Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hollandaise Sauce recipe I use

Thanks for all the replies to my post about ideas on what to use Hollandaise
Sauce on.

The recipe I found for my Hollandaise Sauce is at:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/sau...s/r/bln555.htm

I liked the idea of the double boiler so there is less chance od burning
the egg yolks. I was kinda afraid of using a pan on direct heat.

Just curious what you all think about this and if you care to post any
variations you think might be better. It is pretty good (at least I think
it is.. lol), although it is the first attempt at my own homemade
Hollandaise Sauce. So I am always looking for tips and variations.

---
Nate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-09, Nate > wrote:

> I liked the idea of the double boiler so there is less chance od burning
> the egg yolks. I was kinda afraid of using a pan on direct heat.

the problem is not "burning", it's breaking. That's where the egg
yolks overcook too quickly and turn to granular scrambled eggs
floating around in melted butter.

> Just curious what you all think about this and if you care to post any
> variations you think might be better.

My only variation is in the process, not the recipe. The first time I
made hollandaise, as directed in this recipe, it turned out just fine.
I was never able to do it again. I tried a double boiler. I tried
the blender method. I tried less lemon. I tried lowering the heat to
the point where it didn't thicken. Everything failed. I must have gone
through two dozen eggs.

Finally, in desperation, I tried something different. I cooked the
egg yolks first, in order to isolate the problem. Bingo! Cooking the
yolks seperately, to where they're getting almost too thick, then
adding butter and lemon, I could do no wrong. Add the butter first.
No break. Add the lemon first. No break. Use a whip, use a spoon,
use a double boiler, use a plain old saucepan ...NO BREAK! I think I
can now make Hollandaise in a burning wooden salad bowl and it won't
break.

Give it a try.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:03:32 GMT, "Nate" > wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies to my post about ideas on what to use Hollandaise
>Sauce on.
>
>The recipe I found for my Hollandaise Sauce is at:
>
>http://southernfood.about.com/od/sau...s/r/bln555.htm
>
>I liked the idea of the double boiler so there is less chance od burning
>the egg yolks. I was kinda afraid of using a pan on direct heat.
>
>Just curious what you all think about this and if you care to post any
>variations you think might be better. It is pretty good (at least I think
>it is.. lol), although it is the first attempt at my own homemade
>Hollandaise Sauce. So I am always looking for tips and variations.

I follow the recipe in the 1960 Betty Crocker Cook Book. The
ingredients are just about the same. I use 3 T lemon juice. The
process is different. I use a heavy pan on a burner that is just
above warm. Eggs, lemon juice and salt (if using unsalted butter) go
in first and get mixed well. The add cold butter cut into 4 or 5
chunks. Keep stirring.
--
Susan N.