Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Menu Planning

How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
very difficult.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:

> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't happen
> unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit down and do
> a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a few pounds so I
> figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and veggetables even
> though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on fish for protein.
> Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be very difficult.

I tried, but found that I just couldn't adhere to the plan, and the
groceries I bought for those planned meals went to waste. Now I just do as
many Europeans do, and go shopping on my way home from work every day,
picking up whatever looks best to me for that day. And I *especially* never
shop for seafood in advance.

Really, though, coming up with menus is mostly a matter of practice. I used
to have difficulties with it, but now it's fairly commonplace. Plenty of
cookbooks give you entire suggested menus with their recipes. I can
recommend "20-Minute Menus" by Marian Burros; that book gives you a shopping
list, recipes, and "game plan" for cooking an entire meal, and the recipes
aren't bad either.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

L'Espérance wrote:
> How many do this in advance? [snip]

Not me. People with busy daily schedules need to plan their shopping
and therefore their meals. People with medical/dietary requirements
need to plan their meals. Neither of these applies here, so we eat
what looks good that day or the day before at the market, or what
someone voices a craving for. Or what I can create out of leftovers or
from our garden. Very enjoyable, really.

I'm expecting that soon we'll find asparagus for reasonable prices.
That always sets off a round of good eats, as we have several favorite
things to do with it. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
L'Espérance wrote:
> How many do this in advance? [snip]

I make a menu and shopping list for the week on Monday evening. I shop on
Tuesdays. I have to do this or we end up paying way too much every week for
groceries. I would come in at night and then have to run out to the store.
I almost always bought stuff that was way too expensive, or was a duplicate
of what I already had and wasn't aware of.
This doesn't mean we're not flexible. If we get invited out to eat (we try
to eat out only once a week, but our friends go out almost everynight) I'll
still fix at least the main part of the meal when I come home. I can either
freeze it or have it for lunches. I also will go "off" my shopping list if
something doesn't look good at the market or if there is a particularly good
sale on something. Say I want green beans, but the asparagus is great.
That's what goes into the cart.
Hubby and I own a sign business, so a routine is essential to keep us sane!
My budget and my mental health is saved this way!

Lisa aka Pagemaster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:

> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
> fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
> very difficult.

I can plan ahead for one or two meals, but that's it. We don't tend to
eat meals as much as just graze for food, but I'm trying to have
healthier options ready in the fridge. I have to hide any fresh
vegetables in the house on trash day or they mysteriously disappear.
Fresh fruit is usually safe.

I've given up alcohol until I lose the weight I gained over the
holidays. I've lost about half (I would lose a lot faster if I would
get myself to the gym) I may stop at the liquor store tonight and get a
6-pack of Tubourg beer to try it. Don't know if I'll drink one tonight
or wait another 5 pounds. Maybe go to the gym and *then* drink one as a
reward and save the rest for later. Beer in the house is safe; I'm
pretty determined. I have almost a case of premium cold beer already
and I've left it alone since Jan 1.

I tend to make pots of soup and eat them for several days. I have a
fish soup that is rather slimming; I dilute a can of chopped stewed
tomatoes with a couple cans of water. Add a chicken bouillon cube,
carrots, celery, a potato, and assorted spices. Simmer until vegs are
done, then add several frozen whitefish filets and cook until the fish
flakes apart.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:

> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
> fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
> very difficult.

I couldn't do it for a week in advance, but do try to do a couple of
days ahead. I have a stocked pantry and freezer, so can pull what I
need most of the time. I only shop once a week. There are only two of
us, so some recipes will yield leftovers and we don't mind that. I also
cook for my mom and even though she lives two hours away, each time we
visit, I take frozen dinners for her. A lot of our meals are one
nighters, but I use my slow cooker a lot and it's not unusual to get
three or four meals from one cooking session. That's where the freezer
comes in handy.

.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Menu planning is pretty much part of my routine and something I tend to
do on public transit when I've run out of things to read - I can be a
somewhat compulsive menu/list-maker, though not generally the most
organized person otherwise (understatement).

