Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bad waitress tricks

salgud wrote:
> Remember, dogturd is NEVER right!

Actually he is right on occasion (probably by accident.) This just
means he's not even useful as a contrary indicator. HTH ;-)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> Living in NJ, self-service gas stations are illegal, so I have to go to
> full service. I don't mind that at all, but one does have to be careful
> to avoid being ripped off when filling up.

I got used to doing this before gas pumps came with
designated amounts like $5, $10, $20 ... whatever. I'd
say $10 (those were the days) and they would have to stay
close so they didn't wind up pumping too much gas.
This way I wasn't abandoned for 5 minutes while they
took care of other cars.

Now I say the nearest round number to the amount
of money I have on hand. In other words, if all I have
are 20s, I say 20. I hate waiting for them to fumble
around looking for 3 singles.

Charging gas is a lot easier these days, too ... used to
be such a production I never did it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in news:SVASf.3001$kg.877
@news02.roc.ny:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>
>> Hitting the Genesee a little early, aren't we.

> Please...it's too early in the day (or even the year) to mention that
> god-awful beer.

Brewed on the banks of the Gennesee (the neon green Gennesee river). EWWWW.
Runnoff polution from Kodak and Xerox?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > I've had cabdrivers do similar here in Chicago by claiming "I don't have
> > change for a twenty...".

> They do that shit in Mexico too. If you ever go to Mexico bring a ton
> of $1 with you.
>
> >I mean come on, it's not like a twenty is a real
> > rare commodity anymore. In these particular cases I'll make the cabdriver
> > go in somewhere and GET change AFTER the meter is turned off; I'll make a
> > point of not tipping and if he's especially surly I'll report him...
> >
> > The vast majority of cabbies that pull this stunt are Middle Easterners, I
> > mean hey, this AIN'T Damascus...

> Oh, you've done a scientific study? Or are you just another rfc racist
> asshole?
> -L.

By now, L, you should know that us white folks never cheat or lie. Just
them thar people of color! Just ask Ken Lay, Andrew Fastow, or dozens
of other honest white businessmen. I'm sure the cabbies are the same!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Change for big bills. Was: Bad waitress tricks

Peter Aitken wrote:
> This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
> marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
> "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
> they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
> then?

They can refuse to accept the bill because...

Nowhere on the bill does it say the recipient is required to give
change, only to accept the bill... so if you offer to forego the change
I'm pretty certain your $50 will be graciously accepted.

Anyway, the sign is posted to give the proprietor the option of not
accepting large bills for say a $3 purchase... I'm positive if you had
to pay $45 they will gladly take your $50, even your $100.

No proprietor is required to give change, the onus is *always* on the
purchaser to present the proper amount... that's how business is
properly conducted... the fact that some businesses do give change is
strictly a courtesy. A stupidmarket is perfectly within its rights to
refuse your $50 bill when your purchase is say a single can of pet
food... I've seen it many times when large bills were not accepted for
small purchases. Like why should the newspaper kiosk guy be your
personal banker; many times folks will try to change their $20 fresh
from the ATM by buying a $1 newspaper... in NYC all you'll get is a few
choice woids and a middle finger, and deservedly so.

I've never yet experienced where a restaurant refused to change a $5
for me, IF they had it... only a selfish ******* would insist on making
a stink because the proprietor refused to give a patron their last
singles just for change. Sometimes I have been informed that they were
low on singles and couldn't change my $5, no biggie... I have the
common sense to realize a restaurant is not a bank.

Just now counted the cash in my wallet:
$20 - eleven
$10 - two
$5 - three
$1 - twenty six

This is typical for me... I alwasy seem to be acquiring singles, often
I'll pay entirely with singles just to thin out my wallet... most
proprietors will be very pleased to take 10-20 singles.

Oh, I also have a hundred and 2 fiftys in a secret compartment.

Only infants leave home with no cash.

