Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Found them! - tortillas, I mean

I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
something

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:
> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
> brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
> something
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.
First of all, the vast majority here in the states are flour tortillas,
but the only places I've seen flour tortillas in Mexico are in the
American Tourist places like Cancun. And if you think places like
Cancun resemble Mexico, you just haven't been paying attention.
One thing I miss very much here (Denver) is that it's hard to find good
corn tortillas. The further east you go, the harder it gets.
BTW, if anyone reads this knows the genisis of the flour tortilla, I'm
very curious. I've never been able to figure out where they came from,
since you never see them in the parts of Mexico I've travelled. Maybe
they come from souther Mexico, since I've never been down that way.
Those of you who have been down there, not counting Cancun, Cozumel,
and such, did you see flour tortillas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:40:10 -0800, cathyxyz wrote:

> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
> brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
> something
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

I am often forgetting what a wide audience that RFC has. I thought y'all
all lived in TEXAS. <g> Here in the central part of Texas, as you
know, we are not that far from Mexico and more than a few of the natives have come here.
We take it for granted that all of those authentic meskin goodies are available
everyday, nearly everywhere and fresh. The packages of tortillas are often still hot.
Even us gringos usually keep them stocked as most would stock any bread item.

You know ..the fuel, the bait, the bullets, a six pack of cerveza, Skoal, a lottery ticket,
and a sausge wrap..i.e. in a fresh tortilla at one stop.

BTW..sound like you should get the loto ticket today..it is your lucky day..that could
have been a huge pile up..glad they missed you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:49:45 -0800, salgud wrote:

> cathyxyz wrote:
>> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
>> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
>> brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
>> something
>>
>> Cheers
>> Cathy(xyz)

> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.

I have eaten "Mexican" food in Denver, and you are right .. not even close.

Read this..

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.
> First of all, the vast majority here in the states are flour tortillas,
> but the only places I've seen flour tortillas in Mexico are in the
> American Tourist places like Cancun. And if you think places like
> Cancun resemble Mexico, you just haven't been paying attention.
> One thing I miss very much here (Denver) is that it's hard to find good
> corn tortillas. The further east you go, the harder it gets.
> BTW, if anyone reads this knows the genisis of the flour tortilla, I'm
> very curious. I've never been able to figure out where they came from,
> since you never see them in the parts of Mexico I've travelled. Maybe
> they come from souther Mexico, since I've never been down that way.
> Those of you who have been down there, not counting Cancun, Cozumel,
> and such, did you see flour tortillas?

Authentic to mexico or not, I'm spoiled from living in Albuquerque,
where nice thick flour tortillas are served alongside green chile stew
to sop up juices. I used to laugh at a friedn who had moved out of
state when she stuffed her suitcase with a dozen packages of tortillas.
Now that I live in Virginia, i understand. these wimpy, thin, full of
preservative flour tortillas they sell are a JOKE! Okay for making
'wraps", but not what you need to withstand a bowl of posole or stew.

Mission (I hate buying national brands of stuff like this but there's
nothing resembling a local brand around here - closest I can see comes
from Georgia, sso well known for its authentic tortillas <g>) makes
"restaurant style tortillas" that are nice and thick and go well
alongside. They don't roll too well, so I buy other thin floppy ones
for burritoes.

The corn tortillas I buy at the grocery are okay, nothing like the good
ones back home but much more similar than the flour ones available,
except those fat mission ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.

South Africa - so we take what we can get

-
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:20:19 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

> salgud wrote:
>

>> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
>> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.

> South Africa - so we take what we can get
>

> -
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

We sent one of our sons to your Country for a month this last summer. He
loved it and is planning his next trip. The next one is on him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:40:10 -0800, cathyxyz wrote:

> I am often forgetting what a wide audience that RFC has. I thought y'all
> all lived in TEXAS. <g> Here in the central part of Texas, as you
> know, we are not that far from Mexico and more than a few of the natives have come here.
> We take it for granted that all of those authentic meskin goodies are available
> everyday, nearly everywhere and fresh. The packages of tortillas are often still hot.
> Even us gringos usually keep them stocked as most would stock any bread item.

