Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Japanese Pancakes with flying fish flakes

Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
thinly. Much thinner than paper.

The pancake took around 20 minutes to cook. It was done on a low heat,
so that the batter outside wouldn't overcook while the filling was
cooking (cabbage, cheese, pickled ginger, mushrooms, fresh chilies,
green onions, in my case). It was cooked on both sides and then a layer
of a thick brown sauce and mayo were added. Apparently, what make s
Japanese pancakes special is the mountain potatoes in the batter. The
cook said there is no substitute, so they fly them in especially for
these pancakes.

I found a video of dancing fish flakes he
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=fish+flakes