Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Really Good Plum Chutney Recipe, Great Party Spread too

Something I developed over the past three summers.

PLUM CHUTNEY RECIPE

This makes approximately 8 pints.

5 lbs. of purple Plums, seeded but not skinned
4 cups White Sugar
2 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups White Raisons
4 tsp Mustard Seeds
3 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
2 medium yellow Onions
5 Tablespoons Ground Ginger
12 oz. pitted dried (boxed) Prunes
2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper

Using a food processor finely chop (blend) the plums, raisons, prunes and
onions. Add to a large pot along with the rest of the ingredients above and
once at a boil, slow boil for 1& ¼ hours once it’s starts to boil.
Important that you keep stirred every minute or so to prevent scorching.
Have jars and lids ready and bottle hot.

This is delicious with Curry dishes but also as a party spread. Take a
package of Cream Cheese and mold into a round with a depression on top.
Spoon on the chutney and serve on a platter with good crackers and several
small butter knifes. Between meals I sometimes substitute small slices of
sharp cheddar cheese for the cream cheese. With a glass of wine this has
many times been my evening meal and I wanted for nothing more.

To email me with questions omit the “khan” from my email name. This is a
protection from programs that search (mine) user groups and other data bases
for addresses to sell.

Emmert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Looks real good, will have try it out.
Just curious, what does it taste like if left uncooked. Most of the
traditional Indian Chutney are not cooked.
Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yogi Gupta" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Looks real good, will have try it out.
> Just curious, what does it taste like if left uncooked. Most of the
> traditional Indian Chutney are not cooked.
> Yogi

Just a syrupy mess uncooked. I didn't realize mango chutney was uncooked.
I use to travel to India 2-3 times a year on business and thus developed
many friend there. I always took some and they really enjoyed this chutney
too. Do try it, you won't be sorry.

Khubla

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I was growing up, it was over six decades ago,, the chutney was
basically ground up onions, garlic, lime juice, dash of sugar, salt and
chilli. If you ground the Peppermint leafs with it, it was Peppermint
Chutney, If you ground Cilantro and Bell peppers with it, it was Green
Chutney. These chutneys were preapred daily and served as a condiment
with your Chapati and some sort of curry.
Then there is a class of Murabba, which are cooked fruits with spices.
The Murabba may be sweet or spicey. In UK, the term Chutney is also
used to describe a spicy Murabba. I can honestly the three biggest
contribution of British Raj to Indian Cuisine a Acceptance/creation
of Tikka Masala, Renaming of Murabba as Chutney, Adopting an old
Chutney into a Worchestershire sauce.
I am sorry, I got carried away, see what happens at an old age....
Yes! Mango Chutney is cooked.
I will follow your recipe..just modified by quantity... about 1/5 or a
quart.. I will let you know how it turns out..
Regards
Yogi

Plum Chutney Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 6 19-08-2009 10:46 PM
Cinnamon-Plum Chutney WindyCityPrince General Cooking 0 30-09-2008 01:48 PM
Chutney and Cheese Spread Sherry Naylor Recipes (moderated) 0 28-03-2007 02:12 PM
BBC Good Food cheese spread recipe Kake L Pugh Vegetarian cooking 5 20-12-2006 01:40 AM
Chutney Cheese Spread Jane Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2006 03:24 AM