Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Local Snack/Street Food

I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
it's just made.

I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:

> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
sauce and mustard. Yum.
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:
> dee wrote:
>

> > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.
> >

> Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
> Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
> pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
> walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
> charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
> sauce and mustard. Yum.
> --
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Sounds very nice especially in cold weather!

Charcoal, there is this chestnuts being roasted in a wok of hot coal (a
full wok of tiny pieces of coal) - they usually have this mobile thing
that the wok can hang on the gas fire. Very nice in winter.

Something that might be consider as snack for me when I was in UK -
freshly made crossiant or bagels (I understand neither were from UK
originally, but very nice)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> cathyxyz > hitched up their panties and posted
> news >
> > dee wrote:
> >

> >> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> >> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.
> >>

> > Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
> > Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
> > pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
> > walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
> > charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
> > sauce and mustard. Yum.

> Is this a German thing? I used to get brats from a vendor outside of
> Barnes Hospital when I worked there. They were delicious.

This is a South African thing and most South Africans love it.... we
have a lot of Dutch/German/Portuguese - you name it - influence
here.... We get a lot of Indian food too. Durban (one of the port
cities) has a huge Indian population and they have introduced all sorts
of great food as well. Not to mention all the real African foods... One
of the staples is maize meal - its made into porridge (pap) of various
consistencies... sometimes it is made into something that could be
similar to "grits"... Pap is eaten with various meat stews, sauces,
chilis (sp?) and vegetables....

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Feb 2006 01:40:35 -0800, "dee" > wrote:

>I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
>wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
>balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
>it's just made.
>
>I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
>and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

When I'm in Manhattan, I might succumb to the hot sugared nuts
(cashews, peanuts, etc.). There is a lot of other delicious-looking
food (chestnuts, sausages, hot dogs, etc.) but I generally don't get
anything.

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
> balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
> it's just made.
>
> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

We don't have street food here in detroit that I know of, but my
favorite local treat is a coney dog with a piece of baklava afterwards
from one of the many 'greek coneys' here.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "cathyxyz" > hitched up their panties and
> posted ups.com:
> >> I wrote

> >> Is this a German thing? I used to get brats from a vendor outside of
> >> Barnes Hospital when I worked there. They were delicious.

> > This is a South African thing and most South Africans love it.... we
> > have a lot of Dutch/German/Portuguese - you name it - influence
> > here.... We get a lot of Indian food too. Durban (one of the port
> > cities) has a huge Indian population and they have introduced all
> > sorts of great food as well. Not to mention all the real African
> > foods... One of the staples is maize meal - its made into porridge
> > (pap) of various consistencies... sometimes it is made into something
> > that could be similar to "grits"... Pap is eaten with various meat
> > stews, sauces, chilis (sp?) and vegetables....
> >
> > Cheers
> > Cathy(xyz)

> I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your post but
> I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?
>
> Michael
>

> --
> "It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun."
> _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Tried the yum and fufu before, they make a fulfilling meal.

Grilled Plantain (spelling?) eaten with roasted peanuts, some students
were very kind to offer this to me when I went there on holiday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your post but
> I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?
>
> Michael

Try this:

Pap and Cheese Bake

1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
5 ml salt
300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)
30-50 ml butter
200 gram cheddar cheese (500 ml)
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 ml black pepper
5 ml dried or 15 ml chopped fresh origanum
15 ml grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
250 ml milk
3 ml salt or seasoning salt

Bring the water and salt to the boil. Add the mealie meal mixing well.
Cover with the lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done. Stir in the
butter and half the cheese. Using a wooden spoon, press half the hot
pap into a greased 20 cm X 20 cm ovenproof dish. Arrange half the
tomato slices on top and season with pepper and origanum. Cover with
the remaining pap and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar
cheese and the parmesan over. Beat the eggs, milk and salt together and
pour over the pap.
Bake at 180șC for 80 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Arrange
the remaining tomato slices on top 20 minutes before baking time
expires. Serve hot.

Hope you like it!

