Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Take this Freedom Fries: Iran Renames Danish Pastries

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer
Thu Feb 16, 2:23 PM ET

TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
Prophet Muhammad..."

<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>

-bwg
Jihadi in the Cartoon Intifada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy1 wrote:

> > TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
> > the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
> > Prophet Muhammad..."
> >
> > <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>
> >
> > -bwg
> > Jihadi in the Cartoon Intifada

> So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
> IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.

I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.

I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.

The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
taking any more business there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:03:03 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Nancy1 wrote:
>

>> > TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
>> > the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
>> > Prophet Muhammad..."
>> >
>> > <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>
>> >
>> > -bwg
>> > Jihadi in the Cartoon Intifada

>> So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
>> IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.

>I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.
>
>I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
>and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.
>
>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>taking any more business there.

And above we have an example of an American heeding the words of
George W. Bush:

"I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the
world. We respect your faith. It's practiced freely by many millions
of Americans, and by millions more in countries that America counts as
friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit
evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah."
--Address to a Joint Session of Congress, September 2001

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Nancy1 wrote:
>

>> > TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
>> > the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
>> > Prophet Muhammad..."
>> >
>> > <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>
>> >
>> > -bwg
>> > Jihadi in the Cartoon Intifada

>> So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
>> IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.

> I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom
> Fries.

That Freedom Fries nonsense was the idea of Walter Jones, a congressman from
this state (NC). Not my congressman I am happy to say.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Poke Jackson" > wrote

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:03:03 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some
>>gas. I
>>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's
>>office.
>>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>>taking any more business there.

> And above we have an example of an American heeding the words of
> George W. Bush:

An American? Are you sure?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Poke Jackson" > wrote
>
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:03:03 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some
>>>gas. I
>>>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's
>>>office.
>>>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>>>taking any more business there.

>> And above we have an example of an American heeding the words of
>> George W. Bush:

> An American? Are you sure?
>
> nancy

Probably a "christian."

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:07:21 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>"Poke Jackson" > wrote
>
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:03:03 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some
>>>gas. I
>>>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's
>>>office.
>>>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>>>taking any more business there.

>> And above we have an example of an American heeding the words of
>> George W. Bush:

>An American? Are you sure?

North American, then.

OK, so there are idiots in Canada too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Poke Jackson wrote:

> >> And above we have an example of an American heeding the words of
> >> George W. Bush:

> >An American? Are you sure?

> North American, then.
>
> OK, so there are idiots in Canada too.

I am just doing my bit to make the Moslem boycott of Denmark counter
productive. I got some Faxe beer the other day and today I bought some Danish
blue cheese and some Danish Havarti. It's got nothing to do with Bush. I am not
American and I am not Christian. I owe a personal debt of gratitude to a lot of
Danes, and as long as Moslems are boycotting Denmark over some silly cartoons I
am going to be boycotting Moslem run businesses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I am just doing my bit to make the Moslem boycott of Denmark counter
> productive. I got some Faxe beer the other day and today I bought some Danish
> blue cheese and some Danish Havarti. It's got nothing to do with Bush. I am not
> American and I am not Christian. I owe a personal debt of gratitude to a lot of
> Danes, and as long as Moslems are boycotting Denmark over some silly cartoons I
> am going to be boycotting Moslem run businesses.

Kewl. I boughtDanish "feta" last week for the same reason . i dont'even
liek feta alal that much, but I wanted to support the Danes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>Nancy1 wrote:
>

>>>TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
>>>the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
>>>Prophet Muhammad..."
>>>
>>><http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>
>>>
>>>-bwg
>>> Jihadi in the Cartoon Intifada
>>>

>>So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
>>IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.
>>

>I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.
>
>I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
>and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.
>
>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>taking any more business there.

Really, I thought better of you than that. Being a curmudgeon is one
thing, but bigotry is something else altogether.

