Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default wanted: Lidia Bastianich's rabbit cacciatore recipe

I saw her show on pbs last weekend and she made rabbit
cacciatore. It wasn't convenient for me to write it down
at the time so I thought I could just go online and find
a web site that had it. Well, easier said than done. I
have not been able to find a site. There is one that may
have it but you have to download some special software to
run it and I can't do that. So, does anyone out there
happen to have the recipe? P.S. I'm looking for her
particular recipe, now just any old rabbit cacciatore
recipe.

Thanks,
Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
>I saw her show on pbs last weekend and she made rabbit
> cacciatore. It wasn't convenient for me to write it down
> at the time so I thought I could just go online and find
> a web site that had it. Well, easier said than done. I
> have not been able to find a site. There is one that may
> have it but you have to download some special software to
> run it and I can't do that. So, does anyone out there
> happen to have the recipe? P.S. I'm looking for her
> particular recipe, now just any old rabbit cacciatore
> recipe.

I have it, Kate. Give me a while to write it up, okay? Or
maybe I could figure out how to scan it and send it to you.
It's 3 pages.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

1 rabbit, about 3 1/2 pounds
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 or 6 plump garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
8 or 9 fresh sage leaves
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1/4 cup oil-packed oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes,
halved, drained and dried
4 large shallots, peeled and sliced in half
(about 4 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
3 or 4 pickled hot cherry peppers, drained, seeded,
and quartered
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 cup white wine
3 large bell peppers, red and yellow (1 1/2 pounds),
cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup or more of hot Turkey Broth or Simple Vegetable
Broth or other light stock

Toss the cut up (8 pieces) rabbit in 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.

Pour 1/3 cup olive oil into braising pan, swirling around, and
set over medium heat. Lay in the meatiest rabbit pieces, close
together and in one layer, tucking the remaining pieces (like the
rib pieces) on top.

Cook, without turning, to let the meat carmelize slowly, and
scatter the rosemary, garlic, and sage leaves on top. After 6
or 7 minutes, or whenever the rabbit pieces are opaque and
lightly browned, turn them over and move them around. Brown
gently now for 10 minutes or so, turning again to let the
seasonings tumble in between.

Scatter the sun-dried tomatoes over the rabbit pieces, turning
them again so the tomatoes tumble to the bottom. Clear a
space and drop in the shallots; cook them in the hot spot for
a minute or two, then tumble them in with the rabbit pieces.
Clear another spot, drop in the tomato paste, toast it for a
minute, then turn and move the pieces around in the pan, thus
distributing the tomato paste.

The rabbit should be browned all over by now; if not, turn any
pale sides to the bottom. Drop the cherry pepper pieces in hot
spots and toast them for a minute.

Turn the heat up a bit, and pour the vinegar into the pan in
several clear places; let it steam and sizzle, then pour the white
wine all around. Turn the rabbit pieces as the wine heats and
starts to cook off.

Now scatter the bell-pepper pieces into the pan and continue to
cook, turning occasionally and maintaining the heat so the juices
in the pan are gently sizzling and evaporating and light browning
continues.

After 12 minutes or so, when the pepper pieces have softened and
the rabbit has carmelized more and the pan bottom is nearly dry,
drizzle over another tablespoon or two of the olive oil and turn the
pieces. Pour in a cup of the hot broth and stir it in with the seasonings,
scraping the bottom to dissolve any glaze.

Covered Cooking and Serving:

When the broth is simmering, cover and cook about 15 minutes,
then sprinkle on another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Turn everything
again, stirring to deglaze.

Cover and cook a final 10 to 15 minutes, or until juices and broth
have concentrated into a thick sauce, enough to cover rabbit, and
the meat is tender. If there is not enough broth, add more a few
tablespoons at a time, heat and stir to blend.

Remove the pan from the heat. Serve right away, or cover the pan
to keep the rabbit warm. If it has cooled or the sauce thickens, reheat
gently with small amounts of broth to refresh and moisten. Taste for
seasonings before serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Nancy Young wrote:
> [snip very delicious sounding recipe]

Thanks for this. Now I just have to catch a rabbit. Did she say
anything memorable about what kind of white wine she used? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > [snip very delicious sounding recipe]

> Thanks for this. Now I just have to catch a rabbit. Did she say
> anything memorable about what kind of white wine she used? -aem

One of our grocery stores carries rabbit in the freezer, and our
butcher also does. However, depending on what kind of area you live in,
you might find a local producer and get it direct from the source. A
friend of mine raised meat rabbits, and they are extremely good. Plus,
you get four drumsticks!

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> [snip very delicious sounding recipe]

> Thanks for this. Now I just have to catch a rabbit. Did she say
> anything memorable about what kind of white wine she used?

