Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bad waitress tricks

me wrote:

> Now writing a check is about as easy as paying with dollar coins and
> two-dollar bills. So it seems most folks here are using plastic.
> But, yeah, the behavior hasn't changed much.

Not a problem paying for things with $1 coins here. We had $2 bills until a few
years ago when they pulled them and introduced $2 coins. A pocket full of change
can add up to quite a bit of money now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> D.Currie wrote:
>> "pgluth1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> OMG, I find myself agreeing with Sheldon.
>>>

>> To be honest, I think she may not completely understand what we're
>> saying sometimes. Which is why I gave her the benefit of the doubt
>> and gave her the better tip. I'm also hoping we'll get one of the old
>> waiters next time we go there.
>>

> Make a point of learning the names of the "good" servers. It's always a
> plus when a server gets 'call customers'; that is, someone who
> specifically
> asks to be seated in their section. When a server gets repeat customers,
> you'll find you get better and better service as time goes on because the
> server appreciates the recognition just as much as an appropriate tip.
>
> Jill

Actually, we do that a lot at certain places, but up until this one
waitress, service at this place had been really good, no matter which
server. Next time we get a good one, I'll have to remember to ask for a
name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> me wrote:
>
>> Now writing a check is about as easy as paying with dollar coins
>> and two-dollar bills. So it seems most folks here are using
>> plastic. But, yeah, the behavior hasn't changed much.

> Not a problem paying for things with $1 coins here. We had $2
> bills until a few years ago when they pulled them and introduced
> $2 coins. A pocket full of change can add up to quite a bit of
> money now.

And there are rumours of a 5$ coin. And doing away with the penny
because they can't make it for a penny anymore.

In Spain (and other European countries), lower denominations like 5 and
10 centavos were made of unpolished aluminium. Now that they have the
Euro, I'm not sure what happened to the old money. Turned in I guess.

When Canada went from the L.s.d. system to decimal in 1857 (so as to
align it with US currency), the old coins still had value, but at the
new rate. The half-crown was used as a 25 cent piece. It had formerly
been 2s 6d, a value of 30d which was called in Québec "un trente sous"
(a thirty cent piece), which seemed illogical unless you know currency
history.

When I was a boy, you would commonly hear someone refer to a 25 cent
piece as a "trente sous". I heard it used as recently as the summer of
1984 on the ferry from Les Ecoumins to Trois-Pistoles. The expression
is no longer in common usage, unfortunately.

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> D.Currie wrote:
>
>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed
>> than when a server has come back with just big bills.

> I haven't read the whole thread with all the responses so forgive me if
> this has been brought up before, but do you remember your exact words when
> you asked her for change? I ask because, if I pay for a $5 purchase with
> a $20 bill, getting a ten and a five back IS change according to the way
> the word is commonly used. If there's no purchase, and I just ask for
> change for a twenty, I might get back 2 tens. That's considered change.
> Or the cashier might ask me specifically how I'd like it and give me the
> chance to say I'd like a ten, a five and 5 ones. From the way your
> original post is written, I'd say the waitress was busy and low on
> singles. She may have been doing her reasonable best, came back with the
> news that there was no change to convey the idea that she couldn't find
> singles and thought it more important to bring you your money quickly.
> Her error might have been more in using the wrong turn of phrase than in
> conniving or lying.

I don't remember exactly what I said, but I think no matter what, it may
have been that she didn't understand what I wanted. She might have thought I
meant "coins" and I didn't get any coin change either, she just rounded the
bill to the dollar, which is how I ended up with just a five and a ten.

Frankly, her English isn't very good.