Now I am really jealous... <sigh> I have yet to find a so-called
"mexican" restaurant here that is any good... Mind you, if you like
Indian, Greek, German or Portugese food - they have some really great
"authentic" places here...

> BTW..sound like you should get the loto ticket today..it is your lucky day..that could
> have been a huge pile up..glad they missed you.

Thanks jay, I will buy that lotto - ticket - I have time, they do a
draw every Wednesday and Saturday Glad your son liked it so much
over here - most people do. It's a great country. Wish you could try
our "boerewors" - think you would like it too!

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news

> I am often forgetting what a wide audience that RFC has. I thought y'all
> all lived in TEXAS. <g> Here in the central part of Texas, as you
> know, we are not that far from Mexico and more than a few of the natives
> have come here.
> We take it for granted that all of those authentic meskin goodies are
> available
> everyday, nearly everywhere and fresh. The packages of tortillas are often
> still hot.
> Even us gringos usually keep them stocked as most would stock any bread
> item.

In the Houston area, we can get freshly-made, hot tortillas in many
supermarkets. Not even close to the factory-made (e.g., Mission) varieties.

Just one of the many things I'll miss after moving to the Baltimore area
later this year... (Guess it's a trade-off for all the great pizza, crabs,
etc. I'll be enjoying after the move.)

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> If you know where to go, there are a few good Mexican restaurants here
> in Denver. But I've had to ferret them out. But even those are
> questionable on the tortillas, just like the Mexican markets I've
> tried.

I've heard that the best Mexican restaurants in the area are in Greeley, but
I don't have names of any of them. So, what are the good places in Denver?

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "salgud" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>

>> If you know where to go, there are a few good Mexican restaurants here
>> in Denver. But I've had to ferret them out. But even those are
>> questionable on the tortillas, just like the Mexican markets I've
>> tried.
>>

> I've heard that the best Mexican restaurants in the area are in Greeley,
> but I don't have names of any of them. So, what are the good places in
> Denver?

Not sure about restaurants ... seems to be a personal choice most of the
time ...

But, on the subject of tortillas, if you're in the area you need to go to
Tortilleria La Autentica ... 510 E 4th in Loveland. Flour, corn and whole
wheat tortillas $2/dozen ... they have other stuff in the place but the
tortillas are to die for.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Feb 2006 12:21:49 -0800, salgud wrote:

> But even those are questionable on the tortillas, just like the
> Mexican markets I've tried.

There was a place I went to in San Antonio long ago where the tortillas
were brought to your table in this hard plastic lidded pot thing to keep
them warm. They were so good you want to just slap butter on them and
eat 'em raw instead of with the delicious fillings sitting in front of
you.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:36:17 +0000, Yeff wrote:

> On 27 Feb 2006 12:21:49 -0800, salgud wrote:
>
>> But even those are questionable on the tortillas, just like the
>> Mexican markets I've tried.

> They were so good you want to just slap butter on them and
> eat 'em raw instead of with the delicious fillings sitting in front of
> you.

They don't serve those things raw..but I get your drift. They are tastey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>
>> But, on the subject of tortillas, if you're in the area you need to go to
>> Tortilleria La Autentica ... 510 E 4th in Loveland. Flour, corn and
>> whole
>> wheat tortillas $2/dozen ... they have other stuff in the place but the
>> tortillas are to die for.

> OK, Bob (well, THAT Bob, anyway) where are you, that
> you know this most excellent place in my own town?
>
> Best damn tortillas in the area, and you've let the secret out -
> now we're gonna be overrun!!!!
>
> Bob M.

This wouldn't be the HP Bob Myers would it?

I'm over here just off of Taft, west of the lake.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:49:45 -0800, salgud wrote:
>

>> cathyxyz wrote:
>>> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
>>> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
>>> brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
>>> something
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Cathy(xyz)

>> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
>> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.

