Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
cooked?

What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?

I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
bone weight?

I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.

But the first question still remains!

Thanks!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Om,
>
> Weigh meat after cooking for your protein/calorie count, since the method
> of cooking effects the resulting calorie count and nutritional data.
>
> Here are two good places to start. You'll catch on, just take your time,
> it can be confusing at first.
>
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> and similar (draws from the same database with different gui/info):
>
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy

Thanks Andy!

Got those bookmarked for reference and am reading them. :-)

Right now for the meat, I am mostly using the Hamilton grill.
It's identical to the Foreman grill so drains most of the oils/fats off.
Drumsticks are leaner than thighs, but winglets are mostly bone so those
will be the most difficult!

I just really am not overly fond of boneless skinless breast meat. Too
dry! I did buy some boneless skinless thighs and thawed them, then used
the poultry shears to remove as much of the large fat pads as I could
before grilling them.

They are quite good!

Also put up some 6 oz. portions of trimmed beef bottom round.....

raw. ;-d

I get so damned hungry trying to do this. Thank gods for celery!
It's filling and satisfying. So is fresh frozen cooked spinach.

I'll have to check shrimp prices next week, and I have plenty of whiting
in the freezer. Catfish is going to be out for now :-( My favorite fish
but too high in fat. You should see the amount of oil that cooks out of
those fillets when I grill them in the Hamilton!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
:

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>

>> Om,
>>
>> Weigh meat after cooking for your protein/calorie count, since the
>> method of cooking effects the resulting calorie count and nutritional
>> data.
>>
>> Here are two good places to start. You'll catch on, just take your
>> time, it can be confusing at first.
>>
>> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>>
>> and similar (draws from the same database with different gui/info):
>>
>> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Andy

> Thanks Andy!
>
> Got those bookmarked for reference and am reading them. :-)
>
> Right now for the meat, I am mostly using the Hamilton grill.
> It's identical to the Foreman grill so drains most of the oils/fats
> off. Drumsticks are leaner than thighs, but winglets are mostly bone
> so those will be the most difficult!
>
> I just really am not overly fond of boneless skinless breast meat. Too
> dry! I did buy some boneless skinless thighs and thawed them, then
> used the poultry shears to remove as much of the large fat pads as I
> could before grilling them.
>
> They are quite good!
>
> Also put up some 6 oz. portions of trimmed beef bottom round.....
>
> raw. ;-d
>
> I get so damned hungry trying to do this. Thank gods for celery!
> It's filling and satisfying. So is fresh frozen cooked spinach.
>
> I'll have to check shrimp prices next week, and I have plenty of
> whiting in the freezer. Catfish is going to be out for now :-( My
> favorite fish but too high in fat. You should see the amount of oil
> that cooks out of those fillets when I grill them in the Hamilton!

Om,

I ditched my forman grill into the dumpster last year but my bud gave me
a mini one for Christmas. It does hotdogs "bitchin" but those grills will
dry the hell out of chicken or catfish or burgers.

I cook those in a glass-covered saute pot (tall sided pan) to keep the
moisture from escaping. Usually the food drowns in it's own fat but the
texture is just as you'd expect from a restaurant.

That reminds me, I have a doc appointment tomorrow for bloodwork,
cholesterol, etc.

*sigh*

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:

> Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> cooked?

I'm not Mr. Pastorio (nor do I play him on tv) but I weigh mine
after it's been cooked. I've lost 22 pounds since Nov. 1st.

> What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?
>
> I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> bone weight?
>
> I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.
>
> But the first question still remains!

Here's a great resource for calorie and macronutrient counts, Om:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_ma...ecode=12354500

I've used their software and IIRC, it gives information for both
raw and cooked meats, with and without bones. HTH!

--
JJ (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> cooked?

Cooked. The % balance of nutrients will change in the process, mostly
with loss of both fat and water-based juices.

Use the USDA database. It's what most of the others are based on.
<http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/>

But I caution you against trying to get exact figures. First, there are
only charts for the dead food that's already gone. Yours may be
different sizes or different composition or whatever. Second, since your
caloric usage isn't calculated exactly, your intake can't be, either.
Since everybody's body uses food differently than everybody else's, it
will be trial and error until you get a good handle on your needs.

The database is a good, useful approximation.

> What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?

You use yield factors for things like that. Professional culinary texts
will often carry that kind of info.

Here's a quick chart for bone-in Chicken:
% usable meat/finished portion ounces from 1 pound cooked
Whole Body 52-54%/8.5
Parts Breast 62-64%/10.0
Hindquarter 48-50%/8.0 (leg and thigh)
Drumstick 46-48%/7.5
Thigh 52-54%/8.5
Wing 42-45%/7.0

These are "reasonable" values for average chickens.