I stock up on meat on sale (Chicken seems to go on sale a lot...I have
a whole chicken, boneless skinless thighs and breasts, and leg quarters
in my freezer.) I plan menus around not eating the same animal multiple
days in a row, not eating the same cuisine more than once or twice in a
week, and planning some menus based on things that are either in the
freezer or canned or would keep reasonably well because I know that I
tend to plan for more food/menus than my husband and I realistically
eat in a week. There seem to be some menus that keep reapearing on my
weekly plan until whatever ingredient I was trying to use up with that
menu has turned into a science project...

Last weeks plan (trying to use up some fennel, arugula, tomatillos and
blood oranges that I bought when I went nuts at the produce store the
previous week):
Mon: Garlic chicken, roasted cauliflower, fennel and blood orange salad
Tues: Frozen pizza doctored up with arugula, peppers and pinenuts
(planning on going to swim practice which means a quick dinner when I
get back at 9:30pm)
Wednesday: Dijon chicken, kale and potato stew (from this month's
Cooking Light - I recommend it)
Thurs: Cider glazed porkchops, baked sweet potato, green vegetable
Fri: Beef stew with winter veggies, popovers or bread, raspberry gratin
Sat: Tortilla casserole with green chiles and tomatillos, sliced mangos

Actual consumption as far as I remember:
Mon: Chicken in tomato white wine sauce with peas, roasted cauliflower,
fennel and blood orange salad
Tues: skipped swim practice; I don't remember what we ate, quite likely
cereal (me) or salami sandwiches (husband)
Wednesday: Doctored up pizza after making stir-fry at the group home
where I volunteer
Thursday: Cider glazed porkchops, baked sweet potato, sauteed broccoli
with garlic
Friday - I don't remember, but I don't think we ate until late
Saturday - Ate a very heavy late lunch, cereal for evening snack
Sunday - I went out for tapas with my sister, husband made fried
potatoes (setting off the smoke detector and scaring the dog, who
didn't come out of her crate for the rest of the evening. At least we
know the smoke detector works...)

So this week was planned:
Monday: Dijon chicken/kale/potato stew
Tues: Leftover beef/barley/veggie soup from freezer (easy to nuke after
swim practice)
Wed: Thai red curry chicken with winter squash, rice, cucumber salad,
mangos
Thurs - going to sister's for dinner; husband eating leftovers
Fri: Sauteed greens and beans with garlic and bacon, polenta, raspberry
gratin
Sat- going out
Sun: Beef stew with winter veggies

Actual this week:
Mon: as planned
Tues: as planned
Wed: Broiled the chicken in chunks with Spanish/North African spices,
couscous with raisins and pinenuts, cucumber/parsely/green onion in
yogurt salad
Thurs - as planned
Fri - probably as planned because I don't have any other fast ideas and
I'm going to the gym

Upcoming in the plans at some point:
French onion soup - I made a pot of beef stock last weekend and it's
sitting in the freezer just waiting for me; I bought some nice cheese
for it too, some sort of hearty salad, and an orange tart recipe that I
want to try out but probably won't actually get around to making

Hot mustard glazed salmon (from this week's NY Times), braised leeks or
radishes, some sort of starch

Lentil and pumpkin stew, good bread and olive oil

Tortilla casserole and mangos if the tomatillos and mangos haven't gone
bad yet...

Something with lamb - maybe Indian-inspired - if there's any decent
looking lamb at the grocery; there often isn't, veggie stew or curry,
probably involving eggplant and/or cauliflower and potatoes

Pasta or gnocchi with some sort of veggie sauce and beans

Something asian-ish...

Any other ideas/menus that strike my fancy or seem to take advantage of
good deals at the grocery. So far on my grocery list:
Onions
Oranges
salad greens
Leeks or radishes
Green veggies - broccoli or asparagus
Cauliflower
Eggplant
Red/yellow peppers if they look good/cheap - they were very much on
sale last week and still may be, in which case I'll probably use them
to make a pasta sauce
Zuchini (sp?)
Cucumber
Cilantro

Milk, juice, salami, soy sauce

Ok, that was probably way more than anyone wanted to read...did I
mention I tend to get carried away with my food ruminations?

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:

> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more
> on fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus
> would be very difficult.

I do it roughly a week in advance, and I do it roughly. Sometimes I get
this craving for a particular dish so it's, right, we're having steak
and kidney pie on Sunday, and I make sure I get the necessary. Other
times I just have a vague idea of several things, depending basically on
the butcher.

