Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bad waitress tricks

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Glitter Ninja" > wrote
> > "Nancy Young" > writes:
> >>"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote

expenditures

> >>You cannot be serious.

> > I can see the point he's making in a general way -- the rich should
> > give more to charity, pay proportionate taxes, etc. But if a product is
> > $25, it's $25 no matter who is paying the bill. Menu pricess don't come
> > in "poor", "middle", and "rich" varieties.

> Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> sandwiches.

It reminds me of visiting Communist countries during the 70's, they often
had one (low) price for the locals for stuff (train and air fares, museum
admissions, hotels, etc.) and an inflated price ("payable in convertible
currency") for folks visiting from capitalist lands...

I think some places e.g. Russian, Cuba, India, etc. still have this kind of
pricing for some things...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
>> 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
>> sandwiches.

> It reminds me of visiting Communist countries during the 70's, they often
> had one (low) price for the locals for stuff (train and air fares, museum
> admissions, hotels, etc.) and an inflated price ("payable in convertible
> currency") for folks visiting from capitalist lands...
>
> I think some places e.g. Russian, Cuba, India, etc. still have this kind
> of
> pricing for some things...

(laugh) Works out great for them. Imagine that, walking
into a store and having to pull out your bank statement to see
how much you owe?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

> expenditures

> > > I can see the point he's making in a general way -- the rich should
> > > give more to charity, pay proportionate taxes, etc. But if a product is
> > > $25, it's $25 no matter who is paying the bill. Menu pricess don't come
> > > in "poor", "middle", and "rich" varieties.

> > Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> > 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> > sandwiches.

> It reminds me of visiting Communist countries during the 70's, they often
> had one (low) price for the locals for stuff (train and air fares, museum
> admissions, hotels, etc.) and an inflated price ("payable in convertible
> currency") for folks visiting from capitalist lands...
>
> I think some places e.g. Russian, Cuba, India, etc. still have this kind of
> pricing for some things...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Are you kidding? You must not travel very much, or pay close attention.
Most tourist places I've been, both in and out of the US, have 2 sets
of prices. One for locals, one for outsiders. The posted/published
prices are for the tourists. But everyone in town knows what the locals
pay, espeically at restaurants.
Here in Co, we can get huge discounts on ski passes if we know where to
get the coupons. I used to have relatives who lived in S. Fla, and we
always got huge discounts for Disney World through them. Couldn't get
those coupons up here!
I've stood in line at local grocery stores in some of these places and
watched what the person in front of me is charged and then compared it
with what I was charged. Often is was very different.
In my experience, 2 sets of prices are the norm in most these places.
Doesn't bother me, which is good, because there's nothing I can do
about it. It's called "life"!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > It reminds me of visiting Communist countries during the 70's, they

often
> > had one (low) price for the locals for stuff (train and air fares,

museum
> > admissions, hotels, etc.) and an inflated price ("payable in convertible
> > currency") for folks visiting from capitalist lands...
> >
> > I think some places e.g. Russian, Cuba, India, etc. still have this kind

of
> > pricing for some things...
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> Are you kidding? You must not travel very much, or pay close attention.
> Most tourist places I've been, both in and out of the US, have 2 sets
> of prices. One for locals, one for outsiders. The posted/published
> prices are for the tourists. But everyone in town knows what the locals
> pay, espeically at restaurants.

I'm talking about places that set these prices by government fiat, not
commercial offers. The prices for locals are set lower because local wages
are generally lower. In the case of the Communist countries I was talking
about, some of these services (hotels, etc.) were not available to locals at
*all* because the locals were forbidden from even having "convertible"
currency (dollars, francs, west marks, pounds, etc.). East Germany, for
example, had a whole chain of deluxe hotels called "Interhotels" set aside
exclusively for the use of hard currency Western tourists. If you were a
Westerner, you stood in a separate ticket line at the Reiseburo der DDR
travel agency and paid a much higher price in hard currency for their
services...it was pretty much the same in the USSR, China, etc. Everyone
purchasing such services was always required to show their internal
passport/ID card/passport so there was no way a Westerner could get away
with avoiding paying the higher prices...

In the old East Germany or USSR it was absolutely impossible to get a
tourist visa to visit the place (except a day visa if you were visiting from
West Berlin) unless you booked and paid for the requisite number of hotel
nights first, only then would you be given a visa. I stayed in a friend's
flat in Dresden but I was *required* to pay $40.00/night (this was 1978) to
"stay" in an Interhotel - an Interhotel in which I never even used the bed.
This was a way not only to extort hard currency from "rich" Westerners, it
was a way for the Stasi or KGB or whatever (secret police) to track a
visitor's movements...