> I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> bone weight?

Depends on the age of the critter when it was killed, although a
reasonably normal yield ratio is 46% to 48% of cooked weight, depending
on degree of doneness. The more cooked, the less weight. Less fat, less
moisture. The cook range for the percentages is 160° to 180°. I can't
recommend the higher temperature finish. Dry chicken.

> I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.

Nah. Weigh the cooked whatever before you eat and then weigh the sad,
depleted and savaged carcass afterward. Those poor, innocent, pillaged,
gnawed bones. Subtract the weight of the formerly living, breathing
flesh from the now-murdered, plundered bones. Voila. The difference
("delta" to an engineer or mathematician) is the weight of what you
actually consumed.

Or you can eat it, weighing yourself before and after.

No, seriously...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >

> >> Om,
> >>
> >> Weigh meat after cooking for your protein/calorie count, since the
> >> method of cooking effects the resulting calorie count and nutritional
> >> data.
> >>
> >> Here are two good places to start. You'll catch on, just take your
> >> time, it can be confusing at first.
> >>
> >> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
> >>
> >> and similar (draws from the same database with different gui/info):
> >>
> >> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Thanks Andy!
> >
> > Got those bookmarked for reference and am reading them. :-)
> >
> > Right now for the meat, I am mostly using the Hamilton grill.
> > It's identical to the Foreman grill so drains most of the oils/fats
> > off. Drumsticks are leaner than thighs, but winglets are mostly bone
> > so those will be the most difficult!
> >
> > I just really am not overly fond of boneless skinless breast meat. Too
> > dry! I did buy some boneless skinless thighs and thawed them, then
> > used the poultry shears to remove as much of the large fat pads as I
> > could before grilling them.
> >
> > They are quite good!
> >
> > Also put up some 6 oz. portions of trimmed beef bottom round.....
> >
> > raw. ;-d
> >
> > I get so damned hungry trying to do this. Thank gods for celery!
> > It's filling and satisfying. So is fresh frozen cooked spinach.
> >
> > I'll have to check shrimp prices next week, and I have plenty of
> > whiting in the freezer. Catfish is going to be out for now :-( My
> > favorite fish but too high in fat. You should see the amount of oil
> > that cooks out of those fillets when I grill them in the Hamilton!

> Om,
>
> I ditched my forman grill into the dumpster last year but my bud gave me
> a mini one for Christmas. It does hotdogs "bitchin" but those grills will
> dry the hell out of chicken or catfish or burgers.

They can IF you over cook!
Marinade and shorter cooking times.

> I cook those in a glass-covered saute pot (tall sided pan) to keep the
> moisture from escaping. Usually the food drowns in it's own fat but the
> texture is just as you'd expect from a restaurant.

Well, I DO like the fact that the fat drains off.
I'm fixin' to pick up a decent toaster oven tho'.
It has it's own charms.

> That reminds me, I have a doc appointment tomorrow for bloodwork,
> cholesterol, etc.
>
> *sigh*
>
> Andy

Post the results? :-)

My total Cholesterol tends to be a bit high (around 240) but I believe
that a high triglyceride is worse! My last one was all the way down to
32. Results from low carbing! It's been as high as 300...

HDL fluctuates. Been as low as 35 and all the way up to 105!!! Floating
around 70 at the moment.

Wierd thing, shrimp drives up my HDL for several days! I've checked it
several times and it does it every single time. It was 73 a couple of
weeks ago, 3 days after eating shrimp.

HDL is the GOOD cholesterol.

Be sure to get a hemoglobin A1C

Good luck!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> > calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> > cooked?

> Cooked. The % balance of nutrients will change in the process, mostly
> with loss of both fat and water-based juices.

Cool! :-)

> Use the USDA database. It's what most of the others are based on.
> <http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/>

Danke!
It was posted earlier also, but worth the re-run.
I think Andy posted it.

> But I caution you against trying to get exact figures. First, there are
> only charts for the dead food that's already gone. Yours may be
> different sizes or different composition or whatever. Second, since your
> caloric usage isn't calculated exactly, your intake can't be, either.
> Since everybody's body uses food differently than everybody else's, it
> will be trial and error until you get a good handle on your needs.

Well, this type of diet is pretty much foolproof.
Lyle calculates it based on the amount of weight you need to lose, and
your current weight and body composition, as well as gender.