Sorry, I looked ... she only mentioned the quality of red
wine in braising beef ... she says, in that case, use a good but
average wine.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "aem" > wrote
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> [snip very delicious sounding recipe]

> > Thanks for this. Now I just have to catch a rabbit. Did she say
> > anything memorable about what kind of white wine she used?

> Sorry, I looked ... she only mentioned the quality of red
> wine in braising beef ... she says, in that case, use a good but
> average wine.
>
> nancy

Good advice in general for cooking with wines -- don't use
anything that you wouldn't enjoy drinking (assuming you're
a wine drinker; if not, adjust according to tastes of the
wine drinkers you know.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 3, 2006 at 3:38:58 PM UTC-5, Kate Connally wrote:
> I saw her show on pbs last weekend and she made rabbit
> cacciatore. It wasn't convenient for me to write it down
> at the time so I thought I could just go online and find
> a web site that had it. Well, easier said than done. I
> have not been able to find a site. There is one that may
> have it but you have to download some special software to
> run it and I can't do that. So, does anyone out there
> happen to have the recipe? P.S. I'm looking for her
> particular recipe, now just any old rabbit cacciatore
> recipe.
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 17:42:36 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 4:21:35 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 18:11:33 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >LOL too true! Kate hasn't posted here in many moons.

>> In hindsight, that may have been Kate who just posted?

>With that recipe all one has to do is sub "chicken" for "rabbit" and voila "chicken cacciatore". Very close, I would say.
>====

Either one would be welcome on my plate right now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 17:42:36 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 4:21:35 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:

>>> In hindsight, that may have been Kate who just posted?

>>With that recipe all one has to do is sub "chicken" for "rabbit" and voila
>>"chicken cacciatore". Very close, I would say.
>>====

> Either one would be welcome on my plate right now.

I have a lot of wild rabbit in my freezer so I am thinking about it. We are
going back down to the farm tomorrow so I might be dealing with fresh again
very soon

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 21:26:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 17:42:36 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:

>>>With that recipe all one has to do is sub "chicken" for "rabbit" and voila
>>>"chicken cacciatore". Very close, I would say.
>>>====

>> Either one would be welcome on my plate right now.

>I have a lot of wild rabbit in my freezer so I am thinking about it. We are
>going back down to the farm tomorrow so I might be dealing with fresh again
>very soon

Lucky you. The calicivirus gets realised here regularly and it's
getting harder to find bunnies when you want one. I'm actually
considering raising my own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message

>>I have a lot of wild rabbit in my freezer so I am thinking about it. We
>>are
>>going back down to the farm tomorrow so I might be dealing with fresh
>>again
>>very soon

> Lucky you. The calicivirus gets realised here regularly and it's
> getting harder to find bunnies when you want one. I'm actually
> considering raising my own.

D shot one on our last visit down that had Myxomatosis Not seen that in
a long time. Of course the farmer was delighted

Keeping your own would be a good option. Would that be a different flavour?
.... although I guess it depends what you feed them on.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 08:45:21 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I have a lot of wild rabbit in my freezer so I am thinking about it. We
>>>are
>>>going back down to the farm tomorrow so I might be dealing with fresh
>>>again
>>>very soon

>> Lucky you. The calicivirus gets realised here regularly and it's
>> getting harder to find bunnies when you want one. I'm actually
>> considering raising my own.

>D shot one on our last visit down that had Myxomatosis Not seen that in
>a long time. Of course the farmer was delighted

Rabbits don't seem to cause environmental issues around here, not like
they do in other parts of the country (and perhaps Tasmania). I can
recall when I first moved here that rabbits were common and yet I've
never come across vast areas of warrens or other damage. I don't know
why that is.

>Keeping your own would be a good option. Would that be a different flavour?
>... although I guess it depends what you feed them on.

They would certainly taste different, it would be too hard to emulate
their natural diet. Plus, I would use one of the large breeds bred for
meat. So, the meat would be different.... but still rabbit. Maybe even
better? I just realised I haven't tried a non-wild bunny before, to my
knowledge.

Diet is everything when it comes to taste. My friend has a deer farm
and thought they tasted a little too bland, so he began allowing a
wild stag to come onto his property and over time the wild and farmed
deer have mixed. Better tasting now, not too gamey but not too
'bland'. Which reminds me, he is currently butchering some and I need
to get a side from him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message

>>D shot one on our last visit down that had Myxomatosis Not seen that
>>in
>>a long time. Of course the farmer was delighted

> Rabbits don't seem to cause environmental issues around here, not like
> they do in other parts of the country (and perhaps Tasmania). I can
> recall when I first moved here that rabbits were common and yet I've
> never come across vast areas of warrens or other damage. I don't know
> why that is.
>
>>Keeping your own would be a good option. Would that be a different
>>flavour?
>>... although I guess it depends what you feed them on.

