Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default german croissant

Hi all,

When I lived in germany the croissants tasted different from the
ones in France and the ones you can get here in the UK...

But of course, now I'm home without access to them I can't put my
finger on the difference - the German ones were more crisp...

Can any of you good people shed any light onto why they tasted
different? Is it that the German ones are a totally different type of
baked product? And, mot importantly, can I get German ones in merry old
England?

Many many thanks,

Amy K

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gosh, this looks hopeful - I will investigate at the weekend, thanks
:-)

Amy - who's now hungry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Someone who does more baking than me might be able to say nay or yay to
this, I think if it's just the crispness that's different, it is
probably to do with teh fat they use. Butter (as the French and Brits
would use) always gives a 'short' result; that melty, crumbly feel. I
think margarine and maybe some animal fats give a crisper result that
flakes rather than crumbles.

I'm sure someone bake-minded will be able to suggest what fat to try
substituting in a croissant pastry recipe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drongo wrote:
> Someone who does more baking than me might be able to say nay or yay to
> this, I think if it's just the crispness that's different, it is
> probably to do with teh fat they use. Butter (as the French and Brits
> would use) always gives a 'short' result; that melty, crumbly feel. I
> think margarine and maybe some animal fats give a crisper result that
> flakes rather than crumbles.
>
> I'm sure someone bake-minded will be able to suggest what fat to try
> substituting in a croissant pastry recipe...

Let's ask Bubba Vic. He knows everything or nearly so and may be able
to tell us what kind of dough Viennese Kipferln are made of.

Perhaps he will even find a recipe to go with it. That is assuming
that he will see this post and read it. )