Tell me you're joking, please...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

>"Poke Jackson" > wrote
>

>>On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:03:03 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>>

>>>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some
>>>gas. I
>>>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's
>>>office.
>>>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>>>taking any more business there.
>>>

>>And above we have an example of an American heeding the words of
>>George W. Bush:
>>

>An American? Are you sure?
>
>nancy

I always thought he was a Canadian. You will note he refers to you lot
as Merkins.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>>An American? Are you sure?

> I always thought he was a Canadian. You will note he refers to you lot as
> Merkins.

Yes, I knew that, that's why I said it. Just being my usual wiseass self.
(smile)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer
> Thu Feb 16, 2:23 PM ET
>
> TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
> the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
> Prophet Muhammad..."
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>

I have to thank the Iranians and the other Muslims who're freaking out
about that cartoon series. Far too many Americans are arrogant, too
self-absorbed, and way too religious. Well, those muslims make the
religious right here in the states look like rank amateurs when it comes
to taking religion too seriously. Their insistence that they can (or
need to) defend their supposed almighty and all powerful savior makes no
sense at all. If their god is almighty, it would certainly not need any
silly mortals to defend it, nor would it likely care if we believed in
it or not. Those religious nut cases (of all stripes) need to get a
sense of humor and/or take a chill pill!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

> >>So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
> >>IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.
> >>

> >I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.
> >
> >I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
> >and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.
> >
> >The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
> >went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
> >When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
> >taking any more business there.
> >

> Really, I thought better of you than that. Being a curmudgeon is one
> thing, but bigotry is something else altogether.

Nothing "bigoted" about it, he can choose to patronise any business he
wants...this ain't communism.

> Tell me you're joking, please...

Why would you think he is "joking"? Have you read his posts about the
Danes who saved his father's life during WWII?

[ I bought some MORE Danish blue and Tuborg and Danish butter cookies
today...this weekend I am going to visit a Scandinavian store here in
Chicago to see if they have some little Danish flag lapel pins or
baseball caps or some such that I can wear to show solidarity with the
Danes. It's very important to me that we support Denmark...maybe I'll
even cruise into some Muslim - owned business wearing my Danish regalia
to give the stoopid pukes a little "jolt", heehee...]

I choose not to do business with Muslims either. I'm homosexual and
they believe (literally) that *** people should be put to death. I
AIN'T havin' it...least I can do is take my bidness elsewhere if I at
all can...

I won't even get into taxicabs that have obvious Muslim drivers. Once
in hospital a Muslim doctor (female) was assigned to me. I demanded
another doctor (made a real STINK in fact) - and I GOT a non - Muslim
doctor...

[And don't anyone give me any guff about "moderate" Muslims, there is
no such animal...]

I do my best to patronise companies that are *** - friendly/inclusive.
Frex even though the Cracker Barrel chain has rescinded it's notorious
anti - *** personnel policies, you couldn't force me to eat there if I
was starving. The whole Cracker Barrel contretemps a few years ago
just left too much of a bitter taste in my mouth for me to ever
consider giving those ignernt rednecks one thin DIME of my business...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

>Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>

>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>>I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.
>>>
>>>I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
>>>and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.
>>>
>>>The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
>>>went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
>>>When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
>>>taking any more business there.
>>>

>>Really, I thought better of you than that. Being a curmudgeon is one
>>thing, but bigotry is something else altogether.
>>

>Nothing "bigoted" about it, he can choose to patronise any business he
>wants...this ain't communism.
>