I always get my meat first, usually on Thursday. Earlier in the week can
be difficult because he hasn't had his deliveries or made all his
sausages and bacon and so on. I've tried getting the veggies first, and
it doesn't work. I mean, if there's no kidneys then I've just got to
make something else and maybe change the veggies, which we buy on
Friday. If you buy veggies first then you can be left with the mushrooms
intended for the steak and kidney, but the reverse situation is highly
unlikely. After all, you can always pop out during the week and get
something you suddenly need, if worst comes to worst.

As to the actual menus, what I cook on which evening depends on the
weather and how I'm feeling. At this time of year it's mostly too hot
for heavy duty cooking, so it's just a matter of will we have the
sausages or the lamb cutlets and will we have lentils or tabbouleh with
it? In the winter I make soup which we have for several meals, and
usually a casserole cooked in advance. We rarely have dessert.

I wouldn't dignify what I do with the term "planning" exactly; I suppose
my approach is more strategic than tactical.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"L'Espérance" > wrote in message
> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't happen
> unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit down and do
> a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a few pounds so I
> figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and veggetables even
> though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on fish for protein.
> Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be very difficult.

I used to do a whole month's worth in advance. I only got paid once a month
and it was the only way I could be sure of having every thing on hand at the
end of the month to feed us. It really isn't all that hard to do.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:29:40 -0500, L'Espérance >
wrote:

>How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
>being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
>happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
>down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
>few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
>veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
>fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
>very difficult.

I never plan. But I do work on limiting our carb intake. And the
only fat I use generally is olive oil, tamales not withstanding. The
South Beach idea is to avoid cabs entirely for the first two weeks,
which allows one's metabolism to shift, as it were. During that time
you should eat no fruits or sweets nor consume any alcohol. That's
phase one. After that in phase two, you can have limited fruits and
moderate amounts of whole grain carbs and wine and such. I'm reducing
all this horribly; you'd be better served by looking at the books,
particularly the recommended food lists near the front of the South
Beach diet book.

You clearly know your way around the kitchen. Just look at the stuff
they suggest and run from there.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message

> I used to do a whole month's worth in advance. I only got paid once a
> month and it was the only way I could be sure of having every thing on
> hand at the end of the month to feed us. It really isn't all that hard to
> do.
>
> Ms P

I get paid once a month also. We'd never plan ahead though. We just keep
enough stuff around to make what we want when we want it. Major shopping is
done once, but bread, fresh veggies, and the like are bought as needed. No
way do I want to decide today what I'm going to eat the second Tuesday of
the month.

We buy what looks good and when the mood hits, it comes out of the freezer
for dinner, that day or the next. Today, we didn't decide what to have for
dinner until 5:30.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"L'Espérance" > wrote in message

> I'm envious of those who can sit down and do a week's worth of menus at
> a time.

I feel sorry for anyone that plans every part of their life so rigidly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:
> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
> fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
> very difficult.

I can't, my schedule is so unpredictable. It's easier in the winter when I
have fewer things going on, but once summer hits I'm lucky if I'm home for
dinner more than twice a week. I usually shop and get the basics and the
things I'm in the mood for and try to work them together or I'll have a few
ideas of what I am wanting to make.

I just cant make menus because I just can't ever really say for sure that I
will be home certain days.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:
> L'Espérance wrote:
>
>>How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
>>being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
>>happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
>>down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
>>few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
>>veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
>>fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
>>very difficult.

> I can't, my schedule is so unpredictable. It's easier in the winter when I
> have fewer things going on, but once summer hits I'm lucky if I'm home for
> dinner more than twice a week. I usually shop and get the basics and the
> things I'm in the mood for and try to work them together or I'll have a few
> ideas of what I am wanting to make.
>
> I just cant make menus because I just can't ever really say for sure that I
> will be home certain days.

I make tentative plans for about 2 weeks at a time, depending on what I
have on hand and what is on sale. It's not set in stone, though. I work
and do most of the housework around here, so if I wasn't a little
organized about it, dinner would be bologna sandwiches all the time

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:

> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
> fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
> very difficult.

