Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peanut sauce/peanut salad dressing

I am looking for peanut sauce and peanut salad dressing recipes. Any
ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I am looking for peanut sauce and peanut salad dressing recipes. Any
> ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.
>
> Alan

I love this recipe and the sauce is wonderful- You can pick out the
directions and ingredients for the peanut sauce alone, but I figured
tossing in the chicken sticks part too might appeal to someone?
Goomba

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Sticks with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Poultry

1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 pounds boned and skinned chicken breast halves -- cut
in 1" cubes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch ground cinnamon
1/4 cup boiling water

Combine all of the first 9 ingredients for marinade. Add chicken and mix
well. Cover and marinate in icebox for 2 hours.

Prepare the peanut sauce: Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet over
low heat. Add onion and garlic, cook, stiring til wilted-about 5 min.
Add curry powder and tabasco, cook 2-3 min to mellow flavors. Stir in
cream and water, then stir in the peanut butter, lemon juice, brown
sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low.
Simmer gently until the sauce thickens, about 5 min. Place in food
processor and process til smooth, adding the boiling water slowly
through the feed tube to bind the sauce. Scrape the sauce into a bowl
and reserve.

Thread the chicken evenly on 6 skewers. Grill over hot coals, 3 inches
from heat for 5 min per side. Serve with peanut sauce.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan,
I'm not sure if your heart is set on making this from scratch, as
opposed to buying it pre-made. But I'm a big fan of my local Asian
markets here in Boston, and I recently purchased a bottle of peanut
sauce/dressing which makes for a great beef marinade. Just a thought.
-Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dear Jen: Thanks for the tip. I often travel to Boston to visit a
friend. Would love to know of any good Asian markets in the area where
I can pick up ingredients, such as fried tofu and various sauces. Do
you shop in Chinatown or elsewhere? Your suggestions would be
welcomed! Thanks. Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:17:55 -0500, George >
> wrote:
>

>>I have a question on the tamarind. Do you process some from a block of
>>"wet tamarind" (those ~ 1 lb plastic bags of tamarind) or is it
>>something else?

> I simmer peeled tamarind pods for 20 minutes and let rest for
> another 30. Drain, peel anything left over that you couldn't get
> off before, de-vein, and press through a fine mesh strainer. I do
> about 20 pods at a time and freeze most of it in ice cube trays,
> then transfer to plastic bags. It's not as concentrated as the
> blocks.
>
> The seed are really cool looking. Anybody into crafts could
> probably find something interesting to do with them.

Never saw the seeds. Those blocks are always seedless.

> I saw a Malaysian dish recently that used tamarind skins for
> flavoring, and inquired about it but didn't get an answer. Anybody
> know why/how to use tamarind pod skins - what flavor they impart?
> I always discard them. They smell like dirt.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2006 18:00:41 -0800, "Jennyanniedots"
> > wrote:
>

>>Alan,
>>I'm not sure if your heart is set on making this from scratch, as
>>opposed to buying it pre-made.

> What a strange comment. Peanut sauces are easy to make. This is,
> after all, a cooking group.
>
> -sw

Same thoughts here. The jarred sauce won't taste anywhere as good as a
homemade peanut sauce and as you said it is such an easy sauce to make.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Alan,
I live in Quincy (Just south of Boston on I-93), which is referred to
as "Chinatown South" here in Boston. There's a massive Asian mall
called the Kam Man Market here in Quincy, and if you can get there it's
worth a trip. Besides the Asian supermarket that anchors it, there are
various little department store type spots in there that sell various
kinds of cookware, tableware, art, etc.

In the Boston area, there are a couple of places I like. In Chinatown
proper is a supermarket called C-Mart (and I like this one bakery
called Bao Bao), and there's a chain called Super 88 which are kind of
scattered around town. I don't know of anything in Charlestown, since I
don't shop much in that area.

-Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeez Steve....way to squash a girl's spirit. It was only a suggestion
for the marinating, as it has some acid in it.

-Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Feb 2006 14:03:05 -0800, Jennyanniedots wrote:

> Jeez Steve....way to squash a girl's spirit. It was only a suggestion
> for the marinating, as it has some acid in it.

Do you know how to quote text? Toggle: Show Options... then reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2006 18:00:41 -0800, "Jennyanniedots"
> > wrote:
>

>>Alan,
>>I'm not sure if your heart is set on making this from scratch, as
>>opposed to buying it pre-made.

> What a strange comment. Peanut sauces are easy to make. This is,
> after all, a cooking group.
>
> -sw

There may be confusion about premade peanut sauce vs premade soy sauce?