Czechoslovakia was a bit less dire, you could get a visitor's visa for a
length of stay and upon your arrival in that country you were simply
required to pay something like $15.00 per day in hard currency which was
exchanged and given back to you in Czech Crowns ("minimum daily exchange
requirement" I think was the phrase; and this was at the nonsensical
"official" rate of exchange: $1.00 per 6 Czech Crowns, not the much more
equitable black market rate of around $1.00 = 30.00 cks. Money in these
places really was "funny money" in the truest sense of the word ). No
nonsense with hotel bookings, etc., you were free to go where you wished and
stay where you wished, you could pay in Czech crowns for everything...same
scheme respectively for Hungary and Poland. Those places weren't so closed
and paranoid...

Cuba still operates like the old East Germany/USSR, if you're Canadian or
European or whatever you are segregated because you'll be paying most
everything with your hard Western currency, in fact there is no need to
change your Loonies or Euros or Yen into domestic Cuban pesos at all, there
is very little for a capitalist visitor to even buy using domestic pesos.
Cubans have a whole different and lower price structure for everything, from
transport to food to hotels. As a capitalist visitor, you will generally
not be able to avail yourself of any of these services/products in any case.
Cubans likewise cannot even enter hotels, restos, resorts, etc. that are
reserved for "rich" capitalist tourists, armed guards are there to stop them
(and many Cubans have the dollars to patronise these places -- *if* they
were given the chance; they can however spend all they want in the
government "dollar shops" buying desirable goods) It's a form of "dollar
apartheid" -- and social control. Castro is not only hungry for dollars but
also paranoid...

IIRC in Russia museum entry prices still may be structured like this; there
are similar price schemes AFAIK for services/goods in less developed places
like India, etc...and of course there lots of places everywhere that offer
lower - priced services/goods to qualified groups like kids or pensioners,
etc., e.g. some local transport in the UK is cheap/free for UK pensioners
and so on. In Russia I think every form of transport (from buses to planes)
was/is absolutely free to disabled vets of the "Great Patriotic War"
(WWII)...those vets preferentially went to the head of the line (a fine idea
IMNSHO).

As for your example of "posted" restaurant prices, I think that's more of an
example of simply avoiding tourist traps that post their menus at places
like the Spanish Steps in Rome or Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco or
South Street Seaport in NYC or Navy Pier here in Chicago, etc. The locals in
any case wouldn't be caught dead in such joints :-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" ...
> > Because you make more money than someone who eats a lot of cobb salads,
> > you jerk.

> OK, another good point. What does my income have to do with tipping? If
> I'm a millionaire, am I expected to tip more for a meal than somebody of
> lesser means? Even if it is the same meal? Since when did tipping become
> an obligation indexed to the cost of the meal and one's income?

Since service was invented for rich people who paid their staff good
money and the fact that you're even getting someone else to "wait" for
you is a courtesy you probably don't deserve if you're so penurious
that you won't tip according to the amount you spend.

> It's called a gratuity for a reason. If the waitperson sucked ass, then
> don't tip them or tip them very much.

That's not the question. The question is what does good service
deserve. When the bill is large, the server deserves more of a tip for
the same level of service. Because expensive food is easier to **** up
with slight errors in service. Just getting it right is worth more
money.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> sandwiches.

No it isn't. Two people ordering identical tuna sandwiches in the same
place should pay the same tip.

One ordering it at a place that charges $4 for a tuna sandwich should
pay less tip than one ordering it at a place that charges $18 for it,
however.

And anyone wishing to change this system will shortly find that the
quality of service at the $18 places will approach the quality of
service at the $4 places, not the other way around.

And if they didn't want to tip that much for it they should take their
cheap ass and their squawling brats across the street to the $4 joint.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
>> 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
>> sandwiches.

> No it isn't. Two people ordering identical tuna sandwiches in the same
> place should pay the same tip.

Hello, that's what we were talking about.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> >> 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> >> sandwiches.

> > No it isn't. Two people ordering identical tuna sandwiches in the same
> > place should pay the same tip.

> Hello, that's what we were talking about.

I'm saying that's not what started it.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> > No it isn't. Two people ordering identical tuna sandwiches in the same
>> > place should pay the same tip.

>> Hello, that's what we were talking about.

> I'm saying that's not what started it.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You must
be talking about something else. We were talking about
the idea that rich people should pay more for the same
item in some store.