I'm still giving her the benefit of the doubt that she just doesn't
understand, but this is the second time we've had a communication problem
with her, and we've never had issues with any of the waiters at this place.
The waiters, if they don't understand, will do what they have to do figure
it out. She just nods and smiles like she knows what we want, but I have my
doubts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2006 13:12:13 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, "Sheldon"
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
> >
> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >> In article .com>,
> >> "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >> (snip)

> >I don't like your method, even on the few occasions that I do pay with
> >plastic I still tip in cash... the server is entitled to receive their
> >tip in CASH, in HAND, and when service is rendered. Obviously you
> >never worked a job where tips were the major portion of your income.
> >
> >Those who *choose* to use cash are obligated to have proper funds... I
> >choose to pay with green money, I can't remember the last time I
> >required change back at a restaurant. As a cash person I know it's
> >ABCs basic to carry cash in proper denominations so that I never need
> >to receive change back (just like your plastic). And as I've said many
> >times previously, I ALWAYS place the tip directly into the server's
> >hand, I NEVER leave it on the table (and would never dine anywhere
> >where the gratuity is included). I hand over the tip when the bill
> >arrives... I knew what my bill will be when I placed the order, don't
> >really need to see the bill to figure the tip... I pay the server
> >before I pay the house. Service and merchandise are two separate
> >transactions.... the tip is wages same as if the server were in my
> >employ, in fact they are. It's none of the bosses beeswax how much I
> >tip, that's between me and the server. And I'm a very good tipper,
> >places I frequent know it, in fact I generally get the same waitress
> >all the time and get attended to as soon as I walk in the door. And
> >yes, call it what you will, but I do indeed tip well for cleavage... I
> >consider T & A an important part of my dining pleasure... otherwise I'd
> >eat at home, I really don't need anyone to cook for me... but I do
> >enjoy my meal much more a la bazooms... and there are no pretentions
> >about it, I know and so does she... a little innocent ogling creates a
> >much more enjoyable experience, for me and for her. There is no law
> >forbidding looking... women do it too, and far more than men. The
> >trick is to know how without being cheap/tawdry.
> >
> >Sheldon

> *applauding*
>
> Well said.

Why do you think that? Sheldon is wrong in perhaps every possible way.

A restaurant is a service. Its job is to provide for those entering.
One of the services is to make payment as seamless as possible, part of
which includes going out of your way to ensure that exact change can be
made at all times and upon reasonble request. Another is to make the
staff as affable and helpful as possible. Any service that refuses to
serve a good customer for petty reasons deserves to die broke.

However, there is absolutely no reason that staff should whore
themselves to shill for an extra nickel tip from a perverse troll like
Sheldon. If he wants sleaze, he can go to Hooters, where the food is
pointless and the women are cheap and overdressed for the purpose. Or
he can just go to hell, where his evil and confused worldview is the
program.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote in
> :
>

>>me wrote:
>>

>>>Now writing a check is about as easy as paying with dollar coins
>>>and two-dollar bills. So it seems most folks here are using
>>>plastic. But, yeah, the behavior hasn't changed much.

>>Not a problem paying for things with $1 coins here. We had $2
>>bills until a few years ago when they pulled them and introduced
>>$2 coins. A pocket full of change can add up to quite a bit of
>>money now.

> And there are rumours of a 5$ coin. And doing away with the penny
> because they can't make it for a penny anymore.

Oh no! The only good things about the loonie and toonie is they really
add up in the piggy bank. They are a pain to carry very many in your
pocket or purse

> In Spain (and other European countries), lower denominations like 5 and
> 10 centavos were made of unpolished aluminium. Now that they have the
> Euro, I'm not sure what happened to the old money. Turned in I guess.
>
> When Canada went from the L.s.d. system to decimal in 1857 (so as to
> align it with US currency), the old coins still had value, but at the
> new rate. The half-crown was used as a 25 cent piece. It had formerly
> been 2s 6d, a value of 30d which was called in Québec "un trente sous"
> (a thirty cent piece), which seemed illogical unless you know currency
> history.
>
> When I was a boy, you would commonly hear someone refer to a 25 cent
> piece as a "trente sous". I heard it used as recently as the summer of
> 1984 on the ferry from Les Ecoumins to Trois-Pistoles. The expression
> is no longer in common usage, unfortunately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> I don't like your method, even on the few occasions that I do pay with
> plastic I still tip in cash... the server is entitled to receive their
> tip in CASH, in HAND, and when service is rendered. [snip]

Yes, this is what I've always done, too. Over the years I've had
numerous servers tell me they like that. A few times I have had to
add the tip to the credit card when I've lacked the cash, but I make an
effort to avoid that. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Change for big bills. Was: Bad waitress tricks

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
> marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
> "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
> they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
> then?

