Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Nancy Young" > wrote

> I have to be pretty darned thirsty to drink water from a fountain.
> Even if the water is high enough to drink without your lips touching
> the spout, some people do anyway?

As happens so often, coincidentally I just saw a segment
on Food Finds about Portland Oregon. There's a (?) water
fountain called ? Benson's Bubblers? So cute! They said
he had them installed hoping people would drink water rather
than beer.

Bubblers. Never heard of them before today, now I have
heard water fountains referred to that twice. In one day.

nancy, easily amused

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
snip
> nancy, easily amused

Never mind, it is a wonderful trait. )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> snip
>> nancy, easily amused

> Never mind, it is a wonderful trait. )

The Monty Python revolution never would've happened without easily amused
people. We will inherit the earth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> snip
>> nancy, easily amused

> Never mind, it is a wonderful trait. )

Amen!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Even if the water is high enough to drink without your lips touching
> the spout, some people do anyway?

Does anyone know of any actual cases of someone getting sick from
drinking from a public water fountain? This might be another of example
of something seeming icky (it seems icky to me too) but doing no actual
harm.

On the other hand, I've noticed that public drinking fountains have
pretty much disappeared. We used to have them in all the places there
are now vending machines selling sodas and bottled water. Perhaps there
was a health reason for the switch.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Even if the water is high enough to drink without your lips touching
>> the spout, some people do anyway?

> Does anyone know of any actual cases of someone getting sick from drinking
> from a public water fountain? This might be another of example of
> something seeming icky (it seems icky to me too) but doing no actual harm.

I doubt it would be traced to something like that, but I'd
prefer to choose whom I swap spit with. A minor personal
quirk.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jimbo" > wrote in message
> > et...

> >> We travel a good bit now we're retired and have found such a big
> >> difference in water from area to area. We now always carry bottled water
> >> with us. Not that its any better, just that it provides a consistency
> >> which permits our bodily functions to operate on a more even keel.
> >> Perils of age.

> > I agree, there is nothing more upsetting to my stomach than a change of
> > water. This has always has been so in my case. Some people are less
> > susceptible to certain intakes that occur in others, and also some just
> > aren't aware of the connection of food/water/medication intake to their
> > feelings of well-being and good health, no matter what their age.
> > I, too, always carry the same water that I drink at home when I travel.

> Unless the water you switch to is contaminated with bacteria, it makes no
> sense for your body to react in odd ways. I'd like to see your theory tested
> in a scientifically rigorous way.

I wouldn't! Who cares? If it makes them feel better, why not? Why does
it have to be scientifically verified? To make you happy? Don't do it
if it doesn't matter to you. But, if you get an upset stomach when
you're travelling...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Even if the water is high enough to drink without your lips touching
>> the spout, some people do anyway?

> Does anyone know of any actual cases of someone getting sick from drinking
> from a public water fountain? This might be another of example of
> something seeming icky (it seems icky to me too) but doing no actual harm.

Have you ever been around elementary school kids? :-) Snot dangling off
their noses, hands everywhere...I'm lucky I'm alive.

> On the other hand, I've noticed that public drinking fountains have pretty
> much disappeared. We used to have them in all the places there are now
> vending machines selling sodas and bottled water. Perhaps there was a
> health reason for the switch.

You just explained it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Mar 2006 06:11:01 -0800, "Cam" > wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>> "Traveler's Syndrome" is not just a story. It's plenty documented and
>> tested. When you travel further from your home, you get exposed to
>> bacteria and spoors that are different from those in your local area.

>I'd get sick if I ate spoor at home.

*laugh* Ok, I meant spores, not spoors.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-03-06, D.Currie > wrote:
>
> > Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using bottled
> > water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up with
> > more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
> > supply.

Actually, there is no evdience that people who use non-fluoridated
bottled water have more cavities. In fact, fluoride is neither a
nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth.

Often poor diet leads to tooth decay and, specificially, soda drinking.
Soda, ironically, usually has a substantial fluoride content since it
is bottled or canned in flluoridated cities.

After Coke gave the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry a $1
million grant, the AAPD helped launed Coke's fluoridated bottled water
but no mention that soda drinking is the number one cause of tooth
decay in Aemrica

For more info:
www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
www.FluorideAction.Net

http://groups.google.com/group/Fluor...-News-Releases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> notbob wrote:
>> On 2006-03-06, D.Currie > wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using
>> > bottled
>> > water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up
>> > with
>> > more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
>> > supply.

> Actually, there is no evdience that people who use non-fluoridated
> bottled water have more cavities. In fact, fluoride is neither a
> nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth.

It's interesting how the fluoride army likes to say that since its
introduction to the water supply, tooth decay has decreased X amount. My
dentist laughs at this, because it conveniently ignores other factors which
occurred during the same time line. The introduction of tooth paste with
fluoride, vastly improved health education, etc. It's like saying my car's
running SO much better because I've been washing it and vacuuming the
interior once a month. Never mind the fact that I took it for a tuneup for
the first time in 11 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> Interesting article
>>> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

>> Tapwater, as others have mentioned, does vary from place to place.
>> But since I live in an area where tapwater tastes really good, I
>> never waste my
>> money on bottled water. I bought a bottle of water from a vending
>> machine up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the
>> airport.

> I want to know who trains the evil people who adjust water fountains
> (especially in schools) so the water's so low that you have to get
> your lips 1/16 of an inch from the metal. Those people should have
> their penises stuck in a food processor.

I'm not sure there is are people who do that, might simply be due to water
pressure (or lack thereof). Some places, I think it's like they have a
water tower on the roof and if it hasn't rained enough for the gals at
Petticoat Junction you don't get but a trickle of water. If you want HOT
water you have to beg for it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>>
>>> Tapwater, as others have mentioned, does vary from place to place.
>>> But since I live in an area where tapwater tastes really good, I
>>> never waste my
>>> money on bottled water. I bought a bottle of water from a vending
>>> machine up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the
>>> airport.

>> I want to know who trains the evil people who adjust water fountains
>> (especially in schools) so the water's so low that you have to get
>> your lips 1/16 of an inch from the metal. Those people should have
>> their penises stuck in a food processor.

> I'm not sure there is are people who do that, might simply be due to water
> pressure (or lack thereof). Some places, I think it's like they have a
> water tower on the roof and if it hasn't rained enough for the gals at
> Petticoat Junction you don't get but a trickle of water. If you want HOT
> water you have to beg for it.
>
> Jill

I don't buy it. Water fountains in some places have been that way for many
years. The evil janitors HAVE to be aware of it. Remember - these guys are
from the same army of monsters who set the thermostats in churches at 93
degrees and then lock them. In July.