>>Tell me you're joking, please...
>>

>Why would you think he is "joking"? Have you read his posts about the
>Danes who saved his father's life during WWII?
>
>[ I bought some MORE Danish blue and Tuborg and Danish butter cookies
>today...this weekend I am going to visit a Scandinavian store here in
>Chicago to see if they have some little Danish flag lapel pins or
>baseball caps or some such that I can wear to show solidarity with the
>Danes. It's very important to me that we support Denmark...maybe I'll
>even cruise into some Muslim - owned business wearing my Danish regalia
>to give the stoopid pukes a little "jolt", heehee...]
>
>I choose not to do business with Muslims either. I'm homosexual and
>they believe (literally) that *** people should be put to death. I
>AIN'T havin' it...least I can do is take my bidness elsewhere if I at
>all can...
>
>I won't even get into taxicabs that have obvious Muslim drivers. Once
>in hospital a Muslim doctor (female) was assigned to me. I demanded
>another doctor (made a real STINK in fact) - and I GOT a non - Muslim
>doctor...
>
>[And don't anyone give me any guff about "moderate" Muslims, there is
>no such animal...]
>
>I do my best to patronise companies that are *** - friendly/inclusive.
>Frex even though the Cracker Barrel chain has rescinded it's notorious
>anti - *** personnel policies, you couldn't force me to eat there if I
>was starving. The whole Cracker Barrel contretemps a few years ago
>just left too much of a bitter taste in my mouth for me to ever
>consider giving those ignernt rednecks one thin DIME of my business...

You wouldn't by any chance be related to Sheryl Rosen?

Christine
Remembering back a few years
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

> >>So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
> >>IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.
> >>

> >I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.
> >
> >I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
> >and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.
> >
> >The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
> >went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
> >When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
> >taking any more business there.
> >

> Really, I thought better of you than that. Being a curmudgeon is one
> thing, but bigotry is something else altogether.
>
> Tell me you're joking, please...

"A Mouse looked through the crack in the wall to see the farmer and his

wife open a package.

"What food might this contain?" The mouse wondered-- he was devastated
to discover it was a mousetrap.

Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning.

"There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the
house!"

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said, "Mr.
Mouse, I can tell this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no
consequence to me. I cannot be bothered by it."

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, "There is a mousetrap in the
house! There is a mousetrap in the house!"

The pig sympathized, but said, "I am so very sorry, Mr. Mouse, but
there is nothing I can do about it but pray. Be assured you are in my
prayers."

The mouse turned to the cow and said "There is a mousetrap in the
house! There is a mousetrap in the house!"

The cow said, "Wow, Mr. Mouse. I'm sorry for you, but it's no skin off
my nose."

So, the mouse returned to the house, head down and dejected, to face
the farmer's mousetrap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house-- like the
sound of a mousetrap catching its prey.

The farmer's wife rushed to see what was caught. In the darkness, she
did not see it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught.

The snake bit the farmer's wife. The farmer rushed her to the
hospital, and she returned home with a fever.

Everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the
farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup's main ingredient.

But his wife's sickness continued, so friends and neighbors came to sit

with her around the clock. To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.

The farmer's wife did not get well; she died. So many people came for
her funeral, the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide enough meat
for all of them.

The mouse looked upon it all from his crack in the wall with great
sadness.

So, the next time you hear someone is facing a problem and think it
doesn't concern you, remember-- when one of us is threatened, we are
all at risk."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> I have to thank the Iranians and the other Muslims who're freaking out
> about that cartoon series. Far too many Americans are arrogant, too
> self-absorbed, and way too religious. Well, those muslims make the
> religious right here in the states look like rank amateurs when it comes
> to taking religion too seriously. Their insistence that they can (or
> need to) defend their supposed almighty and all powerful savior makes no
> sense at all. If their god is almighty, it would certainly not need any
> silly mortals to defend it, nor would it likely care if we believed in
> it or not. Those religious nut cases (of all stripes) need to get a
> sense of humor and/or take a chill pill!

Ann Coulter recently wrote that "Muslims make feminists look laid -
back"...heehee...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> You wouldn't by any chance be related to Sheryl Rosen?
>
> Christine
> Remembering back a few years

Much to Sheryl's utter chagrin, no...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Most feminists are laid--back and fore; far more often than Coulterish
ice queens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > I have to thank the Iranians and the other Muslims who're freaking out
> > about that cartoon series. Far too many Americans are arrogant, too
> > self-absorbed, and way too religious. Well, those muslims make the
> > religious right here in the states look like rank amateurs when it comes
> > to taking religion too seriously. Their insistence that they can (or
> > need to) defend their supposed almighty and all powerful savior makes no
> > sense at all. If their god is almighty, it would certainly not need any
> > silly mortals to defend it, nor would it likely care if we believed in
> > it or not. Those religious nut cases (of all stripes) need to get a
> > sense of humor and/or take a chill pill!

> Ann Coulter recently wrote that "Muslims make feminists look laid -
> back"...heehee...

I guess that is another perspective! In regard to food, I really think
Ann Coulter needs to eat on occasion. Maybe a sandwich or two per day
would easy her mental issues!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> Really, I thought better of you than that. Being a curmudgeon is one
> thing, but bigotry is something else altogether.
>
> Tell me you're joking, please...

Why would such a boycott be a sign of bigotry? The boycott is not based
on Muslims' religious practice, but their violent reaction to cartoons
and their Danish boycott. If Muslims are free to boycott products from
Denmark, it seems only fair that others be free to boycott Muslim
products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jake > wrote:

> > I am just doing my bit to make the Moslem boycott of Denmark counter
> > productive. I got some Faxe beer the other day and today I bought some
> > Danish
> > blue cheese and some Danish Havarti. It's got nothing to do with Bush. I am
> > not
> > American and I am not Christian. I owe a personal debt of gratitude to a
> > lot of
> > Danes, and as long as Moslems are boycotting Denmark over some silly
> > cartoons I
> > am going to be boycotting Moslem run businesses.
> >

> Kewl. I boughtDanish "feta" last week for the same reason . i dont'even
> liek feta alal that much, but I wanted to support the Danes.

What do people suggest I buy that's from Denmark that's also low in fat
and calories? I guess I could buy Legos, but they're way too high in
roughage! Seriously though, what products are the Danes known for
other than cheese and pastries?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> What do people suggest I buy that's from Denmark that's also low in fat
> and calories? I guess I could buy Legos, but they're way too high in
> roughage! Seriously though, what products are the Danes known for
> other than cheese and pastries?

http://buydanish.home.comcast.net/products.htm

A LIST OF DANISH PRODUCTS
And Who Could Forget:
Denmark
www.VisitDenmark.com
Danish Exporters (If you have the time this is quite a list)

Food:
Arla Foods is Europe's second-largest dairy company and the leading Danish exporter
to Saudi Arabia, where it sells an estimated 328 million dollars worth of products
every year
Brands
Rosenborg
Lurpak
Dofino
Denmark's Finest
Mediterra

Danish Crown (meat)
Emborg
Beautiful Denmark (Butter Cookies)
Famous Dane (Butter Cookies)
Danish Bacon
Thor Fish
Danisco Food

Candy:
Toms (chocolate)
LAgermann
Galle & Jessen
Ingeborgs Chocolate

Beverages:
Tuborg Beer
Carlsberg Beer
Aalborg Aquavit (snaps)
Danish Distillers (Swedish Company some products produced in Denmark)

Medicine:
Novo

Audio Equipment/Home Theater
(Theatre for those across the Pond):
Audio Vector
B&O (Bang & Olufsen)
Cilo
Dali
DynAudio
Eltax
Jamo
Tangent
Vifa

Cigarettes:
Prince (Do not start smoking because of this fire!)

Clothing:
H2O
Hummel
Per Reumert
Munthe plus Simonsen
Bruuns Bazaar
IC Companies
In Wear
Matinique
Noa Noa
Sand

Shoes:
Ecco (USA Site)
Jaco
Dansko

Softwa
EarMaster (for musicians)

Toys:
Brio (oops Swedish will remove this weekend)
Lego (toys)

Furnitu
Fritz Hansen

Danish Design:
B & G Porcelain
Georg Jensen
HTH- kitchen
Morsoe (Fireplaces)
Lindberg (Glasses)
PH-lamps
Pipes
Raadvad (knives etc.)
Royal Copenhagen
Royal Danish Porcelain
Skagen (Watches)
Stelton
Trip Trap
Vesta (Windmills)

Other:
Danish Yarn
Nexo Fireplaces
Nilfisk Vacuum Cleaners (USA site since I do not speak Danish)
Watco Danish Furniture Oil
Leitech (USA Site) Special "thread gage" used in quality control in the following
areas of manufacturing; automotive, aerospace, medical, hydraulics, small and large
engine manufacture.
Leitech (Danish Site)
Grund Foss ( Pump solution maker)
Dan Foss ( Valve manufacture )
GN ( Hearing aid, headsets and mobil headsets )
X-Yachts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> > Tell me you're joking, please...

> Why would you think he is "joking"? Have you read his posts about the
> Danes who saved his father's life during WWII?

Indeed. And not just the number of Danes who risked their lives to help him, but to
the many Danes who were so hospitable to us when we went back there to bury his ashes
alongside the graves of his crew mates. The last time I went back to visit his grave
I was delightfully surprised to find fresh flowers on his grave. Danes are damned
fine people who value freedom and democracy and I think that we should stand by them.
Since the actions of a handful of people in the country have led to them being faced
with a boycott from the world of Islam, which stands for the opposite of most things
that we believe in the west, it is on our best interests to counter the boycott, not
just to make up for business the Danes may have lost to Moslems, but to tune it
against them.

I will make an exception to my boycott of Moslem run businesses if I see a Danish
flag, an I Love Denmark sign, or a display of Danish goods in the store.

> [ I bought some MORE Danish blue and Tuborg and Danish butter cookies
> today...this weekend I am going to visit a Scandinavian store here in

I bought some Tuborg beer last week and and on Valentines Day my wife bought me a case
of Faxe. When I went shopping yesterday I got some Danish Havarti and some Danish
blue. My wife had stopped on her way home and bought some Danish blue. We know have
lots of it. I had a salad with blue cheese dressing and some extra Danish blue added
to it. Tonight I am having chicken wings and will have those with celery and carrots
with blue cheese dressing fortified with extra Danish blue. Since Buffalo wings go
best with beer, it will have to decide ... Tuborg or Faxe.

> Chicago to see if they have some little Danish flag lapel pins or
> baseball caps or some such that I can wear to show solidarity with the
> Danes. It's very important to me that we support Denmark...maybe I'll
> even cruise into some Muslim - owned business wearing my Danish regalia
> to give the stoopid pukes a little "jolt", heehee...]

I wear my Danish Canadian Friendship Assn. pin everywhere I go. It is a small lapel
pin with the Danish and Canadian flags side by side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> > >An American? Are you sure?

> > North American, then.
> >
> > OK, so there are idiots in Canada too.

> I am just doing my bit to make the Moslem boycott of Denmark counter
> productive. I got some Faxe beer the other day and today I bought some Danish
> blue cheese and some Danish Havarti. It's got nothing to do with Bush. I am not
> American and I am not Christian. I owe a personal debt of gratitude to a lot of
> Danes, and as long as Moslems are boycotting Denmark over some silly cartoons I
> am going to be boycotting Moslem run businesses.

I hope that you are dilgently boycotting USA businesses until they pay
up on the softwood lumber case too. Just so you're consistant
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Old Mother Ashby > wrote:
>
> > Really, I thought better of you than that. Being a curmudgeon is one
> > thing, but bigotry is something else altogether.
> >
> > Tell me you're joking, please...

> Why would such a boycott be a sign of bigotry? The boycott is not based
> on Muslims' religious practice, but their violent reaction to cartoons
> and their Danish boycott. If Muslims are free to boycott products from
> Denmark, it seems only fair that others be free to boycott Muslim
> products.

Well the first question might be "Are Canadians boycotting Danish
products?" If not then all Dave Smith is doing is boycotting a fellow
citizen because he dislikes the behaviour of that fellow-citizen's
"possible co-religionists" in another country.

This is really sensible : Just like me boycotting the local fruitmarket
because it is owned by a Catholic because I dislike some of the
right-wing Chistian religious nuts in the USA. Yah right got to get
those Christians!
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I hope that you are dilgently boycotting USA businesses until they pay
> up on the softwood lumber case too. Just so you're consistant

Buy Canadian wherever possible :-)

I am also very reluctant to buy French because they went halfway around the world to
test nuclear arms that they would not dare to do closer to home where it might affect
them. Then there was their actions in New Zealand where French agents killed two
people while blowing up the Rainbow Warrior. The agents were convicted and France
responded by using its veto power in the EU to pbar NZ meat from the continent. Dirty
business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> > I am just doing my bit to make the Moslem boycott of Denmark counter
> > productive. I got some Faxe beer the other day and today I bought some Danish
> > blue cheese and some Danish Havarti. It's got nothing to do with Bush. I am not
> > American and I am not Christian. I owe a personal debt of gratitude to a lot of
> > Danes, and as long as Moslems are boycotting Denmark over some silly cartoons I
> > am going to be boycotting Moslem run businesses.

> I hope that you are dilgently boycotting USA businesses until they pay
> up on the softwood lumber case too. Just so you're consistant
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I would be lying if I didn't admit that was a factor in a lot of my shopping. I was
in the grocery store yesterday and say pears from the US and pears from SA, so I got
the SA pears. Apples were from US or Canada, and I always give preference to home
grown.

Thanks to the French nuclear tests in the Pacific and French market retaliation
against NZ for imprisoning two French agents for bombing of the Rainbow Warrior and
related deaths of two NZers I am reluctant to buy any French goods.

However, that is a personal boycott. I am not burning down embassies or pushing for an
organized boycott.

In this case there is a culture that espouses ideals counter to our own that is using
a violation of their personal religious beliefs to incite people to riot and trying to
economically cripple an entire country because of the actions of a handful of
people. I know which side my bread is buttered on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> > Why would such a boycott be a sign of bigotry? The boycott is not based
> > on Muslims' religious practice, but their violent reaction to cartoons
> > and their Danish boycott. If Muslims are free to boycott products from
> > Denmark, it seems only fair that others be free to boycott Muslim
> > products.

> Well the first question might be "Are Canadians boycotting Danish
> products?" If not then all Dave Smith is doing is boycotting a fellow
> citizen because he dislikes the behaviour of that fellow-citizen's
> "possible co-religionists" in another country.

He has the opportunity to demonstrate his allegiance. If he has Danish
products prominently displayed or some other sign of support of Denmark, or a
prominent repudiation of the Islamic boycott of Danish foods I will consider
patronizing the business. Otherwise, I will feel free to associate him with
the other side of the boycott.

Bear in mind that it was Muslims who called for the boycott of Danish goods.
There are a lot of small stores here run by Muslims. Economic boycotts are a
two way street. They can backfire on the people who call them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rrb rrb is offline

Dave Smith wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
>
>>> TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for
>>> the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the
>>> Prophet Muhammad..."
>>>
>>> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_danish_pastries>
>>>
>>> -bwg
>>> Jihadi in the Cartoon Intifada

>> So, it's not o.k. to portray Muhammad with a bomb on his turban, but it
>> IS o.k. to have him endorse flaky pastry. Hmmmmm.

> I thought it was pretty goofy when Merkins started called fries Freedom Fries.
>
> I bought some Danish beer the other day. I intend to buy some Danish Cookies
> and some Danish Blue Cheese when I go shopping today.
>
> The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
> went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
> When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
> taking any more business there.

But is the business owned by Moslems? Perhaps you are really hurting a
Canadian or some other country owned business by this action. After all
anyone can be employed there I imagine. In this U.S. gas is usually
supplied by a separate oil company and sold to franchises other
businesses. It might not be the same in Canada. You ever think of this
smart guy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

rrb wrote:

> > The other day I was on my way to an appointment and had to stop for some gas. I
> > went to the new self serve station around the corner from my doctor's office.
> > When I went in to pay I discovered that it is run by Moslems. I won't be
> > taking any more business there.
> >

> But is the business owned by Moslems? Perhaps you are really hurting a
> Canadian or some other country owned business by this action. After all
> anyone can be employed there I imagine. In this U.S. gas is usually
> supplied by a separate oil company and sold to franchises other
> businesses. It might not be the same in Canada. You ever think of this
> smart guy?