> They would certainly taste different, it would be too hard to emulate
> their natural diet. Plus, I would use one of the large breeds bred for
> meat. So, the meat would be different.... but still rabbit. Maybe even
> better? I just realised I haven't tried a non-wild bunny before, to my
> knowledge.

Yes, I suspect it might be milder, which would be better for me but for D,
the more gamey the better

> Diet is everything when it comes to taste. My friend has a deer farm
> and thought they tasted a little too bland, so he began allowing a
> wild stag to come onto his property and over time the wild and farmed
> deer have mixed. Better tasting now, not too gamey but not too
> 'bland'. Which reminds me, he is currently butchering some and I need
> to get a side from him.

Nice

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for watching Kate. Here is the recipe Rabbit Cacciatore. Enjoy.

4 servings with leftovers

1 rabbit, about 3-1/2 pounds
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt or more to taste
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5-6 plump garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
8 to 9 large fresh sage leaves
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved, drained, and dried
4 large shallots, peeled and sliced in half (about 4 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 or 3 pickled hot cherry peppers, drained, seeded and quartered or an equivalent amount of Tuscan preserved peppers plus 1/8-1/4 teaspoon peperoncini (hot red pepper flakes)
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 cup white wine
3 large red and yellow bell peppers (1 ½ pounds) cored, seeded, and cut in 1-inch pieces
1 cup of more hot turkey or vegetable broth or other light stock, or more

Cutting up the rabbit:
Lay the rabbit on its side; lift up the leg-thigh of the meaty hind leg, then twist it around and bend it back to expose the joint. Cut into the flesh there and through the joint to separate the leg thigh piece. Turn the rabbit over and separate the other hind leg in the same way.
Lift the foreleg on one side, find and sever the shoulder joint, and pull off the leg from the backbone.
Clean all the fat from the cavity. Cut off the neck, slicing crosswise through the backbone just above the ribcage. Cut off the tail end of the backbone, slicing crosswise just below the meaty flaps of the saddle€”chop the backbone here with a cleaver or a sturdy kitchen knife.
Cut crosswise through the meat flaps and backbone where the saddle meets the ribcage; make an initial cut with your knife then chop with the cleaver to separate the rib piece from the saddle.
Cut and chop the saddle in half, crosswise. Spread open the two sides of the rib cage and split them apart down the middle.
You now have 8 good serving pieces plus the 2 small pieces of neck and tail..

Cooking the meat and seasonings:
Toss the rabbit pieces with 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt to season them on all sides.
Pour the 1/3 cup of the olive oil into the braising pan, swirling it around and set over medium heat. As the pan heats, lay in the meatiest rabbit pieces, close together in one layer, tucking the remaining pieces (like the rib pieces) on top.
Cook, without turning, to let the meat caramelize slowly, and scatter the garlic, sage leaves and rosemary sprigs on top. After 6 or 7 minutes or whenever the underside of the rabbit pieces is opaque and just lightly browned, turn them over and move them around. Brown gently now for 10 minutes or so, turning again once to let the seasonings tumble in between.
Scatter the sun-dried tomato halves over the rabbit pieces, turning them again so the tomatoes fall into the bottom. Clear a space and drop in the shallots; cook them in the hot spot for a minute or 2, then tumble them in with the rabbit pieces. Clear another spot, drop in the tomato paste, toast it for a minute, then turn and move the pieces around in the pan, distributing the tomato paste.
The rabbit should be browned all over by now; if not, turn any pale sides to the pan bottom. Drop in the hot cherry pepper pieces in hot spots and toast them for a minute.
Turn the heat up a bit and pour the 2 tablespoons of vinegar into the pan in several clear places; let it steam and sizzle, then pour the white wine all around. Turn the rabbit pieces as the wine heats and starts to cook off.
Now scatter the fresh pepper pieces into the pan and continue to cook, turning occasionally and maintaining the heat so the juices in the pan are gently sizzling and evaporating and light browning continues.
After 12 minutes or so, when the pepper pieces have softened and the rabbit has caramelized more and the pan bottom is nearly dry, drizzle over another tablespoon or so of the olive oil and turn the pieces. Pour in the cup of hot broth and stir it with the seasonings, scraping the bottom to dissolve any glaze.

Covered cooking and serving:
When the broth is simmering, cover, and cook about 15 minutes, then sprinkle on another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt (taste to determine how much). Turn everything again, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the pan; the liquid should be reducing and thickening gradually; adjust the heat if necessary.
Cover and cook a final 10-15 minutes or until broth and juices have concentrated into a small amount of thick sauce, enough to coat the rabbit, and the meat is tender. If there's not enough liquid, pour in broth, a few tablespoons at a time, heat and stir to blend.
Remove the pan from the heat: serve right away, or cover the pan to keep the rabbit warm. If it has cooled or the sauce thickens, reheat the rabbit gently with small amounts of broth to refresh and moisten it. Taste for seasoning before serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking