful
to avoid being ripped off when filling up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Change for big bills. Was: Bad waitress tricks

This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
"This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
then?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pgluth1 wrote:
> > Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> > waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's
> > always ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change
> > when they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
> > hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
> > add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant,
> > NOT a bank, you imbecile.
> >
> > Sheldon

> OMG, I find myself agreeing with Sheldon.

If you find yourself agreeing with dogturd, you know you're thinking is
off.

> Allow me to throw a few ideas out from 20 years of restaurant experience:
>
> 1. I have never met a server who deliberately played games with their
> tips - "gee - I bet they'll give me the big bill!" However, I have met
> many new, poorly trained, and yes, "dim" servers, who didn't understand
> the point. What if everyone got their paycheck deducted for making
> mistakes?
>
> 2. Training is now non-existent - it is now almost entirely "on the job".
> This isn't a problem with an experienced server, but restaurants often
> hire many who have never had experience with not only serving, but with
> customer service. (Often, cooks with only moderate english skills will be
> asked to wait tables.) Years ago, servers received menu instruction, bar
> instruction, and customer and cash / handing procedures. For two reasons,
> this has been condensed to as little as 2 days of training and 2
> "follows." Reason 1: restaurants don't wish to pay more than they have
> to, and Reason 2: if you tell someone today they would have to work for
> minimum wage for up to three weeks, they would laugh and leave.
>
> 3. Many places have standing policies against letting servers get change
> for anything less than a $20 - period - even if you get three $100s in a
> row. You are expected to get it from another server rather than "bother"
> the bartender, manager, or cashier. I always thought this was asinine but
> the penalties could be as stiff as a write-up or as bothersome as having
> to do extra / or the worst closing duty. I even worked one place where
> the servers lost a table rotation if they asked for change more than
> once.
>
> 4. Sheldon is right. Restaurants are not a bank. If you only have big
> bills, ask the bar or cashier first. (Though as a former bartender, I
> have been given a $400 bank and STILL been cleaned out in a matter of
> hours.)

Restaurants are not banks. What does that have to do with anything?
Restaurants are businesses! When you are in business, you do everything
possible to make it easy for the customer. If you're too stupid to
carrry change, like a grocery store or a cleaners does, you deserve to
be out of business. The same goes for a waiter/waitress. You want to
make it east for your customers to tip you. This enhances your chances
of getting good tips. If the restaurant you work for won't allow you to
ask for change, then you need to provide the necessary change yourself,
or find work with a restaurant than supports you, instead of making
your job more difficult.
I don't need to carry around 17 one dollar bills and 14 quarters in
order to tip people. If they want my tip, they better be prepared to
make whatever change I want.
Remember, dogturd is NEVER right!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
> marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
> "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
> they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
> then?

Business owners can make whatever rules they desire, and there's not a thing
you can do about it. This is how businesses in the South kept black citizens
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq...l-tender.shtml

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard Kaszeta" > wrote in message
> "Peter Aitken" > writes:
>
>> This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
>> marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
>> "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
>> they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it -
>> what
>> then?

> http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq...l-tender.shtml

Thanks - that answers my question.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-17, Sheldon > wrote:

> Wait persons do not access cash registers......

[snip even more childish drivel]

Oh, shut up, you annoying **** of a person! No one is interested in
your bitter hate-filled bile.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-03-17, Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> Wait persons do not access cash registers......

> [snip even more childish drivel]
>
> Oh, shut up, you annoying **** of a person! No one is interested in
> your bitter hate-filled bile.
>
> nb

Unfortunately there seems to be quite a number of people on this group who
find sheldoon's infantile blathering to be amusing. But to your credit you
are not one of them - so why respond? If you stepped in dogshit would you
scold the dogshit for getting on your shoe?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> In article >,
> "D.Currie" > wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> > learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to

leave a
> > tip.
> >
> > In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem

to be
> > a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the

right
> > change for tipping.

> An attendant at a gas station in my neighborhood once tried a similar
> stunt on me. On my way home from work one evening, I stopped to buy a
> tank of gas. The cost came to something like $22. I handed the gas
> station attendant a $20 and $5 bills. He said he couldn't make change,
> and he asked me if I would I mind if he kept the change?

