Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default new omnivore on the block

Hello hello,

I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .
I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
Jeffrey Steingarten. In particular, I share his delight in having a go
at people who are finicky and squeamish about food. My grandma won't
eat capsicums, aka bell peppers, because the word 'peppers' has
convinced her they are hot. I went out to dinner last week with some
work people who wouldn't eat brisket because they were so worried it
was something disgusting. I could not make them believe it was just the
name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!

I also love music, especially trashy 80s pop to remind me of my youth,
enjoy architecture & industrial design, op shopping and of course, I
love to feed people.

Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?

Looking forward to getting to know some of you and lots of food talk!
Tinny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-14, Drongo > wrote:

> I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy

That's ok, we won't hold it against you.

> name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
> shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!

Oh, you'll feel right at home, here.

> I also love music, especially trashy 80s pop to remind me of my youth,

Who doesn't

> enjoy architecture & industrial design....

My fave is art deco.

> love to feed people.

It's the clean-up that kills me.

> Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?

We gotta couple. Some NZ'ers, too.

> Looking forward to getting to know some of you and lots of food talk!

You've come to the right place. Ignore the Chung guy. Welcome aboard.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drongo wrote:
> Hello hello,
>
> I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.
>
> My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .

Welcome Tinny. There are a few others from Oz here too...

OBFood: mussels in white wine, cream and garlic tonight.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - from "sunny" South Africa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I live in the northern USA. On another board an Aussie said it was 76°F on
Christmas and I told him I thought the ice-fishing there must be awful; but
he reminded me that Santa arrives there fifteen hours earlier, and that he
preferred slathering on sunscreen to dressing in furs.

I liked watching the Summer Olympics from DownUnder awhile back; and while
recently watching the recent Olympics in Torino, Italy I was reminded about
the food --there was a lot of coverage of the food.

My best friend through jr. high and much of high school was the son of
Italian immigrant parents. Since he was an only child, I was taken
everywhere with them like a part of the family. I enjoyed holidays,
weekends, and just everyday life as part of a large New Jersey Italian
community with food, food, food, for all those years.

So yesterday I stopped at a local consignment shop and came across the
book: "The Art of Italian Cooking: The complete book of regional
recipes" --I got it for $3. Been reading it ever since.

It is likely that you would also prefer sunscreen to furs, but I'll bet we
could agree on sipping a little annisette after dinner--you on a beach
blanket, me on a bearskin rug in front of a nice fire preferably with a
luscious babe who loves annisette, if I'm lucky.

I am still trying to figure out why Santa would fly fully-loaded all the way
from the North Pole to Australia rather than lighten his load over North
America first but have never been a good enough boy to risk confronting him
over it. He must like you better , that's all. It's OK, I'll still share my
book with you.

Lefty
--
Life is for learning

"Drongo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello hello,
>
> I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.
>
> My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .
> I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
> Jeffrey Steingarten. In particular, I share his delight in having a go
> at people who are finicky and squeamish about food. My grandma won't
> eat capsicums, aka bell peppers, because the word 'peppers' has
> convinced her they are hot. I went out to dinner last week with some
> work people who wouldn't eat brisket because they were so worried it
> was something disgusting. I could not make them believe it was just the
> name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
> shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!
>
> I also love music, especially trashy 80s pop to remind me of my youth,
> enjoy architecture & industrial design, op shopping and of course, I
> love to feed people.
>
> Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?
>
> Looking forward to getting to know some of you and lots of food talk!
> Tinny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Drongo" > wrote:

> Hello hello,
>
> I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.
>
> My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .
> I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
> Jeffrey Steingarten. In particular, I share his delight in having a go
> at people who are finicky and squeamish about food. My grandma won't
> eat capsicums, aka bell peppers, because the word 'peppers' has
> convinced her they are hot. I went out to dinner last week with some
> work people who wouldn't eat brisket because they were so worried it
> was something disgusting. I could not make them believe it was just the
> name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
> shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!
>
> I also love music, especially trashy 80s pop to remind me of my youth,
> enjoy architecture & industrial design, op shopping and of course, I
> love to feed people.
>
> Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?
>
> Looking forward to getting to know some of you and lots of food talk!
> Tinny

Welcome! :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drongo wrote:

>Hello hello,
>
>I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.
>
>My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .

That's OK, I won't hold it against you. It is rumoured that you can get
quite good food in Sydney. Just at the moment I wish I lived in Sydney
too, the Commonwealth Games open today and it's like the fall of Saigon
with all the helicopters. We've got theatre tickets tonight, booked
months ago, but I think we'll be right. The Arts Centre is well away
from the MCG and everybody will be at home watching the flying tram.
Tomorrow will be worse, we live a stone's throw from the aquatic centre
and Her Maj is coming to the swimming.

Gotta be careful. Years ago during CHOGM some guy went out and shook his
fist at a low flying helicopter. Within minutes the coppers were
knocking on his door! And that was before all this terrorism panic...

>I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
>Jeffrey Steingarten. In particular, I share his delight in having a go
>at people who are finicky and squeamish about food. My grandma won't
>eat capsicums, aka bell peppers, because the word 'peppers' has
>convinced her they are hot. I went out to dinner last week with some
>work people who wouldn't eat brisket because they were so worried it
>was something disgusting. I could not make them believe it was just the
>name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
>shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!

Aha, another Steingarten fan! That man has a monstrous ego, but he's
worth readng. A lot of his pieces are actually deadly serious, like the
time he got in 18 coffee machines to work out how to make the perfect
espresso. The current thread about pod machines would have him in
conniptions.

>I also love music, especially trashy 80s pop to remind me of my youth,
>enjoy architecture & industrial design, op shopping and of course, I
>love to feed people.
>
>Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?

Good question. Most of the other Aussies seem to be from Queensland.
They are immune to insult, Phred prides himself on being an old fossil.
I deduce you to be female and thirtysomething, which is a start. Pleased
to make your acquaintance, I think you'll enjoy rfc, they're an
interesting mob.

Christine

>Looking forward to getting to know some of you and lots of food talk!
>Tinny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Drongo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello hello,
>
> I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.
>
> My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .
> I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
> Jeffrey Steingarten. In particular, I share his delight in having a go
> at people who are finicky and squeamish about food. My grandma won't
> eat capsicums, aka bell peppers, because the word 'peppers' has
> convinced her they are hot. I went out to dinner last week with some
> work people who wouldn't eat brisket because they were so worried it
> was something disgusting. I could not make them believe it was just the
> name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
> shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!
>
> I also love music, especially trashy 80s pop to remind me of my youth,
> enjoy architecture & industrial design, op shopping and of course, I
> love to feed people.
>
> Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?
>
> Looking forward to getting to know some of you and lots of food talk!
> Tinny
>=========

Welcome Tinny!

It's nice to meet you.

I love food - period! Italian food is fine; although, I confess to not
knowing who Jeffrey Steingarten is. I do, however, know a lot of others
Jeffs! LOL Too funny - I just shake my head at the weirdos. <giggle>

Music... hmmm, can't listen to too much of the 80s - was a sucky decade for
me. I love a lot of the 60s and 70s though... These days I'm on a Country
& Western kick.

I know there are a couple of Aussies and a New Zealander or two. I'm
currently in Florida in the United States.

Same here...

Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Drongo" > wrote:

> Hello hello,

Aren't you supposed to say "Gday, gday, mates"?

:-)

> My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .
> I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
> Jeffrey Steingarten. In particular, I share his delight in having a go
> at people who are finicky and squeamish about food. My grandma won't

I'm kind of finicky and squeamish about food, myself. Oh well.

> eat capsicums, aka bell peppers, because the word 'peppers' has
> convinced her they are hot. I went out to dinner last week with some

Sandra Lee says that if you take out the seeds and stuff they won't be
hot. [that's a joke, but she really said it]

> work people who wouldn't eat brisket because they were so worried it
> was something disgusting. I could not make them believe it was just the
> name for that cut of beef. I once met a guy who wouldn't eat 'weird
> shit' like rice. Oh, those people drive me nuts!