And my thinking was, two people ordering identical tuna
sandwiches in the same place should pay the same tip.

Hmmm ... where have I heard that before.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> > 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> > sandwiches.

> No it isn't. Two people ordering identical tuna sandwiches in the same
> place should pay the same tip.
>
> One ordering it at a place that charges $4 for a tuna sandwich should
> pay less tip than one ordering it at a place that charges $18 for it,
> however.

How much should one tip for a rabbit sandwich?

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> How much should one tip for a rabbit sandwich?

Nothing if you find a hare in it.
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time
>>> to pay, I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her.
>>> She came back with a five and a ten, and muttered something about
>>> "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but
>>> even though she wasn't a spectacular waitress, I didn't want to
>>> leave that little. We go to this place often, and we've had this
>>> waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent and that
>>> bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
>>> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other
>>> half of me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice
>>> between the $5 and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>>>
>>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more
>>> annoyed than when a server has come back with just big bills. The
>>> smart ones will usually break at least one of the bills down so
>>> you've got a ten, a five, and singles instead of a twenty, but
>>> sometimes they just come back with the change in whatever form is
>>> easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked someone to make change
>>> and had them say there was none.
>>>
>>> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things
>>> I learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change
>>> to leave a tip.
>>>
>>> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't
>>> seem to be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure
>>> I've got the right change for tipping.
>>>

>> You are too kind. A tip is supposed to reflect the overall service.
>> With the waitress either ignoring your request or intentionally
>> jerking you around in hopes of a larger tip, you would have been
>> 110% justified in leaving the smallish tip. If behaving like she did
>> does not have any consequences, why will she ever stop?

> The whole 15% tipping thing has got to go. I mean think about it.
> You go into a restaurant and you order the grilled lobster with a
> filet mignon and a bottle of their best wine. Now if instead you had
> ordered the Cobb salad and an iced tea you would have put the
> waitperson though absolutely no extra effort to serve you. Their
> effort is not a reflection of the price of the meal. So why should
> they get a substantially larger tip just because you ordered a more
> expensive meal?
>
> Paul

Obviously you've never worked in a restaurant. The salad doesn't make
itself. And I can guarauntee the line cook isn't making that salad, nor the
chef at the back of the line.

Heh, yes, the waitress puts your salad together. He/she also brews the tea
you are drinking and the brews the coffee, too. Refills those ketchup
bottles (it's called marrying ketchup); rolls that silverware in those neat
little bundles in linen. Thankfully, we didn't t have to wash the
silverware or wash the linen we spent an hour rolliing the silverware in. I
used get extra money by offering to roll silverware. It's a tedious job but
for an extra $20 bucks, why not?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "D.Currie" > wrote in message

> > I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> > learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave
> > a tip.
> >
> > In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to
> > be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the
> > right change for tipping.
> >
> > --
> > Donna
> >

> How old was the waitress? I find lately that when you're dealing with anyone
> under maybe 35-ish, you have to spell everything out as if you were giving
> arts & crafts instructions to kindergarten kids. Remember how politicians
> ranted about problems with our education system throughout the 1990s? We're
> living with the product of the failed system. A generation of idiots.

The products of the dumbing down of education and it will only get
worse with "No Child Left Behind" type policies. t's not just happening
in America either - it's an international phenomena that produces
populations of non thinking sheep who blindly swallow everything their
governments tell them - hook, line, and sinker.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

> expenditures

> > > I can see the point he's making in a general way -- the rich should
> > > give more to charity, pay proportionate taxes, etc. But if a product is
> > > $25, it's $25 no matter who is paying the bill. Menu pricess don't come
> > > in "poor", "middle", and "rich" varieties.

> > Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> > 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> > sandwiches.

> It reminds me of visiting Communist countries during the 70's, they often
> had one (low) price for the locals for stuff (train and air fares, museum
> admissions, hotels, etc.) and an inflated price ("payable in convertible
> currency") for folks visiting from capitalist lands...
>
> I think some places e.g. Russian, Cuba, India, etc. still have this kind of
> pricing for some things...

It's still alive and well in third world countries. Two different
admission prices, two different bus fares for tourist destinations,
etc. all payable in local currency though. On the other hand, if you
are a senior citizen (60 or over) they knock 25% off the price of
everything - fast food, sit down restaurants, bus fares, admission
prices, even doctor and hospital visits . SO had 25% knocked off his
inpatient hospital bill when he had food poisoning.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have some rich friends who pay for virtually nothing -- not a good
example --if they did tip it would be a pittance compared to the free night
out on the town.