> I have eaten "Mexican" food in Denver, and you are right .. not even
> close.
>
> Read this..

In a city as large as Denver with as large of a Mexican population there are
bound to be dozens of very authentic Mexican restaurants.

I live in a little bitty town of less than 30K and can take you to several
very authentic restaurants. There's no way there aren't any in Denver.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cathyxyz wrote:
>> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
>> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
>> brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
>> something
>>
>> Cheers
>> Cathy(xyz)

> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.
> First of all, the vast majority here in the states are flour tortillas,
> but the only places I've seen flour tortillas in Mexico are in the
> American Tourist places like Cancun. And if you think places like
> Cancun resemble Mexico, you just haven't been paying attention.
> One thing I miss very much here (Denver) is that it's hard to find good
> corn tortillas. The further east you go, the harder it gets.
> BTW, if anyone reads this knows the genisis of the flour tortilla, I'm
> very curious. I've never been able to figure out where they came from,
> since you never see them in the parts of Mexico I've travelled. Maybe
> they come from souther Mexico, since I've never been down that way.
> Those of you who have been down there, not counting Cancun, Cozumel,
> and such, did you see flour tortillas?

You do know that at one time Mexico extended all the way to the Arkansas
river? In case you don't know where the Arkansas river is it's in southern
Colorado. The Spanish brought wheat with them.

Mexico is a fairly large country. I'm sure, just like every other country,
the cuisine varies from region to region, just like the dialects do. Even
in a country as small as Italy the cuisine varies from one region to
another.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob" > wrote in message
. com...

> But, on the subject of tortillas, if you're in the area you need to go to
> Tortilleria La Autentica ... 510 E 4th in Loveland. Flour, corn and whole
> wheat tortillas $2/dozen ... they have other stuff in the place but the
> tortillas are to die for.

OK, Bob (well, THAT Bob, anyway) where are you, that
you know this most excellent place in my own town?

Best damn tortillas in the area, and you've let the secret out -
now we're gonna be overrun!!!!

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:

> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two* different
> brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a lurker on rfc or
> something
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Still learn to make good flour tortillas. The prepackaged ones aren't
normally very fresh. Maize tortillas might be problematic as they
require maize flour that has been treated with alkali.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>

>>I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
>>that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.
>>First of all, the vast majority here in the states are flour tortillas,
>>but the only places I've seen flour tortillas in Mexico are in the
>>American Tourist places like Cancun. And if you think places like
>>Cancun resemble Mexico, you just haven't been paying attention.
>>One thing I miss very much here (Denver) is that it's hard to find good
>>corn tortillas. The further east you go, the harder it gets.
>>BTW, if anyone reads this knows the genisis of the flour tortilla, I'm
>>very curious. I've never been able to figure out where they came from,
>>since you never see them in the parts of Mexico I've travelled. Maybe
>>they come from souther Mexico, since I've never been down that way.
>>Those of you who have been down there, not counting Cancun, Cozumel,
>>and such, did you see flour tortillas?

> Authentic to mexico or not, I'm spoiled from living in Albuquerque,
> where nice thick flour tortillas are served alongside green chile stew
> to sop up juices. I used to laugh at a friedn who had moved out of
> state when she stuffed her suitcase with a dozen packages of tortillas.
> Now that I live in Virginia, i understand.

It depends on where in Virginia you live. In the Shenandoah Valley, we
have groceries, bakeries, saloons, etc. catering to the Hispanic
population, and where Spanish is often the only language used. We have
representatives from a goodly number of countries, from Mexico on south,
so a wide variety of foods.

The Harrisonburg area has several. And several Asian markets. A wide
variety of ethnic restaurants in a market of under 50,000 including the
folks who travel 50 miles and sometimes more to shop there.