Just a comment. Peter, some of that has to do with the 50 or 100 being
counterfeit, not just the ability to make change. The $100 bill is the
one most counterfeited and when I was a kitten working retail we were
instructed to not accept them because of the fear of forgery.

Each year at the Festival of Nations where I do my egg trick, we're
always reminded to be cautious about forgeries -- $20 bills especially,
in that scenario because there's a lot that can be purchased for not
much money and change (for a bogus 20) will be returned.

Prices being what they are, seeing a fifty dollar bill isn't as uncommon
as it was 45 years ago. FWIW.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> > And there are rumours of a 5$ coin. And doing away with the penny
> > because they can't make it for a penny anymore.

> Oh no! The only good things about the loonie and toonie is they really
> add up in the piggy bank. They are a pain to carry very many in your
> pocket or purse

I don't know about you but I like it when my change purse gets a little heavy
and it turns out to have more than $20 in it, or when I get some things in
the store that add up to more than $10-15 and I can pay for it with my pocket
change.

> > In Spain (and other European countries), lower denominations like 5 and
> > 10 centavos were made of unpolished aluminium. Now that they have the
> > Euro, I'm not sure what happened to the old money. Turned in I guess.
> >
> > When Canada went from the L.s.d. system to decimal in 1857 (so as to
> > align it with US currency), the old coins still had value, but at the
> > new rate. The half-crown was used as a 25 cent piece. It had formerly
> > been 2s 6d, a value of 30d which was called in Québec "un trente sous"
> > (a thirty cent piece), which seemed illogical unless you know currency
> > history.
> >
> > When I was a boy, you would commonly hear someone refer to a 25 cent
> > piece as a "trente sous". I heard it used as recently as the summer of
> > 1984 on the ferry from Les Ecoumins to Trois-Pistoles. The expression
> > is no longer in common usage, unfortunately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> At the one restaurant where we are regulars, I tip very well, but
>>> expect great service.
>>> When we go in there and are assigned a server who doesn't know us,
>>> (s)he brings water and chips&salsa, just like for every customer.
>>> After the server goes back to the back, (s)he acts differently,
>>> obviously having been told by other staff that I am a huge tipper,
>>> but only for spectacular service. I also often tip with $2 bills,
>>> which
>>> just serves to highlight the size of the gratuity.
>>>

>> All well and good, but what about people who do not go to a
>> restaurant regularly? It's nice to be known and treated well because
>> of your tipping, but relatively few people I think patronize any
>> restaurant that frequently.

> Really? I know people who have favorite restaurants, and the owners
> know some of them by name.

Bully for you. I know very few people who go to a restaurant on such a
regular basis that the server(s), let alone the owners know them by name.
I'm certainly not one of them.

>> And then what about the other patrons? Suppose I came to your
>> restaurant as an unknown. Is my service going to be slighted because
>> the waitress is busy attending to her known big tippers?

Exactly. They have no idea whether or not I'll tip well or stiff them. I
still expect excellent service. If I get it, they get an excellent tip. Of
course, having been on the receiving end I take into consideration a number
of factors. Is the restaurant/server slammed? I make allowances for
delays. It's a plus if the server stops by to apologize for the delay and
ask if I need something in the meantime.

Is the restaurant slow and I can see the server hanging out chatting with
other servers by the coffee/tea station when I've been waiting for a refill?
I adjust the tip downward; chit chat on your break.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:06:59 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>Food Snob wrote:
>> Peter Aitken wrote:
>>> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> All well and good, but what about people who do not go to a
>>> restaurant regularly? It's nice to be known and treated well because
>>> of your tipping, but relatively few people I think patronize any
>>> restaurant that frequently.

>> Really? I know people who have favorite restaurants, and the owners
>> know some of them by name.
>>>

>Bully for you. I know very few people who go to a restaurant on such a
>regular basis that the server(s), let alone the owners know them by name.
>I'm certainly not one of them.

You gotta be kidding?! And you worked the hostess station, too? One of
my very first service jobs was noticing who the regulars were and
remembering what their requirements were.

Return customers are immediately bankable for everyone.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:56:19 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>>This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
>>marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted."

>Gas and convenience stations have done this for years....nothing new
>here.

My old Chevy Suburban has a 40 gallon gas tank. If I put $92.00 of gas
in it at a gas station, they'd better take my hundred dollar bill. :/
--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA >
Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andrew wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > D.Currie wrote:
> >> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> >> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> >> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> >> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> >> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> >> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> >> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> >> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> >> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> >> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
> >>
> >> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> >> when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> >> break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> >> singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> >> change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> >> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
> >>
> >> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> >> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> >> tip.

> > Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> > waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
> > ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
> > they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
> > hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
> > add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant, NOT
> > a bank, you imbecile.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Nice talk. You kiss your mother (or boyfriend) with that mouth?
> It's not a bank, true, but as a functioning business establishment
> they'd better have change at all times if they want to stay in business.
> Being able to change money is inherent to running that type of venue.
> Otherwise all patrons would have to pay with either credit cards,
> checks, or exact change in cash for their meal...not gonna happen.

You don't read too gud, try without moving your scuzzy lips... the
patron did indeed receive change. It is NOT a restaurant's
responsibility to give change in any particular denominations... and it
is never the server's duty to do more than bring the change given by
the cashier... servers do not operate the till. If you want change get
up off your fat ass and ask the cashier... only a low life cheap
******* would nickle and dime the server, obviously to squeak out of
giving a proper tip. What's the big deal about tipping an extra two
bucks, sheesh!

> Sounds to me like the waitress lied,

Liars think everyone is lying, that's your disease, Paranoia.

The server didn't lie, she had no motive to lie... very likely the
cashier was running low on singles... you're too stingy to fork over a
couple extra bucks don't eat out.

and she'd either get zilch from me,

Cheap *******.. would you also not tip for good service if the food
sucked, probably, a douchebag like you. The OP lied, her entire story
was a fabrication... the math doesn't add up... but a low IQ schmoo
like you would never realize.

> or maybe the five, if I'm feeling magnanimous.
> andrew

Obviously widdle andy boy intends never to return... good riddance to
bad rubbish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:

> I don't remember exactly what I said, but I think no matter what, it may
> have been that she didn't understand what I wanted. She might have thought I
> meant "coins" and I didn't get any coin change either, she just rounded the
> bill to the dollar, which is how I ended up with just a five and a ten.
>
> Frankly, her English isn't very good.

Ah, this makes sense. When motivations can be attributed to ignorance
or malice, I tend to go with ingorance.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> You don't read too gud, try without moving your scuzzy lips... the
> patron did indeed receive change. It is NOT a restaurant's
> responsibility to give change in any particular denominations... and it
> is never the server's duty to do more than bring the change given by
> the cashier... servers do not operate the till. If you want change get
> up off your fat ass and ask the cashier... only a low life cheap
> ******* would nickle and dime the server, obviously to squeak out of
> giving a proper tip. What's the big deal about tipping an extra two
> bucks, sheesh!

maybe she didn't show enough titty???

> Liars think everyone is lying, that's your disease, Paranoia.

am I the only one who sees the irony flooding off this line? It's like the
irony dam burst and I'm floating around in it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:06:59 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
> >Food Snob wrote:

> >> Really? I know people who have favorite restaurants, and the owners
> >> know some of them by name.
> >>>

> >Bully for you. I know very few people who go to a restaurant on such a
> >regular basis that the server(s), let alone the owners know them by name.
> >I'm certainly not one of them.

> You gotta be kidding?! And you worked the hostess station, too? One of
> my very first service jobs was noticing who the regulars were and
> remembering what their requirements were.
>
> Return customers are immediately bankable for everyone.
>
> The Ranger

Not only do the restaurants I regularly frequent know me by name they
also have my mailing address on file... I receive advertisements for
specials, discount coupons, and a holiday greeting card... the steak
house down the road includes two free drink coupons with their holiday
card. Even before I moved here I had my regular haunts on Lung Island,
there too they knew me by name, they knew my drink, my favorite meal
and how I liked it prepared. I frequented the same Chinese restaurant
almost exclusively for more than twenty years... a family run
business... they all knew me by name. Often, especially on most all
holidays, especially Chinese holidays, the the owner would bring a
bottle of plum brandy and sit himself down and enjoy a few minutes
chatting while sharing a few drinks... we still have an ongoing bet on
whose spare rib recipe is better... and even though I no longer go
there they have my address here and they still send me their fabulous
Chinese New Year calendar.