I know many people who won't eat *any* kind of beef, for various
reasons. Most of them eat rice though... at every meal.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Drongo" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hello hello,
>
> I am new so I thought I should introduce myself.
>
> My name is Tinny, I live in sunny Sydney Australia .

When I saw the name Drongo, I figured it had to be an Aussie posting.

> I love slow food, really really interested in Italian cooking and enjoy
> Jeffrey Steingarten.

I have one Steingarten book - It Must've Been Something I Ate - which I
really enjoyed. Will have to look out for others.

> Any other Sydneysiders here("Where the bloody hell are you?")?

Well - depends on your definition of Sydney. I'm at Cranebrook, which is
a suburb of Penrith. Have lived in the Penrith district since I was 6
(I'm now 41 so 80s music is largely the music of my misspent youth also)
so I'm a fair dinkum Westie <g>. While I don't think of myself as living
in Sydney, the area is referred to as "Greater Western Sydney".

Whereabouts in Sydney are you? And what did you think of that advertising
campaign?:-)

Nice to see another Aussie here - you'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome! I like it here already.

Notbob, I worked out to ignore Chung pretty quickly!

Rhonda, I'm in Surry Hills, grew up in Leichhardt which I think is why
I love Italian food and why I am learning Italian now.
Jeffrey's first book was The Man Who Ate Everything, it's great. I have
a subscription to US Vogue, he's their food writer so while I
impatiently wait for athird book from him I get his essays once a
month.

Lefty, would love come have a squiz at your most excellent find but
will settle for reports on how recipes turn out. Until I get a private
jet. Lucky you to have real Italian families to dine with!

Oh Christine, I'm right next to the SCG and sometimes the road closures
and over zealous post games mobs bug me. I can't imagine living next to
the Commonwealth Games! Her Royal Highness, choppers...and Condoleza!
And yes, I am thirtysomething and female.

....5 minutes later...
How absolutely ridiculous! I got so carried away here I actually BURNT
MY BOILED EGGS!!!

yeah, I'm a great cook.
thanks everyone. Nice to make your acquaintance!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> I have to ask... How does one BURN boiled eggs
>
> Michael

I've done it... <cringe>

Start the eggs boiling, then go do something else that makes you forget
about what you are doing.

The water all boils out and the eggs burn.

It's ugly.

Fortunately, I've only done it ONCE!
Now I set timers/alarms if I think I'm going to get distracted.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Drongo" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Rhonda, I'm in Surry Hills, grew up in Leichhardt which I think is why
> I love Italian food and why I am learning Italian now.

Ah, so you're very much a Sydneysider, being right in the city. I worked
in Surry Hills many years ago, but have not wandered around there for a
long time. I don't go in to Sydney much. Always mean to go in for the day
on a weekend, or when I'm on holidays, but rarely seem to get around to
it.

> Jeffrey's first book was The Man Who Ate Everything, it's great. I have
> a subscription to US Vogue, he's their food writer so while I
> impatiently wait for athird book from him I get his essays once a
> month.

That's triggered my memory. I borrowed The Man Who Ate Everything from
the library some years back. Probably should borrow it again.

> ...5 minutes later...
> How absolutely ridiculous! I got so carried away here I actually BURNT
> MY BOILED EGGS!!!

I've done that. Years ago when I was at college I came home to my little
flat after spending some time at the pub. I was hungry so put some eggs
on to boil, sat in a chair and prompty fell into an alcohol induced
sleep. Woke up to a rather unpleasant smell <g>.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Omnivore's Dilemma Lou Decruss[_2_] General Cooking 9 12-09-2008 12:28 AM
Omnivore's Dilemma Dee Dee General Cooking 18 11-10-2007 06:30 AM
Omnivore's Dilemma -L. General Cooking 0 17-10-2006 07:45 AM
Omnivore's Dilemma Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 16-10-2006 04:56 PM
Omnivore's Dilemma Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 16-10-2006 02:41 PM