It is a franchise. The same company has other outlets in the other area whose
franchise holders are not Moslem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>

> > What do people suggest I buy that's from Denmark that's also low in fat
> > and calories? I guess I could buy Legos, but they're way too high in
> > roughage! Seriously though, what products are the Danes known for
> > other than cheese and pastries?

> http://buydanish.home.comcast.net/products.htm

Thanks! This is very helpful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> [...]

>Pipes
>Raadvad (knives etc.)
>Royal Copenhagen
>Royal Danish Porcelain
>Skagen (Watches)
>Stelton
>Trip Trap
>Vesta (Windmills)
>
>Other:
>Danish Yarn
>Nexo Fireplaces
>Nilfisk Vacuum Cleaners (USA site since I do not speak Danish)
>Watco Danish Furniture Oil
>Leitech (USA Site) Special "thread gage" used in quality control in the following
>areas of manufacturing; automotive, aerospace, medical, hydraulics, small and large
>engine manufacture.
>Leitech (Danish Site)
>Grund Foss ( Pump solution maker)
>Dan Foss ( Valve manufacture )
>GN ( Hearing aid, headsets and mobil headsets )

You forgot Eva Rosenstandt embroidery kits.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> " wrote:
>>
>> I hope that you are dilgently boycotting USA businesses until
>> they pay up on the softwood lumber case too. Just so you're
>> consistant

> Buy Canadian wherever possible :-)
>
> I am also very reluctant to buy French because they went halfway
> around the world to test nuclear arms that they would not dare to
> do closer to home where it might affect them. Then there was their
> actions in New Zealand where French agents killed two people while
> blowing up the Rainbow Warrior. The agents were convicted and
> France responded by using its veto power in the EU to pbar NZ meat
> from the continent. Dirty business.

That was a long time ago and a completely different government. France
was on our side in the Iraq debacle, and you should reward them for
being on the side of goodness and niceness. Tough decisions need to be
made in the area of boycotts. Too many boycotts are launched as an
unintelligent emotional reaction to something one takes as a personal
slight, like the guy who wanted everyone to boycott Chinese buffet
restaurants in the US until China released the spy plane they had
captured when it landed in Hainan. Fat lot of good that was going to
do :-)

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> However, that is a personal boycott. I am not burning down
> embassies or pushing for an organized boycott.

To paraphrase Louis B. Mayer, a personal boycott, like a verbal
agreement, isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> You forgot Eva Rosenstandt embroidery kits.

I think Hanne Falkenberg knitting kits come from Denmark, and Vivian
Hoxbros books, patterns and kits.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > Stan Horwitz wrote:
> >
> > > I have to thank the Iranians and the other Muslims who're freaking out
> > > about that cartoon series. Far too many Americans are arrogant, too
> > > self-absorbed, and way too religious. Well, those muslims make the
> > > religious right here in the states look like rank amateurs when it comes
> > > to taking religion too seriously. Their insistence that they can (or
> > > need to) defend their supposed almighty and all powerful savior makes no
> > > sense at all. If their god is almighty, it would certainly not need any
> > > silly mortals to defend it, nor would it likely care if we believed in
> > > it or not. Those religious nut cases (of all stripes) need to get a
> > > sense of humor and/or take a chill pill!

> > Ann Coulter recently wrote that "Muslims make feminists look laid -
> > back"...heehee...

> I guess that is another perspective! In regard to food, I really think
> Ann Coulter needs to eat on occasion. Maybe a sandwich or two per day
> would easy her mental issues!

I just ran across that quote of hers somewhere, believe me I am not an
admirer of the Scrawny Siren of the Rabid Right ;-)

--
Best
Greg