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:

> I'm gonna like it. I can tell buy the recipe. What is the fresh origanum
> ingredient? I'm not familiar with it.

Oregano? ( I think that might be more familiar?) we get it fresh and
dried. Very nice.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

dee wrote:
> [snip]
> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

It's great how different they are from city to city, country to
country. I always try to sample, wherever I am (even NYC!). If I had
to pick a favorite I think it would be the fish tacos at the pier in
Ensenada, Baja California or the ceviche tostadas. But it's a long
worldwide list to choose from. Here in L.A. it's a taco plate (al
pastor) from a particular taco truck that sets up in a parking lot
about two miles up the road from here. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
> balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
> it's just made.
>
> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

Street food:
Chips hot from the chip wagon or maybe a real poutine.

An old favourite, but I don't live there now, was a shwarma from the
street vendors in Dammam or Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia.

The Kingston and Ottawa shwarmas are good but just not the same as
those in Al Khobar.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:

> Pap and Cheese Bake

<snip>

This sounds good. have you had polenta? That;s what it reminds me of,
except that I would proababy let the hot polenta cool into the shape of
my loaf pan first, then slice it and layer it with the tomatoes and
cheese. But it sounds like a similar concept. Could I use regular,
coarse cornmeal or polenta grind for this dish?
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "dee" > hitched up their panties and posted
> oups.com:
>
> > I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> > wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is
> > egg balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when
> > eaten when it's just made.
> >
> > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well.
> > Thanks.
> >

> Here in St. Louis I like the toasted ravioli. We have some festivals
> every year and during the fests I like stew from Dressels Pub. The
> curried chicken salad from Koopermans is served on mini rolls and I
> like that too. I don't think we have a lot of street food here
> unless an event is going on. I might be wrong about this and
> hopefully Brian can bring some St. Louis ideas into the
> conversation. I find a lot of fast food here but very little street
> food.

You're basically right, there just isn't a lot of that. Near the
football stadium, they grill bratwurst and hotdogs on gameday.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee > wrote:

> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

Bratwurst served a split Brötchen (roll) and slathered with mustard is
the street food I like the most.

Otherwise, Currywurst (Bratwurst or, occasionally, Bockwurst, sliced and
served with curry-powder-laced ketchup) is enormously popular here.
Just as popular are Pommes rot-weiß (chips/French fries with ketchup and
mayo). However, the most popular street food here is probably the
Turkish döner kebap.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> cathyxyz wrote:
>
>> Pap and Cheese Bake
>>

> <snip>
>
> This sounds good. have you had polenta? That;s what it reminds me of,
> except that I would proababy let the hot polenta cool into the shape of
> my loaf pan first, then slice it and layer it with the tomatoes and
> cheese. But it sounds like a similar concept. Could I use regular,
> coarse cornmeal or polenta grind for this dish?
> Thanks!

No, I haven't tried polenta as such, but I would say that you could use
it - judging by what I have heard about polenta, it sounds very similar
to our pap. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it?

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Feb 2006 01:40:35 -0800, "dee" > wrote:

>I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
>wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
>balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
>it's just made.
>
>I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
>and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

I wish there were such things in Cow Hill. Back when I lived in
Pittsburgh, I often enjoyed the street food in the Strip district.
Satay from the Asian guy, to be sure, but mostly Italian stuff.

Ahh, sfogliatelle! Heaven!

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms. tonya wrote:
> (dee)WROTE:
> I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
> balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
> it's just made.
> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food and
> the like from where you live? May include photo as well.
> Thanks.--------------------------------------------
> Metro Detroit Response: Only time I see sidewalk vendors in downtown
> Detroit area is during pro sports games & our Fireworks Freedom Festive
> held on the Detroit River.
>
> Here in the suburbs only during special events but the prices are so
> high on the simple foods they sell that most people including myself eat
> @ home beforehand than pay $5.00 for a Thorn Apple hot dog.
>
> Few years back a chap had the idea to peddle coney islands like they do
> in New York in a city that has coney island restaurants in every
> direction you turn.
>
> People here didn't take to this concept plus a few restaurant owners
> what I understand told him to pack up and go east or else.
> That was the last time I've seen a food pebblier here,even Lowes rented
> space outside their lobby for a hot dog vendor and local restaurant
> business growled loud enough he was gone within a month.
> Too bad because his coneys were pretty good.