100 to 120 grams of protein per day is about it for me, the rest is all
"negative calorie" type foods. High fiber, low starch/sugar. I've been
low carbing long enough now, I pretty much know what to avoid. <G>
I also know what my body responds to.

> The database is a good, useful approximation.
>
> > What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?

> You use yield factors for things like that. Professional culinary texts
> will often carry that kind of info.
>
> Here's a quick chart for bone-in Chicken:
> % usable meat/finished portion ounces from 1 pound cooked
> Whole Body 52-54%/8.5
> Parts Breast 62-64%/10.0
> Hindquarter 48-50%/8.0 (leg and thigh)
> Drumstick 46-48%/7.5
> Thigh 52-54%/8.5
> Wing 42-45%/7.0

Perfect! :-)

> These are "reasonable" values for average chickens.
>
> > I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> > bone weight?

> Depends on the age of the critter when it was killed, although a
> reasonably normal yield ratio is 46% to 48% of cooked weight, depending
> on degree of doneness. The more cooked, the less weight. Less fat, less
> moisture. The cook range for the percentages is 160° to 180°. I can't
> recommend the higher temperature finish. Dry chicken.

The grill I'm using does not have temp. regulation. All I can do is
regulate the time. I cook it until the meat is just done, slightly pink
at the bone. Experimentation has shown me that if I load it up with
drumsticks (arranged well, it holds 12 pieces to the 4 lb. bag) 20
minutes is perfect.

For wings, Frozen, full grill, 12 minutes. Thawed, 8 minutes. The
Hamilton is a large grill and I CLOSE the top so both sides cook at the
same time.

It ain't dry. ;-) But thanks!

> > I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> > I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.

> Nah. Weigh the cooked whatever before you eat and then weigh the sad,

Thought about that. <G> I remove the gristly ends for the dogs tho', so
I need to weigh the bones prior to doing that.

> depleted and savaged carcass afterward. Those poor, innocent, pillaged,
> gnawed bones.

Yummy!

> Subtract the weight of the formerly living, breathing
> flesh from the now-murdered, plundered bones. Voila. The difference
> ("delta" to an engineer or mathematician) is the weight of what you
> actually consumed.

Dead bird. It's a good thing!

> Or you can eat it, weighing yourself before and after.

ROFL!!!

> No, seriously...
>
> Pastorio

Thanks dear! <smooch>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
:

> Be sure to get a hemoglobin A1C

Please explain!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
> :
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-

:

> >> Please explain!
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over the
> > past 90 days.
> >
> > A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
> > developing type II Diabetes.
> >
> > My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :-)

> Om,
>
> So I ask a for cholesterol/triglyceride/hemoglobin A1C bloodwork exam? Is
> there any redundancy in this bloodwork?
>
> Andy

No....... ;-)

Fasting Glucose is rendered obsolete by the HA1C is all. It's a common
request since the blood lipid profile (Cholesterol, Triglycerides, HDL
Cholesterol and LDL) is usually done fasting.

However, it can't hurt, A1C is a separate test from the common blood
profiles.

The Comprehensive profile we run does NOT include lipids, which you
need, but does test liver and kidney function, along with electrolytes.

Discuss the options with your doctor for the profiles your local lab
runs. Most are regulated somewhat by medicare compensation standards.
Even your health insurance tends to be influenced by that.

And never, NEVER be afraid to ask your doctor for what you want! You'd
be well advised to do some googling, but cross reference cross reference
cross reference!!! A LOT of stuff on the 'net is crap! But you already
know that.

Hope this helps? :-)

Dr. R. usually orders:

Comprehensive profile
Lipid profile
CBC (complete blood count)
ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)
T4, TSH, T3 uptake (thyroid function tests)
HA1C

That's reasonably thorough....

Just make sure your insurance will cover it all!!!!!!!!!

I have a thyroid problem, so I also get a Total T3 and free T3.

Most of her male patients I've seen come thru also get Testosterone
levels depending on their age.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
:

> Just make sure your insurance will cover it all!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had med insurance in decades. Medical has always been a tax
deduction.

Probably a biggest mistake!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> cooked?

Raw.

> What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?

I've never done that. When on my diet in 2004, the only chicken I had
was chicken breast (fillet, no skin).

> I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> bone weight?
>
> I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.
>
> But the first question still remains!
>
> Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
people there can help you, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> cooked?

Don't we have an actual registered dietitian on this newsgroup? I forgot
her name... is she lurking?? She'd be the expert here.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

on line.......

