Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default um,eh, Martha!

I um... just spent the last 15 minutes, eh...watching Martha Stewart's
cooking show. Hung in there because, eh... I thought her ummm Asian Soup
might be interesting.

Au contraire, I ummm, never had the patience to actually hear the recipe.

Baffles me how/why she has her own show. But perhaps she was better before.

--
E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
> I um... just spent the last 15 minutes, eh...watching Martha Stewart's
> cooking show. Hung in there because, eh...Baffles me how/why she
> has her own show. But perhaps she was better before.

Um, another one of "us" that this Martha annoys with her, uh, all of
those, uh, brainless utterances proving, uh, lack of thought when
speaking. Along with all of the too numerous to mention things she
claims to have studied, I wonder if she would even try to eliminate
those "uh" utterances from her speech were she to be instantly mimicked
each time one comes out....

Uh, Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:25:59 -0500, "elaine" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I um... just spent the last 15 minutes, eh...watching Martha Stewart's
>cooking show. Hung in there because, eh... I thought her ummm Asian Soup
>might be interesting.

Way back in the Jurassic age, I was given a copy of Martha Stewarts
_Entertaining_ cookbook. I was a less sophisticated cook than I am
now and prepared numerous dishes from this cookbook, as I thought she
*must* be the be all, end all of cooking. She wasn't/isn't. I don't
think half of the dishes I prepared from that cookbook was worth a
d*mn and I don't think my cooking skills were at fault. One recipe
that I recall had to do with baby tomatoes which had the innards
scooped out, replaced with a cream cheese mixture and topped with
caviar. The resultant mess was inedible and looked horrible (the
caviar bled all over the cream cheese). I did mention that I was a
fairly new cook, did I not, or I would have seen the potential
problem.

She may be able to make a very pretty cornucopia our of pine cones and
corn shucks, but she can't cook worth a damn.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:27:47 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Way back in the Jurassic age, I was given a copy of Martha Stewarts
> _Entertaining_ cookbook. I was a less sophisticated cook than I am
> now and prepared numerous dishes from this cookbook, as I thought she
> *must* be the be all, end all of cooking. She wasn't/isn't. I don't
> think half of the dishes I prepared from that cookbook was worth a
> d*mn and I don't think my cooking skills were at fault. One recipe
> that I recall had to do with baby tomatoes which had the innards
> scooped out, replaced with a cream cheese mixture and topped with
> caviar. The resultant mess was inedible and looked horrible (the
> caviar bled all over the cream cheese). I did mention that I was a
> fairly new cook, did I not, or I would have seen the potential
> problem.
>
> She may be able to make a very pretty cornucopia our of pine cones and
> corn shucks, but she can't cook worth a damn.

Martha Stewart was an instrument of change and a cookbook author who
got you going - but you've moved on now. I don't think she's going to
shed any tears over it because that's what teaching is all about.
(Julia Child was my guru - so now you know I am older than you are)

I have the same opinion about Chez Panisse as an instrument of change.

Chez Panisse nurtured a huge movement. It was the catalyst of so much
change that the philosophy seems commonplace now. Alice Waters truly
opened the eyes of the eating public and those who cook for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:25:59 -0500, "elaine" >
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>

> She may be able to make a very pretty cornucopia our of pine cones and
> corn shucks, but she can't cook worth a damn.

I don't know if SHE can cook, but I certainly disagree about the
quality of her recipes. I've never made a Martha recipe that wasn't
perfect. I love the "101s," and have never had any of them fail. That
doesn't mean I don't add my own touches to them...sometimes I do. But
in my view, I can trust that they will turn out.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Mar 2006 07:19:10 -0800, "Nancy1" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I don't know if SHE can cook, but I certainly disagree about the
>quality of her recipes. I've never made a Martha recipe that wasn't
>perfect. I love the "101s," and have never had any of them fail. That
>doesn't mean I don't add my own touches to them...sometimes I do. But
>in my view, I can trust that they will turn out.

After having tried I don't know how many recipes from her
_Entertaining_ cookbook, I never tried any other recipe of hers from
any other source. Once burned, as it were. There are far too many
excellent sources for recipes out there to waste my time and
ingredients on a source where I've been burned. That said, your
mileage obviously varies.

At least we agree on the Mountie roundups <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy1 wrote about Martha Stewart:

> I've never made a Martha recipe that wasn't perfect. I love the "101s,"
> and have never had any of them fail. That doesn't mean I don't add my own
> touches to them...sometimes I do. But in my view, I can trust that they
> will turn out.

I've only used one of her recipes, the "Gravy 101." It was indeed perfect.
Some of her other recipes failed my internal sanity check when I read them,
but of the dozens I've read, I'd estimate that at least half of them are
just fine.

Bob

New from Martha Stewart Kswck General Cooking 9 30-10-2009 04:32 PM
Martha's out... BOB General Cooking 56 11-03-2005 07:24 PM
Martha - I'll miss you. WardNA General Cooking 19 16-03-2004 04:21 AM
My Martha question Julia Altshuler General Cooking 19 11-03-2004 07:05 AM
question about Martha S. paula Baking 7 29-02-2004 05:08 PM