Anyways, if the OP was actually honest, NOT, she's a friggin low life
scummy liar... then she'd have once realizing change was a problem to
pay by credit card. Anyone doesn't carry proper cash and/or credit
cards to facilitate the business they intend to engage doesn't deserve
to leave home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter Aitken wrote:
> But it says right on the money
> "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
> they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
> then?

standing in line with a bag of sugary treats does not constitute a debt
in fact, at no time during the exchange of money for sugary treat have
you actually created a debt, this is called trading.

however! if you were to eat say.. a bag of circus peanuts while waiting
in line, then you have become indebted to the store

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "D.Currie" > wrote:
> >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> > > learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to

> leave a
> > > tip.
> > >
> > > In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem

> to be
> > > a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the

> right
> > > change for tipping.

> > An attendant at a gas station in my neighborhood once tried a similar
> > stunt on me. On my way home from work one evening, I stopped to buy a
> > tank of gas. The cost came to something like $22. I handed the gas
> > station attendant a $20 and $5 bills. He said he couldn't make change,
> > and he asked me if I would I mind if he kept the change?
> >

> I've had cabdrivers do similar here in Chicago by claiming "I don't have
> change for a twenty...". I mean come on, it's not like a twenty is a real
> rare commodity anymore. In these particular cases I'll make the cabdriver
> go in somewhere and GET change AFTER the meter is turned off; I'll make a
> point of not tipping and if he's especially surly I'll report him...

Gotta differ here... NYC cabs have signs prominently posted that they
are not required to change bills larger than a twenty.... typical Noo
Yawkers carry a slew of small denominational bills... in fact typical
Noo Yawkers carry two wallets, one throw-away with just a small amount
of cash and no credit cards or other ID, and the real wallet secreted
somewhere private... muggers ya know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pgluth1" > wrote in message

>> Sheldon

> OMG, I find myself agreeing with Sheldon.
>
> Allow me to throw a few ideas out from 20 years of restaurant experience:
>
> 1. I have never met a server who deliberately played games with their
> tips - "gee - I bet they'll give me the big bill!" However, I have met
> many new, poorly trained, and yes, "dim" servers, who didn't understand
> the point. What if everyone got their paycheck deducted for making
> mistakes?

I've known peope who've deliberately done all sorts of stupid things, but I
was giving this waitress the benefit of the doubt. I gave her the bigger
tip, wheras most people said they'd go for the 5 or nothing.

On the other hand, last time we had this same waitress, she screwed
something up, told us she'd give us a free round of drinks, but the drinks
were on the bill anyway. Every other waiter/waitress we've ever had has been
much better than this one. She's relatively new (but not a youngster,
btw) -- in fact, *waitresses* here are relatively new -- up until recently,
they only had waiters at theis particular restaurant. I figure either she'll
get better or quit.

> 2. Training is now non-existent - it is now almost entirely "on the job".
> This isn't a problem with an experienced server, but restaurants often
> hire many who have never had experience with not only serving, but with
> customer service. (Often, cooks with only moderate english skills will be
> asked to wait tables.) Years ago, servers received menu instruction, bar
> instruction, and customer and cash / handing procedures. For two reasons,
> this has been condensed to as little as 2 days of training and 2
> "follows." Reason 1: restaurants don't wish to pay more than they have
> to, and Reason 2: if you tell someone today they would have to work for
> minimum wage for up to three weeks, they would laugh and leave.

I think there might also have been a bit of a misunderstanding when I said
"change." The return should have included coins, but she brought back no
coins, just the five and the ten. Maybe she thought I wanted coin change for
a vending machine or car wash or something.

To be honest, I think she may not completely understand what we're saying
sometimes. Which is why I gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her the
better tip. I'm also hoping we'll get one of the old waiters next time we go
there.

> 3. Many places have standing policies against letting servers get change
> for anything less than a $20 - period - even if you get three $100s in a
> row. You are expected to get it from another server rather than "bother"
> the bartender, manager, or cashier. I always thought this was asinine but
> the penalties could be as stiff as a write-up or as bothersome as having
> to do extra / or the worst closing duty. I even worked one place where
> the servers lost a table rotation if they asked for change more than
> once.