That must be the similar in all developed areas. Those vendors are
only out at night and near residential areas/ or dotted around the
street.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
> balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
> it's just made.
>
> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

Dirty water hot dogs-NYC

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom" > wrote in message
> On 13 Feb 2006 01:40:35 -0800, "dee" > wrote:
>
> >I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> >wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
> >balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
> >it's just made.
> >
> >I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> >and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

> I wish there were such things in Cow Hill. Back when I lived in
> Pittsburgh, I often enjoyed the street food in the Strip district.
> Satay from the Asian guy, to be sure, but mostly Italian stuff.
>
> Ahh, sfogliatelle! Heaven!
>
> modom

ooh, the mung bean pancake from the Asian lady!!! And the guy on the South
Side next to Nick's Fat City who sells the seafood dumplings.....nothing
like it at 2 a.m.

I LOVE this thread!!!!!!!!! Robin in Pittsburgh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>

>>I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your post but
>>I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?
>>
>>Michael
>>

> Try this:
>
> Pap and Cheese Bake
>
> 1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
> 5 ml salt
> 300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)

How finely ground is this? More like corn starch? Or polenta? Or
regular wheat flour? I'd like to try this recipe, and would be albe to
dind any one of those three ingredient,s but probably nothing called mealie.

> 30-50 ml butter
> 200 gram cheddar cheese (500 ml)
> 2 tomatoes, sliced
> 1 ml black pepper
> 5 ml dried or 15 ml chopped fresh origanum
> 15 ml grated parmesan cheese
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 250 ml milk
> 3 ml salt or seasoning salt
>
> Bring the water and salt to the boil. Add the mealie meal mixing well.
> Cover with the lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done. Stir in the
> butter and half the cheese. Using a wooden spoon, press half the hot
> pap into a greased 20 cm X 20 cm ovenproof dish. Arrange half the
> tomato slices on top and season with pepper and origanum. Cover with
> the remaining pap and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar
> cheese and the parmesan over. Beat the eggs, milk and salt together and
> pour over the pap.
> Bake at 180șC for 80 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Arrange
> the remaining tomato slices on top 20 minutes before baking time
> expires. Serve hot.
>
> Hope you like it!
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

>> Pap and Cheese Bake
>>
>> 1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
>> 5 ml salt
>> 300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)

> How finely ground is this? More like corn starch? Or polenta? Or
> regular wheat flour? I'd like to try this recipe, and would be albe to
> dind any one of those three ingredient,s but probably nothing called
> mealie.

It is fairly coarsely ground..Like I said to Jude, it sounds pretty
close to polenta...

Found this on Wiki when I did a search for polenta:

Polenta is often cooked in a huge copper pot called a paiolo in
Italian.... <snip>

Interesting facts

* In South Africa, cornmeal mush is a staple food called mealie
pap; in Zimbabwe it is called sadza and in Zambia it is nshima;
elsewhere in Africa it may also be called fufu.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polenta-My italian grandmother would cook it (corn meal) to creamy,put
some on a plate,topped with slices of mozzerella and another layer of
polenta and top it all off with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese
Street food-Empanadas in New York,A hot dog guy in Mafdison,New Jersey
who is on main street evry day from 1 to 4,best Ive ever had...Anna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>>> Pap and Cheese Bake
>>>
>>> 1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
>>> 5 ml salt
>>> 300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)

>> How finely ground is this? More like corn starch? Or polenta? Or
>> regular wheat flour? I'd like to try this recipe, and would be albe to
>> dind any one of those three ingredient,s but probably nothing called
>> mealie.