As I started reading your post I was thinking that you were talking about
daily menu planning and then when I got to the end I realized that you were
talking about weekly menu planning. I have to confess that there is none of
that around this house. I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day, or
sometimes Shredded Wheat, so I always make sure we have both on hand, along
with some homo milk and demerra sugar. I don't usually eat lunch, but I try
to make sure there is some cheese and cold cuts on hand.

I stock up on meat at my butcher shop once a month and get a lot of whatever
is on sale. I go shopping on Fridays and pick up some fresh fish for that
night and something special for Sunday dinners. Those choices will depend
on what looks good, or what is on sale.

Other than that, our menu planning is limited to what is available and what
one of us gets out of the freezer. Most times my wife will get something out
of the freezer around noon. When dinner time comes along I look to see what
she got out, what vegetables we have, what needs to be used up, and then I
decide what I am going to cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

L'Espérance wrote:
> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
> fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
> very difficult.

I do the grocery shopping and tend to use the "European" method. I take
a look at the meat counter and see what the featured items are and then
check the produce to see what looks good. Then I buy what looks good and
whatever incidental items are necessary items to prepare them. Obviously
this works best in stores that have a real meat department.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
L'Espérance wrote:

> How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more
> on
> fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would
> be
> very difficult.

As I started reading your post I was thinking that you were talking
about
daily menu planning and then when I got to the end I realized that you
were
talking about weekly menu planning. I have to confess that there is
none of
that around this house. I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day,
or
sometimes Shredded Wheat, so I always make sure we have both on hand,
along
with some homo milk and demerra sugar. I don't usually eat lunch, but I
try
to make sure there is some cheese and cold cuts on hand.

I stock up on meat at my butcher shop once a month and get a lot of
whatever
is on sale. I go shopping on Fridays and pick up some fresh fish for
that
night and something special for Sunday dinners. Those choices will
depend
on what looks good, or what is on sale.

Other than that, our menu planning is limited to what is available and
what
one of us gets out of the freezer. Most times my wife will get something
out
of the freezer around noon. When dinner time comes along I look to see
what
she got out, what vegetables we have, what needs to be used up, and then
decide what I am going to cook.

Exactly the same in our house)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...

> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>>
>> I used to do a whole month's worth in advance. I only got paid once a
>> month and it was the only way I could be sure of having every thing on
>> hand at the end of the month to feed us. It really isn't all that hard
>> to do.
>>
>> Ms P

> I get paid once a month also. We'd never plan ahead though. We just keep
> enough stuff around to make what we want when we want it. Major shopping
> is done once, but bread, fresh veggies, and the like are bought as needed.
> No way do I want to decide today what I'm going to eat the second Tuesday
> of the month.
>
> We buy what looks good and when the mood hits, it comes out of the freezer
> for dinner, that day or the next. Today, we didn't decide what to have
> for dinner until 5:30.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I didn't plan a specific day for any thing. I picked 30 meals to make
during the month and made sure I had the ingredients on hand to make them.
I didn't have the money to go shopping at every whim, it had to be done
pretty much all at once. The only exception was milk, and even then I would
buy powdered milk so in case we ran out of money at the end of the month
we'd still have some milk.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> L'Espérance wrote:
> > How many do this in advance? Menu planning is not my forte basically
> > being finally acomplished by lunch time most days. It just doesn't
> > happen unless we are have an event. I'm envious of those who can sit
> > down and do a week's worth of menus at a time. DH's trying to drop a
> > few pounds so I figure reduce the red meat, increase the fruits and
> > veggetables even though we eat a lot of those already, and rely more on
> > fish for protein. Still coming up with a week's worth of menus would be
> > very difficult.

> I do the grocery shopping and tend to use the "European" method. I take
> a look at the meat counter and see what the featured items are and then
> check the produce to see what looks good. Then I buy what looks good and
> whatever incidental items are necessary items to prepare them. Obviously
> this works best in stores that have a real meat department.

That's kinda what I do. :-)
I plan meals during the week around what I have on hand. I plan meals
based on my mood the day before and make sure the meat is thawed since I
cook meat with _every_ meal.

I buy what is on sale or affordable, or looks good.

When the mood strikes, I'll splurge (like on fresh live crab) and plan a
couple of days ahead of time for whatever fancy veggies (or not) I might
want with it.