> OTOH, if you were to take the average medical insurance cost per month,
> place it with a Raymond James broker and have it put into Mutual funds,
> you may come out ahead.
>
> I have insurance thru the hospital I work for. Most premiums are
> prohibitive, mine is only about $60.00 per month. Yours would most
> likely be around $300.00 and have an assinine deductibe. :-(
>
> An investment with interest and only carry catastrophic insurance could
> save you a bundle??????
> --
> Peace, Om.

geez, you guys are likely. Our medical insurance rates increased from
$175-per-month in 2005 to $700-per-month January 2006.
And the coverage is much less -- way less! $525 extra out of a retiree's
paycheck per month.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jake > wrote:

> PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
> one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
> people there can help you, too.

I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> on line.......
> >
> > OTOH, if you were to take the average medical insurance cost per month,
> > place it with a Raymond James broker and have it put into Mutual funds,
> > you may come out ahead.
> >
> > I have insurance thru the hospital I work for. Most premiums are
> > prohibitive, mine is only about $60.00 per month. Yours would most
> > likely be around $300.00 and have an assinine deductibe. :-(
> >
> > An investment with interest and only carry catastrophic insurance could
> > save you a bundle??????
> > --
> > Peace, Om.
> >

> geez, you guys are likely. Our medical insurance rates increased from
> $175-per-month in 2005 to $700-per-month January 2006.
> And the coverage is much less -- way less! $525 extra out of a retiree's
> paycheck per month.
> Dee Dee

I'm lucky. My Health insurance is part of my benefits package where I
work at the hospital. :-) They deduct $30.00 from my paycheck twice per
month for it and the co-pays are affordable.

They used to give it to us for free, but that changed......

One of the nice things about working in a hospital and having to use
_their_ facilities, you know everybody and know which doctors to avoid.
<G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

Shoulda known you know your way around cyberspace
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jake > wrote:

> > I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

> Shoulda known you know your way around cyberspace

<lol> There are always new things to learn tho'!
So the suggestion was still appreciated.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:
> In article >,
> jake > wrote:

> > PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
> > one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
> > people there can help you, too.

> I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

I used to do a.s.d -- there are some really nice folks there, but
naturally, the suject matter draws trolls...

--
JJ (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My temp was 97.8. But there is a stretch of tolerance that
> above or below 98.6 is acceptable.

Andy, I find the ear temperature readings are too sporadic.
But the one that you rub across your forehead -- I've had for over a year or
so and it seems darned accurate.

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...t_adv_XSGT1625

Take your temperature a lot to decide what your "NORMAL" temperature is.
(Mine is 97.6.) When I feel puny and take my temperature and I find it to be
around 99.6; actually a 2º temp, but probably not much to a doctor who
considers 98.8 (is it 98.6 or 98.8) a normal temperature.

Hope you feel better soon-est!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> Andy, I find the ear temperature readings are too sporadic.
> But the one that you rub across your forehead -- I've had for over a
> year or so and it seems darned accurate.

Dee Dee,

They used the "safeguard sheathed" (?) under the tongue digital temp
thermometer. Took about 20 seconds.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(JJ - RFC) wrote:

:

:

> > > You need to fast for 10-12 hours beforehand, for it to be accurate.
> > > Just FYI...

> > Hemoglobin A1C?
> >
> > No... it does not have to be fasting.
> >
> > Cholesterol and stuff tho', yes.
> >
> > 8 to 12 hours, water only.

> I checked with WebMD and JHU and the first says to fast, the second
> says you don't have to. I suspect you and JHU are correct...

Well, see, A1C is a whole blood test. It tests the Glycosylated
Hemoglobin. The glucose contained in the red blood cells more or less.

RBC's live for 3 months. It gives your doctor an idea of what your
AVERAGE blood glucose has been over the past 90 days.

I suppose if you fasted for 3 months, it might have an effect, but not
an 8 to 12 hour fast. <G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
> >> :

:

> >> Om,
> >>
> >> Thank you. I will ask for that test!!!
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Cheers!
> > And keeping fingers crossed that all is well......
> >
> > I have to go for the "Annual Indignity" next month. :-P
> > I know guys have their version of that too. <lol>

> I went to the doctor this morning but I couldn't fast as I'm still head-
> cold sick. I mentioned the Bemoglobin A1C test and she added it to the
> bloodwork. My temp was 97.8. But there is a stretch of tolerance that
> above or below 98.6 is acceptable.
>
> I'll have to wait for Monday, or Tuesday to fast, depending on my cold.
>
> At least I know my goal to reach is 200-205 lbs., according to the BMI
> chart in her office.
>
> I weighed in on their scale at 243 pounds. I'll bet that has something to
> do with my dehydration, even though I drink about a half-gallon of water
> and two chicken soups a day. Before I stood on the scale I claimed "247"
> pounds. So 243 is more dehydration but I keep the liquids going down.
> Maybe it's the 300 ft. altitude drop from my house into town?
>
> Andy
> 270/243 (was 250 last week)/200-205
>
> P.S. Maddening when your nose just doesn't stop. In the Doc's office I
> asked for the tissue box on her desk during the pre-consultation weign-
> in/B/P and temp. testing. After the doc consultation, she said take it
> with you. No doubt because I had covered it with my share of germs. --A

A cold can make you lose weight. :-)

I carry a big ol' bandanna hanky when I have that sort of thing going!