It is about service. It is priceless to have a waitress who will even
sometimes buck restaurant policy to make sure the diners enjoy themselves
for that tip. Give me a waitress who puts the order slip in her pocket until
she sees you are truly through with each previous course before serving the
next. I hate to have to send back an entree that is served when I have
barely touched my salad because I am enjoying conversation and the wine, but
I will. The food is the most important part of a good dinner, but the
process of eating it can make or break its enjoyment.

It's like sex --you have to tell them how you like it and give them their
props. If by the end of the second time they haven't learned your
preferences, you may need to move to another waitress.--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

"SD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:

If

of

become

> > > The rich are obligated to foot a greater percentage of all

expenditures
> > > because they earn more. People should pay in proportion to what they
> > > earn in order for justice to prevail.

> > You cannot be serious.
> >
> > nancy

> Of course he is. It's right out of Karl Marx.
>
> SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:30:50 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Obviously you've never worked in a restaurant. The salad doesn't make
>itself. And I can guarauntee the line cook isn't making that salad, nor the
>chef at the back of the line.

I think that was his point. Order the salad for $8, and your 15% tip
is $1.20. Order a $20 dinner and your 15% tip is $3.00.

Why does the waitress get a better or worse tip based on the cost of
the meal?

Or take breakfast. That is typically cheaper than dinner. So, the
morning people make less money because the meals are cheaper?

The precedent is already set, but wouldn't it make more sense to base
the amount of the tip on the actual service, and maye the amount of
service you received?

Sometimes, I feel irritated to give a tip when all the lady did was
take my order and come back with it later. It was one plate, nothing
special. I didn't any special requests. I didn't ask for a box. I saw
the lady for less than two minutes total, but I have to pay her $2,
and my friend has to pay $2 for the same service. I know it sounds
cheap, and I realize they don't always get a lot of tips, but you
figure $4 for barely any service (at least to me and my friend), and
they're making pretty good money. Just 3 tables in an hour would pay
better than what I make.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meghan Noecker wrote:
> Just 3 tables in an hour would pay
> better than what I make.

There aren't that many prime hours in a waitressing day.

The more you bought, the more trouble it is.

It varies based on the complexity of the item, but in general, tipping
based on cost averages out the effort and the value over your life and
theirs.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meghan Noecker wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:30:50 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>

> >Obviously you've never worked in a restaurant. The salad doesn't make
> >itself. And I can guarauntee the line cook isn't making that salad, nor the
> >chef at the back of the line.
> >

> I think that was his point. Order the salad for $8, and your 15% tip
> is $1.20. Order a $20 dinner and your 15% tip is $3.00.
>
> Why does the waitress get a better or worse tip based on the cost of
> the meal?
>
> Or take breakfast. That is typically cheaper than dinner. So, the
> morning people make less money because the meals are cheaper?
>
> The precedent is already set, but wouldn't it make more sense to base
> the amount of the tip on the actual service, and maye the amount of
> service you received?
>
> Sometimes, I feel irritated to give a tip when all the lady did was
> take my order and come back with it later. It was one plate, nothing
> special. I didn't any special requests. I didn't ask for a box. I saw
> the lady for less than two minutes total, but I have to pay her $2,
> and my friend has to pay $2 for the same service. I know it sounds
> cheap, and I realize they don't always get a lot of tips, but you
> figure $4 for barely any service (at least to me and my friend), and
> they're making pretty good money. Just 3 tables in an hour would pay
> better than what I make.
>

> --
> Meghan & the Zoo Crew
> Equine and Pet Photography
> http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

There's always a big difference in perspective between those who've
never waited in a restaurant and those who have. I waited on tables in
a Marie Callenders for 2 months many years ago. I've tipped much better
since. Anyone who thinks it's easy, or that they make great money,
simply hasn't done it. There are a very few that make good money
working in up-scale fancy restaurants, but they earn every dime of it
by giving up-scale fancy service! And as others have said, the effort
is usually proportional to the size of the check. Wait people do a lot
of work for almost no base pay. If they don't make good tips, the don't
make a living. And there are a lot of people who either straight up
stiff them, or tip just enough to say they tipped. People who don't
want to tip give all kinds of reasons, but let's be honest. If you
don't tip 20% for good, not superb, service, you're just plain cheap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
says...
> There's always a big difference in perspective between those who've
> never waited in a restaurant and those who have. I waited on tables in
> a Marie Callenders for 2 months many years ago. I've tipped much better
> since. Anyone who thinks it's easy, or that they make great money,
> simply hasn't done it. There are a very few that make good money
> working in up-scale fancy restaurants, but they earn every dime of it
> by giving up-scale fancy service! And as others have said, the effort
> is usually proportional to the size of the check. Wait people do a lot
> of work for almost no base pay. If they don't make good tips, the don't
> make a living. And there are a lot of people who either straight up
> stiff them, or tip just enough to say they tipped. People who don't
> want to tip give all kinds of reasons, but let's be honest. If you
> don't tip 20% for good, not superb, service, you're just plain cheap!

