Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default speaking of whisky, i. e. Scotch

Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
(can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
to actually do it.

Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
> 2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
> are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
> cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
> the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
> (can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
> and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
> sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
> that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
> so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
> is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
> to actually do it.
>
> Kate

I don't know how anyone could come up with a "diet" Scotch - given that
almost all the calories are from alchohol. Besides reducing the proof,
that is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Seamus" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Kate Connally wrote:
>> Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
>> 2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
>> are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
>> cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
>> the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
>> (can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
>> and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
>> sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
>> that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
>> so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
>> is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
>> to actually do it.
>>
>> Kate

> I don't know how anyone could come up with a "diet" Scotch - given that
> almost all the calories are from alchohol. Besides reducing the proof,
> that is.

It was a JOKE fer crying out loud.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in news:gFKIf.29030$%84.527
@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

> "Seamus" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Kate Connally wrote:
>>> Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
>>> 2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
>>> are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
>>> cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
>>> the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
>>> (can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
>>> and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
>>> sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
>>> that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
>>> so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
>>> is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
>>> to actually do it.
>>>
>>> Kate

>> I don't know how anyone could come up with a "diet" Scotch - given

that
>> almost all the calories are from alchohol. Besides reducing the proof,
>> that is.
>>

> It was a JOKE fer crying out loud.

Right, a tongue in cheek way of not saying "it's the cheap stuff."

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
> 2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
> are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
> cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
> the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
> (can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
> and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
> sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
> that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
> so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
> is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
> to actually do it.
>
> Kate

===========

YES!! What a riot! That was the first episode of B.L. that I've watched.
So far, I like it.

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:22:46 -0500, Kate Connally >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
>2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
>are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
>cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
>the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
>(can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
>and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
>sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
>that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
>so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
>is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
>to actually do it.

That was hilarious. The DH and I are huge rans of BL - we're both in
law (lawyer and litigation paralegal, in that order) and BL actually
portrays a law firm the way they actually work, albeit tongue in
cheek. That episode's showing of Betty White as the Sandwich Lady
(thereby being OB) telling a first year associate where, exactly, in a
legal food chain he was (at the bottom of it, behind the Xerox
repairman and the receptionist), was spot on.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:22:46 -0500, Kate Connally >
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
> >Did anyone see the an episode of Boston Legal a week or
> >2 ago where James Spader's and William Shatner's characters
> >are having their traditional end of episode drinks and
> >cigars on the balcony and James Spader takes a sip of
> >the drink Shatner gave him and makes a face or says something
> >(can't remember exactly) to indicate it's not very good
> >and Shatner says, "Diet Scotch". If I had just taken a
> >sip of scotch I would have sprayed it everywhere. I thought
> >that was hilarious. I still think of it and chuckle every
> >so often. What a concept. I don't suppose there really
> >is such a thing, is there? I wouldn't put it past someone
> >to actually do it.

> That was hilarious. The DH and I are huge rans of BL - we're both in
> law (lawyer and litigation paralegal, in that order) and BL actually
> portrays a law firm the way they actually work, albeit tongue in
> cheek. That episode's showing of Betty White as the Sandwich Lady
> (thereby being OB) telling a first year associate where, exactly, in a
> legal food chain he was (at the bottom of it, behind the Xerox
> repairman and the receptionist), was spot on.

That's good to know. But I love it in any case. I keep
reading stupid things in TV Guide (well, mostly back when
the show started) about James Spader's character being
"creepy". I don't find him creepy at all. I find him
outrageous, sweet, and sad. And Wm. Shatner is a hoot.
I know he has always been rather over-the-top as an
actor but now he's sort of parodying himself in a way.
This show is so much fun. Betty White's character is
totally outrageous.

Kate