I have some jumbo shrimp out thawing right now. I'll sautee' those in
some butter and olive oil with just a smidgin of garlic powder and lemon
pepper, then toss some chopped asparagus and sliced mushrooms into the
pan to be sautee'd separately.

I'll add the cooked shrimp back to them when they are done, then serve
that mess over some raw baby spinach leaves.

The heat will cook them slightly.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My style is to plan a rough week's menus. I like to cruise through all
my newest recipes and ideas from here, magazines (gourmet, bon appetit,
etc), freinds, and a few of my favorite cookbooks to get my gastroomic
juices flowing.

I usually come up with about half a dozen entrees that tempt my taste
buds. I also ask for input from my BF and daughter. Once i have some
main dish ideas, I think about possible sides and jot down ideas for
the dinner menus. The sides are usually rough - salad, composed salad,
grain, veggie - and then I look at what's fresh at the store.

I do not designate what day I'm going to eat each meal; in the morning
I take a look at the week's ideas and see what tickles my fancy. If
it's on the menu, perfect. I know I've got the ingredients. If nothing
sounds good, I may stop on the way home to get ingredients for
something else, or I may modify what's on the menu. But what this does
is give me ideas before I leave for work so that when I get home, I've
got direction. My tired mind desn't need to kick in, I can just relax
and cook.

Lunches and breakfatsa are done the same way. Ideas and ingredients are
purchased but not deisgnated by day.

I usually do a "big" grocery shopping every 7 to 10 days, and make
stops for fresh produce or ingredients about 2 to 3 times between big
shopping trips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I shop for food once a week. I plan my meals, but not the order I'll eat
them in. I usually cook a big, freezable meal once a week. A pasta
sauce, a soup, a stew, or a tajine. I guess curries would be great, too.
New territory to explore, for me. Should try that soon.

During the week, I defrost some things for the days when I won't have
time to cook before going to the gym. Some days are meals away from
home, but those are rare. Any days left are a joy: I get to cook
something fresh and I have time to put into cooking. I do plan those
meals as part of the weekly plan. Since I typically need fresh veg etc
for them, they tend to be cooked within the first couple of days after
the weekly run to the grocery store.

Lunch and breakfast tend to be roughly the same in style most of the
time,e usually they are sandwiches. Since they are habits, I don;t think
of shopping for them as planned shopping. Although technically, they are
planned, really.

I like it this way, Planning ahead means I won't have much waste, which
is always a risk in a one-person household. And I don't have to spend
much time shopping.

Yes, I use a list.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

> Yes, I use a list.

are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists of any kind?
--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:

> jake wrote:
>

>> Yes, I use a list.

> are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists of any kind?

I hardly ever see any esle in the store use one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake > wrote in
. nl:

> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>> jake wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, I use a list.

>> are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists

of any
>> kind?

> I hardly ever see any esle in the store use one.

If I'm following a new recipe I make a list. If I'm just
resupplying I make a list. I have a great memory, it's just short.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> jake > wrote in
> . nl:
>

>>sarah bennett wrote:

>>>are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists

> of any
>
>>>kind?

>>I hardly ever see any esle in the store use one.

> If I'm following a new recipe I make a list. If I'm just
> resupplying I make a list. I have a great memory, it's just short.
>
> Andy

I'll tell you a secret about my list: I have a general list saved on
the computer, with all the items I buy regularly or semi-regualry.
Sorted by aisle. I print it out, circle what I need when something is
used up and use it when walking around the store. It saves about 15 mins
per visit to the store, compared to the pre-printed-list-days. It also
saves me from buying things I don't need.
The list also has a section for the meals I intend to cook, just to
remind myself of what I meant be cooking in case I suddenly want to
change a meal. Then those names help me figure out what to add/take off
the list.
Food shopping has become much more relaxed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heather wrote about planning menus:

> I can't, my schedule is so unpredictable. It's easier in the winter when I
> have fewer things going on, but once summer hits I'm lucky if I'm home for
> dinner more than twice a week. I usually shop and get the basics and the
> things I'm in the mood for and try to work them together or I'll have a
> few ideas of what I am wanting to make.