I've never had a problem with asking a waiter/waitress to break a bill for
me. It doesn't happen all that often, because usually I've got more singles
than I need, but this particular day I'd been to the bank and didn't ask for
singles, and when I went to the grocery afterward, the change didn't end up
giving me any singles, either. I didn't hink that much about it until I
looked in my wallet and there was nothing smaller than a five.

> 4. Sheldon is right. Restaurants are not a bank. If you only have big
> bills, ask the bar or cashier first. (Though as a former bartender, I
> have been given a $400 bank and STILL been cleaned out in a matter of
> hours.)

I don't consider a $5 bill a "big bill." I just needed enough singles so I
could give a decent tip. It's not like I was asking them to break a hundred.
And BTW, why are you saying it's okay to ask the cashier or bartender to
break a bill, but it's not okay to ask the waitress to bring back your
change in smaller increments? The waitress is the one who's going to reap
the benefits from that change.

As for my dearth of singles, by the time we went out for dinner, the banks
were closed, so I couldn't have gone there to ask them to give me change for
a five, even if that had been in my mind. Which it wasn't. My only other
choice would have been to go to some retail establishment and either ask for
change or buy something small with a larger bill so they'd be forced to give
me the 4 singles back. It seems kind of silly to expect a retail store to
have change available, yet imagine that a restaurant wouldn't be able to
break a five.

Next time I'll make it a point to have singles. It's for my convenience
too -- I usually like to leave the bill plus tip without waiting for change.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in news:SVASf.3001$kg.877
> @news02.roc.ny:
>
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Hitting the Genesee a little early, aren't we.

>> Please...it's too early in the day (or even the year) to mention that
>> god-awful beer.

> Brewed on the banks of the Gennesee (the neon green Gennesee river).
> EWWWW.
> Runnoff polution from Kodak and Xerox?
>
> Andy

Actually, they pick up their water before Kodak, and Xerox is nowhere
nearby. But, the river, which is actually brown, is loaded with sediment
upstream. Not something I'd want to drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Ranger > wrote:

> But it's cheap.
>
> The Ranger

Nah.

Dos Equis or Corona.....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ranee Mueller > wrote:

> As for the other idiotic practices the restaurants try to get away
> with, well, it is more evidence that they need to do away with tips, pay
> people a real wage and keep on top of their business more.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
>> news:SVASf.3001$kg.877 @news02.roc.ny:

>>> Please...it's too early in the day (or even the year) to mention
>>> that god-awful beer.

>> Brewed on the banks of the Gennesee (the neon green Gennesee river).
>> EWWWW.
>> Runnoff polution from Kodak and Xerox?
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Actually, they pick up their water before Kodak, and Xerox is nowhere
> nearby. But, the river, which is actually brown, is loaded with
> sediment upstream. Not something I'd want to drink.

You went to UofR? I went to R.I.T. It was neon green back by my campus.

And R.I.T. was actually localed in South Henrietta which made our college
S.H.I.T.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
>>> news:SVASf.3001$kg.877 @news02.roc.ny:

>>> Brewed on the banks of the Gennesee (the neon green Gennesee river).
>>> EWWWW.
>>> Runnoff polution from Kodak and Xerox?
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Actually, they pick up their water before Kodak, and Xerox is nowhere
>> nearby. But, the river, which is actually brown, is loaded with
>> sediment upstream. Not something I'd want to drink.

> You went to UofR? I went to R.I.T. It was neon green back by my campus.

I didn't say I went to college in Rochester.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 17 Mar 2006 10:39:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> salgud wrote:
>> Remember, dogturd is NEVER right!
>>

> Actually he is right on occasion (probably by accident.) This just
> means he's not even useful as a contrary indicator. HTH ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

LOL! He's not even useful as dog shit.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>
> > As for the other idiotic practices the restaurants try to get away
> > with, well, it is more evidence that they need to do away with tips, pay
> > people a real wage and keep on top of their business more.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ranee

> AGREED!!!!!!!!!!