Naturally the cheap *******s who don't tip like adults have no
restarants they regularly frequent... I don't think The Clown cares
what anyones name is.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>

> > You don't read too gud, try without moving your scuzzy lips... the
> > patron did indeed receive change. It is NOT a restaurant's
> > responsibility to give change in any particular denominations...

It's not a restaurant's responsibility to serve you undercooked meat,
anything but iceberg lettuce, gravy that flows, ice cream above 0
degrees F, or water that doesn't taste like bleach.

But they will, if they want any customer to return.

> > and it
> > is never the server's duty to do more than bring the change given by
> > the cashier... servers do not operate the till.

Customers who aren't cattle don't give a **** about restaurant
fiduciary policy.

If a customer wants change so he can make out an accurate tip, he
deserves it.

Given that restaurants are permitted by law to offer sub-minimum wage,
and the server's pay is dependent on tipping, it's the restaurant's
responsibility not to interfere with server pay by ****ing off the
customer through petty policy failures.

> > If you want change get
> > up off your fat ass and ask the cashier...

Sheldon does not understand the concept of "service" in the slightest,
and proves he'd rather make an egregiously stupid and false argument
than just shut up and rest on his earlier mistakes.

> > only a low life cheap
> > ******* would nickle and dime the server, obviously to squeak out of
> > giving a proper tip.

Weren't you just saying you'd up the tip a couple of pennies for a
nipple show? Speaking of lowlifes.

> > What's the big deal about tipping an extra two
> > bucks, sheesh!

> maybe she didn't show enough titty???

Maybe she didn't give Sheldon's oxygen tank enough of a curtsey.

> > Liars think everyone is lying, that's your disease, Paranoia.

> am I the only one who sees the irony flooding off this line? It's like the
> irony dam burst and I'm floating around in it.

Irony, projection, plain lying, that's all Sheldon has.

Poor shriveled worthless bag of shit that he is.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Just a comment. Peter, some of that has to do with the 50 or 100 being
> counterfeit, not just the ability to make change. The $100 bill is the
> one most counterfeited and when I was a kitten working retail we were
> instructed to not accept them because of the fear of forgery.
>
> Each year at the Festival of Nations where I do my egg trick, we're
> always reminded to be cautious about forgeries -- $20 bills especially,
> in that scenario because there's a lot that can be purchased for not
> much money and change (for a bogus 20) will be returned.
>
> Prices being what they are, seeing a fifty dollar bill isn't as uncommon
> as it was 45 years ago. FWIW.

$50 is the norm, then I pay for stuff.

When I worked retail, we had pens we had to use to mark the bills - $20
and higher- to see if they were conterfeit.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:06:59 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>> Food Snob wrote:

>>> Really? I know people who have favorite restaurants, and the owners
>>> know some of them by name.
>>>>

>> Bully for you. I know very few people who go to a restaurant on
>> such a regular basis that the server(s), let alone the owners know
>> them by name. I'm certainly not one of them.

> You gotta be kidding?! And you worked the hostess station, too? One of
> my very first service jobs was noticing who the regulars were and
> remembering what their requirements were.
>
> Return customers are immediately bankable for everyone.
>
> The Ranger

I said I wasn't a *regular customer* at any restaurant, not that I didn't
recognize regular customers when I was a hostess. We're talking about 16
years ago. I don't go to any restaurant on a regular basis otherwhise I'd
know the hostesses and the servers and probably the chefs and line cooks,
too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> > We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to

pay,
> > I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back
> > with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change."
> > Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a
> > spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this
> > place often, and we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was

more
> > than 20 percent and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just

> > little too dumb to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but
> > the other half of me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the
> > choice between the $5 and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
> >
> > Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed
> > than when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones

will
> > usually break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a

five,
> > and singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with
> > the change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever

asked
> > someone to make change and had them say there was none.
> >
> > I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> > learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to

leave
> > a tip.
> >
> > In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem

> > be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the
> > right change for tipping.
> >

> You are too kind. A tip is supposed to reflect the overall service. With

the
> waitress either ignoring your request or intentionally jerking you around

in
> hopes of a larger tip, you would have been 110% justified in leaving the
> smallish tip. If behaving like she did does not have any consequences, why
> will she ever stop?