Summer is unpredictable for me also, but for a different reason: What I eat
on a given summer night will most often depend on what looked best at the
farmer's market that day.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
snip
> I'll tell you a secret about my list: I have a general list saved on the
> computer, with all the items I buy regularly or semi-regualry. Sorted by
> aisle. I print it out, circle what I need when something is used up and
> use it when walking around the store. It saves about 15 mins per visit to
> the store, compared to the pre-printed-list-days. It also saves me from
> buying things I don't need.
> The list also has a section for the meals I intend to cook, just to remind
> myself of what I meant be cooking in case I suddenly want to change a
> meal. Then those names help me figure out what to add/take off the list.
> Food shopping has become much more relaxed.

Me too. I have my list arranged according to the stores where I generally
get the item. The list also has the parts numbers or sizes for furnace
filters, printer ink cartridges, vacuum cleaner bags etc. Since the list is
kept on the computer, I just add to it as needed and take away as purchased.
I just highlight in bold when I need to get something this week. Makes
everything so much easier. Particularly the purchase of herbs/spices that
are getting low and I know I have to purchase soon. I never get to the food
co-op and remember sage when it really was thyme that I needed. I've had
people come up to me and shake their computer grocery lists near mine and
say 'I've got one of those too!'
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "jake" > wrote in message
> . nl...
> snip
>
>>I'll tell you a secret about my list: I have a general list saved on the
>>computer, with all the items I buy regularly or semi-regualry. Sorted by
>>aisle. I print it out, circle what I need when something is used up and
>>use it when walking around the store. It saves about 15 mins per visit to
>>the store, compared to the pre-printed-list-days. It also saves me from
>>buying things I don't need.
>>The list also has a section for the meals I intend to cook, just to remind
>>myself of what I meant be cooking in case I suddenly want to change a
>>meal. Then those names help me figure out what to add/take off the list.
>>Food shopping has become much more relaxed.
>>

> Me too. I have my list arranged according to the stores where I generally
> get the item. The list also has the parts numbers or sizes for furnace
> filters, printer ink cartridges, vacuum cleaner bags etc. Since the list is
> kept on the computer, I just add to it as needed and take away as purchased.
> I just highlight in bold when I need to get something this week. Makes
> everything so much easier. Particularly the purchase of herbs/spices that
> are getting low and I know I have to purchase soon. I never get to the food
> co-op and remember sage when it really was thyme that I needed. I've had
> people come up to me and shake their computer grocery lists near mine and
> say 'I've got one of those too!'
> Janet

Are you saying I am normal? I thought I was obsessivey well -roganized!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...

snip
> Are you saying I am normal? I thought I was obsessivey well -roganized!

Well, heck! I didn't go overboard and say normal, I just wanted to let you
know there are a couple more of us around ;o}

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "jake" > wrote in message
> . nl...
>
> snip
>
>>Are you saying I am normal? I thought I was obsessivey well -roganized!

> Well, heck! I didn't go overboard and say normal, I just wanted to let you
> know there are a couple more of us around ;o}
>
> Janet

Ok, then I'll say it: we're normal. And clever: we save shopping time so
there is more time for playing (i.e., cooking).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

sarah bennett wrote:

> are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists of any kind?

It's a continuum, don't you think? There are people who can't get
through a day without consulting a list, let alone a grocery store.
There are others who never write anything down but have a mental list.
And there are those who only respond to immediate stimuli....

I make a list if I want to follow a particular recipe or if I need
certain things for an event, but nine out of ten times I am listless in
the store. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
but nine out of ten times I am listless in
> the store. -aem

Low blood sugar?? ;o}

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> snip
> but nine out of ten times I am listless in
> > the store. -aem
> >

> Low blood sugar?? ;o}

Good one, but no, I also practice a good rule: eat a little something
before you go grocery shopping. It reduces the number of impulse buys
because you don't have hunger pangs. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> "aem" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> snip
>> but nine out of ten times I am listless in
>> > the store. -aem
>> >

>> Low blood sugar?? ;o}

> Good one, but no, I also practice a good rule: eat a little something
> before you go grocery shopping. It reduces the number of impulse buys
> because you don't have hunger pangs. -aem

Ain't that the truth!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:40:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"L'Espérance" > wrote in message
>
>> I'm envious of those who can sit down and do a week's worth of menus at
>> a time.