Pastorio

> these wimpy, thin, full of
> preservative flour tortillas they sell are a JOKE! Okay for making
> 'wraps", but not what you need to withstand a bowl of posole or stew.
>
> Mission (I hate buying national brands of stuff like this but there's
> nothing resembling a local brand around here - closest I can see comes
> from Georgia, sso well known for its authentic tortillas <g>) makes
> "restaurant style tortillas" that are nice and thick and go well
> alongside. They don't roll too well, so I buy other thin floppy ones
> for burritoes.
>
> The corn tortillas I buy at the grocery are okay, nothing like the good
> ones back home but much more similar than the flour ones available,
> except those fat mission ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:
>It depends on where in Virginia you live. In the Shenandoah Valley, we
> have groceries, bakeries, saloons, etc. catering to the Hispanic
> population, and where Spanish is often the only language used. We have
> representatives from a goodly number of countries, from Mexico on south,
> so a wide variety of foods.
>
> The Harrisonburg area has several. And several Asian markets. A wide
> variety of ethnic restaurants in a market of under 50,000 including the
> folks who travel 50 miles and sometimes more to shop there.
>
> Pastorio

I'm in Virginia Beach. I just drove by a place called "La Tiendita"
(The Little Market), so I'm going to stop by when they're open and see
if they've got a line on good tortillas. And sadly, as a working mom,
there's not much time to travel 50 miles for ingredients. (Once a month
to Newport News for Trader Joes I can handle though!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob" > wrote in message
om...

> > OK, Bob (well, THAT Bob, anyway) where are you, that
> > you know this most excellent place in my own town?
> >
> > Best damn tortillas in the area, and you've let the secret out -
> > now we're gonna be overrun!!!!
> >
> > Bob M.
> >

> This wouldn't be the HP Bob Myers would it?

Yup - howdja guess? Who are YOU?

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> om...
>

>> > OK, Bob (well, THAT Bob, anyway) where are you, that
>> > you know this most excellent place in my own town?
>> >
>> > Best damn tortillas in the area, and you've let the secret out -
>> > now we're gonna be overrun!!!!
>> >
>> > Bob M.
>> >

>> This wouldn't be the HP Bob Myers would it?

> Yup - howdja guess? Who are YOU?
>
> Bob M.

I'd send you some e-mail but your address is as bogus as mine! ... started
at HP in 1972: software hack,9830,QWERT (9845A&C), Starbase, HP-UX, etc ...
was told to get lost in 2001, so I did.

Bob J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Myers wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> om...

> > This wouldn't be the HP Bob Myers would it?

> Yup - howdja guess? Who are YOU?

Check your full headers.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob" > wrote

> "Bob Myers" > wrote

>>> This wouldn't be the HP Bob Myers would it?

>> Yup - howdja guess? Who are YOU?

> I'd send you some e-mail but your address is as bogus as mine! ... started
> at HP in 1972: software hack,9830,QWERT (9845A&C), Starbase, HP-UX, etc
> ... was told to get lost in 2001, so I did.

I thought, and have said as much, that all the Bobs know
each other. Now we know, it's true. Like a big giant Bob
club.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Bob" > wrote
>
>> "Bob Myers" > wrote

>>> Yup - howdja guess? Who are YOU?

>> I'd send you some e-mail but your address is as bogus as mine! ...
>> started at HP in 1972: software hack,9830,QWERT (9845A&C), Starbase,
>> HP-UX, etc ... was told to get lost in 2001, so I did.

> I thought, and have said as much, that all the Bobs know
> each other. Now we know, it's true. Like a big giant Bob
> club.
>
> nancy

We've been found out ... and we have a party every year at Halloween and do
our thing to those apples!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote
>
> >"Bob Myers" > wrote

> > > Yup - howdja guess? Who are YOU?

> > I'd send you some e-mail but your address is as bogus as mine! ...
> > started at HP in 1972: software hack,9830,QWERT (9845A&C),
> > Starbase, HP-UX, etc ... was told to get lost in 2001, so I did.