The whole 15% tipping thing has got to go. I mean think about it. You go
into a restaurant and you order the grilled lobster with a filet mignon and
a bottle of their best wine. Now if instead you had ordered the Cobb salad
and an iced tea you would have put the waitperson though absolutely no extra
effort to serve you. Their effort is not a reflection of the price of the
meal. So why should they get a substantially larger tip just because you
ordered a more expensive meal?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> The whole 15% tipping thing has got to go. I mean think about it. You go
> into a restaurant and you order the grilled lobster with a filet mignon and
> a bottle of their best wine. Now if instead you had ordered the Cobb salad
> and an iced tea you would have put the waitperson though absolutely no extra
> effort to serve you. Their effort is not a reflection of the price of the
> meal. So why should they get a substantially larger tip just because you
> ordered a more expensive meal?

Here here. That has been my long-standing argument. Look at wines. If I order a
$20 the waiter has to grab the bottle of ($8 marked up to $20) wine, bring some
glasses and a corkscrew, open the wine and pour it. For that service, I am
expected to pay a $3 tip. If I order a $40 bottle, I get the exact same service,
but now I am expected to pay a $6 tip, and if it is a $100 I am expected to pay
$15... all for the exact level of service I I got with the $3 tip on the $20
bottle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:34:56 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>D.Currie wrote:
>
>> I don't remember exactly what I said, but I think no matter what, it may
>> have been that she didn't understand what I wanted. She might have thought I
>> meant "coins" and I didn't get any coin change either, she just rounded the
>> bill to the dollar, which is how I ended up with just a five and a ten.
>>
>> Frankly, her English isn't very good.

>Ah, this makes sense. When motivations can be attributed to ignorance
>or malice, I tend to go with ingorance.

See sig:

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

--
"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
stupidity."

- Nick Diamos

To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox""Never attribute to malice
what can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On 18 Mar 2006 09:33:38 -0800, "Blair P. Houghton"
> > wrote:
>
> >If he wants sleaze, he can go to Hooters, where the food is
> >pointless and the women are cheap and overdressed for the purpose. Or
> >he can just go to hell, where his evil and confused worldview is the
> >program.

> The two PBK college gals I know who work at Hooters will be right
> over. Would you rather be bashed with medical books or law books?

They can suck my cock and explain why they're working for tips in a
wing joint instead of returning some value on their parents' investment
in their college.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldick, not everyone was delivering papers printed on Gutenberg's
first press.

Get over your sorry self. When I delivered papers, a month's delivery
was several dollars but never exactly in dollars, and I carried a sack
of silver out on my collection route.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Mar 2006 06:43:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Blair P.
Houghton?

> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> The whole 15% tipping thing has got to go. I mean think about it. You
>> go into a restaurant and you order the grilled lobster with a filet
>> mignon and a bottle of their best wine. Now if instead you had ordered
>> the Cobb salad and an iced tea you would have put the waitperson though
>> absolutely no extra effort to serve you. Their effort is not a
>> reflection of the price of the meal. So why should they get a
>> substantially larger tip just because you ordered a more expensive
>> meal?

> Because you make more money than someone who eats a lot of cobb salads,
> you jerk.

If a waitperson delivers two different meals, one of far greater monetary
value than the other, but requiring the same physical effort for each, why
should the tip be different for them? It makes no logical sense.

I tip on the quality of service and the effort involved. It's often a
large amount, but sometimes not.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> So why should they get a
> >> substantially larger tip just because you ordered a more expensive
> >> meal?

> > Because you make more money than someone who eats a lot of cobb salads,
> > you jerk.

> If a waitperson delivers two different meals, one of far greater monetary
> value than the other, but requiring the same physical effort for each, why
> should the tip be different for them? It makes no logical sense.
>
> I tip on the quality of service and the effort involved. It's often a
> large amount, but sometimes not.

Because leaving a $3 tip on a $20 bill is nominal.