>I feel sorry for anyone that plans every part of their life so rigidly.

I can see your point, but when I'm planning menus for a week or two in
advance, it's not rigid -- it's flexible, helpful for shopping, and if
the reality doesn't match the plan, nothing explodes or anything. For
us, since we are usually happy eating whatever is put before us (we
can both cook well), it just eliminates that
what-the-hell-am-I-gonna-make time of some days. And if we decide (as
we did today) to just make quiche instead, we're just as happy.

Basically, it can be a tool of rigidity, or it can just be a
labor-saver, much like a lot of things.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:28:22 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

>jake wrote:
>

>> Yes, I use a list.

>are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists of any kind?

*raises hand*

Some weeks, I plan ahead and have a list, and I like doing it that
way. Lots of times, though (we shop several days a week), we wander
through the store, get what we know we need, and whatever else strikes
our fancy. I guess knowing what we need in our heads could be seen as
having a list of some kind, but y'know.

We know, for instance, that if we don't have them already, we need
cottage cheese or eggs, bread, tomato juice, and coffee (James's
breakfast foods -- I'm not always home to cook it, and he prefers to
have the same thing every day when I'm not). Other than that, we
usually buy a vegetable for that night, a few pieces of fruit, and
whatever else looks good.

Here's what we got tonight. We went there knowing we needed onions
for the quiche.

two onions
two cara cara oranges, 39 cents a pound -- I always buy one or two of
the cheapest oranges, because I love oranges and the cheapest ones are
always so good that it seems silly to pay more
two little cartons of yogurt (cream-top Brown Cow)
a pound or so of raw cashews (lots of vegan creamy things have these
as a base, and I feel like cooking this week)
two pints of strawberries (James's favorites -- weird to have such
sweet strawberries in February)
two peaches
six chocolate truffles (my wife had requested Lindor milk chocolate --
they only had six other flavors, so we got her one of each)
two avocados -- they were 49 cents each and I couldn't resist

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:40:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >

> >I feel sorry for anyone that plans every part of their life so rigidly.

> I can see your point, but when I'm planning menus for a week or two in
> advance, it's not rigid -- it's flexible, helpful for shopping, and if
> the reality doesn't match the plan, nothing explodes or anything. For
> us, since we are usually happy eating whatever is put before us (we
> can both cook well), it just eliminates that
> what-the-hell-am-I-gonna-make time of some days. And if we decide (as
> we did today) to just make quiche instead, we're just as happy.

And for me, maybe 60% of my menus get made. The rest of the ingredients
get rearranged into other dishes, or put off til next week with
ingredients filled in when I shop next. But it gives me a starting
point, and when I come home from work tired, I can think a little
less!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Feb 2006 18:36:00 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> "aem" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> snip
>> but nine out of ten times I am listless in
>> > the store. -aem
>> >

>> Low blood sugar?? ;o}

>Good one, but no, I also practice a good rule: eat a little something
>before you go grocery shopping. It reduces the number of impulse buys
>because you don't have hunger pangs.

:-) Sometimes, when I want to be decadent, I go hungry on purpose. I get such yummy stuff that way. ;-)

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Feb 2006 23:59:07 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>serene wrote:

>And for me, maybe 60% of my menus get made. The rest of the ingredients
>get rearranged into other dishes, or put off til next week with
>ingredients filled in when I shop next. But it gives me a starting
>point, and when I come home from work tired, I can think a little
>less!!!

Right. Exactly.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> jake wrote:
>

> > Yes, I use a list.

> are there really people who go grocery shopping without lists of any kind?

Yes... ;-)

When I go in for one item that I know I need.

It's rare that I don't come out with FAR more than I went in for! <lol>
Especially if it's early and I'm hungry.

It's a very bad idea to shop hungry!!!!!!

I do use lists when I have a number of items to remember.
But I always end up with additions.
--
Peace, Om.

menu planning hawoof General Cooking 4 24-01-2008 02:27 PM
Menu Planning again biig General Cooking 3 26-04-2006 09:30 PM
Menu Planning? Anthony General Cooking 41 25-04-2006 09:11 PM
Menu Planning? RobtE General Cooking 8 10-06-2005 02:06 PM
Menu planning Peter Aitken General Cooking 4 09-10-2004 10:43 AM