Then you'd pay at least 30% more, there'd be no incentive for good
service, and wait people will net far less because no way, no how will
the proprietor pay the full amount of the food increase to the hired
help, and certainly not fairly... the ass kissers will receive higher
wages for less work. In the service industry tipping is the best way
to ensure good service and justly recompenses responsible workers. I
mean like yoose cheapo *******s don't tip anyway, or so little may as
well be nothing, and there's no law says ya gotta tip... so why ya
bitchin'.

Personally I like to tip, same reason I like to pay high property
taxes.. keeps the riff raff out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:41:45 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
>handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
>food tasted metallic."
>
>Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
>chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

That's *horrible*. Have her blame someone for something they didn't
do, to keep "no hard feelings" between a customer and a server who
treated him badly? What kind of sense does that make?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:41:45 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>

>>In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
>>handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
>>food tasted metallic."
>>
>>Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
>>chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

> That's *horrible*. Have her blame someone for something they didn't
> do, to keep "no hard feelings" between a customer and a server who
> treated him badly? What kind of sense does that make?
>
> serene

serene,

I did admit my error.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
> > marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted." But it says right on the money
> > "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." So, how can
> > they refuse them? What if you present a $50 bill and they refuse it - what
> > then?

> They can refuse to accept the bill because...
>
> Nowhere on the bill does it say the recipient is required to give
> change, only to accept the bill... so if you offer to forego the change
> I'm pretty certain your $50 will be graciously accepted.
>
> Anyway, the sign is posted to give the proprietor the option of not
> accepting large bills for say a $3 purchase... I'm positive if you had
> to pay $45 they will gladly take your $50, even your $100.
>
> No proprietor is required to give change, the onus is *always* on the
> purchaser to present the proper amount... that's how business is
> properly conducted... the fact that some businesses do give change is
> strictly a courtesy. A stupidmarket is perfectly within its rights to
> refuse your $50 bill when your purchase is say a single can of pet
> food... I've seen it many times when large bills were not accepted for
> small purchases. Like why should the newspaper kiosk guy be your
> personal banker; many times folks will try to change their $20 fresh
> from the ATM by buying a $1 newspaper... in NYC all you'll get is a few
> choice woids and a middle finger, and deservedly so.
>
> I've never yet experienced where a restaurant refused to change a $5
> for me, IF they had it... only a selfish ******* would insist on making
> a stink because the proprietor refused to give a patron their last
> singles just for change. Sometimes I have been informed that they were
> low on singles and couldn't change my $5, no biggie... I have the
> common sense to realize a restaurant is not a bank.
>
> Just now counted the cash in my wallet:
> $20 - eleven
> $10 - two
> $5 - three
> $1 - twenty six
>
> This is typical for me... I alwasy seem to be acquiring singles, often
> I'll pay entirely with singles just to thin out my wallet... most
> proprietors will be very pleased to take 10-20 singles.
>
> Oh, I also have a hundred and 2 fiftys in a secret compartment.

Ok, everybody stand up, applaud, and say together, "We're impressed,
dogturd!"

> Only infants leave home with no cash.
>
> Anyways, if the OP was actually honest, NOT, she's a friggin low life
> scummy liar... then she'd have once realizing change was a problem to
> pay by credit card. Anyone doesn't carry proper cash and/or credit
> cards to facilitate the business they intend to engage doesn't deserve
> to leave home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>>sarah bennett wrote:
>>

>>>If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
>>>*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything.

>>* * Ding! Ding! Ding! * *
>>
>>We haaave a winner!