I've had cabdrivers do similar here in Chicago by claiming "I don't have
change for a twenty...". I mean come on, it's not like a twenty is a real
rare commodity anymore. In these particular cases I'll make the cabdriver
go in somewhere and GET change AFTER the meter is turned off; I'll make a
point of not tipping and if he's especially surly I'll report him...

The vast majority of cabbies that pull this stunt are Middle Easterners, I
mean hey, this AIN'T Damascus...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > > If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
> > > *was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything.

> > * * Ding! Ding! Ding! * *
> >
> > We haaave a winner!

> You're the winner, the LOW IQ of the WEEK!
>
> It's a restaurant, not a bank... that's a waitperson, not a teller...
> you uncouth *******.
>
> It's not a restaurant's responsibility to give change in any specific
> denomination.

True enough. But it is a business where the wait staff expect to get
tips..... for service.
Not a problem if the waitress doesn't have change for the customer so that
she can get a nice tip. She can settle for the lower tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
pgluth1 > wrote:

> 1. I have never met a server who deliberately played games with their
> tips - "gee - I bet they'll give me the big bill!" However, I have met
> many new, poorly trained, and yes, "dim" servers, who didn't understand
> the point. What if everyone got their paycheck deducted for making
> mistakes?

In real life, if you continue making those "mistakes," they'll do
more than deduct from your paycheck, they will fire you. In retail, if
you foul up, often it _does_ come out of your paycheck. Even people
having garage sales make sure to have lots of change around. A
restaurant, even more so, should have it. It's not like all restaurant
food is $5, $10, $25, etc., not to mention adding tax. Change is part
of the business for restaurants, if they accept cash.

As for the other idiotic practices the restaurants try to get away
with, well, it is more evidence that they need to do away with tips, pay
people a real wage and keep on top of their business more.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"salgud" > wrote:

> Restaurants are not banks. What does that have to do with anything?
> Restaurants are businesses! When you are in business, you do everything
> possible to make it easy for the customer. If you're too stupid to
> carrry change, like a grocery store or a cleaners does, you deserve to
> be out of business. The same goes for a waiter/waitress. You want to
> make it east for your customers to tip you. This enhances your chances
> of getting good tips. If the restaurant you work for won't allow you to
> ask for change, then you need to provide the necessary change yourself,
> or find work with a restaurant than supports you, instead of making
> your job more difficult.

Exactly. When I work at our yarn shop in town, even though we are
often understaffed, and even though most of our customers pay by credit
card, if we are low on ones or fives, someone either makes change from
her purse if she has it or goes to the bank.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would
>> have handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the
>> chef, the food tasted metallic."
>>
>> Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
>> chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

> I don't get it. You want her to hand it directly to the waitress and
> then deflect the blame for the low tip on the cook. If you are going
> to be direct with the waitress, be direct..... "I would have left
> more but I asked you to bring me change and you didn't. I am not
> getting sucked in to leaving a larger tip because you didn't offer the
> service I had specifically requested."

Dave,

You have a point there but your hair conceals it.

You're right. Just be direct as you mention and then hope she doesn't
spit in your meal the next time you visit.

Low paid waitresses need tips to pay the rent. The one point someone
pointed out in this thread is that she lied. I'd speak to the manager
come to think of it.

Blaming the chef was a quick to judgement post. I stand corrected.

When I wore my chef's hat I hated waitstaff complaints when I knew I was
doing my best and it was mostly their fault. Slow night, bad day with the
kids and husband, whatever. But I never lowered my quality of cheffing,
in any case. The whole point in the biz is to keep existing and new
customers happy after their meal.

If some greedy waitress came in and told me the food tasted metallic I'd
ask what they ordered. A chef's worst nightmare. Stop serving the dish.
Inspect the dish (time-delay). Yep. Bad form to blame the chef for the
waitresses issues and lies.

'Nuf said.

All the best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter Aitken" > wrote

> This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
> marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
> "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
> they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
> then?

Get out your debit card. On a related note, people have been
told they cannot pay their parking fine/court ordered whatever with
sacks of pennies.

I just heard about some guy who counterfeited money,
Anderson Cooper brought it up ... I think he said Billion dollar
bills ... maybe he said million, I have a cold and stuffed up ears
to go with it. At any rate, it was a laugh, go into 7 11 and ask
for change back. Funny.

nancy