> I thought, and have said as much, that all the Bobs know
> each other. Now we know, it's true. Like a big giant Bob
> club.

I remember seeing a news report about a convention kind of thing, where
everyone in attendance was named Bob. As part of the fun, they all had
those nametags, all of which of course said "Bob".

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I thought, and have said as much, that all the Bobs know
>> each other. Now we know, it's true. Like a big giant Bob
>> club.

> We've been found out ... and we have a party every year at Halloween and
> do our thing to those apples!

Oh, man! I knew it. The Bob CABOB (TINC).

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Myers" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I thought, and have said as much, that all the Bobs know
>> each other. Now we know, it's true. Like a big giant Bob
>> club.

> Right...and we're all still paying royalties to Microsoft
> for the use of the name...:-)

Guess who just called, just this minute. Ron's friend BOB.
What'd you do, call to warn him I was onto the Bob club?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob" > wrote in message
m...

> I'd send you some e-mail but your address is as bogus as mine! ... started
> at HP in 1972: software hack,9830,QWERT (9845A&C), Starbase, HP-UX, etc

> was told to get lost in 2001, so I did.

Oh, geeze! Yes, now I know exactly who this is. My
valid e-mail address is firstinitiallastname (without any of
this dot or other nonsense in between), plus the expected
suffix.

All of the above, of course, brings back memories better
left alone....:-)

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> I thought, and have said as much, that all the Bobs know
> each other. Now we know, it's true. Like a big giant Bob
> club.

Right...and we're all still paying royalties to Microsoft
for the use of the name...:-)

I'd tell you the secret handshake so you could get into the
parties, but you are, unfortunately, among the great
NotBob masses...so as one of the UnBobified, you are
not permitted access to the Holy Knowledge...

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> I remember seeing a news report about a convention kind of thing, where
> everyone in attendance was named Bob. As part of the fun, they all had
> those nametags, all of which of course said "Bob".

Doesn't matter - we tell each other apart by serial number.

("...it's tattooed on th' back o' the neck!")

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Feb 2006 08:49:45 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:

>I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
>that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.

We live in a small town that is 20% Mexican.
We not only get locally made authentic tortillas, but also tortilla
chips that are amazing.

And then the restaurants...! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>South Africa - so we take what we can get

Want me to send you anything?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> cathyxyz wrote:
>> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
>> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even *two*
>> different brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a
>> lurker on rfc or something
>>
>> Cheers
>> Cathy(xyz)

> I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very much
> that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican tortilla.

Cathy is in SOUTH AFRICA.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

After watching an episode of Rick Bayless (yes, someone *does* like
Rick Bayless) I decided to try fresh tortillas. The ones from the store
are rubbery and go moldy too soon after getting home. I found tortilla
presses in the grocery store (in Idaho, USA) and bought one and a bag
of masa. Now I make my own and love 'em. It's really easy: just add
enough water to the masa to get a consistency like play-doh, then crank
them out, flop them onto the griddle or into a skillet, cook both
sides, and use them fresh and hot. I like them for quesadillas or
alongside huevos rancheros.

Now that I have masa flour around the house I use it for other things
too: for corn crackers, for coating oven-fried chicken, for thickening
chili. Great stuff.

Kathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> salgud wrote:
> > cathyxyz wrote:
> >> I was whining the other day about not being able to find ready made
> >> tortillas - well, today the store had them again - even two
> >> different brands - what luxury.... maybe the store manager is a
> >> lurker on rfc or something
> > >

> > I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, I doubt very
> > much that you got anything even reminiscent of a real Mexican
> > tortilla.

In Minneapolis, some of the supermarket tortillas are rather like those
sold in groceries where clerks and customers are much more comfortable
speaking Spanish than English.

For that matter, it's possible to buy injera (the Ethiopian bread which
looks like a gray sponge) in some supermarkets here.

However, the supermarkets don't yet carry camel meat. For that, you
have to go to a smaller grocery.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.