> You're the winner, the LOW IQ of the WEEK!
>
> It's a restaurant, not a bank... that's a waitperson, not a teller...
> you uncouth *******.
>
> It's not a restaurant's responsibility to give change in any specific
> denomination.

and it's not a customer's responsibility to tip someone who lies to them.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pgluth1 wrote:
>>Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
>>waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's
>>always ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change
>>when they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
>>hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
>>add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant,
>>NOT a bank, you imbecile.
>>
>>Sheldon

> OMG, I find myself agreeing with Sheldon.
>
> Allow me to throw a few ideas out from 20 years of restaurant experience:
>
> 1. I have never met a server who deliberately played games with their
> tips - "gee - I bet they'll give me the big bill!" However, I have met
> many new, poorly trained, and yes, "dim" servers, who didn't understand
> the point. What if everyone got their paycheck deducted for making
> mistakes?

I run a register, and I am responsible for any shortages. There aren't
any because I know that it's my responsibility, and thewrefore am
careful to not make mistakes.

<snip>

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Oh, calm down! LOL!
> We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the
card? Anyone know?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>>

>>> As for the other idiotic practices the restaurants try to get away
>>>with, well, it is more evidence that they need to do away with tips, pay
>>>people a real wage and keep on top of their business more.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ranee

>>AGREED!!!!!!!!!!

> Then you'd pay at least 30% more, there'd be no incentive for good
> service, and wait people will net far less because no way, no how will
> the proprietor pay the full amount of the food increase to the hired
> help, and certainly not fairly... the ass kissers will receive higher
> wages for less work. In the service industry tipping is the best way
> to ensure good service and justly recompenses responsible workers. I
> mean like yoose cheapo *******s don't tip anyway, or so little may as
> well be nothing, and there's no law says ya gotta tip... so why ya
> bitchin'.
>
> Personally I like to tip, same reason I like to pay high property
> taxes.. keeps the riff raff out.

I work with the public, and I don't get tips unless I'm making
deliveries. I reamin cheerful and helpful regardless. It's not about
money, it's about work ethic, no matter what the pay.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:48:27 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
>marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted."

Gas and convenience stations have done this for years....nothing new
here.

Moral of the story...you buy the business and then YOU get to make up
the rules.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Oh, calm down! LOL!
>> We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

> As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
> or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the
> card? Anyone know?
> Goomba

AFAIK, tips put on a credit card are paid out the same as cash tips. How
that particular establishment requires the waitstaff to tip out varies.
I suppose if a waiter/ess gets most of their tips on credit cards, it
would mean they would have to pay taxes on those tips, whereas if more
of those tips were cash, they might be actually making more than what
the government assumes they will be making in tips, but not claim them
as income.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Oh, calm down! LOL!
>> We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

> As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
> or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the card?
> Anyone know?
> Goomba

Many restaurants deduct the bank's credit card fee from the waitress' tips.
They do prefer cash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to
> pay, I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came
> back with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no
> change." Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though
> she wasn't a spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that little.
> We go to this place often, and we've had this waitress before. But the
> full $10 was more than 20 percent and that bugged me. Half of me was
> thinking she was just a little too dumb to understand that I needed
> the singles for the tip, but the other half of me was thinking that
> she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5 and the $10 and
> figuring she'd get the better tip.
>
> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more
> annoyed than when a server has come back with just big bills. The
> smart ones will usually break at least one of the bills down so you've
> got a ten, a five, and singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they
> just come back with the change in whatever form is easiest. But I
> don't think I've ever asked someone to make change and had them say
> there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to
> leave a tip.
>
> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem
> to be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got
> the right change for tipping.

We eat out every Sunday and we know approx what it costs. We always
make sure we have enough change to give a proper tip.

Ophelia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>>>Oh, calm down! LOL!
>>>We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

>>As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
>>or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the card?
>>Anyone know?
>>Goomba

> Many restaurants deduct the bank's credit card fee from the waitress' tips.
> They do prefer cash.

Is that legal? Where I work, and at the pizza shop next door, and at the
restaurant across the way, tips are paid out directly to the employee
earning them. The onus for the credit card fee is on the business, not
the employee!

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
t...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>>As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
>>>or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the card?
>>>Anyone know?
>>>Goomba

>> Many restaurants deduct the bank's credit card fee from the waitress'
>> tips. They do prefer cash.

> Is that legal? Where I work, and at the pizza shop next door, and at the
> restaurant across the way, tips are paid out directly to the employee
> earning them. The onus for the credit card fee is on the business, not the
> employee!
>
> saerah

I don't know if it's legal, but it happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
> (snip)
> > Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> > waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
> > ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
> > they go out to eat.

> > We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

I don't like your method, even on the few occasions that I do pay with
plastic I still tip in cash... the server is entitled to receive their
tip in CASH, in HAND, and when service is rendered. Obviously you
never worked a job where tips were the major portion of your income.

Those who *choose* to use cash are obligated to have proper funds... I
choose to pay with green money, I can't remember the last time I
required change back at a restaurant. As a cash person I know it's
ABCs basic to carry cash in proper denominations so that I never need
to receive change back (just like your plastic). And as I've said many
times previously, I ALWAYS place the tip directly into the server's
hand, I NEVER leave it on the table (and would never dine anywhere
where the gratuity is included). I hand over the tip when the bill
arrives... I knew what my bill will be when I placed the order, don't
really need to see the bill to figure the tip... I pay the server
before I pay the house. Service and merchandise are two separate
transactions.... the tip is wages same as if the server were in my
employ, in fact they are. It's none of the bosses beeswax how much I
tip, that's between me and the server. And I'm a very good tipper,
places I frequent know it, in fact I generally get the same waitress
all the time and get attended to as soon as I walk in the door. And
yes, call it what you will, but I do indeed tip well for cleavage... I
consider T & A an important part of my dining pleasure... otherwise I'd
eat at home, I really don't need anyone to cook for me... but I do
enjoy my meal much more a la bazooms... and there are no pretentions
about it, I know and so does she... a little innocent ogling creates a
much more enjoyable experience, for me and for her. There is no law
forbidding looking... women do it too, and far more than men. The
trick is to know how without being cheap/tawdry.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> -L. wrote:
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > > I've had cabdrivers do similar here in Chicago by claiming "I don't have
> > > change for a twenty...".

> > They do that shit in Mexico too. If you ever go to Mexico bring a ton
> > of $1 with you.
> >
> > >I mean come on, it's not like a twenty is a real
> > > rare commodity anymore. In these particular cases I'll make the cabdriver
> > > go in somewhere and GET change AFTER the meter is turned off; I'll make a
> > > point of not tipping and if he's especially surly I'll report him...
> > >
> > > The vast majority of cabbies that pull this stunt are Middle Easterners, I
> > > mean hey, this AIN'T Damascus...

> > Oh, you've done a scientific study? Or are you just another rfc racist
> > asshole?
> > -L.

> By now, L, you should know that us white folks never cheat or lie. Just
> them thar people of color! Just ask Ken Lay, Andrew Fastow, or dozens
> of other honest white businessmen. I'm sure the cabbies are the same!

yeah but..... their schemes were a little more meticulously worked out to make
megabucks and avoid detection. The "no change" gimmick is just a cheap scam....
and widespread. I realize that some people just try to be too damned PC to admit
the truth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote:

> On the other hand, last time we had this same waitress, she screwed
> something up, told us she'd give us a free round of drinks, but the drinks
> were on the bill anyway. Every other waiter/waitress we've ever had has been
> much better than this one. She's relatively new (but not a youngster,
> btw) -- in fact, *waitresses* here are relatively new -- up until recently,
> they only had waiters at theis particular restaurant. I figure either she'll
> get better or quit.

Hold on a sec. You ask her for change (so you can leave a tip) and she
conveniently runs out of change (hoping you will leave the larger tip.... and
you do. She tells you that she is giving you a free round of drinks and then
charges you for them. ?????

Holy cow. Do you have a big tattoo across your forehead that says "Sucker" ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > (snip)
> > > Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
> > > waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
> > > ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
> > > they go out to eat.

> > > We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

> I don't like your method, even on the few occasions that I do pay with
> plastic I still tip in cash... the server is entitled to receive their
> tip in CASH, in HAND, and when service is rendered. Obviously you
> never worked a job where tips were the major portion of your income.
>
> Those who *choose* to use cash are obligated to have proper funds... I
> choose to pay with green money, I can't remember the last time I
> required change back at a restaurant. As a cash person I know it's
> ABCs basic to carry cash in proper denominations so that I never need
> to receive change back (just like your plastic). And as I've said many
> times previously, I ALWAYS place the tip directly into the server's
> hand, I NEVER leave it on the table (and would never dine anywhere
> where the gratuity is included). I hand over the tip when the bill
> arrives... I knew what my bill will be when I placed the order, don't
> really need to see the bill to figure the tip... I pay the server
> before I pay the house. Service and merchandise are two separate
> transactions.... the tip is wages same as if the server were in my
> employ, in fact they are. It's none of the bosses beeswax how much I
> tip, that's between me and the server. And I'm a very good tipper,
> places I frequent know it, in fact I generally get the same waitress
> all the time and get attended to as soon as I walk in the door. And
> yes, call it what you will, but I do indeed tip well for cleavage... I
> consider T & A an important part of my dining pleasure... otherwise I'd
> eat at home, I really don't need anyone to cook for me... but I do
> enjoy my meal much more a la bazooms... and there are no pretentions
> about it, I know and so does she... a little innocent ogling creates a
> much more enjoyable experience, for me and for her. There is no law
> forbidding looking... women do it too, and far more than men. The
> trick is to know how without being cheap/tawdry.
>
> Sheldon

Well written. ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Oh, calm down! LOL!
>> We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

> As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
> or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the card?
> Anyone know?
> Goomba

I seldom use a credit card at a restaurant unless it's a business expense,
and that's just because it's easier to track and harder to forget to deduct.

As a business owner, I can tell you that I always prefer cash. Credit card
fees eat into profits, and balancing the credit card statements (three of
them --separate ones for visa/mc. discover, and amex) against the bank
statements can be a nightmare. And credit cards can be stolen or disputed,
which is yet another pain in the arse. Checks have to be deposited and they
can bounce, and they can be stolen or forged. Cash is just easier to deal
with.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay,
>> I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back
>> with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change."
>> Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a
>> spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this
>> place often, and we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was
>> more than 20 percent and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was
>> just a little too dumb to understand that I needed the singles for the
>> tip, but the other half of me was thinking that she was pushing me to
>> make the choice between the $5 and the $10 and figuring she'd get the
>> better tip.
>>
>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed
>> than when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will
>> usually break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five,
>> and singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with
>> the change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
>> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>>
>> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
>> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to
>> leave a tip.
>>
>> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to
>> be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the
>> right change for tipping.

> We eat out every Sunday and we know approx what it costs. We always make
> sure we have enough change to give a proper tip.
>
> Ophelia

And if, on Sunday, you wanted to go out for breakfast but you didn't have
singles or coins enough to make the proper tip, you'd stay home?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Then you'd pay at least 30% more, there'd be no incentive for good
> service, and wait people will net far less because no way, no how will
> the proprietor pay the full amount of the food increase to the hired
> help, and certainly not fairly..

Bullshit. I have have terrific service in places where the menu price, usually
in nice round figures, includes the service and the tax, not the the American
and Canadian stunt of pricing things 1-5 cents short of a dollar amount and then
charging various taxes on top and expecting you to leave another 15% on top in
order to pay their employees. What you don't get is wait staff wearing stupid
"glitter" putting on some childishly phony friendly persona, telling them your
name and touching your arm and all those other tip generating behaviours.

> In the service industry tipping is the best way
> to ensure good service and justly recompenses responsible workers. I
> mean like yoose cheapo *******s don't tip anyway, or so little may as
> well be nothing, and there's no law says ya gotta tip... so why ya
> bitchin'.

Who is the cheapo *******? Is it the person who doesn't leave a tip (often for
reason), or is it the restaurant owner who pays such a paltry wage that servers
needs tips to earn a living wage? Is it the person who looks at the menu prices
and figures it is 15% cheaper down the street .... where he will be expected to
pay an extra 15% anyway?

> Personally I like to tip, same reason I like to pay high property
> taxes.. keeps the riff raff out.

LOL. Anyone who serves the likes of you has already let the riffraff in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:48:27 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
>>This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
>>marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted."

> Gas and convenience stations have done this for years....nothing new
> here.
>
> Moral of the story...you buy the business and then YOU get to make up
> the rules.

I've yet to see any business, with the exception of buses, where the rule is
that the customer must have exact change. I would say that in most retail
transactions, it's the exception, not the rule, where customers fish out
exact change for their purchases. I can understand not wanting to take large
bills, but what business do you know of that won't give the customer change
in a transaction?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> much more enjoyable experience, for me and for her. There is no law
> forbidding looking... women do it too, and far more than men. The
> trick is to know how without being cheap/tawdry.
>
> Sheldon

Damn! I'm found out! That's why God made dark glasses. "-)
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-16-06, Sam I Am! Hamantaschen and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> We eat out every Sunday and we know approx what it costs. We always make
> sure we have enough change to give a proper tip.
>
> Ophelia

It's not funny to me when there is about 10 minutes discussion after the
meal about how much tip to leave, who wants to leave the tip, etc., was the
service worth 15-20-25%. This happens a lot when we eat with f-i-l. It
doesn't matter if there is a prior decision about who's paying and who's
leaving the tip; it always happens. It's just part of the meal; getting
seated, ordering, eating, going to the restroom, and paying.
It doesn't matter if we tell the server on-the-sly to give us the bill, then
there's conversation "I'll take care of the tip" that we have to discuss
and --
Oh, well - you know, DH adds to this confusion.
One time wrestling with f-i-l for the bill; waitress put it down in the
middle after telling her to give it to me, the waitress said in a cute
little voice that she couldn't get into things like this. She's probably
right. It didn't make any difference whether she gave it to me or not as to
the size of the tip (perhaps that is what she was thinking) because then
comes the big decision as to who gets to tip.
So silly -- LOL -- I'm laughing about it now, but at the time it's a PITA.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>
>> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to
>>> pay, I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She
>>> came back with a five and a ten, and muttered something about
>>> "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but
>>> even though she wasn't a spectacular waitress, I didn't want to
>>> leave that little. We go to this place often, and we've had this
>>> waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent and that
>>> bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb to
>>> understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half
>>> of me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice
>>> between the $5 and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>>>
>>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more
>>> annoyed than when a server has come back with just big bills. The
>>> smart ones will usually break at least one of the bills down so
>>> you've got a ten, a five, and singles instead of a twenty, but
>>> sometimes they just come back with the change in whatever form is
>>> easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked someone to make change
>>> and had them say there was none.
>>>
>>> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things
>>> I learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change
>>> to leave a tip.
>>>
>>> In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't
>>> seem to be a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure
>>> I've got the right change for tipping.

>> We eat out every Sunday and we know approx what it costs. We always
>> make sure we have enough change to give a proper tip.
>>
>> Ophelia
>>

> And if, on Sunday, you wanted to go out for breakfast but you didn't
> have singles or coins enough to make the proper tip, you'd stay home?

Not at all) We always make sure we have change Really it isn't
rocket science We always have change to tip the paper boy too LOL.
Any one pound coins we get we put into a pot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay,

We were out for lunch today and stopped at a Cold Stone Creamery ice
cream place -- Rob had never had the experience of a $5 ice cream cone.
I ponied up two five-spots and she made the change and was about to (it
appeared to me) dump my 44 cents into the tip jar on the counter before
she saw my open palm to receive it.
(Answer: No, I didn't.)