> It is fairly coarsely ground..Like I said to Jude, it sounds pretty
> close to polenta...
>
> Found this on Wiki when I did a search for polenta:
>
> Polenta is often cooked in a huge copper pot called a paiolo in
> Italian.... <snip>
>

> Interesting facts
>
> * In South Africa, cornmeal mush is a staple food called mealie
> pap; in Zimbabwe it is called sadza and in Zambia it is nshima;
> elsewhere in Africa it may also be called fufu.

Really? I thought fufu was from yams or something.

And thanks for the info. once my pantry gets emptier, I'll buy some
polenta to play with.Sounds like I'll discover some new textures,
including this pap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:

> I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
> wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
> balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
> it's just made.
>
> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

French fries
Falafel in pita bread with stuff from the salad bar

That's it.

Or does Burger King's hot brownie with ice cream count?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake > wrote in
. nl:

> cathyxyz wrote:

>> Interesting facts
>>
>> * In South Africa, cornmeal mush is a staple food called
>> mealie
>> pap; in Zimbabwe it is called sadza and in Zambia it is nshima;
>> elsewhere in Africa it may also be called fufu.
>>

> Really? I thought fufu was from yams or something.
>
> And thanks for the info. once my pantry gets emptier, I'll buy some
> polenta to play with.Sounds like I'll discover some new textures,
> including this pap.

I did a bit of searching on fufu a while back, as we had consignments of
fufu flour coming through the mail - actually made by a company in the
US. From what I recall fufu could be made from cocoyam, plantain or/and
cassava. The traditional preparation was to cook the yams etc. then
pound them until they formed the fufu. This company was producing a
powdered product from the yams, plantains, cassavas that could be used
to make fufu.

I don't remember reading anything about maize being involved in fufu,
but I don't know if there might possibly be differences in different
parts of Africa.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> jake > wrote in
> . nl:
>
>> cathyxyz wrote:

>>> Interesting facts
>>>
>>> * In South Africa, cornmeal mush is a staple food called
>>> mealie
>>> pap; in Zimbabwe it is called sadza and in Zambia it is nshima;
>>> elsewhere in Africa it may also be called fufu.
>>>

>> Really? I thought fufu was from yams or something.
>>
>> And thanks for the info. once my pantry gets emptier, I'll buy some
>> polenta to play with.Sounds like I'll discover some new textures,
>> including this pap.
>>

> I did a bit of searching on fufu a while back, as we had consignments of
> fufu flour coming through the mail - actually made by a company in the
> US. From what I recall fufu could be made from cocoyam, plantain or/and
> cassava. The traditional preparation was to cook the yams etc. then
> pound them until they formed the fufu. This company was producing a
> powdered product from the yams, plantains, cassavas that could be used
> to make fufu.
>
> I don't remember reading anything about maize being involved in fufu,
> but I don't know if there might possibly be differences in different
> parts of Africa.

Dunno much about fufu either, Rhonda, but the pap (mielie meal) we get
here just has maize in it... Mielie is just a local word for maize.. We
also cook them on the cob - then they call them "green mielies"! All
these names and terms for food around the world can be fascinating, but
can be a bit confusing too!
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> jake > wrote in
> . nl:
>

>>cathyxyz wrote:

>>>Interesting facts
>>>
>>> * In South Africa, cornmeal mush is a staple food called
>>> mealie
>>>pap; in Zimbabwe it is called sadza and in Zambia it is nshima;
>>>elsewhere in Africa it may also be called fufu.
>>>

>>Really? I thought fufu was from yams or something.
>>
>>And thanks for the info. once my pantry gets emptier, I'll buy some
>>polenta to play with.Sounds like I'll discover some new textures,
>>including this pap.
>>

> I did a bit of searching on fufu a while back, as we had consignments of
> fufu flour coming through the mail - actually made by a company in the
> US. From what I recall fufu could be made from cocoyam, plantain or/and
> cassava. The traditional preparation was to cook the yams etc. then
> pound them until they formed the fufu. This company was producing a
> powdered product from the yams, plantains, cassavas that could be used
> to make fufu.

Not an easy subject, then. True fufu is probably something like a true
martini. Or chili. Or curry.