No, 15% is for good service in most (that is, not really upscale)
restaurants. 20% is for significantly better than good service. This tip
inflation is a ploy by people in the industry to screw the customer and
line their own pockets. And don't give me the inflation crap - as meal
prices go up, the dollar amount of tips at 15% goes up exactly the same.

Yes, some people stiff the waiters, and that really *is* cheap, but it
is not the duty of other customers to make it up.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Mar 2006 08:39:03 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:

>want to tip give all kinds of reasons, but let's be honest. If you
>don't tip 20% for good, not superb, service, you're just plain cheap!

Now it's 20% for just good service? What do you pay for great service?

Dang. I pay 15%- 20% for good and great service depending on what's
closest to the dollar. I'll round up for the great service. 10% for
decent service. I guess I better not go out ever again. I can't afford
to pay inflated food prices plus tax AND a 20+% tip.

For the most part, I avoid sit down restaurants. They usually mess up
my order, so I am guaranteed to be disappointed anyway. And never
steak. I've only gotten one steak that I enjoyed more than what I can
cook at home.

And what do you do when the food is crap? For example, I ordered the
all you can eat shrimp at one place. The waitress was wonderful, even
gave me extra to take home. But the shrimp was crap. I left feeliing
disatisfied and hungry. I gave the extra shrimp to the cat. I did
leave her a tip as she was nice, but I felt totally ripped, having
paid $12 (plus tax and tip) for a meal I did not like at all. I won't
ever go back there.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Mar 2006 06:40:46 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:

>I probably eat out less often because I tip 20% for good service,
>higher for better service. If you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't
>eat out.

Thanks. I didn't realize that I couldn't even afford Dennys. I'll stay
home from now on.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

I really don't know. Does anybody who worked in a restaurant know for
sure? In he end, I think the most direct approach would be, please get
me singles so I can leave the appropriate tip. It's honest and to the
point. When I need the singles for a tip, I just ask the server to
change again the $5 or $10 bill.

Since I am specifically asking for single dollar bills, the cashier
must give them to the server regardless if she wishes to part with the
singles in case she has a string of 20's in a row or even some 50's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Dave Smith wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>
> > > Dang. I pay 15%- 20% for good and great service depending on what's
> > > closest to the dollar. I'll round up for the great service. 10% for
> > > decent service. I guess I better not go out ever again. I can't afford
> > > to pay inflated food prices plus tax AND a 20+% tip.
> > >

> > I probably eat out less often because I tip 20% for good service,
> > higher for better service. If you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't
> > eat out.

> Thanks. I will remember not to eat at places where the waiters demand 20%
> tips.

<sarcasm alert>
It's a deathspiral now....Since we won't be eating at places where they
demand 20% tip, they'll have less clients and less income from tips.
They'll demand 25% tip to make up for lost income.....and on it goes...

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SD wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I probably eat out less often because I tip 20% for good service,
> > > higher for better service. If you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't
> > > eat out.

> > Thanks. I will remember not to eat at places where the waiters demand 20%
> > tips.

> <sarcasm alert>
> It's a deathspiral now....Since we won't be eating at places where they
> demand 20% tip, they'll have less clients and less income from tips.
> They'll demand 25% tip to make up for lost income.....and on it goes...
>
> SD

O no!!! Because of my post, the restaurant business is doomed!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> O no!!! Because of my post, the restaurant business is doomed!!!

No,I think you've improved it by increasing the per-check revenues for
everyone.

--Blair
"Cheap people stay home!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > O no!!! Because of my post, the restaurant business is doomed!!!

> No,I think you've improved it by increasing the per-check revenues for
> everyone.
>
> --Blair
> "Cheap people stay home!"

Then I've done my good deed for the day, I can mark my Boy Scout
calendar. Oops, I forgot, the BS are badddddddd!