Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A familiar name

Meg Worley. How cool is this???

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...rticle_popular

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...camp=article_p
> opular
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Very cool.

"A few professors said they had rules for e-mail and told their students
how quickly they would respond, how messages should be drafted and what
types of messages they would answer.
Meg Worley, an assistant professor of English at Pomona College in
California, said she told students that they must say thank you after
receiving a professor's response to an e-mail message.
"One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person
always has to write back," Professor Worley said."

Go, Meg!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:12:04 GMT, (Curly
Sue) rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Meg Worley. How cool is this???

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...rticle_popular

Wow! There's a name I haven't seen for *ages*! Every now and then we
get a thread going about some long time posters we don't hear from
anymore. <sigh>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:10:18 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:12:04 GMT, (Curly
>Sue) rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>Meg Worley. How cool is this???

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...rticle_popular

>Wow! There's a name I haven't seen for *ages*! Every now and then we
>get a thread going about some long time posters we don't hear from
>anymore. <sigh>

Ahh, Meg. Such a voice of reason, always.

--
modom

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...incamp=article
> > _p
> > opular
> >
> > Sue(tm)
> > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Very cool.
>
> "A few professors said they had rules for e-mail and told their students
> how quickly they would respond, how messages should be drafted and what
> types of messages they would answer.
> Meg Worley, an assistant professor of English at Pomona College in
> California, said she told students that they must say thank you after
> receiving a professor's response to an e-mail message.
> "One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person
> always has to write back," Professor Worley said."
>
> Go, Meg!

I used to enjoy the email asking me if I said anything important in a
missed lecture. I usually responded by saying I never say anything
important in the classroom. I'm only there to keep the students off the
streets.

My lectures were 80 minutes long. Sometimes I informed the student that
since I type more slowly than I talk it would take quite some time to
tell them what they missed via email. I'd invite them to my office for
a private lecture. Nobody took me up on that one.

I remain happily retired and derelict,
Dave W.

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

Regardless of what doesn't happen, there's always someone who knew it wouldn't.
R. Henry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dave W." > wrote:
> I used to enjoy the email asking me if I said anything important in a
> missed lecture. I usually responded by saying I never say anything
> important in the classroom. I'm only there to keep the students off the
> streets.
>
> My lectures were 80 minutes long. Sometimes I informed the student that
> since I type more slowly than I talk it would take quite some time to
> tell them what they missed via email. I'd invite them to my office for
> a private lecture. Nobody took me up on that one.
>
> I remain happily retired and derelict,
> Dave W.

LOL! I'm going to pass the article and your comment to my husband,
Dave. He had mail from a student a couple weeks ago where the student
was, in essence, wanting Rob to do the homework problem for him. (And
he retired TO teaching. :-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:12:04 GMT, (Curly
> Sue) rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
> >Meg Worley. How cool is this???

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...?incamp=articl

e_popular

> Wow! There's a name I haven't seen for *ages*! Every now and then we
> get a thread going about some long time posters we don't hear from
> anymore. <sigh>

IIRC she posts on ba.food...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> "A few professors said they had rules for e-mail and told their students
> how quickly they would respond, how messages should be drafted and what
> types of messages they would answer.
> Meg Worley, an assistant professor of English at Pomona College in
> California, said she told students that they must say thank you after
> receiving a professor's response to an e-mail message.
> "One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person
> always has to write back," Professor Worley said."

> Go, Meg!

She says she was misquoted.
<http://groups.google.com/group/ba.food/msg/d11a940b288acb03>.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> "A few professors said they had rules for e-mail and told their students
>> how quickly they would respond, how messages should be drafted and what
>> types of messages they would answer.
>> Meg Worley, an assistant professor of English at Pomona College in
>> California, said she told students that they must say thank you after
>> receiving a professor's response to an e-mail message.
>> "One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person
>> always has to write back," Professor Worley said."

>> Go, Meg!

> She says she was misquoted.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/ba.food/msg/d11a940b288acb03>.
>
> Bubba

I was interviewed in an arizona newspaper once for a web project I was working
on. I was completely misquoted and they made me sound like some cocky, uppity
bitch. I was so irritated.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:48:32 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Victor Sack wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>>> "A few professors said they had rules for e-mail and told their students
>>> how quickly they would respond, how messages should be drafted and what
>>> types of messages they would answer.
>>> Meg Worley, an assistant professor of English at Pomona College in
>>> California, said she told students that they must say thank you after
>>> receiving a professor's response to an e-mail message.
>>> "One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person
>>> always has to write back," Professor Worley said."

>>> Go, Meg!

>> She says she was misquoted.
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/ba.food/msg/d11a940b288acb03>.
>>
>> Bubba

>I was interviewed in an arizona newspaper once for a web project I was working
>on. I was completely misquoted and they made me sound like some cocky, uppity
>bitch. I was so irritated.
>
>--

When one calls a company a recording often says "This call may be
recorded (for some bogus reason)." I wish those recording things were
easier to come by and use for the rest of us.

I also find it discouraging to hear that newspapers won't run
someone's words by them before printing them.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:15:22 GMT, (Curly
Sue) connected the dots and wrote:

~On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:48:32 GMT, The Bubbo >
~wrote:
~
~>Victor Sack wrote:
~>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
~>>
[...]
~>
~>I was interviewed in an arizona newspaper once for a web project I
was working
~>on. I was completely misquoted and they made me sound like some
cocky, uppity
~>bitch. I was so irritated.
~>
~>--
~
~When one calls a company a recording often says "This call may be
~recorded (for some bogus reason)." I wish those recording things
were
~easier to come by and use for the rest of us.
~
~I also find it discouraging to hear that newspapers won't run
~someone's words by them before printing them.
~
~Sue(tm)
~Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

What? You want them to give you a chance to retract what you said
before they blatt it all over their medium? OTOH, I guess I was
lucky. When the fellow from the Boston Globe interviewed me, he got
all my quotes right.

Meg is the one who always ended her posts"rage away"
I liked that.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:12:04 GMT, (Curly
Sue) connected the dots and wrote:

~Meg Worley. How cool is this???
~
~
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/ed...rticle_popular
~
~Sue(tm)
~Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I like her comment about properly formatting your e-mail. Especially
the part about the balance of power and thank you notes!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Sue.<g>
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>Go, Meg!

I often quote something she emailed me, once, regarding "bad love
interests":

"Any woman without at least one horror story in her past is a total coward."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:07:59 -0800, kalanamak >
wrote:

>I often quote something she emailed me, once, regarding "bad love
>interests":
>
>"Any woman without at least one horror story in her past is a total coward."

Oh gawd..I was not a coward, but maybe a fool.... Probably more than
once or twice. But I don't regret it..

Christine