Leaving a $3 tip on a $80 bill is being a cheap *******. And yes,
there are several restaurants around here where that's the common
spread for the same waitstaff effort.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > The whole 15% tipping thing has got to go. I mean think about it. You

go
> > into a restaurant and you order the grilled lobster with a filet mignon

and
> > a bottle of their best wine. Now if instead you had ordered the Cobb

salad
> > and an iced tea you would have put the waitperson though absolutely no

extra
> > effort to serve you. Their effort is not a reflection of the price of

the
> > meal. So why should they get a substantially larger tip just because

you
> > ordered a more expensive meal?

> Because you make more money than someone who eats a lot of cobb salads,
> you jerk.

OK, another good point. What does my income have to do with tipping? If
I'm a millionaire, am I expected to tip more for a meal than somebody of
lesser means? Even if it is the same meal? Since when did tipping become
an obligation indexed to the cost of the meal and one's income?

It's called a gratuity for a reason. If the waitperson sucked ass, then
don't tip them or tip them very much.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Mar 2006 08:17:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Blair P.
Houghton?

>> > Because you make more money than someone who eats a lot of cobb
>> > salads, you jerk.

>> If a waitperson delivers two different meals, one of far greater
>> monetary value than the other, but requiring the same physical effort
>> for each, why should the tip be different for them? It makes no
>> logical sense.
>>
>> I tip on the quality of service and the effort involved. It's often a
>> large amount, but sometimes not.

> Because leaving a $3 tip on a $20 bill is nominal.
>
> Leaving a $3 tip on a $80 bill is being a cheap *******. And yes,
> there are several restaurants around here where that's the common
> spread for the same waitstaff effort.

No, it's because you've been suckered into that belief system.

I never leave less than a 15% tip, primarily because I would be
embarrassed not do, but I still don't believe in the system. I think it
stinks!

Guess it's time for a tip jar on the corner of my desk. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > writes:

>Get over your sorry self.

When everyone else read this, did they get dizzy from the irony
overload like I did?

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> The Bubbo wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >

> > > You don't read too gud, try without moving your scuzzy lips... the
> > > patron did indeed receive change. It is NOT a restaurant's
> > > responsibility to give change in any particular denominations...

> It's not a restaurant's responsibility to serve you undercooked meat,
> anything but iceberg lettuce, gravy that flows, ice cream above 0
> degrees F, or water that doesn't taste like bleach.
>
> But they will, if they want any customer to return.
>
> > > and it
> > > is never the server's duty to do more than bring the change given by
> > > the cashier... servers do not operate the till.

> Customers who aren't cattle don't give a **** about restaurant
> fiduciary policy.
>
> If a customer wants change so he can make out an accurate tip, he
> deserves it.
>
> Given that restaurants are permitted by law to offer sub-minimum wage,
> and the server's pay is dependent on tipping, it's the restaurant's
> responsibility not to interfere with server pay by ****ing off the
> customer through petty policy failures.
>
> > > If you want change get
> > > up off your fat ass and ask the cashier...

> Sheldon does not understand the concept of "service" in the slightest,
> and proves he'd rather make an egregiously stupid and false argument
> than just shut up and rest on his earlier mistakes.
>
> > > only a low life cheap
> > > ******* would nickle and dime the server, obviously to squeak out of
> > > giving a proper tip.

> Weren't you just saying you'd up the tip a couple of pennies for a
> nipple show? Speaking of lowlifes.
>
> > > What's the big deal about tipping an extra two
> > > bucks, sheesh!

> > maybe she didn't show enough titty???

> Maybe she didn't give Sheldon's oxygen tank enough of a curtsey.
>
> > > Liars think everyone is lying, that's your disease, Paranoia.

> > am I the only one who sees the irony flooding off this line? It's like the
> > irony dam burst and I'm floating around in it.

> Irony, projection, plain lying, that's all Sheldon has.
>
> Poor shriveled worthless bag of shit that he is.
>
> --Blair

That's why he's known to many as "dogturd"!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Jude wrote:
> >
> > OMG, must share a story here (short version)
> >
> > My ex and I were trying to determine child support. His daddy was a
> > lawyer, so daddy's partner handled all his legal work for him free.
> >
> > The court appointed a guardian-ad-litem in the case. She was to be paid
> > by us, 60/40, which was the income split being used to determine child
> > support. I was billed around $250 and paid it. He was billed around
> > $320 or so, and resented the hell out of having to actually give any
> > money to a lawyer (this was all a big game to him)
> >
> > So, he went down to the bank and got approx $320 in change - nickels,
> > dimes, and quarters. He puts it all in a couple trash bags and goes to
> > the lawyers office. Proceeds to empty the trash bags on the secretary's
> > desk, telling her its payment for his bill!!!!
> >
> > They wouldn't take it, of course. They told him they WOULD accept
> > rolled change for payment, but of course the secretary was NT about to
> > count his $320 in loosew random change and write a receipt for him.
> >
> > He got ****ed and went ballistic. Ended up with criminal assault
> > charges against him. Did not win him any points with our child support
> > jusge!
> >
> > Folks, learn a lesson here. Change is fine if it's rolled into normed
> > amounts. Not if it's loose and in a baggie. Did I mention that the ex
> > is a MORON???

> Did I mention that you are a LIAR???

Someone above mentioned the irony of it. The biggest liar on the
internet callling everyone else liars! Only from dogturd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" > writes:
>
> >Get over your sorry self.

> When everyone else read this, did they get dizzy from the irony
> overload like I did?

I can't get over myself because I really am this good.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I said I wasn't a *regular customer* at any restaurant, not that I didn't
> recognize regular customers when I was a hostess. We're talking about 16
> years ago. I don't go to any restaurant on a regular basis otherwhise I'd
> know the hostesses and the servers and probably the chefs and line cooks,
> too.

well you sure know the staff line up

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

> The rich are obligated to foot a greater percentage of all expenditures
> because they earn more. People should pay in proportion to what they
> earn in order for justice to prevail.

that's such a person to person thing

some could give alot and never miss it
some should give alot and should miss it
some should not give more; you don't wanna shoot yourself in the foot,
a business owner employs 3,000 people...what do we want? he give more
than everyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:

> >> Bully for you. I know very few people who go to a restaurant on
> >> such a regular basis that the server(s), let alone the owners know
> >> them by name. I'm certainly not one of them.
> >>

> > You gotta be kidding?! And you worked the hostess station, too? One
> > of my very first service jobs was noticing who the regulars were and
> > remembering what their requirements were.
> >
> > Return customers are immediately bankable for everyone.
> >

> I said I wasn't a *regular customer* at any restaurant, not that I didn't
> recognize regular customers when I was a hostess. We're talking about 16
> years ago. I don't go to any restaurant on a regular basis otherwhise I'd
> know the hostesses and the servers and probably the chefs and line cooks,
> too.

I find it very hard to believe that you know so few people that dine
out regularly -- or that you do not dine out regularly at the same
places. I find it even more difficult to believe that you actually
_think_ any owners wouldn't learn their regulars' names. Every owner
I've ever met or worked for made sure that (s)he was informed the
moment a regular arrived so that (s)he could greet them at some point
during the meal. Schmoozing so much a requirement.

The Ranger
--
"We're decaf drinkers, and most restaurant decaf is like hot water with
a brown crayon dipped in it. This coffee was no different."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > writes:
>"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote

>> The rich are obligated to foot a greater percentage of all expenditures
>> because they earn more. People should pay in proportion to what they
>> earn in order for justice to prevail.

>You cannot be serious.

I can see the point he's making in a general way -- the rich should
give more to charity, pay proportionate taxes, etc. But if a product is
$25, it's $25 no matter who is paying the bill. Menu pricess don't come
in "poor", "middle", and "rich" varieties.

Stacia
I'll take the poor steak with a side of rich salad, please

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glitter Ninja" > wrote
> "Nancy Young" > writes:
>>"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote

>>> The rich are obligated to foot a greater percentage of all expenditures
>>> because they earn more. People should pay in proportion to what they
>>> earn in order for justice to prevail.

>>You cannot be serious.

> I can see the point he's making in a general way -- the rich should
> give more to charity, pay proportionate taxes, etc. But if a product is
> $25, it's $25 no matter who is paying the bill. Menu pricess don't come
> in "poor", "middle", and "rich" varieties.

Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
sandwiches.

nancy