Hope you feel better soon.....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
>>>one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
>>>people there can help you, too.

>>I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

> I used to do a.s.d -- there are some really nice folks there, but
> naturally, the suject matter draws trolls...

I agree on both counts. But I found the trolles easy to ignore. The
group was helpful to me in staying encouraged and for learning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
> :
>
> > I carry a big ol' bandanna hanky when I have that sort of thing going!

> Om,
>
> Me too, but I changed from flannel lined jeans to plain jeans (for the
> weigh in) and didn't grab a bandanna in the rush. Also forgot my wallet.
>
> Doc did recomment an nose spray medicine. I went to CVS pharmacy and
> asked the pharmacist how to stop a non-stop running nose. She picked out
> a box of cvs Allergy Relief Antihistamine (clemastine fumarate) 12-hour
> relief and no danger mixed with my blood pressure med.
>
> * Runny Nose
> * Sneezing
> * Itchy, watery eyes
> * Itchy throat
>
> I took one about an hour ago and I haven't had blown my nose or rubbed my
> itchy eyes or sneezed.
>
> My doc did want to give me antibiotics straight away because I described
> that I had developed post-nasal drip (down the throat) and would wake up
> and cough up clear flem. I declined, since it wasn't a respiratory issue.
> I got my flu shot in November.
>
> It was a good visit. I just wish she wasn't so quick to suggest
> antibiotics.

It's a liabilty issue. :-)

> My B/P was 128/87 and pulse was 80.

Not too bad, B/P is getting on the upper end of normal tho'.
Looks like mine when I eat too much salt. <G>
When I behave, it drops down to about 110/70.

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(JJ - RFC) wrote:

:

:

> > > Hemoglobin A1C?
> > >
> > > No... it does not have to be fasting.
> > >
> > > Cholesterol and stuff tho', yes.
> > >
> > > 8 to 12 hours, water only.

> > I checked with WebMD and JHU and the first says to fast, the second
> > says you don't have to. I suspect you and JHU are correct...

> Well, see, A1C is a whole blood test. It tests the Glycosylated
> Hemoglobin. The glucose contained in the red blood cells more or less.
>
> RBC's live for 3 months. It gives your doctor an idea of what your
> AVERAGE blood glucose has been over the past 90 days.

You are correct, ma'am:

http://www.diabetesaction.org/z1125.html

> I suppose if you fasted for 3 months, it might have an effect, but not
> an 8 to 12 hour fast. <G>

Okay, I figured it out -- I checked my past lab work and it includes
the fasting blood glucose test (my last one was 127). Now I get it.
Gosh, I'm being blonde today, thanks for the info... :-)

--
JJ (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(JJ - RFC) wrote:

> > Well, see, A1C is a whole blood test. It tests the Glycosylated
> > Hemoglobin. The glucose contained in the red blood cells more or less.
> >
> > RBC's live for 3 months. It gives your doctor an idea of what your
> > AVERAGE blood glucose has been over the past 90 days.

> You are correct, ma'am:

http://www.diabetesaction.org/z1125.html

> > I suppose if you fasted for 3 months, it might have an effect, but not
> > an 8 to 12 hour fast. <G>

> Okay, I figured it out -- I checked my past lab work and it includes
> the fasting blood glucose test (my last one was 127). Now I get it.
> Gosh, I'm being blonde today, thanks for the info... :-)
>

> --
> JJ

<lol> Yes, you have to fast for a fasting blood glucose level...

127 is just a bit high!
Are you being treated for type II diabetes?
--
Peace, Om.

portion control T[_8_] Diabetic 1 04-05-2016 12:25 PM
Speaking of portion control... Mark[_26_] General Cooking 0 28-09-2010 06:03 PM
Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder amandaF General Cooking 177 09-03-2009 08:33 PM
Portion control - corn tortilla chips Nick Cramer Diabetic 14 04-08-2008 09:47 PM
Portion Control Pays Off in Weight Loss None Given Diabetic 3 31-10-2004 05:48 PM